Who should the Patriots Target in this years draft.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Who should the Patriots Target in this years draft.

I know the seasons not over we will make it to the playoff probably wont do anything there but Now is the time to focus for next year.  Our team is certainly not all right.  Who Should We target in the draft? And Or Any Free agents we should consider.  ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from patswirelessfan. Show patswirelessfan's posts

Re: Who should the Patriots Target in this years draft.

New D & O co-ordinators.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

see above

a defensive player that isn't afraid to go near the opposing QB
    a RT that can pass block
    a LT that can run block
    a CB that can cover a WR one on one
    a TE
    a Kick returner that can get the ball past the 19 yard line
    a few more Wes Welkers and Kevin Faulks
    a coach that won't go for it on every fourth down

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mangoman. Show Mangoman's posts

I think they need to focus on filling some holes as opposed to taking the best player available.

1.  LB's.  
    Mayo and Guyton are good.  There's nothing much beyond them, though.
    Thomas has been in BB's doghouse.  Burgess couldn't make it with the Raiders.  Banta-Cain is average (couldn't make it with the 49ers).  Ninkovitch was couldn't make Tampa Bay's squad.  Woods will never be a major player.

2.  Secondary.
    Meriweather, McGowan, Bodden are doing the job.
    Pat Chung looks a lot like Eugene Chung.  Wheatley, Whilhite, and Butler get picked on a lot (for good reason).  Why is Springs still on the roster?

3.  RB.
    Mauroney ain't making it.  Morris is aging and injury prone.  Taylor is over the hill.
    Faulk has been a real gem, but never was a speedster and is aging.

4.  OL.  
    If an exceptional one fals in their lap. 

4.  It's a shame the Pat's had to deal with the salary cap this year.  I would have loved to see Cassel and Brady have an honest competition.  I think it would have forced TB to be more focused on the game and less focussed on Giselle and Costa Rica/Riviera/modeling, etc.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

LBs and grab another QB in the late rounds.

The D's problems starts with lack of pass rush.

The RB burn out too quickly to waste a pick on...free agency is the way to go.

In my opinion, which is moronic apparently.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

a pass rushing olb or de, it's an absolute necessity to improve the pass rush in 2010. a decent RT would be nice, i know the coaching staff are high on Kazcur, but I see him getting killed in every game

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

Ndamukong Suh.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

Pass Rushing DE or LB every single pick... hopefully 1 or 2 of them will workout. Everything is horrible because it takes 5 seconds to get anywhere near the QB, and if the QB moves a little, it takes another 5 seconds...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

QB- Nothing, they have the best in the league. It would be nice to have a real OC. The lack of one has really made an on the road and when playing from behind. 

RB- NOTHING! As much as I hate Maroney he isn't doing a bad job as of late. He is one of the better RBs when it comes to blitz pick-up. The only thing the Pats should do is try to find a replacement for K-fed. He's the only Pat that actually predates Belichick, yes, he's been around for over 9 years.

WR- A third option. You double Moss, Welker you shut the Pats down. 

OL- Get new Ts. For the love of Pat Patriot, give Sea-bass the LT job. Light and Kaczur can't stop anyone. 

TE- It rarely seems as if the Pats ever use Watson as anything more than an OL man. 

DL- Warren is good, Wilfork is great, the rest are not worth my time. 

LBs- Mayo is great, Guyton is good, the rest are not. No one on the outside can create any kind of pressure on the QB. We have one of the worst pass rushing teams I have ever laid my eyes on. Even when we Blitz we don't touch the QB.

DBs- Merriweather, McGowan, Bodden are good. Butler is learning, everyone else can't cover a bed with a bed sheet. 

O'brien and Pees are bad co-ordinators, they can't find a way to draw the best out of their players.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gulo. Show Gulo's posts

i think there are a few late draftable players that could be the next Kevin Faulk's in this league:
    Noel Devine, West Virginia- hes a really small RB who is incredibly fast and a brilliant reciever out of the backfield. could acutally be Faulks clone

Jahvid Best, Cal-Berkeley- again, smallish RB that is great recieving the ball out of the backfield and annother K.Faulk clone

at WR, Freddie Barnes from Bowling Green is an absolute monster.  he catches everything and has pretty sick speed.  hes posted crazy numbers in his career at BG but hes listed as a middle-late round selection
    i would love to see the pats select one of these players with their later picks in this upcoming draft, they could really be impact players

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Who should the Patriots Target in this years draft.:
    New D & O co-ordinators.....
    Posted by patswirelessfan

