who will be the patriots defensive starters?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

springs                      merriweather                 chung           bodden             

thomas                bruschi                           mayo                          burgess

seymour             wilfork              warren

if it was to be a 4-3 add brace,and remove bruschi.bodden is a lock.i just put springs in there for now.ethier way this looks like a solid defense to me.what do you guys think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Re: Defensive outlook

At this time, Sanders would be out there, not Chung.  And I think on 1st and 2nd downs it will be Woods out there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Agreed that Woods starts over Burgess on 1st and 2nd down in most cases.  Burgess simply isn't a threat to drop into coverage.  Also, I think Warren comes off the field in a 4-3.  Lacks the pass-rushing skills to play 4-3 DE, and isn't as good at 4-3 DT as Wilfork, Seymour, or Brace.  I see our 4-3 DEs as Seymour, Green, Burgess and Thomas. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I know there will be substitutes and players playing diffrent positions,but as for the starters this would be it,unless sanders beats out chung.but no way woods will start over burgess if burgess is at OLB.if big thomas at 270lbs can do it.burgess at 260lbs can.but it depends on burgess passing his physical, training camp,and the pre-season on how well they play,and handle it.just on paper now it looks great.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Woods at this point is the better all around 3-4 outside linebacker than Burgess. Burgess has the pass rushing edge, a big one, but Woods is a far better option setting edge on a rush and dropping into pass coverage. Burgess has to be currently considered a liability in those two aspects of his game. Overall, this situation makes him a great option in long situations and as a down linemen in the 4-3 formation. As a starter, playing on first and second down, that makes him a worse choice.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dx7. Show dx7's posts

Re: who will be the patriots defensive starters?

In Response to who will be the patriots defensive starters?:
    [QUOTE]springs                      merriweather                 chung           bodden              thomas                bruschi                           mayo                          burgess                                                            seymour             wilfork              warren if it was to be a 4-3 add brace,and remove bruschi.bodden is a lock.i just put springs in there for now.ethier way this looks like a solid defense to me.what do you guys think?
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

Bodden..................Merriweather............Sanders...................Wilhite

Woods..............Mayo......................Thomas

Burgess...........Seymore.........Wilfork.................Warren

That's right, we're going to the 4-3 this year!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Wilhite (later on Butler)...Merriweather........Sanders (later on Chung)......Bodden
                       Woods...........Mayo........Bruschi.........Thomas
    Seymour.......Wilfork.........Warren

I'm not sure we are really going to have a real "base" this year.  I think if we tally up the numbers at the end of the year, we will find that we moved from 3-4 to 4-3 to various other sub packages so frequently, that nobody will really be able to define our "base" defense.  We've always done that to some extent, but I think we will kick that into a higher gear this year.

I've also jumped on the bandwagon that believes we're going to see a new wrinkle this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

In Response to Re: who will be the patriots defensive starters?:
    [QUOTE]Wilhite (later on Butler)...Merriweather........Sanders (later on Chung)......Bodden                    Woods...........Mayo........Bruschi.........Thomas Seymour.......Wilfork.........Warren I'm not sure we are really going to have a real "base" this year.  I think if we tally up the numbers at the end of the year, we will find that we moved from 3-4 to 4-3 to various other sub packages so frequently, that nobody will really be able to define our "base" defense.  We've always done that to some extent, but I think we will kick that into a higher gear this year. I've also jumped on the bandwagon that believes we're going to see a new wrinkle this year.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

That is the impression I have been getting lately.. they've been doing as much 4-3 drilling as they have been doing the 3-4.

I also predict Springs being cut. Wilhite will take his place. He has been crossing his t's and dotting his i's in camp and his stock is rising (as Reiss has pointed out).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

How about a 2-4-5:

Sanders

Merriweather                                      
                                                         Chung
                             Guyton       Mayo      

Bodden       Thomas                                      Burgess            Wilhite
                                   Wilfork            Brace

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

all of these defensive options, and more, will be seen this year, barring major injuries.  agreed that their may not even be a base defense to speak of.  if you go back to the 01 team, where they had willie mac as a hybrid de/olb, as with bruschi, and played around with phifer johnson and vrable going from 3-4, 4-3, along with other various combinations, you'll see that this years D has similar flexibilty with burgess and thomas able to go OLB or DE, and mayo bruschi woods and crable taking up the middle in variations, along with the versatility of chung and a healthy tank williams as hybrid LB S types.....the key word is flexibility.  and if there's one coach in history who thrives off of having a multidimentional defense it is master Bill.  it may take burgess 3-4 weeks before he really finds a groove at OLB, but trust that Bill will have him playing there and working on it, as he has always demanded the greatest amount of flexibility from his players as you all know.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

the 3-4:

