Who will be the main competitors during the playoffs? Which teams do the Patriots fear?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Who will be the main competitors during the playoffs? Which teams do the Patriots fear?

If you put this question to ANY football player, none would say they "fear" a team.  All will be extremely confident in the ability of their team to play their game and if they do, they win.  They will understand the challenges the opponent brings to the game, but, feel they can overcome them. 

If anything, the fear they may have, is the fear they fail to play up to their abilities.  Whenever the Pats lose, you do not hear them speak of the other team as completly superior, but a team that played extremely well and the Pats missed opportunities to win the game of simply played horrid.  they will not give fodder to the opponent, a la Joey Porter and his ilk!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Re: Who will be the main competitors during the playoffs? Which teams do the Patriots fear?

I think the Eagles are very exciting. I really like their rookies LeShawn McCoy and Jeremy Maclin, who combined with DeSean Jackson, McNabb, Westbrook, and new LT Peters, could make a very good offense.

Probably too many holes overall, but it will be fun rooting for them against the Giants, Cowboys, and Redskins.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Actually, Arizona might be just as good next year, if Beanie Wells can stay healthy. He's a big time running back and could make their already dangerous offense much more balanced and even more dangerous.

Here's a good draft review of the Cardinals that came out today. It's got me convinced they are a threat...
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/reviews/Teams/Arizona-Cardinals.php

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TarheelChief. Show TarheelChief's posts

[QUOTE] PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS? IT'S NOT EVEN SUMMER YET, PLAYOFFS?
    Posted by Harleyroadking111[/QUOTE]
    You can't get on the bandwagon too early. 
    I lived in two towns where they expected to get to the playoffs.These towns were Washington and San Francisco.
    Once you create a monster or dynasty as the term in use today,the fans expect the same results year after year.
    Three years ago you were Titletown  USA.It's very difficult to give up that title.
    It also applies to other sports for Manchester thinks it should be atop the soccer world each and every year adn the Kiwis think they own the world cup in Rugby.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattadlard. Show mattadlard's posts

[QUOTE]You can't get on the bandwagon too early.  I lived in two towns where they expected to get to the playoffs.These towns were Washington and San Francisco. Once you create a monster or dynasty as the term in use today,the fans expect the same results year after year. Three years ago you were Titletown  USA.It's very difficult to give up that title. It also applies to other sports for Manchester thinks it should be atop the soccer world each and every year adn the Kiwis think they own the world cup in Rugby.
    Posted by TarheelChief[/QUOTE]

The Kiwis do own at rugby... SA are the only close ones and NZ would still batter them. Kiwis will be the best for a long time

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]NE always has the most optimistic (and usually unrealistic) fans in the NFL.  Here's a team that didn't even make the playoffs last year and is pinning its hopes on a QB coming off major reconstructive knee surgery (ACL & MCL).  And your discussion isn't about whether you can return to the playoffs, it's basically about whether any team can overcome Patriot hegemony.  Hysterical. 
    Posted by JulesWinfield[/QUOTE]

Julie the PAT'S lost 5 games last season with a QB who never started a college game and didn't make the playoffs because the process is flawed, teams with worse records that we beat outright made the playoffs.  Tom Brady was never a scrambler so don't be wringing your hands worrying about him, he'll be fine.

It's not unrealistic to talk about the PAT's in the playoffs because we are the team of the decade; for you to overlook this is hysterical at best or slightly pathetic at worst...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dead54. Show Dead54's posts

I think the only team the pats have to fear is .......................................

the Bengals....... in the preseason. Since they have absolutely nothing to lose, they will send all eleven men at brady every play hes in to try and break him. And one of their convicts will shank him. If they are lucky, maybe someone will care about them afterwards.

Honestly, the Pats schedule:

Buffalo: sux. Theres really nothing else to say.

Jets: no wr, qb battle.

Falcons: would you say they ever beat a great team last year?

Ravens: just keep getting older. They would have a great chance with their team.... If it were 2000 again. Of course, then, Flacco would still be in high school.

Broncos: Don't make me laugh. Defense? Who needs defense? Or a quarterback thats any good? McDonalds sure doesn't, so neither does McDaniels. (Cuz hes a qb guru LaughingFoot in mouthCool)

Titans: Maybe Vince will force a trade so the titans can get a receiver. But I sure doubt it.

