WHO WILL HAVE THE BETTER CAREER: HERNANDEZ or GRONK?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

WHO WILL HAVE THE BETTER CAREER: HERNANDEZ or GRONK?

love watching these two guys. they compliment each other so well and both seem to be on the path of having long distinguished nfl careers. but since we debate things on this board, i figured it was time to get your opinions on this. gronk is the big 6'6 blocker who plays on special teams with a wide target radius and enough speed and savvy to run most routes. hernandez is the sleek sportscar of a receiver with great hands and escapability after the catch with a huge upside, both physically and mentally. aaron reminds me of a dallas clark,  gronk reminds me of an antonio gates or tony gonzalez clobe. overall, i must give the notch to gronk due to his versatility. he could end his career someday as an algie crumpler. 

for purposes of this context, i do not want you to judge their all-around abilities or vale, just about their pass-catching or route running futures...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseball4life93. Show baseball4life93's posts

Re: WHO WILL HAVE THE BETTER CAREER: HERNANDEZ or GRONK?

i think theyre going to be used differently.. as you may have seen AH is more of a faster playmaker kind of man.. GRONK on the other hand... he can block very well and has a tremendous size/ unknown speed advantage.. but i think his main glory will come in red zone situations.. he has 7tds this season..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

In Response to Re: WHO WILL HAVE THE BETTER CAREER: HERNANDEZ or GRONK?:
    must say i am surprised thus far with the results of this poll. i think gronk has the better upside. did you see that TD catch.. he is a match up nightmare. to me greatness always starts with the freakish physique, be it a kevin mchale or scotty pippen with the extra long arms, a barry sanders or woodhead with the powerful low center of gravity, a bo jackson witht the big everything with freakish speed, and so forth. with gronk, u just throw it up there and thats it... to me. esp on theis team with a healthy gronk, aaron is doomed to only being a situational pass receiving type. dont forget that brady and gronk have the HIGHEST wr-qb rating in the league, meaning its almost automatic gronk willl catch anything brady throws up there. i dont think it will even be close at the end. herny will be a watson, gronk will be a gates/gonzo HOF TE prototype!
    Posted by KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN

Well I don't think you could be any more wrong about the comparison between Watson and Hernandez. In Watsons first 6 years on the NFL he averaged a little more than 300 yards a season. In 13 games Hernandez already has 532 yards with 3 games left. Its going to be hernandez rookie year and he going to have a better year than Watsons best year. Hernandez is also much better with the bal in his hands than any TE I've seen His YAC average is 7 and in Watsons best year it was 5.4. I think Gronk has a chance to be the next Gonzalas but Hernandez is more of a Dallas Clark like. He plays the slot more and he can stretch the field. Ben Watson sucked and Hernandez is actually good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

They are both equally great at what they do. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Gronk will be the got to TD man and Hernandez will be the go to down the field man who can pick up bug yards after the catch. Unlike Dallas or Indy we drafted 2 TE's that are both all around players but excel at 2 different skills. Its why in BB we trust.

But I did vote Aaron mainly because I think he might mature into an every day receiving threat no matter who we are playing.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

In Response to Re: WHO WILL HAVE THE BETTER CAREER: HERNANDEZ or GRONK? : Well I don't think you could be any more wrong about the comparison between Watson and Hernandez. In Watsons first 6 years on the NFL he averaged a little more than 300 yards a season. In 13 games Hernandez already has 532 yards with 3 games left. Its going to be hernandez rookie year and he going to have a better year than Watsons best year. Hernandez is also much better with the bal in his hands than any TE I've seen His YAC average is 7 and in Watsons best year it was 5.4. I think Gronk has a chance to be the next Gonzalas but Hernandez is more of a Dallas Clark like. He plays the slot more and he can stretch the field. Ben Watson sucked and Hernandez is actually good.
    Posted by maine12
    very great points on your part. nothing like intelligent discourse. my point i guess is that eventually ONE of them will be allowed to rise to the very top, not both. one will have to eventually accept a more complimentary role. yes, herny can be a clark but i went with watson for barring injury i do not foresee aaron being allowed enough catches going forward to put up clark-like numbers. watson does not stinlk, have you noticeed his numbers in cleveland? he has 51 catches for almost 600 yards and over 11.5 yards per catch. you have brady throwing to him and he is in the elite category. about opportunity within a system geared towards YOU. aaron's numbers have come mostly from the early weeks of the season when he was the most featured player on offense. i do not see him with such opportunities any time soon! gronk will be the most featured tight-end for the indefinite future.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

In Response to Re: WHO WILL HAVE THE BETTER CAREER: HERNANDEZ or GRONK? : very great points on your part. nothing like intelligent discourse. my point i guess is that eventually ONE of them will be allowed to rise to the very top, not both. one will have to eventually accept a more complimentary role. yes, herny can be a clark but i went with watson for barring injury i do not foresee aaron being allowed enough catches going forward to put up clark-like numbers. watson does not stinlk, have you noticeed his numbers in cleveland? he has 51 catches for almost 600 yards and over 11.5 yards per catch. you have brady throwing to him and he is in the elite category. about opportunity within a system geared towards YOU. aaron's numbers have come mostly from the early weeks of the season when he was the most featured player on offense. i do not see him with such opportunities any time soon! gronk will be the most featured tight-end for the indefinite future.
    Posted by KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN

