Who was a better player Troy Brown or Wes Welker?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Re: Who was a better player Troy Brown or Wes Welker?

In response to HOTBLITZ's comment:

Tale of the tape

Troy Brown  

Height: 5-10   Weight: 196   Age: 41

Born: 7/2/1971 Barnwell , SC

College: Marshall

Experience: 15 Seasons

REC

YDS

AVG

TDS

Receiving Year Team G Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st FUM 2007 New England Patriots 1 -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- -- -- --   2006 New England Patriots 16 43 384 8.9 24.0 23 4 2 0 28 0   2005 New England Patriots 13 39 466 11.9 35.8 71 2 4 1 24 0   2004 New England Patriots 12 17 184 10.8 15.3 22 1 2 0 11 0   2003 New England Patriots 12 40 472 11.8 39.3 82T 4 4 2 18 0   2002 New England Patriots 14 97 890 9.2 63.6 38 3 3 0 48 2   2001 New England Patriots 16 101 1,199 11.9 74.9 60T 5 11 3 59 0   2000 New England Patriots 16 83 944 11.4 59.0 44T 4 12 1 45 1   1999 New England Patriots 13 36 471 13.1 36.2 37 1 7 0 23 0   1998 New England Patriots 10 23 346 15.0 34.6 52 1 5 1 14 0   1997 New England Patriots 16 41 607 14.8 37.9 67 6 11 3 23 0   1996 New England Patriots 16 21 222 10.6 13.9 38 0 2 0 10 0   1995 New England Patriots 16 14 159 11.4 9.9 31 0 3 0 7 1   1994 New England Patriots 9 -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- -- -- --   1993 New England Patriots 12 2 22 11.0 1.8 14 0 0 0 2 0   TOTAL 192 557 6,366 11.4 33.2 82 31 66 11 312 4

Wes Welker   # WR

Denver Broncos | Official Team Site

Height: 5-9   Weight: 185   Age: 31

Born: 5/1/1981 Oklahoma City , OK

College: Texas Tech

Experience: 10th season

High School: Heritage Hall School [Oklahoma City, OK]

REC

YDS

AVG

TDS

Receiving Year Team G Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st FUM 2012 New England Patriots 16 118 1,354 11.5 84.6 59 6 13 2 72 2   2011 New England Patriots 16 122 1,569 12.9 98.1 99T 9 21 4 77 0   2010 New England Patriots 15 86 848 9.9 56.5 35 7 6 0 47 0   2009 New England Patriots 14 123 1,348 11.0 96.3 58 4 8 3 71 1   2008 New England Patriots 16 111 1,165 10.5 72.8 64 3 13 1 57 1   2007 New England Patriots 16 112 1,175 10.5 73.4 42 8 10 1 65 2   2006 Miami Dolphins 16 67 687 10.3 42.9 38 1 9 0 33 0   2005 Miami Dolphins 16 29 434 15.0 27.1 47 0 6 2 20 0   2004 Miami Dolphins 14 -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- -- -- --   2004 San Diego Chargers 1 -- -- -- 0.0 -- -- -- -- -- --   TOTAL 140 768 8,580 11.2 61.3 99 38 86 13 442 6
      Year              

Troy Brown. Better in playoffs and played on D as well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to ROWDYRODRUST's comment:

Good question. I love Wes but I'd take Troy if I could only choose one. Troy was money in big games and played defense in a pinch.

Getting a little tired of seeing threads/posts in which people are hating on Wes. Like the rest of you, I'm very unhappy that he's going to be teaming up with the hated Horseface, against our Boys in Blue. But...you can't take away the tremendous contribution that Wes Welker has made to the Patriots over the past 6 years...two key drops notwithstanding. The guy was a sensational player with the Patriots, and likely has another one or two good years left. 

The conventional wisdom in the NFL is that it's better to cast off an aging player a year early, rather than a year too late. You may recall that the Pats let Richard Seymour go, though Sir Richard still had some good football left in him. But...by releasing Seymour sooner rather than later, the Pats were able to add their current starting LT, Nate Solder. Hopefully, Welker's replacement, the younger Danny Amendola, can stay healthy, and pan out for the Pats the way Solder did.

That said...turning to the Welker/Brown discussion, Troy will always be remembered as one of the main reasons for the Pats winning their first SB title. Whenever I think of Troy, I think of that gorgeous 50 yard punt return for a TD, in the 2001 AFC Title Game, in Pittsburgh...and that catch and run on that crossing pattern in the closing seconds of SB 36...to set up Adam Vinatieri's game winning 48 yard FG. I also think of that regular season OT win in Miami, when Troy won the game, after hauling in a Brady bomb.

