Who was a better player Troy Brown or Wes Welker?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Re: Who was a better player Troy Brown or Wes Welker?

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

Brown by far, it's not close. Wes was a great Patriot but Brown was an all timer on so many levels. 

This thread proves it. Only a compulsive contrarian like TexasPat and the expected TFB disagrees. 

Me...TP...a "compulsive contrarian"??? On the contrary!! LOL!!!  

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

Brown the choice here.  Apparently eveyone on this board as well as the rest of the NFL knows Brown made the key plays and catches when it counted...in the Playoffs and SB!

Having said this, can we all PLEASE get over the WW signing and move on??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

Getting a little tired of seeing threads/posts in which people are hating on Wes. Like the rest of you, I'm very unhappy that he's going to be teaming up with the hated Horseface, against our Boys in Blue. But...you can't take away the tremendous contribution that Wes Welker has made to the Patriots over the past 6 years...two key drops notwithstanding. The guy was a sensational player with the Patriots, and likely has another one or two good years left.

Texas Pat-but isn't that how we deal with the separation of people we love from our lives. It helps to mask the hurt. Right now fans are feeling betrayed by Kraft, Belichick and Welker. so lets find something to make us feel better about him leaving.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

In response to NEGAME2's comment:

Getting a little tired of seeing threads/posts in which people are hating on Wes. Like the rest of you, I'm very unhappy that he's going to be teaming up with the hated Horseface, against our Boys in Blue. But...you can't take away the tremendous contribution that Wes Welker has made to the Patriots over the past 6 years...two key drops notwithstanding. The guy was a sensational player with the Patriots, and likely has another one or two good years left.

Texas Pat-but isn't that how we deal with the separation of people we love from our lives. It helps to mask the hurt. Right now fans are feeling betrayed by Kraft, Belichick and Welker. so lets find something to make us feel better about him leaving.

I think yourmisinterpreting the premise of the thread. 

I love WW. I love absolutely everything about his game and will defend him to the very end.  This thread is simply meant for banter amongst patriot fans alike on who they'd chose. Perhaps this thread could be debated down the line at some point when maybe some of the bitterness goes away but I still feel most of the answers would be the same, even with a level head..

Again I just want to have some fun with you guys and if this thread annoys you I apologize..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Troy--one of my all time favourite players.

Are you from Canada originally? I noticed you spell "favorite" the English way, which means you are very likely a guy who is from Canada. I don't know anyone who uses the English spelling of that word barring they are from England or Ontario/Canada.

Where are you from in New England?

I noticed you've dodged this question.

Oh geez .  .  . I try to use Canadian spelling all the time so I get used to it, since most of my clients are now Canadian and when I send them proposals I like to spell the words the way they expect them to be spelled.  

I was born in southeastern CT and lived in CT, RI, and MA as a kid. Graduated from high school in Massachusetts, not far from Foxboro, actually (Tri-Valley league).  Then lived in Boston proper through most of the 90s and off route 2 in central mass through much of the 2000s.  

Where are you from?  Maybe you're the bandwagoner from some other state!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to HOTBLITZ's comment:

Troy--one of my all time favourite players.

Are you from Canada originally? I noticed you spell "favorite" the English way, which means you are very likely a guy who is from Canada. I don't know anyone who uses the English spelling of that word barring they are from England or Ontario/Canada.

Where are you from in New England?

I noticed you've dodged this question.

I'm from Toronto and I believe he is from around here too.. We've had a conversation before...

Yeah HotBlitz, I work in Toronto now and live just West of there.  But I'm originally from New England. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Awesome bro.. I work at the ACC..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Awesome bro.. I work at the ACC..

Cool . . . I work on Wellington, near Simcoe . . . we should get together for a beer sometime. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Awesome buddy, definitely...

It's a small world..

If you ever plan on coming to a Leaf game send me a message and I'll hook you up with a game puck from one of the periods... I work full-time there in building operations driving the zamboni/ice crew/conversions amongt other things..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Would love to hook a fellow Pat's fan and neighbour up..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Awesome buddy, definitely...

It's a small world..

If you ever plan on coming to a Leaf game send me a message and I'll hook you up with a game puck from one of the periods... I work full-time there in building operations driving the zamboni/ice crew/conversions amongt other things..

Totally cool . . . I haven't been to a Leafs game yet, but want to go.  I'll send you a note if I can snag a ticket.  There are single tickets available and I keep thinking I may buy one and go after work some night.   I'll send you a note if I'm going. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Ya buddy you definitely should..

