Who will win their div's next year? Take your shot!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Re: Who will win their div's next year? Take your shot!

...Until we have a winner Killa,until we have a winner...
    The Pissing Contest by Baldur Pan.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

In Response to Re: Who will win their div's next year? Take your shot!:
    [QUOTE]It may be hard for you to argue, but not for anyone with half a brain! Passer rating means nada, look at guys like Cutler. He had a good passer rating and the team went 8-8 and missed the postseason. Brady knows the offense better. He has more chemistry with his teammates. And he makesbetter reads and decisions (and quicker) than Cassel. Look at how many times Cassel was sacked last season. As far as him not coming back from his injury, that's a farce. He was never one to scramble, so his knees are less of a factor than a QB like Cutler or McNabb. Nothing is wrong with his arm...or his brain! Brady's biggest attributes are the "intangibles". That certainly won't change due to his knee. That alone makes him a big difference over Cassel.
    Posted by bubthegrub2[/QUOTE]

Hey, I would never argue that Cassel's a better QB than Brady.  But it's interesting to see people state that Brady coming off of major reconstructive knee surgery turns a non-playoff team into the SB favorite.  Now Pat fans have plenty of things to point to other than Brady, but you have to admit there's a question in every one of the improvements.  Will Woods, Banta-Cain, or Shawn Crable be able to pick up where Vrable left off?  Will Leigh Bodden (cut from Detroit) and Shawn Springs (37 YO) be a better than what the team had last year?  Will Fred Taylor be healthy enough to contribute?  Does Joey Galloway have anything left in his tank?  I think you have to assume best-case answers to nearly all of these questions to make the Pats a SB favorite.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Joey Gallaway has had over 1000 yards in the last 4 seasons he played while healthy all of which came after his 32nd birthday the only time he didnt do well was last year when he was hurt. for most of this decade he has stayed healthy and productive.

Shawn Springs is not 37 years old. He is old but not that old. I could be wrong but I dont think so. And either way incase you didnt notice all those years we were winnign championships we were "too old" but yet we beat anyone and everyone when it counted. Age means nothing on a Bill Belichick team.

Mike Vrabel as much as I love the guy didnt do much for us last year so it wont be hard for those 3 players you mentioned to match his production as a group. The one thing Vrabes gave us was he was onteh field almost all the time and he was the guy on D with teh mic in his helmet so thats what we lost when we traded Vrabel. But as far as sacks and QB hurries go and all that we will be fine with out him if not better. If bill Belichick traded Vrabes it because he liked what he had at OLB or else he wouldnt have done it.

Leigh Bodden was not cut he was traded. And any his coaches in Detroit didnt say his lack luster year was due to lack of talent but more so that he didnt fit what they were doing in Detroit. When he played for the browns he was a good solid CB and a hard worker. He fits the bill in NE

With or with out Fred Taylor teh running game will be fine. As a team the Pats had over 2000 rushing yards last year and finished 7th in rushing last season. If Taylor goes down Sammy Morris will get more reps or Maroney or whoever. We are not a two back system we are like a 5 back system and we will be fien with or with out Taylor. The running game was not the issue last year in fact our running game was our most consistant area last season.

And you can doubt Brady all you want, all it does is make it all teh more sweeter when he comes back and dominates the league like he always does. Make sure you get some new shoes for this season so it tastes good when you put your foot in your mouth.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]When do you guys start messuring your d*cks? lol seriously gusy how long is this p*ssing contest going to go on for?
    Posted by MVPkilla[/QUOTE]

Tas - I think I have been pretty straight up on this thread. I've gotten a lot of lip service from Root who wants to play cute and deceptive and I am just answering it. 

For example if someone says something matters and I provide information related to it and then he asks why does that information matter,  he is either stupid or disingenuous. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

I think there are some really intriguing things happening in the AFC this year among the top teams. 

1.  New England would appear to be the favorite, but as has been stated, the impact of Brady's surgery is unknown, there have been some additions and subtractions to the team and there is no real way to know how those changes will impact the team. 
    2.  Pittsburgh you would have thought would be solid going into the new season, but I don't care how you slice it, this Roethlisberger issue is going to weigh heavily on the most important player on that team. 
    3.  Tennessee has lost Haynesworth.  Some may say that will not be a huge impact, but his loss could have huge implications both to the linebackers and to the defensive backs (who were great last year).  Will the QB be as effective this year as last year? 
    4.  San Diego seems to have had the least amount of change.  Combine that with the easiest division in the NFL and they could be a team to be reckoned with. 
    5.  Indy - You've seen my thoughts on this.  But without a doubt the coaching changes (at least on the surface) appear to be and may very well be a big deal. 
    6.  Baltimore - lost their important DC, maybe their best receiver, and 3 starters on D.  hmmm.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

Actually your response - "I don't go with the crowd" had nothing at all to do with football.  