Bucs: The best team on the roster. If only we still had bo ruud, it could a be brotherly matchup at its finest. Of course I doubt Bo would play, but still.

Next the pats face the dreaded BYE WEEK

Miami: Maybe they can use another "new offense." I hope they find one so the bad teams will copy it and fail at it.

Colts: Oh boy, by this time in the year Manning wont just be throwing coaches and teammates under the bus. He'll be throwing fans as well. You doubt me, but Peyton will find a way. If he's really clever he can blame Dungy too. And oreo. Their cookies made him sick before a game. Especially drinking all that milk. Maybe he should just blame every dairy farmer across america. And his credit card company. They tired him out with endless ads. And the fake moustache he wore for that cell phone commercial a few years ago? I'm sure it's also to blame. Why not just blame whatever teams beats him? How dare they play him? Why would they dare blitz him? How could they?

Jets: By this point mark sanchez will be starting. And by starting, I mean starting on the Matt Leinart route.

Saints: Who cares? Heath Evans cares. By this point we will know if the saints are good this year or not.

Dolphins: above?

Panthers: No receivers other than that guy named Smith. Delhomme hasnt been the same since that super bowl.

Bills: TO has likely frozen to his death by this point.

Jacksonville: See playoffs in 2007. They havent gotten any better since.

Texans: the trendy "sleeper" pick. I'm thinking O'connell > 300 yards in this game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from travlinterry. Show travlinterry's posts

Oh Hysterical, Dead54!

I agree...but the Squeelers hardly ever make it to Playoffs with us playing, though not against them this go-round.Too bad...I like to see my Squeeler-fan commuter-bus-mate scowl at me on Monday mornings ;o) And I willalways maintain the squeelers DID NOT win the last SB. AZ did. Man-child will indeed find new excuses to throw his hissy fits, and it is very entertaining at best, embarrassing at worst...creative though, no? Like probably all of you, I am not worried about Tom, he is no slouch as we know, playing hurt or healthy. And Mr Bill has not been comtemplating his navel during Draft Week...he is still our Master. The only thing about last year is this: no opposing team had the usual second thoughts about playing us w/o Tom. They thought the teeth were removed from the tiger, but they forgot Tom is surrounded by a whole lot more talent than that had left the field. Yes 11-5 sucked, we all screamed for Cassell's head on a platter, wondered what Bill was thinking?!?, 18-1 was and still is heartbreaking - So this year those opposing teams still need to re-think they're attacks, cuz one season w/o Tom was enough...for us AND our team. We learned from it, as did our Boys. 19-0 this time. For real!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]NE always has the most optimistic (and usually unrealistic) fans in the NFL.  Here's a team that didn't even make the playoffs last year and is pinning its hopes on a QB coming off major reconstructive knee surgery (ACL & MCL).  And your discussion isn't about whether you can return to the playoffs, it's basically about whether any team can overcome Patriot hegemony.  Hysterical. 

What I find funny is all of these people that keep bringing up the knee injury of Brady's and ignoring recent history that players who come of of the same injury has had equal to better success the year after.

Brady has actually had the longest time to recouperate from the injury than any of the recent victims that had the success.

SO, in actuality, Brady and company went to the SB in 2007...Brady is back and now healthy.....could possibly have a better team than 2007....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dead54. Show Dead54's posts

[QUOTE]Oh Hysterical, Dead54! I agree...
    Posted by travlinterry[/QUOTE]

I'm glad someone appreciates my brand of "humor."

I don't care what the Pats record is, as long as it gets them into the playoffs, where hopefully they will win the Super Bowl.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