I 2nd that.  And they need to be professionals with strong voices.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Ndamukong Suh.
    Posted by FOWLER8196

agreed. whatever it takes.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeaceLaur. Show PeaceLaur's posts

1st Round - I couldn't agree more with andrewmcintosh. An OLB or DE who excels in pass rush. My personal preference is for DE, since Derrick Burgess and Jarvis Green just aren't getting it done and I really feel it's one of the weakest positions on the roster. I'd be happy with either, though. Some guys I can see the Pats in position to draft are:

Brandon Graham DE (Michigan) -- Has been a sacks machine throughout his Michigan career. Good speed rusher.
    Jason Pierre-Paul DE (USF) -- Now, his stock is on the rise and I'm not sure the Patriots will be in position to grab him, but I love this dude. He's an absolute beast at 6'6" 265 lbs. He's playing some sick football in his first season out of junior college ball. I've watched him in a couple of games and he has an incredibly quick first step, he's strong, and basically just a disruptive force on the line.
    Jerry Hughes DE (TCU) -- Plays at DE in college with great production; he's fast, strong, and gets a lot of sacks. He's projecting to probably be a 3-4 OLB in the pro game. He's versatile, and Belichick loves versatility.
    Sergio Kindle OLB (Texas) -- If the Pats want a linebacker that gets to the quarterback, Kindle is perfect.

2nd Round - Pats have three picks here so far and they have a great opportunity to shore up a few positions. I'd like to see one pick go to a DE or OLB, whichever position they didn't draft in the first round. I also would like to see them potentially go after a RT to replace Kaczur, a RB, and a WR or TE depending on who's available. Brady needs a good third WR, and I'd like to see them draft someone, but I also think they might be letting go of Ben Watson in free agency and there will probably be a couple of quality TEs in the second round. A few players I'm keeping my eye on:

Jonathan Dwyer RB (Georgia Tech) -- I know at least a couple of you are looking at him, too. He's a big, powerful dude at 6'0" 235 lbs, so I find his 4.4-4.5 speed incredibly impressive. He breaks through tackles like a total beast. We all love CJ Spiller, but Dwyer is a great talent and he won't require as high a pick as Spiller will.
    Von Miller DE/OLB (Texas A&M) -- He leads the nation in sacks this season with 17. With the problems the Patriots are having, that's pretty appealing.
    Anthony McCoy TE (USC) -- He's durable, fast, and he has very soft hands and great body control.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

After QB I think linemen are the most important players.  The Pats are getting beat at the line, losing individual matchups. 

Realistically, if you wand to replace someone like a 3rd reciever or running back who makes low money with a high draft pick you should understand how they will pay for it. 

If you replace someone who makes 800k as year like Edelman with a 1st rounder who makes 5mil than they have to lose a big money player.  Who wil they lose to pay for thier 1st draft pick?  Moss, Welker, Wilfork, Light, Thomas?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

If we are talking about this year's draft then I say that we should do the following:

1.)  Trade our 1st round pick (this year's not the one we got from the Raiders)  to the Rams in exchange for Steven Jackson.  The Rams would most likely go for this because they have been one of the worst teams in the league over the past few years and Steven Jackson although currently 26 yrs. old, will be a free agent after next season, and let's face it, they are a long long way from contending and could use the extra pick.  Steven Jackson is a beast and could produce right away (he's 2nd in the NFL in rushing yards this year), and quite frankly I just feel that we can't have the entire team composed of first and second year players (there has to be some sort of veteran prescence).

2.) Let me first start off by stating that Vollmer should be our starting LT next season and that we should also re-sign Mankins.  That said, we need to target a RT in the 2nd round to replace Kaczur.  Not only is Kaczur a liability, but his salary is due to go up to $5 mil next season, and thus could end up being a cap casualty.  In the meantime, Light could be moved to RT to play out the final year of his contract and allow whomever the player we draft at RT to be eased in to the starting role.

3.)  With our second 2nd rounder we should target a WR (this pick can be flip flopped with the previous one depending on best player available, but the premise is still the same).  Not only do we need 3rd WR to help alleviate some of the pressure off of Moss and Welker, but we need to groom someone to eventually take over as our #1 WR seeing how Moss will be a free agent after next season.  I do think that Moss will re-sign, but I feel it will be like a Junior Seau situation in that he'll only commit on a year to year basis while he tries to chase a championship ring before ultimately retiring.

4.)  With our final 2nd round pick I think that we should target an OG to replace Neal who will be a free agent after this season.  Let's face it the O-line has been average at best and now many of these guys are either on the wrong side of 30 (such as Matt Light) or are entering free agency such as Neal, Mankins, and Light (after next season).