It was in response to your question asking why I wasn't following the pundits. It was also because you didn't have the nads to ask what you really wanted to.

Regarding not answering your question, I understood from the beginning that it was a set up by you.  

A set up? No. As noted above and in earlier posts, you didn't deserve a straightforward response because you didn't ask the question you really wanted to ask.

Honest dialouge is not your forte (at least with me).  Deception is.  And proving my point, you just stated that the answer to your question (in your mind) is the reason for your prediction.  

How is that deceptive? I don't think you are using the right word here.

So what I think is irrelevant.  

This isn't a complete thought.

I asked you why you made the pick you did and I got the non-football answer above, when in fact, you have a football related answer that you are unwilling to share unless I answer your question.  

Man, you are behind. Peyton's biggest weakness is the main reason why I don't think they will do well.  

And you attempt to characterize me as immature. 

No. I don't. I think you have become rather trollish and dull since your early days on the board. Read JulesWinield's posts. That is more what you used to be like. Lately, you are just another whiny troll.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who will win their div's next year? Take your shot! : Once again responding with questions rather than a response.  Anyway - to answer your question - in a previous post you stated:   "It really doesn't matter who the team that beats them is unless that team actually goes to the SB." So in response to your statement, I pointed out that 3 of the colts playoff losses in the Dungy era were to the eventual superbowl champion.  I didn't make the statement.   You did .  So answer the question yourself.  If it does matter, as you said it did, why are you questioning me?  If it doesn't matter, then why did you say it did (see above).   If you quit trying to be so clever, then you might actually be taken seriously.  Right now you just look like a putz.
    Posted by underdogg[/QUOTE]

You are right. Those are my words, but I think you misconstrued them. The context was in regard to the Chargers and the fact that they beat the Colts in the playoffs - it doesn't matter if they (the Chargers) beat the Colts in the playoffs unless they actually get to the SB. Not that the Colts get some hall pass for losing to the eventual AFCCG winner or SB winner. The Colts, with the exception of one year, still get beaten in the playoffs. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Hey, I would never argue that Cassel's a better QB than Brady.  But it's interesting to see people state that Brady coming off of major reconstructive knee surgery turns a non-playoff team into the SB favorite. 

Whether you want to admit it or not, Tom Brady is the best QB in the league. I already stated why I don't believe his injury will affect him much. Sure, that's speculation, but there's solid evidence to back it up. And you non-fans keep referring to the Patriots as a "non-playoff team"! But even though they did not make the postseason in 08, it was only the second time in 31 years that an 11 win team sat out! They lost the #3 seed to a tiebreaker. So it's not such a stretch as saying a team who went 6-10 could be a contender (actually Miami went 1-15 in 07 and made the playoffs the next year, and the Ravens were 4-12 in 07 yet made it to the AFCCG last season). And after seeing the difference between the 07 offense and the 08 offense, what else really has changed? While I'm not dissing Cassel, Brady alone makes this offense so much better. And it's not due to anything that will be hampered by a tender knee. In 01 they had an 11-5 season, same as last year, and got a bye in the playoffs. So it doesn't take much improvement to make an 11 win team a serious contender, whether they missed the postseason last year or not.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

You guys must drink a lot of water cause this pissing match is still going lol

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Oh good.

Somebody brought up quarterback rating.

This is my favorite topic.

Tarvaris Jackson had a quarterback rating over 95 last season, and with Ol' number 4 coming to a Minneapolis near you in not-too-distant future, that prolific quarterbacking machine is likely to be on the trade market.

Any takers?

Anyone?

Hello?

Beuller?

Quarterback rating.

Ha!

and Ha Ha!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Are you trying to say Jackson is not as good as his QB Rating suggests he is? How dare you sir!