[QUOTE]Julie the PAT'S lost 5 games last season with a QB who never started a college game and didn't make the playoffs because the process is flawed, teams with worse records that we beat outright made the playoffs.  Tom Brady was never a scrambler so don't be wringing your hands worrying about him, he'll be fine. It's not unrealistic to talk about the PAT's in the playoffs because we are the team of the decade; for you to overlook this is hysterical at best or slightly pathetic at worst...
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Of course it's not unrealistic to think of the Pats in the playoffs.  I wouldn't be surprised at all.  However, all this talk about the team being practically unbeatable and rivaling the 2007 season...well, that's just homer fantasy.  The Steelers are clearly the only logical pre-season choice as they were a top team all last year, won the SB, and are returning 22 or 24 starters (and one of the two losses was the punter).  Also, they still have the same players along their area of weakness (the OL), but they proved they can overcome that weakness all last year.  NE and their over-hyped and damaged QB shouldn't be discussed as a favorite of their own division, much less as a SB favorite.  (Joey Porter is right, even if he is a little bit whiny.)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dead54. Show Dead54's posts

For those of you on here harping on FANS for being positive about THEIR favorite Patriots team making the playoffs.... It's natural for fans think positively about their team. Don't believe me? Read this post on

http://forums.insidebayarea.com/topic/sell-team-al
    from what appears to be a fed up Raiders fan.

Sell the team Al

Desert Raider
    Desert Raider's picture

Current Posts: 1

Sell the team Al Davis

Sell the team you have become the league laughingstock

Sell the team SI named you the worst owner in the NFL

Sell the team the Raiders will never win until they get a better leader

Sell the team before the NFL makes you sell it

Sell the team so the Raiders can get a new stadium

Sell the team I want my kids to see the Raiders win the Super Bowl before I die

Sell the team that is the only way the Raiders will get a decent coach

Sell the team before the Raider Nation declares a Mutiny

Sell the team so I can go to another Raider game

Sell the team to Larry Ellison

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Nothing wrong with that, right? Well look at this comment posted by a Raders fan in response to this fans "poem." (Note: what is in red is unbelievable)

Mac Black
    Mac Black's picture

Current Posts: 1

Stop Riding Al!!!

SI aint that great

You really cant be a fan.

Al Built the entire organization he has the right to do what he wants with it.

Youll be the same guy calling him great when the team starts winning again.

So Raiders fans get to believe THEIR team will do good, but Pats fans can't?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]Of course it's not unrealistic to think of the Pats in the playoffs.  I wouldn't be surprised at all.  However, all this talk about the team being practically unbeatable and rivaling the 2007 season...well, that's just homer fantasy.  The Steelers are clearly the only logical pre-season choice as they were a top team all last year, won the SB, and are returning 22 or 24 starters (and one of the two losses was the punter).  Also, they still have the same players along their area of weakness (the OL), but they proved they can overcome that weakness all last year.  NE and their over-hyped and damaged QB shouldn't be discussed as a favorite of their own division, much less as a SB favorite.  (Joey Porter is right, even if he is a little bit whiny.)

Steelers are clearly the only logical pre-season choice ... to lose once again in a heartbreaking way to the Patriots in the playoffs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from clouts. Show clouts's posts

I'm a Steelers fan and I can't see any way the Patriots should fear them.  Teams that spread the ball around and hit on timing routes always kill the Zone Blitz.  It may take some time, but guarantee any team will put together 3-4 good drives.  The rest of them may be stinkers, but they will score points.

The key will be what happens on those other drives.  Are there Red Zone turnovers?  Are there Pick-6's?  Leaving a short field would be your problem, potentially making it much harder on your defense to keep the score down.

Main competitors?  Pittsburgh (Defending Champs have to be respected), Baltimore (they are for real), Indy (but I am questioning that), and SD (who I think will be their toughest challenge).

Who do they fear?  Nobody.  They are the top seed I think going into the season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from travlinterry. Show travlinterry's posts

[QUOTE]Steelers are clearly the only logical pre-season choice ... to lose once again in a heartbreaking way to the Patriots in the playoffs.
    Posted by newenglanderinexile[/QUOTE]