You'll notice that I haven't targeted a DE/LB with any of these picks.  That's because they'll be long gone by the time we pick (the really promising ones anyway) so therefore I don't feel the need to waste my time contemplating which one of them to select. 

That said, I wouldn't mind taking a chance on signing Shawne Merriman wh will be a free agent after this season.  His stats are down this season which should keep his salary demands relatively reasonable as he'll  need to re-prove himself once again.  He also missed all of last season due to a knee injury as well so maybe that played a factor with his stats this season, but will also be a consideration when it comes time to negotiating a salary come contract time.

I feel that DE/LB should be our #1 target in next year's draft because the Raider's pick will be high enough for us to target perhapse the #1 rated guy at that position which I think is better than salivating over players who are like 6th or 7th best at that position like we woulkd have to do now.

I will say that my projections can change if heaven forbids that we miss the playoffs this year.  The Jets and Dolphins are only one game behind the Pats in the standings and each of those teams have beaten us once, and we have also beaten them once.  This could really make for some heart wrenching tie breaker scenarios should all three teams finish the season tied for the division lead.  Should this happen, I say package some of our picks and trade up for one of the top 10-15 picks and target the best player available or DE/LB.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

If we are talking about this year's draft then I say that we should do the following: 1.)  Trade our 1st round pick (this year's not the one we got from the Raiders)  to the Rams in exchange for Steven Jackson.  The Rams would most likely go for this because they have been one of the worst teams in the league over the past few years and Steven Jackson although currently 26 yrs. old, will be a free agent after next season, and let's face it, they are a long long way from contending and could use the extra pick.  Steven Jackson is a beast and could produce right away (he's 2nd in the NFL in rushing yards this year), and quite frankly I just feel that we can't have the entire team composed of first and second year players (there has to be some sort of veteran prescence). 2.) Let me first start off by stating that Vollmer should be our starting LT next season and that we should also re-sign Mankins.  That said, we need to target a RT in the 2nd round to replace Kaczur.  Not only is Kaczur a liability, but his salary is due to go up to $5 mil next season, and thus could end up being a cap casualty.  In the meantime, Light could be moved to RT to play out the final year of his contract and allow whomever the player we draft at RT to be eased in to the starting role. 3.)  With our second 2nd rounder we should target a WR (this pick can be flip flopped with the previous one depending on best player available, but the premise is still the same).  Not only do we need 3rd WR to help alleviate some of the pressure off of Moss and Welker, but we need to groom someone to eventually take over as our #1 WR seeing how Moss will be a free agent after next season.  I do think that Moss will re-sign, but I feel it will be like a Junior Seau situation in that he'll only commit on a year to year basis while he tries to chase a championship ring before ultimately retiring. 4.)  With our final 2nd round pick I think that we should target an OG to replace Neal who will be a free agent after this season.  Let's face it the O-line has been average at best and now many of these guys are either on the wrong side of 30 (such as Matt Light) or are entering free agency such as Neal, Mankins, and Light (after next season). You'll notice that I haven't targeted a DE/LB with any of these picks.  That's because they'll be long gone by the time we pick (the really promising ones anyway) so therefore I don't feel the need to waste my time contemplating which one of them to select.  That said, I wouldn't mind taking a chance on signing Shawne Merriman wh will be a free agent after this season.  His stats are down this season which should keep his salary demands relatively reasonable as he'll  need to re-prove himself once again.  He also missed all of last season due to a knee injury as well so maybe that played a factor with his stats this season, but will also be a consideration when it comes time to negotiating a salary come contract time. I feel that DE/LB should be our #1 target in next year's draft because the Raider's pick will be high enough for us to target perhapse the #1 rated guy at that position which I think is better than salivating over players who are like 6th or 7th best at that position like we woulkd have to do now. I will say that my projections can change if heaven forbids that we miss the playoffs this year.  The Jets and Dolphins are only one game behind the Pats in the standings and each of those teams have beaten us once, and we have also beaten them once.  This could really make for some heart wrenching tie breaker scenarios should all three teams finish the season tied for the division lead.  Should this happen, I say package some of our picks and trade up for one of the top 10-15 picks and target the best player available or DE/LB.
    Posted by angel3781

Thanks for the intelligent post. 

I get tired of people suggesting make believe scenarios as if the salary cap doesn't exist.  I think your plan is good, I just don't want to wait until 2011 to get a better D linemen.  Although it makes more sense longterm.

Sections
Shortcuts