I call to tell you that there is a death in the family and you insult me?! You sir are an a sshole.....lol Beuller?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]Oh good. Somebody brought up quarterback rating. This is my favorite topic. Tarvaris Jackson had a quarterback rating over 95 last season, and with Ol' number 4 coming to a Minneapolis near you in not-too-distant future, that prolific quarterbacking machine is likely to be on the trade market. Any takers? Anyone? Hello? Beuller? Quarterback rating. Ha! and Ha Ha!
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Tavaris Jackson is a great quarterback. Get over it. Oh, wait. I meant Jamarcus. Jamarcus Russell. Other than that, the Raiders cannot comment any further.

-Al Davis (paraphrased)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

You are just trying to make Al Davis look crazy and old.....so what if its true thats mean! lol

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

It was in response to your question asking why I wasn't following the pundits. It was also because you didn't have the nads to ask what you really wanted to.

SO YOU HAVE NOW ADDED REMOTE MIND READER TO YOUR PORTFOLIO OF IGNORANT ARROGANCE.  GOOD FOR YOU.  I THINK IT IS A MIGHTY FINE TOOL FOR YOU TO HAVE.  THE DAY YOU CAN ACTUALLY READ MY MIND AND EMOTION WILL BE THE FIRST DAY YOU LEARN WHAT HUMILITY MEANS, OR IN ANOTHER WAY, WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER.
    No. I don't. I think you have become rather trollish and dull since your early days on the board. Read JulesWinield's posts. That is more what you used to be like. Lately, you are just another whiny troll.

ITS FUNNY THAT YOU THINK YOU HAVE SOME RIGHT TO PRANCE AROUND THESE BOARDS WITH UNFOUNDED ARROGANCE AND LABEL ME A TROLL AS IF THIS IS YOUR SITE.  I HAVE SPIRITED CONVERSATIONS WITH MANY.  APPARENTLY YOU DON'T LIKE THAT BECAUSE APPARENTLY YOU DON'T LIKE YOUR COMMENTS  OR ANY OTHER PATS FANS COMMENTS TO BE CALLED INTO QUESTION.  DO YOU FANCY YOURSELF RULER OF THE BOARD?  WHATEVER.  I SEE YOU AS I DO MOST ARROGANT PEOPLE.  THIN SKINNED.  CALL ME WHATEVER YOU LIKE.  IT DOESN'T BOTHER ME IN THE LEAST. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who will win their div's next year? Take your shot! : You are right. Those are my words, but I think you misconstrued them. The context was in regard to the Chargers and the fact that they beat the Colts in the playoffs - it doesn't matter if they (the Chargers) beat the Colts in the playoffs unless they actually get to the SB. Not that the Colts get some hall pass for losing to the eventual AFCCG winner or SB winner. The Colts, with the exception of one year, still get beaten in the playoffs. 
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

I don't think I misconstrued your words.  if your context was different, then your writing was poor. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

So are you two going to throw down or what? If so can we make it a Pay Per View and throw you guys in the cage? good old cage match should resolves your issues.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Tas- Nah.  I'm just sharing my thoughts as others do.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

In Response to Re: Who will win their div's next year? Take your shot! : Hey, I would never argue that Cassel's a better QB than Brady.  But it's interesting to see people state that Brady coming off of major reconstructive knee surgery turns a non-playoff team into the SB favorite.  Now Pat fans have plenty of things to point to other than Brady, but you have to admit there's a question in every one of the improvements.  Will Woods, Banta-Cain, or Shawn Crable be able to pick up where Vrable left off?

1. Vrabel had a terrible year last year as far as pressuring the QB with 4 sacks last year and is getting to the end of his career. I don't see much drop off and wouldn't be a bit surprised to see a slight improvement during the course of the year. Throw in a possiblity of the Pats getting Burgess which could also help the pass rush. Plus at some point we had to go with youth and don't underestimate BB when it comes to developing great linebackers.

Will Leigh Bodden (cut from Detroit) and Shawn Springs (37 YO) be a better than what the team had last year?

2. Bodden's best years were with Cleveland under Crennel, so chances are good he'll be better than what we had last year. He was also the number 2-3 free agent out there this year for CB, and the fact he flourished in a BB type system put him #1 on the Pats radar. He'll be better than Deltha O'Neal or Hobbs hands down. Shawn Springs IMO will play a starter early in the season then end the year as a back-up CB-S. I really liked the way Wilhitte played late last year. Then throw in 2nd year CB Wheatley and Darius Butler, one of these guys will step up and be the other starter. IMO this unit will be a lot better than last year at both starting positions and depth.

Will Fred Taylor be healthy enough to contribute? 