OH GAWWWD I HOPE SO !!!! That would be SOOOOO SWEET !! Right after we sift BOTH Mannings into the dust!! Those ugly fkn Squeelers getting their a**ses kicked all over Gillette!!! My whole year of NFL Sunday Ticket would be worth it as we come back and brake their teeny little hearts like NYG did to us. My commuter-bus-mate probably would wait out my bus for the next one, lest I crow too loud in his face ;o) (And when we were dating, I was the first and only of all of his past G/Fs to buy him one of those stoopid lousey towels for his Birthday...)   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I still believe the Steelers 3-4 defense is better than the Pats 3-4  D. And yes it is a bit unrealistic to think my Pats will go undefeated. I could see Atlanta (Ryan with Gonzalez and great running game from Turner improving D), Indy will be tough in their barn despite coaching changes and we will lose at least one divisional game...Dec, 20th in Rough Buff, could be a tough game or Miami in their barn with a rejuvenated Taylor. I believe that with Brady under center, defensive acquistions (Bodden, Spring, Brace ,Chung, Butler) and the mastermind at work, a 13-3 or 14-2 record is possible. I reiterate what I've said all along; I'd rather have the team go 12-4 and win the Super Bowl than 16-0 and lose AT ANY POINT in the playoffs.  The Pats proved they could run the ball last year so we could see more balance on offense. It could make for fewer blowouts than '07, but the win still counts regardless of the margin of victory.

Some LBs not named Mayo will have to step up in Vrabal's abscence for the defense to improve on sitiuational (3rd and longs) football. BB has to be peeved about the way the Pats D played at times last year. Don't believe me, take a good look at draft.

Lastly, Tom Brady has always been, and will always be better than Matt Cassel at most things (dating leggy supermodels, attending charitable functions, making quick reads etc....). The running game was really the unsung offensive hero of Pats season. Cassel's story was simply more captivating for the writers than discussing the 100yrd games from Green Ellis.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

IMHO, the main obstacles that must be solved in order for the Pats to win the Super Bowl are (in order of difficulty):

1/ Pittsburgh (defending SB champs, until beaten in the playoffs they will be everyone's main stumbling block to championship glory).
    2/ Tennessee  (on the assumption that last year was not a fluke)
    3/ San Diego (being in the AFC Weak gives them a heck of a launching pad to be in the playoffs)
    4/ Indianapolis (replacement of virtually the entire coaching staff, particularly the OC, of an otherwise successful team will be disruptive no matter what PM may now say to the contrary).

On the NFC side, the only worthy contenders for the AFC survivor would be:

1/ NY Giants
    2/ Philadelphia Eagles
    3/ Dallas (assuming they don't implode once again)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE] PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS? DID YOU SAY PLAYOFFS? IT'S NOT EVEN SUMMER YET, PLAYOFFS?
    Posted by Harleyroadking111[/QUOTE]
     I love it, harleyman!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]I dont see the pats fearing anyone.as for there toughest match-ups.it would be indy,pitt,and maybe the bolts.I look for the ravens to slump this year.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]
    Pissburg maybe, but they never get it done v the pats when it counts. Indy (do they play any away games?) looks very beatable, especially without starvin' marvin. The dolts? Please. not as long as they still pay this whiny prima donna...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mercury22-The-Undefeated. Show Mercury22-The-Undefeated's posts

Enough of the talk of who we will play WHEN we get to the playoffs.   How about WHO we will play WHEN we get to the Super Bowl.

The New England Patriots:  Choking in Conference and League championship games since 2006.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CEHenry3. Show CEHenry3's posts

"NE always has the most optimistic (and usually unrealistic) fans in the NFL."
    HUH?

You want unrealistic, try Detroit fans who are clamoring for their playoff tickets!  (Yes, I've seen the posts.)  How about Raiders fans, expecting to win the AFC West in a landslide?

It is not unrealistic to expect great things from a team that has made winning seasons a tradition.  They've had a winning season every year since 2001, longest current streak in the NFL.  Even in those two seasons out of the playoffs, they went 9-7 (tied in AFC East w/Jets) and 11-5 (tied w/Dolphins).  How is it unrealistic to expect to make the playoffs again?

Many people compare Tom Brady's injury and subsequent surgery to Carson Palmer's.  As such, they like to use Palmer's results the following season as a benchmark.  However, the comparison isn't valid.  To begin with, Palmer's injury was more severe.  Second, Brady's injury happened in August, Palmer's happened in January, 4 months later in the season.  Palmer started the following season, less than 8 months after surgery.  Brady's looking to start this season, but it'll be nearly a full year after his surgery.  Those extra 4 months should make a huge difference!

And if you don't think that Brady at 90% is better than a 100% Cassel?  Well, your football knowledge needs work.

Sections
Shortcuts