Who will lead this team in sacks?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Who will lead this team in sacks?

It seems that we found our sack leaders for the year in DE's Mark Anderson and Andre Carter.  I think it's possible that both end up with double digit sacks, especially if the O-line is concentrating on Wilfork and Hanesworth.

Here are a few quotes and observations from various coaches and Boston Globe writer Greg A. Bedard from the past few days.

Carter-

- LT Matt Light only participated in individual drills. He was in one-on-ones for the first time and won his first two in very impressive fashion. He did lose to Andre Carter, but everyone got beat by him. Carter was awesome today.

-DE Andre Carter was a handful for the offensive line as he states his case to be a starter. He was 2-0-1 in one-on-ones, and both wins were in dominating fashion against Nate Solder and then Matt Light. Against Solder, Carter stunned the rookie with a headbutt and then went to the inside. Against Light, Carter started outside and then beat the veteran to the inside. Carter had a pressure, and then a sack in team period when he easily got past TE Rob Gronkowski.

- Looks like Andre Carter will be in the mix for a starting spot at DE. No surprise there.

Anderson-

-On the edge, Mark Anderson is just killing people with his quickness, and his outside-inside move. If I’m Jermaine Cunningham, who really struggled and has shown no moves, I’m sticking right by Anderson, Shaun Ellis and Andre Carter and learning from their array of pass rush moves.

-Johnson called Mark Anderson a "true professional. He was called on late to come into the ballgame (against Jacksonville); I'm sure he wanted to come in earlier, but that's how preseason goes sometimes. His first time on a football field (with the Pats), he made a difference. He looked good."

- Mark Anderson, as mostly a third-down end before playing two down in the second half, had three pressures, a QB hit and one missed tackle.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

Re: Who will lead this team in sacks?

Here's a look how the Pats did in the past 10 years with sacks compared to the rest of the NFL-

2010  36 (Tied for 14th in the league)
    2009  31 (T23)
    2008  31 (T14)
    2007  47 (2)
    2006  44 (5)
    2005  33 (23)
    2004  45 (T3)
    2003  41 (6)
    2002  34 (T20)
    2001  41 (T13)

I think we hit 40 easy with a pretty good shot at getting 50.  It should be interesting.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I say it will be one of 2 guys depending on how the playing time is distributed.

E.Moore or A.Carter, but would be great if they both had about 8 each

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Mark Anderson had one job as a rookie with Chicago in 2006: He came in on third down and was told to get after the quarterback.

By Shalise Manza Young
    Globe Staff / August 15, 2011

He did just that, racking up a dozen sacks and forcing four fumbles.

After that season, however, the Bears asked Anderson to diversify. He had to learn different blocks and deal with double-teams by tight ends and tackles.

And he was no longer the sack machine he looked to be in ’06.

Now Anderson reluctantly acknowledges he needed more than speed and athleticism to have success in the NFL - he had to learn how to play the game.

After totaling just 9 1/2 more sacks in three-plus seasons in Chicago, he was released last year and picked up a week later by the Texans. Anderson rediscovered his pass-rushing groove with four sacks in 11 games.

But Houston did not bring him back, and when the NFL lockout ended and free agency opened, the 28-year-old heard from just one team: the Patriots.

It was a humbling experience.

“My mind-set, my goal is to work hard. It wasn’t nothing but extra motivation,’’ Anderson said. “I’ve been here, been there, now I just know I’ve got to go out and take care of business.’’

Listed at 6 feet 4 inches, 255 pounds, Anderson is one of 18 defensive linemen on the Patriots’ roster. He opened some eyes Thursday night against Jacksonville in the preseason opener. He had one quarterback hit and was in the backfield on other occasions despite limited playing time (about 15 snaps).

“I think I did decent, but there’s still a lot that I need to improve on - playing the run, rushing the passer,’’ he said yesterday. “There’s always more for me to improve on. It’s just the first game, I’ve been back just a week, so it was good to get back out there and run around and stuff.’’

Patriots coach Bill Belichick complimented Anderson’s performance.

“Mark is a versatile player, a real hard-working kid. He competes hard on the practice field; very attentive, wants to do well, puts a lot into it, can play both sides,’’ Belichick said. “He actually played inside in Chicago as well - some 3-technique and worked some as an inside pass rusher, so he’s pretty adept when he lines up outside and comes inside.

“He’s flashed some good pass rushes through the course of camp in one-on-ones and in our team work and then again [against the Jaguars]. He’s definitely adjusting to what we’re asking him to do and he’s got a pretty good skill set. He’s an experienced player who’s rushed against a lot of good players in this league, so he has a good set of moves and skills to attack them with. We’ll see where it goes from here, but I’m glad we have him.’’

Anderson is trying to make a name - and a spot - for himself in a sea of linemen.

“All you’ve got to do is worry about yourself, do whatever you’ve got to do to help the team; work hard, and everything else will fall in place,’’ Anderson said.

He’s focused on making as few mistakes as possible, though he concedes there will be some along the way as he picks up a new system. Paying attention to detail is a big part of that, which is where defensive line coach Pepper Johnson comes in.

“Pepper, he’s just a great defensive line coach. He goes over every day how specifically he wants us to shed blocks, attacking a blocker, squeezing the tight end to the ‘C’ gap - just little small details we go over every day, we’re working on pass-rush moves,’’ Anderson said. “But we’re hitting every detail there is as a defensive lineman.’’

Johnson called Anderson “a true professional’’ and said he made a difference when he got into the game against Jacksonville.

“It’s always a new day,’’ Johnson said. “I take every day one day at a time, and I’m just trying to build on it and get better.’’

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I'd narrow it down to this group:
    Cunningham
    Carter
    Anderson
    Wright (voted the best interior rusher in the league by his peers)
    Pryor (sleeper, last seen ending Favre's career)

With the variety of ways the Patriots will mix it up, you can't possibly know who with just one week of preseason film on which to base a wild guess, especially when the starters haven't really played yet.

I'm curious to see this week's preseason game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Off of pure speed, youth and athleticism...I'd go with Anderson. The problem is, he's got to improve on the running game and might have to be used situationally, which will limit his reps. So that leaves me with Carter, just based off of his reputation and what I've seen of him in the past...I'd say he gets 9 sacks (if Haynesworth is on the team healthy). Cunningham may develop. I haven't seen enough of Moore.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Re: Who will lead this team in sacks?:
    I'd narrow it down to this group: Cunningham Carter Anderson Wright (voted the best interior rusher in the league by his peers) Pryor (sleeper, last seen ending Favre's career) With the variety of ways the Patriots will mix it up, you can't possibly know who with just one week of preseason film on which to base a wild guess, especially when the starters haven't really played yet. I'm curious to see this week's preseason game.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

I kind of forgot about Wright. I think Wright is a natural 43 end where he won't be asked to hold up guys as much and can get after it with his size, quickness and hustle. The problem is, is he healthy? As far as him being voted the best inside pass rusher by his peers... is not true, he was considered the best pass rusher by some useless web site that at one point had Meriweather the 3rd best safety in the AFC...based off statistics.

Sections
Shortcuts