Sanders 

Meriweather

Bodden                                                                         Wilhite

Wood        Brushci              Mayo           Thomas

Seymour            Wilfork           Warren

the 4-3:

Sanders

Meriweather
     Williams                                                              Chung

Guyton            Mayo              Thomas 

Green               Brace            Wilfork              Burgess

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Psycho - I like your 4-3 but think it is missing one or two cornerbacks, LOL.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

Don't forget Tank is hybrid, so what I am doing here is betting that the 4-3 has a 1CB/3SS setup with Chung in rover. He has speed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Well this is new to me, it looks like zero cornerbacks, especially if Merriweather is in centerfield.   Tank Williams and Patrick Chung are not cornerbacks by any stretch of the imagination.  So we would have 4 safeties playing zone?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

remember the "big nickel"?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bonkerbear. Show bonkerbear's posts

[QUOTE]the 3-4:                       Sanders                                                  Meriweather Bodden                                                                         Wilhite                            Wood        Brushci              Mayo           Thomas                  Seymour            Wilfork           Warren the 4-3:                   Sanders                                             Meriweather  Williams                                                              Chung                Guyton            Mayo              Thomas            Green               Brace            Wilfork              Burgess
    Posted by patpscyho[/QUOTE]

Do you think the 4-3 will provide a better pass rush than we've seen from the 3-4 the last couple of years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ayisyen. Show Ayisyen's posts

In Response to Re: Defensive outlook:
    [QUOTE]Woods at this point is the better all around 3-4 outside linebacker than Burgess. Burgess has the pass rushing edge, a big one, but Woods is a far better option setting edge on a rush and dropping into pass coverage. Burgess has to be currently considered a liability in those two aspects of his game. Overall, this situation makes him a great option in long situations and as a down linemen in the 4-3 formation. As a starter, playing on first and second down, that makes him a worse choice.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

Why do you feel Woods is better in coverage?  Based on what?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

[QUOTE]Well this is new to me, it looks like zero cornerbacks, especially if Merriweather is in centerfield.   Tank Williams and Patrick Chung are not cornerbacks by any stretch of the imagination.  So we would have 4 safeties playing zone?
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

In some forms of the 4-3, the rover rotates in zone and either supports run-stuffing or cover the flats on pass plays, or he can just key on who's got the hot hands.

This is just an educated guess. By no means am I a pro, for all we know I am wrong on both the 3-4 and 4-3.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

I posted this but I guess nobody gave a shat

Re: Pats get Burgess...

posted at 8/6/2009 7:00 PM EDT
    First: 2/13/2009
    Last: 8/10/2009
    ..................Warren........... Wilfolk .............Seymore

Burgess........Mayo...................Bruschi....................Thomas

Bodden..........Sanders................Meriweather..............Whilte

Am I close with this?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Brace will not be taking Seymour's spot in ANY formation this year.  He may spell him, or be on the field with him, but Seymour is a 3 down player who will be on the field in every formation.  He's the best player on the defense.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

[QUOTE]Brace will not be taking Seymour's spot in ANY formation this year.  He may spell him, or be on the field with him, but Seymour is a 3 down player who will be on the field in every formation.  He's the best player on the defense.
    Posted by pyegian[/QUOTE]

I agree that Seymour is the best player on this D and I hope the Pats are working to extend him instead of Wilfork, but I would think there are some situations where a sub package with two nose tackles would work out well. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Butler          Meriweather       Sanders       Bodden

Thomas           Mayo             Bru             Burgess

Seymour                  Wilfork                  Warren

Bodden is my dark horse to fall off the depth chart, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now.  I don't think Springs will stay healthy and will be cut.  Wheatley will be the nickle back covering the slot and Whilhite may be the guy to replace Bodden as a starter if he falters.

Burgess has all preseason to figure out our scheme and playbook, he can do it all.  I don't believe Bill B would ever acquire someone as just a "situational" pass rusher, versitility is his favorite trait in any player. 

I also don't believe acquiring Burgess is any reflection on Woods, we had to have depth on the edge and we had none behind Woods and Thomas, now we have three starters who can rotate at outside linebacker and we can have a fresh pass rusher on every passing down... last season we had Thomas alone and that was easy enough to block.  Burgess gets the start over Woods because of his age and experience, but I still believe Pierre will be in the running for the sack title... when he comes in he will be fresh and can really explode off the line.