Sucks that Leafs tickets are ridiculously priced, especially cause of the crap product they put on the ice for years. However it is a good time and lots of nice ladies to look at..: )

Can't believe how a Leaf ticket is as much or in many cases more then a Pats ticket as I go at least once a year..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I guess you can't have a beer before the game . . . driving the Zamboni drunk is probably some kind of offence.  (Spelled offense the Canadian way too Rusty.) 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

I'm 29 and have worked there since i was 19. There are 2 older guys that do it regularly as I do most the ice maintenance.. ie cutting down the ice to brighten the lines..edging.

However I am next in line to do it full time and I have driven a few games this year my most recent one being the last Leafs/Flyers game which they dominated: )

It shoulld be noted none of this comes close to my love for the Pats..

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Ya buddy you definitely should..

Sucks that Leafs tickets are ridiculously priced, especially cause of the crap product they put on the ice for years. However it is a good time and lots of nice ladies to look at..: )

Can't believe how a Leaf ticket is as much or in many cases more then a Pats ticket as I go at least once a year..

Yeah, my Pats season tickets (40 yard line, third deck) cost 99 per seat and Leafs tickets up in the back of the arena seem to be about 120.  That's been the hesitation for me  . . . it's a lot to shell out for a single ticket.  

Leafs were looking a bit better earlier in the year . . . last few games, though, haven't been too promising. It's sort of amazing that in such a great hockey town like Toronto the team has been so bad.  It's kind of a slap in the fact to a lot of great fans.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

P.S I notice you like the Argos which along with the Jays I can get you tickets quite easily...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

P.S I notice you like the Argos which along with the Jays I can get you tickets quite easily...

We could go to a game sometime.  I've been to both Argos and Jays games (Rogers center is about two blocks from work) . . . was interesting going to the Argos.  It was fun, but the intensity level was so much lower than Foxboro it was kind of disconcerting.  Have you been to a Pats game?  Even though people complain about the crowd being quiet, there's still a lot of intensity in the stands, particularly up in the third deck where I sit.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

We could go to a game sometime.  I've been to both Argos and Jays games (Rogers center is about two blocks from work) . . . was interesting going to the Argos.  It was fun, but the intensity level was so much lower than Foxboro it was kind of disconcerting.  Have you been to a Pats game?  Even though people complain about the crowd being quiet, there's still a lot of intensity in the stands, particularly up in the third deck where I sit.  

Obviously I'll support anything local, However I'm not big on something where you get a point for missing a fg.lol

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Player? Troy. Slot receiver? Wes.

Troys had a knack for giving the team exactly what they needed from him, whatever it was, when they needed it most. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Silly question, what next? Rodney Harrison vs. Merriweather and Chung? 

Not even TFB can pick Wes...

• That play turned a likely loss into an unlikely win and LT feeling disrespected.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to ROWDYRODRUST's comment:

Good question. I love Wes but I'd take Troy if I could only choose one. Troy was money in big games and played defense in a pinch.

Getting a little tired of seeing threads/posts in which people are hating on Wes. Like the rest of you, I'm very unhappy that he's going to be teaming up with the hated Horseface, against our Boys in Blue. But...you can't take away the tremendous contribution that Wes Welker has made to the Patriots over the past 6 years...two key drops notwithstanding. The guy was a sensational player with the Patriots, and likely has another one or two good years left. 

The conventional wisdom in the NFL is that it's better to cast off an aging player a year early, rather than a year too late. You may recall that the Pats let Richard Seymour go, though Sir Richard still had some good football left in him. But...by releasing Seymour sooner rather than later, the Pats were able to add their current starting LT, Nate Solder. Hopefully, Welker's replacement, the younger Danny Amendola, can stay healthy, and pan out for the Pats the way Solder did.

That said...turning to the Welker/Brown discussion, Troy will always be remembered as one of the main reasons for the Pats winning their first SB title. Whenever I think of Troy, I think of that gorgeous 50 yard punt return for a TD, in the 2001 AFC Title Game, in Pittsburgh...and that catch and run on that crossing pattern in the closing seconds of SB 36...to set up Adam Vinatieri's game winning 48 yard FG. I also think of that regular season OT win in Miami, when Troy won the game, after hauling in a Brady bomb.

When I think of Wes...I think of consistentcy, quickness, steadiness, and moving the chains, to keep the Pats' offense on schedule. A bad drop in the 2012 AFC Title Game, and the failure to haul in a tough catch in SB 46, to me, doesn't detract. But, had Wes made that catch, he'd have his highlight reel play, and would still be a Patriot. He would also have likely earned a bust in Cooperstown.

It's too bad that many Pats fans will only remember Welker for those drops. Wes will be playing for a chance to erase those blotches on his career resume with a SB win next season, in Denver. It's also a shame that we Patriot fans have been placed in a position where we must root strongly against him.       

Well said, TP.

Sections
Shortcuts