Who would you draft?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Who would you draft?

1.  C. J. Spiller, RB, Clemson 5'11-195 lbs. Though he split carries with James Davis most of his career he put up some pretty impressive numbers, as a freshman he rushed for 938 yards and 12 TD's. On top of that he has some of the best hands ever to come out of College and could be a threat catching passes as much as running the ball a true double threat back and my favorite RB in the draft not named Best. Patriots would have to move up to 10-15 to get him. They obviously have the picks needed to make that move but I think it would be worth it. He is a Chris Johnson Clone!

2.  Jon Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech 6' 235 lbs.  A traditional RB who gains his yards between the tackles. Should be a solid Pro.

3.  Demarco Murray, RB, 6'1" 214 Solid All around back can find the edge easily and has good hands.

4.  Toby Gerhardt, RB, Stanford 6'1" 235 lbs.  A straight-ahead runner who is best between the tackles, Gerhart has good vision, making him able to read blocks well. He is powerful and runs with good pad level.

5.  Jahvid Best, RB, California 5'10" 195lbs.  Best possess an excellent inside quickness that enables him to hit the holes in a hurry something the Patriots have lacked since Curtis Martin. He has a special talent for cutting back in traffic, and gets top speed (4.42) as quickly as any back in the country. Fast enough to get to the corner before the defender arrives, Not only able to break tackles on the outside, but he is elusive in space with shifty hips and the ability to shake off defenders. Has rocket speed if in the open that will out run most defenders. With good overall balance well after making a move or running through arm tackles, Best is a good receiver out of the backfield.
    He is a liability in pass protection; he tends to throw his shoulder instead of moving his feet to get in position for the block. Best needs to prove he can get the tough yards inside.  He has the combination of size (if he bulks up a bit) and speed NFL teams covet. He has first round talent and should be the second back selected after Georgia Tech's Jonathan Dwyer. My Favorite RB in the Draft but not going to be attainable for the Patriots as he will go in top 6 picks likely.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from italianpastamasta1. Show italianpastamasta1's posts

Re: Who would you draft?

You only have to move up to get Spiller.  At least one of Dwyer and Best should be available at 22 unless they both blow everyone away during work outs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from italianpastamasta1. Show italianpastamasta1's posts

and Spiller is not a Chris Johnson clone.  He has never shown the same ability to run between the tackles.  His highlight videos are less impressive than Best and even Dwyer and he seems to have a bit of a fumbling problem.  I wouldn't move up to get him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from italianpastamasta1. Show italianpastamasta1's posts

Check that, no fumbling problem.  He had 0 fumbles last year.  I guess I'm thinking about someone else.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Give me one of the three......Ryan Mathews/Jonathan Dwyer/Toby Gerhart.  Mathews and Dwyer could be top 50 picks while Gerhart is likely gone by the end Rd 3.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Best is the most Chris Johnson like.

Best or Dwyer might very well be there mid-2nd round.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boston-kyle. Show Boston-kyle's posts

If we take a running back its definately NOT going to be in the first round. Id like to see Toby Gerhert in a patriots uniform. pounding the ball between the tackles. his smarts and size help in pass blocking.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjaycee. Show jjaycee's posts

Except for Warren, Wilfolk, Greene, Wright, Pryor, Meriweather, Banta-Cain, Mayo, Guyton,  Bodden, Mcgowan and Sanders, the D is a disaster. Chung has been nothing but a distraction in the locker room and on the sideline, and,  on the field, other than one sack and an int, a BUST. As is Butler, Wilhite, Wheatley, and Brace. 
    Draft- 2 DEs, with speed and power and QB sack minded. 2 OLBs, power, speed and QB sack minded, as well as drop and cover receivers, and TEs, and INT minded. Another ILB, and a safey named Taylor Mays, 6'3", 220lbs, savy, smart, fast, sure tackler as well as on pass coverage. This is a player to build a D around, and a future All-Pro. Also needed immediately, 3 corner backs!!! 

The O? Depends on who of the FA's is signed, hopefully all- but of course, there's that "team payroll budget"??? Patriots consistantly one of the lowest payrolls in the  NFL. Both BB and Kraft are cheapskates, why they get along so well. I'm afraid the dynasty is OVER-- Patriots need way too much to stay competitive and with their penny pinching ways, just can't let go of all that $$$$$$.- to do so----      

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

i want spiller, he's a bull rusher and can play the pass too

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapi61. Show BigPapi61's posts

"Re: Who would you draft?"

Derrick Morgan DE- Georgia Tech

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

jaycee: Chung has been a distraction in the locker room? I've only heard good reports about him. Are you thinking of someone else? 

And he's not a bust. He was a good special teamer playing behind solid depth at safety. Unlike Brace, Chung played well when given the opportunity. I think he'll be a good player next year.

In terms of the draft, I think BB thinks they are fine at RB and will probably use the first 4 picks on more pressing needs. I like the OLB from Michigan, but BB probably doesn't because he's only 6'-2". 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

I sure don't think BB is "fine" considering he benched Maroney and had BJGE on the bench all year.  Plus, his only healthy back was Faulk.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

title he benched him to make him think about it true but he started him in the playoff game.

I think you have to draft one somewhere because you need some more youth behind Maroney though. The other guys other than the firm are all in there 30's and most of the FA RB's are in their 30's or just about 30.

Maroney is a kid with low miles at only 24. He's not going anywhere.

