who will see the ball more in 2011: Hernandez or Gronk?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jsmith54. Show Jsmith54's posts

who will see the ball more in 2011: Hernandez or Gronk?

Both have their upsides.  Although Gronk seems to be the more typical big tight end and is a very good blocker and pass catcher, hernandez how ever creates match up problems all over the field. curious to see what people think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: who will see the ball more in 2011: Hernandez or Gronk?

This is kind of a loaded question.

It all depends on the situations that are presented to the Pats this season. Here is my sense on both players.

Gronk: He is the old fashion smash your face TE that can swing out and catch passes. He is best used in shorter yard plays that can utilize his size and strength. Red zone is his play ground but even in the open field if the match up is favorable can release for a big gain. However, don't expect him to go long very often, maybe 1-3 times a game. He'll be more of a 1-10yrd range receiver who's primary job is to protect his QB and get into the end zone on the short field.

Hernandez: He is the newer hybrid model. He'll cut and burn you to death with match up issues. He can stay in as an extra blocker but he's as effective a blocker as a FB watching for the blitz, just get in the way type of blocking. He is most dangerous when you need 5-15yrds for a first down with lots of space to work with. Trying to match him up with LB's and even S's with plenty of field to play with is a dangerous game to play. On a shorter field though he's easier to match up with LB's reducing his effectiveness.

In short if the Pats turn to a smash and possession type of game where they would rather drive down the field 5 yrds at a time beating the other team to summation (which is how they are currently set up with the RB's and possession WR core) then Gronk will see more balls. If they go more towards a run and gun O that enjoys big plays and open fields trying to wear D's out winding them down then Hernandez will get more balls (but they will need a WR who can stretch the field on the roster before moving towards that style).

Odds are that it will be somewhere in between. The big bruising teams they will try the run and gun and let Hernandez run free. The smaller faster D's will see Gronk glaring at them through his steel cage on his helmet yelling "GRONK SMASH!!!". Either way having both on the roster will keep teams off balance wondering what the heck is going to happen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I think Hernandez because he will be used as a reciever more.  I think when they're both on the field Gronk is the better blocker.  I predict more yards for Hernandez and more TD's for Gronk.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i think hernandez will have more receptions and yards but gronk will have more TD's

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wildwillis. Show Wildwillis's posts

Gronk will be my TE in Fantasy I know that much, because of his sheer size, catching ability and ability to get some separation in the RZ.  I am guessing he will probably average about 10-40 Yds a game with 10 touches at the end of the season. 
    Hernandez is a "big play" guy who sparks the team with his cut backs and slash style running, he also has the ability to break a flat for a TD or a 10 yrd dump some what like Stallworth used to be able to do.  I agree, Hern will probably average 60 - 80 yrds a game but probably only 5-6 touches. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriotway. Show Patriotway's posts

Gronk. That's a no brainer!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Hm. Intersting question. I think Gronk will be on the field a lot more because he's practically an olineman, I'm fairly certain he will get more TDs...but I could see both of them around 50 catches on the season, Hernandez being a lot more between the 20s and for more yardage, with Gronk pilfereing all red zone hookups.

I think Gronk overall. The difference being the plays where he releases from a block and catches a little dump off, something I don't think is in Hernandez' bag of tricks so much, not for lack of ability, but for lack of chances to do it.

I'm hoping to see a lot of plays where they are BOTH on the field, that could potentially create matchup disasters, but only if they have someone to stretch the field a little, which I don't see on the roster at the moment. Tate/Price haven't proven a thing yet, though the potential is there for either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Yes.

They both will see the ball more.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Hopefull both. Hernadez is the big WR we need

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In Response to who will see the ball more in 2011: Hernandez or Gronk?:
    Both have their upsides.  Although Gronk seems to be the more typical big tight end and is a very good blocker and pass catcher, hernandez how ever creates match up problems all over the field. curious to see what people think?
    Posted by Jsmith54

If both stay healthy all year, I expect Hernandez to get more touches than Gronk - not because he's a better player, but because Gronk is a better blocker. It may not be a fair comparison because Gronk is more of a true TE, whereas, Hernandez may be more of a WR. So, mebbe we should be comparing Hernandez to the rest of the WR corp.

As others have already noted, Gronk is more likely to have more TDs and Hernandez will likely have more total yards - because of how they are used.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Hernandez more touches and Gonk more TD's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Herngronqez

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Hernandez had a lot more maturing to do than Gronk. He was dropping passes, and blew some routes and did disappear in a few games. However, his upside as an offensive weapon is a bit higher.

Gronk, I tend to think, will always see more reps. But in the future, I see Hern having the potential to put up Dallas Clark type numbers and really be that strange slot TE in a two Te package.

However, the ultimate prognosis on both players is how they build the offense out from around them. You can't really have an offense built around a TE the same way you can a WR or RB because TEs by their nature are not really home run threats, even the shiftiest. Ne is, as we see, an offense in transition. For this project to really take off, they need to establish perimeter WRs that can create their own mismatches as well, and the development of Vereen (possibly) into an everydown runner who also can catch/block out of the backfield (something NE has missed) would make the offense something terribly efficient and dynamic.

Sections
Shortcuts