Who would you keep, Brady or BB?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Who would you keep, Brady or BB?

I know. It is a tough question. But I ask this setting aside the fact players age or get hurt.

I would keep Brady and take my chances on finding a good coach. But I suspect most Pats' fans will vote to keep BB. It's just too hard to find that elite QB.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Re: Who would you keep, Brady or BB?

BB would just move uo to full time GM, and bring in a similar guy like himself to coach.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

i'd get rid of BP

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I would go with Brady. BB is a genius of a head coach but in the end he can only draw up the plan, if there is not a good QB to execute it, it doesn't matter how good it is.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I do not think there is any question here at all. Why? Because there is no really good team without a really good coach. It may be hard to replace a QB like Brady... but it is much harder to replace that level of talent at coach.

The history of the NFL is littered with excellent to even great QBs who never won a championship. Jurgensen is a great example. I would say he is up there next to Unitas as a QB. I saw both of them play. And not just on TV. Archie Manning was also exceptional. Then there was Dan Fouts and then Dan Marino. There was Jim Kelly and Warren Moon (the latter Very underrated). More recently Rivers is a fair example.

But what great coaches got "nowhere"? You could make a case for Marv Levy and Shottenheimer. While Don Coryell was a great offense mind he was not an exceptional head coach. Maybe more like a Buddy Ryan but likable and on the other side of the ball.

QB may be the most important player but the most important person to a team is the head coach. Period. It starts there.

Put together your dream teams Babe. They come and go. Every few years thre is another one. Every decade. They always have some great names. Whether it is last year's Eagles or Dallas every other year or the Chargers, or.... whoever. Go back to past decades. There are all kinds of examples of teams that were so good ON PAPER. But coaches are not good on paper. They either get more wins than the other guy or more wins than they "should" (like 2008, like 2010... etc.) or they do not.

You want to start a fantasy team... a team that is great as a video game or something to "score" each week and show your great insight into talent while you drink your beer? Then pick a QB. You want a great team, start with the coach. Then build the roster.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

In Response to Re: Who would you keep, Brady or BB?:
    [QUOTE]I do not think there is any question here at all. Why? Because there is no really good team without a really good coach. It may be hard to replace a QB like Brady... but it is much harder to replace that level of talent at coach. The history of the NFL is littered with excellent to even great QBs who never won a championship. Jurgensen is a great example. I would say he is up there next to Unitas as a QB. I saw both of them play. And not just on TV. Archie Manning was also exceptional. Then there was Dan Fouts and then Dan Marino. There was Jim Kelly and Warren Moon (the latter Very underrated). More recently Rivers is a fair example. But what great coaches got "nowhere"? You could make a case for Marv Levy and Shottenheimer. While Don Coryell was a great offense mind he was not an exceptional head coach. Maybe more like a Buddy Ryan but likable and on the other side of the ball. QB may be the most important player but the most important person to a team is the head coach. Period. It starts there. Put together your dream teams Babe. They come and go. Every few years thre is another one. Every decade. They always have some great names. Whether it is last year's Eagles or Dallas every other year or the Chargers, or.... whoever. Go back to past decades. There are all kinds of examples of teams that were so good ON PAPER. But coaches are not good on paper. They either get more wins than the other guy or more wins than they "should" (like 2008, like 2010... etc.) or they do not. You want to start a fantasy team... a team that is great as a video game or something to "score" each week and show your great insight into talent while you drink your beer? Then pick a QB. You want a great team, start with the coach. Then build the roster.
    Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

Fantastic post, exactly what I was thinking. Compare the number of GREAT QBs to Coaches, and you'll quickly realize that a great QB comes into the league about once every 2-3 years. Great coaches appear every 15 or so. Those are the numbers I come up with off the top of my head at least. And recently (historically speaking, 10 years or so) it's been a lot easier to come across a good to great QB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

BB.  2008 proved why.

Brady's age upcoming here will show signs of him fading, but BB could coach/GM until 75 if he wanted.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

BB can coach up bad talent and can still win even without a elite QB (ala Cassel) so I don't doubt he could still get us to the dance and even though we wouldn't have nearly as good of a chance at the SB in the end.

With Brady we have a good on field leader but without the right talent coaches might not be able to plan around more then half the team being 5+ round picks.

I'd go with BB

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

[QUOTE]I do not think there is any question here at all. Why? Because there is no really good team without a really good coach. It may be hard to replace a QB like Brady... but it is much harder to replace that level of talent at coach. The history of the NFL is littered with excellent to even great QBs who never won a championship. Jurgensen is a great example. I would say he is up there next to Unitas as a QB. I saw both of them play. And not just on TV. Archie Manning was also exceptional. Then there was Dan Fouts and then Dan Marino. There was Jim Kelly and Warren Moon (the latter Very underrated). More recently Rivers is a fair example. But what great coaches got "nowhere"? You could make a case for Marv Levy and Shottenheimer. While Don Coryell was a great offense mind he was not an exceptional head coach. Maybe more like a Buddy Ryan but likable and on the other side of the ball. QB may be the most important player but the most important person to a team is the head coach. Period. It starts there. Put together your dream teams Babe. They come and go. Every few years thre is another one. Every decade. They always have some great names. Whether it is last year's Eagles or Dallas every other year or the Chargers, or.... whoever. Go back to past decades. There are all kinds of examples of teams that were so good ON PAPER. But coaches are not good on paper. They either get more wins than the other guy or more wins than they "should" (like 2008, like 2010... etc.) or they do not. You want to start a fantasy team... a team that is great as a video game or something to "score" each week and show your great insight into talent while you drink your beer? Then pick a QB. You want a great team, start with the coach. Then build the roster.
    Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