I would not expect them to use a high pick on one but you never know what they will do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

He benched Maroney after a key fumble against Jacksonville, but he was starting in the playoff game. I think Maroney is out of the doghouse based on that. It's obvious that BB likes Maroney. Remember when he dissed the o line? He never dissed Maroney. I'm not saying I like Maroney, but I think Bill is fine with him as #1 next year and everyone else behind him.

BJGE is not an NFL running back. He's just not good enough.

Drafting a RB is sexy, but probably isn't the right move. Go after a top pass rusher and the secondary will be greatly improved.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

As a first choice I'd be willing to trade out any and all draft picks for three or four extra first rounders in the 2011 year.  I see that the Seymour trade has already accomplished part of this particular goal.  Good decision!

Then, as the Pats are a perennial contender but not in the final eight, I'd sign a whole pile of free agents in this uncapped year, making sure that 100% of their bonuses are counted in this year, freely spending Mr. Kraft's personal reserves of money.  If the team wins, Mr. Kraft makes all his money back and a lot more.

If it moves, sign it up.  If it doesn't move, it's probably a blocking sled.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Using any of the NE's first three picks on a RB would be a waste of a pick. Pick OL and DL with the first two and a OLB with the third pick. By NE's fourth pick, Spiller, Dwyer, Best and Gerhart will be taken. If none of these RBs is available, I'd use the fourth pick on an ILB to pair with Mayo.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from btownteamsrking. Show btownteamsrking's posts

Dwyer will be at highest a 2nd round pick and that is great value for that kind of RB.  Jahvid Best may have also slippled.  Noel Devine is another option not mentioned here who could be good, but not really a pound the rock back that we need.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnOldPatsFan. Show AnOldPatsFan's posts

We need to shore up our defensive front 7 through the draft. Strong, young, and quick....I think Gerhart would be the best fit at running back for the Pats.  For the reasons mentioned in first sentence and he will probably still be on the board for the Pats 3rd pick in the second round.  That still might be high for him but if I am correct the Pats have no 3rd round picks this year.  Gerhart is going to be a monster in the NFL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Dwyer could be there for our 2nd number 2. I wouldnt gor RB with the first two, we need too much help in so many other crutial areas, dline/oline, both lb's spots, we mosdef need some safety help and need a number 2 rec very bad. Some dont wanna hear it, but WW will never be the same and wont be back until late NOV-DEC. No way to get around it, Moss is and has been our only consistent scoring threat. By the way mark me down as having Earl Thomas, this guy is a stud. I admit Dline/Oline and Lbackers are more urgent, but I just think he and Berry are so much alike. And if you believe that as well, then you could be getting Ed Reed at 22. Thomas is a ball hawk who can and will tackle and play the run. Having a potential great FS for the next 10-12 years is extremely tempting to me, if hes there at 22, Im buying.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

Trading up?  BB (for whom we all trust)  trades down for "value"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

jay Butler is a bust?!!! you are grading these guys in a year where there were many of holes in the D and not a true leader in the locker room where the best example they had was the bashing of BB by AD and Springs.

Before you classify them as bust give them a chance, I personally think Butler will be a solid corner and has the skills to be a #1 with more development.  Brace I agree needs to step up, he needs to get mentally tough and not be allowed to be pushed around.  The Ws I agree get rid of both of them.

I don't know what to make of Chung yet, i was not aware he was a distraction to the team.  I like what he brings to the team but if he is a problem as you stated then he needs to be lead back into the team's concept the problem is who will do that?

I must sound like a broken record but i would love to see Teddy and Willie as coaches on the sidelines, who better to teach these guys the Patriot way than the ones that started it all?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

doesn't matter what we think or poll.......BB always trades down .....we have past on some dozen solid linebackers and we will pass on more this year.........and keep Guyton and Woods..........its assinine............

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

I don't think Chung was an issue. He was known as  a high character type guy and leader at Oregon, and Belichick raves about him. I honestly think the poster made that up or was confusing Chung with someone else. I think his biggest issue is learning the defense at safety. When he played close to full time there seemed to be some coverage mistakes, and I would hope those issues would clear up as he learns the d better.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsGhost. Show RedsGhost's posts

Jaycee...your entire post is mostly drivel.
    1- Chung a disaster? In the locker room? On the side line? Based on????
    2- So, after ONE year with a fired DC, you label Chung, Butler, Brace and 2nd year players Wilhite and Wheatly busts?? So, if they don't start to contribute on their first professional game, fire'em? Bruschi, Faulk, Light and Neal are glad you weren't the coach or GM when they were coming up.
    3- You are very well mistaken on Kraft and their payroll. They CONSISTENTLY spend to the NFL max. Just because they don't spend a billion on their QB and another trillion on a RB doesn't mean they're cheap. They pay their middle players better than most teams which makes a great deal of sense in security and in the lockerroom. They also pay their top players very well...not Peyton or Eli very well, but you don't see Tom B. complaining.

Paul K- Not a good idea about trading all our chips for 1st rounders in 2011. All the talent is coming out early this year due to the rookie pay cap, so therefore there won't be an awful lot of good talent in 2011. There will be some and that's why it's good to have the potential top 5 pick from Oakland. But, we want to use ALL our picks this year, especially on D and the Oline and sign some FA Vets.
    This club has the makings of a good,dynamic young team. With our ammo in this year and next years draft we'll be back to an elite level very shortly.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cellucci. Show cellucci's posts

tim tebow, time for some new blood and energy