3. That's also why we have Maroney, Morris, Faulk, and maybe Green-Ellis. Lots of backs my guess all with certain roles plus last year we did alright with BJGE for 3 games coming in from the practice squad. I think the fact that Faulk will get the most snaps out of any of these backs plus the rotation will mean that the chance of injury for any of these RB's will be less. I think our leading rusher will have under 700 yards but as a team will be one of the top 10 this year in rushing.

Now the running game that is a big question for the Colts. Addai for the last year and half has been one of the worst starting running backs in the game. Guessing your going to rely a lot on Brown this year.

Does Joey Galloway have anything left in his tank?

4. Looks like more than Marvin Harrison as of today. I think he's good for 40 catches for 700 yards and 4-5 TD's. Really with Welker and Moss that's all we need, just enough of a danger to keep opposing defenses honest.  I don't think we'll see much drop off from years past. Also expect a better year from Randy Moss, the one pass Cassell couldn't hit consistently was the deep ball to Moss.

Now to turn it back to you, do you think the Colts will be able to develop a #3 receiver. Also do you think Gonzales can be consistent, or could we be looking at another Terrance Wilkins or Jerome Pathon?

Couple more questions on your Colts

How will the Colts o-line holdup already hearing some rumblings on Tony Ugoh, can Jeff Saturday what can we expect from Ryan Lilja?

Can the Colts defense stop the run more consistently?

Can Bob Sanders stay healthy?

How will Marlin Jackson play after coming back from injury?

I think you have to assume best-case answers to nearly all of these questions to make the Pats a SB favorite.

Posted by JulesWinfield

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Wiz - thought I would take a shot at your questions about the colts:

Couple more questions on your Colts

How will the Colts o-line holdup already hearing some rumblings on Tony Ugoh, can Jeff Saturday what can we expect from Ryan Lilja?

Re: Ugoh - I think there was an expectation that Ugoh would be a monster at the position and that has not happened.  That said he is not bad.  However, we did have a probowler at that position before him.  I expect Jeff Saturday to his old self.  In fact he may be better than his old self.  He got the contract he desired and I find him to be a loyal player willing to give his all.  Lilja could lose his job.  Jamey Richard and Mike Pollac (mods won't let me spell his name correctly) were drafted last year and both played quite a bit as rookies and I think they are promising and young.   

This is actually the thing I am most excited about.  Last year one colts started was cut from the team for being caught with pot and the primary back up decided to retire (at like 25 yrs old) right at the start of training camp.  The colts were incredibly thin (not only in numbers but also weight) at the position.  Initially, I'd say our starting DT's averaged about 270#, but we stumbled upon Antonio Johnson who played well for us.  This year we brought back the player we canned last year and we added two rookies including Moala out of USC.  If these guys work out - we could have a heck of a defense.  

No.  But has he ever.  A healthy sanders is a bonus, but we'll take him for 8 games.  Really our secondary is as good as it has ever been.  Our players are talented and the talent is deep.  Injuries in the secondary did not hurt us last year. 

Good question.  I think with the play of the back ups last year, however, he has a great deal of incentive to work his tail off to be ready for the season.  Otherwise, he might find himself (as good as he is) without a job.  Again, the secondary is deep enough to withstand injuries. 

Other questions: 

Gonzalez will be interesting.  He has to show not just flashes of good play, but consistent good play.  However, with Wayne and Clark, we will still be fine. 

Just as the pats are understandably excited for the year.  I think colts fans should be, as well.  That said, we both have a number of questions yet to be answered. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Dogg already did this, but I'll take my shot too:

Now to turn it back to you, do you think the Colts will be able to develop a #3 receiver.

Yes.  There are three good possibilities right now: Garcon, Hall, and Collie.  The Colts have gone into TC with a lot less potential.  One year Aaron Moorhead was the top option.  Plus, Clark can play well in the slot in a pinch, and there are numerous second year TEs who could jump into the line-up if Clark goes to the slot.  It's hard to imagine the team wouldn't be covered one way or another...

Also do you think Gonzales can be consistent, or could we be looking at another Terrance Wilkins or Jerome Pathon?

Not worried at all about Gonzo.  He's played very, very well and has the freakish work ethic the Colts expect at the position.  He will be an excellent #2 WR.

Couple more questions on your Colts How will the Colts o-line holdup already hearing some rumblings on Tony Ugoh, can Jeff Saturday what can we expect from Ryan Lilja?