A coach cant be regarded as great until he has won a title

Not so a QB

It helps a QB's resume to have won a championship obviously, but winning one is not necessarily a prerequisite for him to be labeled an all timer

Like, for instance, all those names you mention above: Jurgensen, Marino, Moon et al

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'd keep Belichick.  He's the main reason for the team's success I think.  Not to discount Brady who's also very important, but I think Belichick would figure out some way to get us a top QB or, in the absence of a top quarterback, devise schemes that would work reasonably well with just an average QB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger have won 4 of the last 7 super bowls. I'll take Belichick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Football is a coaches league, huge rosters and many moving pieces make one great football mind a must. Most historically great QB prospects were also paired with a great coach who helped make them great.  

Many great QB talents went to horrible organizations and the label bust was unfairly dumped on them. Alex Smith under anyone other than Harbaugh is a bust, put a nasty run game behind him and a great D and he takes the 49ers out of the Payaton Manning hunt.  

I'll take BB over anyone, he has a 6'5" QB sitting on the bench and had a winning season with a QB who didn't start one game in college.

And that's a troll question, why must I choose?  BB chose Tom Brady in the 6th round, that's enough for me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

Brady.

More likely games are won/lost on the field than off it. 

The Pros/Cons of Brady performance are clear to see, and they're overwhemly Pro, even when BB surrounds him with a near imbecile OC and mediocre talent.    
    To me, BB's finger prints on the team's success sans Brady are less clear.  What about Cassel's year?  Cassel inherited a damn good team.  Has not been able to attract and retain high quality coaches. Has made a joke of it with several of the current lot he's hired. Draft record very spotty, but not obvious because Brady makes marginal teammates better. This, plus a great owner, allow BB to make risky draft picks that offer huge upside.  But long standing weaknesses not addressed.  He wasn't very great as Cleveland's HC. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

"Mediocre talent"? NE had arguably the most loaded offense in the NFL and definitely in the AFC.

More so than when he was winning 3 SBs, that is for sure.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]"Mediocre talent"? NE had arguably the most loaded offense in the NFL and definitely in the AFC. More so than when he was winning 3 SBs, that is for sure.
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

Maybe in the AFC, but I think the Saints and GB had much greater depth and versatility in their weapons than the Pats.   It's a tribute to BB and Brady that they were able to play on par with those teams given the fact that the talent in the skill positions dropped off precipitously after Brady, Gronk, Welker, and Hernandez.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]i'd get rid of BP
    Posted by patthepatriot666[/QUOTE]

Congrats. You get the prize for being the first to go anal. I figured it wouldn't take long for a chump to show up.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]I'd keep Belichick.  He's the main reason for the team's success I think.  Not to discount Brady who's also very important, but I think Belichick would figure out some way to get us a top QB or, in the absence of a top quarterback, devise schemes that would work reasonably well with just an average QB.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

I've been waiting a LONG time for him to get us a real good CB. Hasn't happened. So I'm not as confident as you he would get us an elite QB.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]Football is a coaches league, huge rosters and many moving pieces make one great football mind a must. Most historically great QB prospects were also paired with a great coach who helped make them great.   Many great QB talents went to horrible organizations and the label bust was unfairly dumped on them. Alex Smith under anyone other than Harbaugh is a bust, put a nasty run game behind him and a great D and he takes the 49ers out of the Payaton Manning hunt.   I'll take BB over anyone, he has a 6'5" QB sitting on the bench and had a winning season with a QB who didn't start one game in college. And that's a troll question, why must I choose?  BB chose Tom Brady in the 6th round, that's enough for me.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Did someone hold a gun to your f'n head and make you come in here and choose?

I would say the troll is the one who comes in and fires a shot of discontent in an otherwise civil thread. Hell, even Rusty was able to control himself. But not YOU. Take a look in the mirror when you call people trolls. And of course you're wrong, as you always are. It's as dependable as the sunrise.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who would you keep, Brady or BB? : I've been waiting a LONG time for him to get us a real good CB. Hasn't happened. So I'm not as confident as you he would get us an elite QB.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

You mean you don't like Slater and Edelman in the secondary? Wink

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who would you keep, Brady or BB? : You mean you don't like Slater and Edelman in the secondary?
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

I LOVE Slater and Edelman in the secondary. Just on some other team than ours.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from oleme. Show oleme's posts

Do they play the same position?  What's the difference between an orange?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who would you keep, Brady or BB? : And of course you're wrong, as you always are. It's as dependable as the sunrise.

Burp

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who would you keep, Brady or BB? : Burp
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

That is clearly one of the most intellectual utterances of your life.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Who would you keep, Brady or BB?:
    [QUOTE]I know. It is a tough question. But I ask this setting aside the fact players age or get hurt. I would keep Brady and take my chances on finding a good coach. But I suspect most Pats' fans will vote to keep BB. It's just too hard to find that elite QB.

It certainly is a tough question, I know...  But I ask this after even setting aside the fact of Babe's 3000 posts railing against Bill Belichick:  How can one NOT wanna just jump right in to any babeparilli "Belichick or Brady" thread, when the honest and objective very first sentence that sends you on your initial way, begins as such- "'...I ask this setting aside the fact that players age OR get hurt'?"

Pardon me while I don't just jump at the chance to jump right in to a ridiculous altematum, backed by loaded and absurd rhetoric from the get-go...