Brady did throw to him for six years and he Sucked. His best play as a Pat was when he chased down Champ Bailey, it wasn't him catching some big time catch or catching it for 5 and turning it into 55 like Hernandez does. I don't see why you don't think Hernandez ins't going to get the oppertunities? Crumpler is at the end of the line and Hernandez hasn't proved that he's a bad blocker just not as good as Gronk or Crump. It's easier to learn how to become a blocker then a pass catcher, so Hernandez like many other great TE's including Gates and Crumpler both earlier in there careers were pass catchers but could not block worth crap. Now both have developed blocking techniques just like Hernandez will learn. hernandez hasn't had the oppertunities because they have played so many tough defenses lately and they need Crumpler to come in and play as the 6 lineman. As for I think Cronk will always have more snaps and TDs than Hernandez, but Hernandez will will have more first downs receptions and yard then Gronk. Each year either one could be considered the better player but honestly to come and say that Gronk will be the most featured isn't true because at any time during any game either one could make the play of the game. Or maybe a linebacker or saftey is just incapable to cover Hernandez and he will have 12 receptions for 180 yards and 2 touchdowns. Thats how I see it- both are great players and could be crucial players during any game with neither be better than the other.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

They are two different type of players, one a picture of what a TE should look like and be able to do, Gronk and the other the NLF's new class of TEs huge WRs Hern.

Both will have great careers because each is asked to play different roles.  Gronk will be a TD machine and Hern will earn a ton of yards and rackup catches and YAC.

So each will be ProBowl caliber players each with specific situation type role.  They compliment each other very well.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

They are two different type of players, one a picture of what a TE should look like and be able to do, Gronk and the other the NLF's new class of TEs huge WRs Hern. Both will have great careers because each is asked to play different roles.  Gronk will be a TD machine and Hern will earn a ton of yards and rackup catches and YAC. So each will be ProBowl caliber players each with specific situation type role.  They compliment each other very well.
    Posted by Pats7393

Yeah thanks for summing up what I was trying to say.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Both of them will have a better career.  Better than the rest of the league.  Unless they leave the team.  In which case, all bets are off.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

both appear to be on their way to good careers. I think Herndandez has slightly better hands and has the ability to rack up on YAC. Gronk is a better blocker and will do better in Red Zone Offense due to his height/size and ability to shield defenders using his body. Complementary players, each with completely different strengths

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from IndianaPatsFan. Show IndianaPatsFan's posts

I think we all saw what a red zone weapon Gronkowski was going to be in the preseason. This guy is a beast. And if he's 6'6", then Sea Bass shrunk two inches, 'cause Gronk can stare him straight in the eye.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: WHO WILL HAVE THE BETTER CAREER: HERNANDEZ or GRONK? : Well I don't think you could be any more wrong about the comparison between Watson and Hernandez. In Watsons first 6 years on the NFL he averaged a little more than 300 yards a season. In 13 games Hernandez already has 532 yards with 3 games left. Its going to be hernandez rookie year and he going to have a better year than Watsons best year. Hernandez is also much better with the bal in his hands than any TE I've seen His YAC average is 7 and in Watsons best year it was 5.4. I think Gronk has a chance to be the next Gonzalas but Hernandez is more of a Dallas Clark like. He plays the slot more and he can stretch the field. Ben Watson sucked and Hernandez is actually good.
    Posted by maine12

I agree with your assessment. I do believe though that if Gronk can stay healthy (back) then his skills will let him stay on the field more often than Hernandez, therefore getting the chance to catch as many if not more balls.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

the assessment of two different guys is absolutely correct. hernandez is a big A speedy WR.
    Gronk is the quintessential TE ..  block, catch, run but your comparisons are NEW SCHOOL  ..
    he is Russ Francis incarnate! and that is high praise.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

I think Gronkandez will be the best.  Failing that maybe Hernkowski....

Who is really caring?  In at the same time, ready to leave at the same time.  When their rookie conttracts are up, we will know who was valued more

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

clearly hernandez is more of an weapon between the 20s, but gronk has been and will be a huge red zone target for the pats.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

we can only hope that they are both long term factors in this offense.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN. Show KOOLAID-CONTRARIAN's posts

I think Gronkandez will be the best.  Failing that maybe Hernkowski.... Who is really caring?  In at the same time, ready to leave at the same time.  When their rookie conttracts are up, we will know who was valued more
    Posted by Dessalines
    u can always find another hern or put out an extra receiver/woodhead type, much harder to find or replace a gronk. all things being equal, you go with a gronk! not many 6'6 OL types who can outrun safeties and even cornerbacks and can shime at go routes yet have such a huge catch radius that he always has an area simply uncoverable by a defender... could be low, hi, in front or wherever...

Sections
Shortcuts