Who would Surrender Pick 31 for Arian Foster?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Who would Surrender Pick 31 for Arian Foster?

If the Texans restrict Foster instead of using the Franchise Tag, any team can sign him away for the cost of a 1st round pick.  The Texans have the right to match but considering the cap troubles and that they have Ben Tate, they might not be willing to match a decent contract offer.  The Patriots and Bengals are the only teams with 2 first round picks and if BJGE were to leave as an Unrestricted Free Agent and Faulk retires, the Pats would be short a RB next year, with just Ridley, Vereen and Woodhead.

I compiled the stats of Foster and the top 2 RBs for the Patriots for the past two seasons.  Foster outgained our top 2 backs both on the ground and in the air.  So, who would give up pick 31 to get Foster, assuming we could?

2010 & 2011 RB Rushing - Foster vs. NE's top 2  
     ATTYDSAVGLNGTDFDFUMLST
    BJGE '10 &'1141016754.09332410300
    Woodhead '10975475.643652311
    Ridley '11874415.073311811
    Total NE594  2,663 4.48363014422

Foster605  2,840 4.69742614774

2010 & 2011 RB Receiving - Foster vs. NE's top 2 RBs 
     RECYDSAVGLNGTDFDFUMLST
    BJGE '10 &'112124411.65301200
    Wood '10& '115253610.35012300
    Total NE7378010.75313500

Foster119  1,221 10.37845311

YDS LNGTDFDFUMLST
    NE All Purpose  3,443  533117922
    Foster All Purpose  4,061  783020085

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Re: Who would trade Pick 31 for Arian Foster?

Our 31st?  That's a steal.  I think it would take both first rounders for Houston to part with him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

so using MB's mock you'd be swapping Cox for Foster. That does seem like a no-brainer, but only if there are vet FA's on the DLine that we would have a real shot at. Would the Texans sign him and then trade him to Pats for Vereen and a 2nd? How about Vollmer and a 3rd, though I think they are set at OT. I'd give em Mankins and the low 2nd in a heartbeat for Foster.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

MJD is only 26? wow. I think he would command top dollar though for a re-sign. Didn't he lead the league in rushing?

I really would like to see us pull the Corey Dillion move with the Rams and S-Jax. I think he would be cheaper then the other 2 in a re-structure and the Rams are in full rebuilding mode...again.

J-Stewart would be my 2nd choice again just for the value angle and his intangibles(run, and catch, pass protect etc..)

Foster,MJD,Rice these guys are 3 of the top 5 backs in the game and are probably not realistic for us.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: Who would trade Pick 31 for Arian Foster?:
    [QUOTE]Of course, but there is no way just a 1st does it. I suggested NE's 31st and our back end 2nd rder and maybe a cheap Woodhead for Maurice Jones Drew. I see Drew as more durbale and having a better long term bodystyle like Ray Rice. As nice as Foster is, he runs high and is prone to injury more so than a MJD. I know MJD had a leg issues a few years ago, but I am talking in generalities here.   His bowling ball body shape is ideal for an NFL back. At 26, he still has many good years left. MJD also might be cheaper than the trendy Foster and what he'll command. MJD's contract expires after 2012, so Jax may not be able to pay his market value even with a new owner there.  2 added picks to a rebuilding Jax club that may be moving to LA or London, might be make for an attractive trading partner. Houston is trying to win a SB right now and they won't want to ditch 50% of their offense. If they let the underrated BJGE walk, this kind of a move would be welcomed.  If you have two picks in each round, it's fine rebuilding on the fly, etc, but now is the time to leverage those picks for a known commodity. They can give MJD a new contract once he comes here, and just back end it to accomodate the 2014 cap hike.
    Posted by RustyGriswold[/QUOTE]
    I shouldn't have used the word trade.  I should have said "forfeited."  Because it would not be a trade.  If we sign a RFA to an offer sheet and the original team, Houston in this case, doesn't match.  We get the player for our first round pick.  PERIOD.  No other compensation is required other than to pay Foster.  If we take the combined cap charge of BJGE and Faulk last year, it is $2.75MM.  That would cover half of the acquisition price to land Foster.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sfpat. Show sfpat's posts

Re: Who would Surrender Pick 31 for Arian Foster?