Good question.  A lot of injuries at the position last year, so I imagine it could be expected to improve this year.  It's a pivotal year for Ugoh.  He definitely needs to be more consistent.  We'll see.  One thing I'm fairly certain of is that if Lilja and Saturday have injuries the team will be better off than it was last year.  The same players will step in (Richard, Justice, etc.), but they'll have a year's experience under their belts.  (Kind of similar to the argument that Wilhite or Wheatley might help improve the Pat secondary.)

Last year was a nightmare for the D.  They had two good run-stuffers at DT going into TC, but none after Week 1.  They spent the whole year searching for someone over 265 lbs who could contribute.  This year seems a little different.  Moala (305 lbs) and Taylor (320ish) from the draft.  Antonio Johnson (310) and Dan Muir (315ish), who joined the team during the season last year.  And finally, Ed Johnson (305) is back.  This should improve the game against the run.

Anyone's guess.  If history serves, probably not.  It'll be a blow if he misses time, but cushioned a little by the emergence of Melvin Bullitt.

We'll see.  The team should be pretty deep at CB, so I'm not too worried.  A lot of options: Tim Jennings, Michael Coe, Dante Hughes, Jerraud Powers, Nick Graham.  Since the system doesn't require a top cover guy, it's not that critical IMHO.  That being said, I expect Marlin Jackson to be back and playing just fine.

I think you have to assume best-case answers to nearly all of these questions to make the Pats a SB favorite.

I assume you mean to say that the Colts need best-case scenarios to be a SB favorite.  I agree.  The Steelers should be the SB favorite until either the Colts or Pats experience best-case answers to all questions provided.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who will win their div's next year? Take your shot! : Jules "points" about Tom Brady are a stunning example of selective logic and the way stats can be manipulated anyway anyone wants to defend a point. Do you think such selective use of statistics ie: babble-has any basis in reality, especially when comparing Brady to Matt Cassell-which is ridiculous on so many levels? For his next trick, Jules will use such manipulation and logic to prove that Stephon Marbury is actually better than Michael Jordan and the local golf pro is better than Tiger Woods!
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

Oh calm down, Jinty!  I'm simply making the point that Cassel performed reasonably well last year, and up-grading to TB (coming off a major injury) may not give the team the quantum leap it needs to be a shoe-in for the SB.  It's not that revolutionary a thought...  I'd kind of like hearing what use of stats you consider to be sophistry...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I thought Kevin Kline was excellent in "Sophistry's Choice."

Now if you can use "tautological" in a sentence, I think I may be able to solve the puzzle.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who will win their div's next year? Take your shot! : The thing about Brady being back is this: I don't know if he'll do better than Cassel did last year.  Cassel's QB rating was over 89 and was better than all but three of Brady's NFL seasons.  You add to that the fact that Brady's coming off major reconstructive knee surgery, and it's hard to argue that Brady will make a huge difference next year.  If Brady is better than Cassel was, it's not like you're upgrading a position that was horrible last year.  If the Pats had Rex Grossman starting last season in place of Brady - sure, a rehabbing Brady is lightyears better than Grossman.  But at this point it's hard to believe Brady will make a big difference. I disagree that there are more questions about the Colts than the Pats.  After all, the Pats missed the playoffs last year, still have major question marks at CB and the entire LB corps, and don't appear to have much hope for a steady pass rush.  Plus, and Pat fans don't like to hear this, Brady may not be the same this year.  The Colts are essentially returning a 12-win team intact.  The only loss is Harrison, and he hasn't been a huge part of the offense for a few years...
    Posted by JulesWinfield[/QUOTE]

Jules:

Although there is much logic in what you're saying, the area that separates Brady from most quarterbacks are the intangibles such as leadership and the ability to make the critical play when needed. Except for 2007, Brady's statistics over the course of his career have been fairly ordinary - but his winning percentage as a starter (especially in the playoffs) is the complete opposite.

In the Brady era, the Pats' defense (although filled with great individual players) has never been as dominating as you would expect from a championship team with more than 1 SB win and have continually shown chinks in their armor (i.e. giving up leads late into playoff/championship games) - forcing Brady and the offense to mount a last minute drive to win/preserve the lead.

As long as he is relatively healthy and doesn't lose his confidence, Brady will be back to being the difference maker he has always been on the football field.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]I thought Kevin Kline was excellent in "Sophistry's Choice." Now if you can use "tautological" in a sentence, I think I may be able to solve the puzzle.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

sweet :)!