When I think of Wes...I think of consistentcy, quickness, steadiness, and moving the chains, to keep the Pats' offense on schedule. A bad drop in the 2012 AFC Title Game, and the failure to haul in a tough catch in SB 46, to me, doesn't detract. But, had Wes made that catch, he'd have his highlight reel play, and would still be a Patriot. He would also have likely earned a bust in Cooperstown.

It's too bad that many Pats fans will only remember Welker for those drops. Wes will be playing for a chance to erase those blotches on his career resume with a SB win next season, in Denver. It's also a shame that we Patriot fans have been placed in a position where we must root strongly against him.       

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Getting a little tired of seeing threads/posts in which people are hating on Wes. Like the rest of you, I'm very unhappy that he's going to be teaming up with the hated Horseface, against our Boys in Blue. But...you can't take away the tremendous contribution that Wes Welker has made to the Patriots over the past 6 years...two key drops notwithstanding. The guy was a sensational player with the Patriots, and likely has another one or two good years left. 

The conventional wisdom in the NFL is that it's better to cast off an aging player a year early, rather than a year too late. You may recall that the Pats let Richard Seymour go, though Sir Richard still had some good football left in him. But...by releasing Seymour sooner rather than later, the Pats were able to add their current starting LT, Nate Solder. Hopefully, Welker's replacement, the younger Danny Amendola, can stay healthy, and pan out for the Pats the way Solder did.

That said...turning to the Welker/Brown discussion, Troy will always be remembered as one of the main reasons for the Pats winning their first SB title. Whenever I think of Troy, I think of that gorgeous 50 yard punt return for a TD, in the 2001 AFC Title Game, in Pittsburgh...and that catch and run on that crossing pattern in the closing seconds of SB 36...to set up Adam Vinatieri's game winning 48 yard FG. I also think of that regular season OT win in Miami, when Troy won the game, after hauling in a Brady bomb.

When I think of Wes...I think of consistentcy, quickness, steadiness, and moving the chains, to keep the Pats' offense on schedule. A bad drop in the 2012 AFC Title Game, and the failure to haul in a tough catch in SB 46, to me, doesn't detract. But, had Wes made that catch, he'd have his highlight reel play, and would still be a Patriot. He would also have likely earned a bust in Cooperstown.

It's too bad that many Pats fans will only remember Welker for those drops. Wes will be playing for a chance to erase those blotches on his career resume with a SB win next season, in Denver.         

Great freaking post TexasPat!! Respect!

btw TP... Have you changed your mind yet on playing Fantasy Football with us this season?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I'm getting a kick seeing Rusty and Godvernment going at it.  Pretty entertaining!!  Has Rusty ever said where he went to college and what he does for a living?  Just wondering.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

This thread has certainly taken a life of it's own.. Great post TP.. I think you said everything perfectly..

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Godvernment's comment:

dude you're the BURGER KING. nothing is more important than that. by your own rules you have to let me have it my way... i'm the chairman of the Fed and i graduated from Harvard Law at the top of my class... are you lonely sir? i think you may be a bit too old for me :/

In response to Godvernment's comment:

how do you go from asking everyone where they are from, to lecturing me about karl marx even though i never mentioned him, to asking me where i work and where i went to school...are we friends? is this a dating site? did i miss something? are you just mentally ill?

what does any of that have to do with troy brown, wes welker, or you not knowing who peter kropotkin is?

Hahahaha!! These comments have me rolling!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

It's too bad that many Pats fans will only remember Welker for those drops. Wes will be playing for a chance to erase those blotches on his career resume with a SB win next season, in Denver.         

Great freaking post TexasPat!! Respect!

btw TP... Have you changed your mind yet on playing Fantasy Football with us this season?

Yes...I'm willing to play, provided you team me up with fellow poster, NE Game! Now that would be well worth fantacizing over!

LOL!!!  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Yes...I'm willing to play, provided you team me up with fellow poster, NE Game! Now that would be well worth fantacizing over!

LOL!!!  

Hahaha! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Brown by far, it's not close. Wes was a great Patriot but Brown was an all timer on so many levels. 

This thread proves it. Only a compulsive contrarian like TexasPat and the expected TFB disagrees. 

"I'm getting a kick seeing Rusty and Godvernment going at it.  Pretty entertaining!!  "

I thought it was tedious. 

I have yet to see any value Godvermin brings to this forum and the political drivel is useless to me, not why we're here. 

As frustrating as Rusty can be he's brought way more solid football content than G, even on this thread. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Silly question, what next? Rodney Harrison vs. Merriweather and Chung? 

Not even TFB can pick Wes...

Sections
Shortcuts