Don't you give up a pick in next year's draft if you sign a RFA?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Re: Who would Surrender Pick 31 for Arian Foster?:
    [QUOTE]Don't you give up a pick in next year's draft if you sign a RFA?
    Posted by sfpat[/QUOTE]

No, this draft because F/A comes before the draft.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

okay. my bad, I thought there might be a sign and trade scenerio where Houston matched the offer but then worked out a trade with the Pats.
    Micheal Bush is a UFA. Nobody interested in him? It would be nice to have a power vet to go with Ridley and Vereen. And resigning BJGE is a not unattractive move. Not sexy, but solid. No fumbles is always a good thing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsiefan. Show pumpsiefan's posts

I guess if I had my druthers I would prefer Cox and Bush over just Foster.
    And no, not Courtney Cox and Jenna Bush over Jodie Foster.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]okay. my bad, I thought there might be a sign and trade scenerio where Houston matched the offer but then worked out a trade with the Pats. Micheal Bush is a UFA. Nobody interested in him? It would be nice to have a power vet to go with Ridley and Vereen. And resigning BJGE is a not unattractive move. Not sexy, but solid. No fumbles is always a good thing.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]

Michael Bush would not be a bad option.  He's certainly no Arian Foster but he's at least a decent duel threat as a receiver compared to BJGE.  Ball security is certainly better than Foster's, just one lost fumble in two years.  If we are going to continue the RB by committee thing, I like it.  I consider Bush an upgrade to Benny, especially in the passing game.  He's only 27, pretty durable, only missed 3 games in last 4 years. 

You know, Pumpsie, this idea has merit.  BB isn't know for flashy F/A moves.  He'd never go after Foster and give up a precious 1st round pick.  But Michael Bush shouldn't be that expensive and he compliments nicely the other backs on the roster.  I like it!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to "Re: Who would trade Pick 31 for Arian Foster?": [QUOTE]MJD is only 26? wow. I think he would command top dollar though for a re-sign. Didn't he lead the league in rushing? I really would like to see us pull the Corey Dillion move with the Rams and S-Jax. I think he would be cheaper then the other 2 in a re-structure and the Rams are in full rebuilding mode...again. J-Stewart would be my 2nd choice again just for the value angle and his intangibles(run, and catch, pass protect etc..) Foster,MJD,Rice these guys are 3 of the top 5 backs in the game and are probably not realistic for us. Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE] I agree with ya champ ----some of these top backs are not realistic for pats. I like the j Stewart possibility.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Would Houston give him up?  I think not!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]MJD is only 26? wow. I think he would command top dollar though for a re-sign. Didn't he lead the league in rushing? I really would like to see us pull the Corey Dillion move with the Rams and S-Jax. I think he would be cheaper then the other 2 in a re-structure and the Rams are in full rebuilding mode...again. J-Stewart would be my 2nd choice again just for the value angle and his intangibles(run, and catch, pass protect etc..) Foster,MJD,Rice these guys are 3 of the top 5 backs in the game and are probably not realistic for us.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

While Foster and MJD both are good runners who can also catch out of the backfield and therefore would be excellent additions to our offense, I can't see BB giving up a first round pick for either, especially with all the defensive needs the team has.  I tend to agree Champ that he's more likely to go for an older guy.  A lot depends on what he's seen with Ridley and Vereen, I think.  If he thinks either of those two can get to the point of being a steady starter, I doubt he'll do anything too flashy in free agency for a RB. Of course, Belichick surprises all of us a lot, so in some ways nothing will surprise me . . . 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who would trade Pick 31 for Arian Foster? : While Foster and MJD both are good runners who can also catch out of the backfield and therefore would be excellent additions to our offense, I can't see BB giving up a first round pick for either, especially with all the defensive needs the team has.  I tend to agree Champ that he's more likely to go for an older guy.  A lot depends on what he's seen with Ridley and Vereen, I think.  If he thinks either of those two can get to the point of being a steady starter, I doubt he'll do anything too flashy in free agency for a RB. Of course, Belichick surprises all of us a lot, so in some ways nothing will surprise me . . . 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he does surprise with some block busters. I'll never forget when he mad the move for Dillion on "Patriots Day" I called into a local radio station and broke it down about how it was a glorious day, we had the Boston Marathon the Sx day game and the SB champion Patriots picked up Corey Dillion.

The radio host was a Dolphin fan and hung up on me. lol

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who would trade Pick 31 for Arian Foster? : Yeah, he does surprise with some block busters. I'll never forget when he mad the move for Dillion on "Patriots Day" I called into a local radio station and broke it down about how it was a glorious day, we had the Boston Marathon the Sx day game and the SB champion Patriots picked up Corey Dillion. The radio host was a Dolphin fan and hung up on me. lol

I'd love to see a guy like Dillon on the team again.  Just loved watching him stiff arm defenders all the way down the field.  If we had a back like that, I'd totally agree with everything else you say about running more . . . 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

the question becomes do you have the cap room a couple of years out when you are faced with resigning the TEs?  Welker will be 8M this year

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]Would Houston give him up?  I think not!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]
    Houston is in cap jail.  They have to make some cuts.  They are already facing the likely loss of Mario Williams because he is too expensive to use the franchise tag on.  They could and may tag Foster but that move would cost $8MM meaning they would have to make other cuts.  I think there is a strong chance they try to get away with tendering him as a RFA at the first round level which would only cost $2.7MM.  If they do this, any team can make Foster an offer and if Foster accepts, Houston can either match or take the first round pick.

Since the Pats are sitting at 31, it doesn't get any cheaper than that.  If Houston matches, we forced them to spend cap they don't have thereby making them cut elsewhere and weakening an AFC play-off contender.  If they match, we lose nothing.  We are in a no lose situation. 

RBs are fairly cheap compared to other positions so the contract would not be that bad.  Could probably be done for a $5-6MM cap number and the Pats have more than enough space for it.  The question is, do they want to give up that pick?  This would be similar to the Corey Dillon move, but that was a trade, a second round pick, this would be grand theft because Dillon was a lot older than the 25 year old Foster who is a year younger than BJGE.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kenscreen. Show kenscreen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who would trade Pick 31 for Arian Foster? : I shouldn't have used the word trade.  I should have said "forfeited." 
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

Faucetman,
    I think you spoke about the below player already and the more I read and heard I really agree that this is who the 31st pick is worth losing if you call it a lost. If he was in this draft where would he be selected? So there, its a no brainier to me. 

WR: Mike Wallace

After reading and thinking about what should the Pats do in FA/Draft? I found one of the answers: If he is NOT franchised he should be our guy.

"With the compensation being a first round pick, the Patriots would only be giving up their 31st overall selection in the 2012 draft for arguably an elite wide receiver. Wallace is being considered an elite receiver; his skill set is perfect for the Patriots' offense.

With If Wallace, defenses will have to respect his deep threat or allow him to hit home runs on a regular basis. Wallace is one of the fastest, if not the fastest players in the League.

With Wallace on the outside, the Patriots' match up offense would become the un-containable. The quartet of Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Welker and Wallace would ask too many different questions of defenses and require them to be consistent in all facets of play". - - Per The Bleacher Report.

KG

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Having a back like Drew would make this team devastating. Teams like the Giants would never be able to play d like they did in the super bowl or they would be run all over (provided that we actually run) . It would also greatly open up the passing game. IMO having a back like him would improve this offense more than a "deep threat". The 2004 team was an example, clock killing Corey Dillon eating up the clock on the 9 minute drive to ice the Colts in the play-offs, Brady play action to Branch against the Steelers ect...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

[QUOTE]MJD is only 26? wow. I think he would command top dollar though for a re-sign. Didn't he lead the league in rushing? I really would like to see us pull the Corey Dillion move with the Rams and S-Jax. I think he would be cheaper then the other 2 in a re-structure and the Rams are in full rebuilding mode...again. J-Stewart would be my 2nd choice again just for the value angle and his intangibles(run, and catch, pass protect etc..) Foster,MJD,Rice these guys are 3 of the top 5 backs in the game and are probably not realistic for us.

I concur with the Steven Jackson possibility. Does he have any positive  bias towards Josh Mcdaniels like Lloyd? If so ( he had a good year in 2011), that would be great if we could get both affordably.

i think injuries with RBs are a fact of nature, but it seems MJD plays through them  better than most.

but addressing this ,and if injury was really the point of inactivity .. how would Peton Hillis look  with a flying elvis on his hat?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who would trade Pick 31 for Arian Foster? : Faucetman, I think you spoke about the below player already and the more I read and heard I really agree that this is who the 31st pick is worth losing if you call it a lost. If he was in this draft where would he be selected? So there, its a no brainier to me.  WR: Mike Wallace After reading and thinking about what should the Pats do in FA/Draft? I found one of the answers: If he is NOT franchised he should be our guy. "With the compensation being a first round pick, the Patriots would only be giving up their 31st overall selection in the 2012 draft for arguably an elite wide receiver. Wallace is being considered an elite receiver; his skill set is perfect for the Patriots' offense. With If Wallace, defenses will have to respect his deep threat or allow him to hit home runs on a regular basis. Wallace is one of the fastest, if not the fastest players in the League. With Wallace on the outside, the Patriots' match up offense would become the un-containable. The quartet of Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Welker and Wallace would ask too many different questions of defenses and require them to be consistent in all facets of play". - - Per The Bleacher Report. KG
    Posted by kenscreen[/QUOTE]

Whoa  .. that would be the answer. I did not realize he was a FA. Listening to NFL radio , they all say that Pitt has gotten old real quick so they could use draft picks to reload younger ( where have we heard this?). Plus , they may be cap strapped ( not 100% on this) .  I heard that they may even have to release Harrisson ( jerk!). But if he was our jerk ( reference Bryan Cox) would that be OK?

we would have won  2 weeks ago with a Mike Wallace!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

I applaud Faucetman for being a prime resource and forum accountant for anything cost, salary hits, cap related. Not only with the Pats but the NFL in General. I appreciate you as I'm sure many others as well.

Yes, My belief is that with what the Pats offense has now and what it's lacking is that the Pats should play for the 'future is Now' in the Brady era! The Pats 'O' really needs that missing link which is a true and proven RB that an Opposing 'D" must game plan.

Anyone who has played the game knows that if an O'line has a feature back they will play harder to make those RB plays work. Its an intangible that surfaces by association.

If it means giving up 1st round picks? Then Just DO IT! Perhaps Foster or someone else comparable.

keep up the good work

Sections
Shortcuts