who's BETTER, MAXWELL/SHERMAN or REVIS/BROWNER? which unit will be the BEST?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: who's BETTER, MAXWELL/SHERMAN or REVIS/BROWNER? which unit will be the BEST?

Revis + Dennard, McCourty + Browner.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Re: who's BETTER, MAXWELL/SHERMAN or REVIS/BROWNER? which unit will be the BEST?

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Maxwell/Sherman will be the best. But that is due to continuity/familiarity with each other

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

profootballfocus.com deal grader

+2.0: A move that is guaranteed to take your franchise to another level

It would seem unlikely … 

+1.5: That’s just great value!

Darrelle Revis (CB) to Patriots: 1-year, $12m all guaranteed

The rich get richer. Even though Revis wasn’t fully comfortable on his return from a torn ACL he was extremely productive. He ended the year our fourth ranked starting corner by coverage grades alone and allowed the fewest yards per coverage snap. And he did all that playing in a scheme that really didn’t get the best out of him. We’ve little doubt that he’ll be even closer to his best next year and that means the Patriots have landed an actual living, breathing, shutdown corner.

+1.0: That should work out very nicely!

. . .

0.0: Color us indifferent

Aqib Talib (CB) to Broncos: 6-year, $57m with $26m guaranteed

There is no doubting that Talib is a talented corner, but he has a world of red flags whether it be off-field concerns, injuries or just awful tape (he was truly victimized by Josh Gordon in the Cleveland game last season). Denver chose to make a run at Talib and hand him big money despite already getting impressive play from Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie in-house. It’s a deal that has the potential to work out OK for them, but there are a lot of risks attached to that significant investment.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

Maxwell/Sherman will be the best. But that is due to continuity/familiarity with each other

.. in the system Seattle plays.  Has anyone ever wondered how good Sherman would be if he had to cover a receiver one on one instead of simply staying to the left side of the defensive backfield all game long.  Revis has proved he can be a shut-down corner when in man to man coverage.  That question has yet to be answered by Sherman.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Thats an easy one. The Team with the better pass rush so that leaves us out barring a signing of Julius Peppers.

I dont need to compete with seattles secondary. I want to beat the TEAM when we make it to the SB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:

In response to rtuinila's comment:

.. in the system Seattle plays.  Has anyone ever wondered how good Sherman would be if he had to cover a receiver one on one instead of simply staying to the left side of the defensive backfield all game long.  Revis has proved he can be a shut-down corner when in man to man coverage.  That question has yet to be answered by Sherman.

Huh?  He played on the left side and usually doesnt follow guys, ok but he Does Play man to man....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Thats an easy one. The Team with the better pass rush so that leaves us out barring a signing of Julius Peppers.

I dont need to compete with seattles secondary. I want to beat the TEAM when we make it to the SB.

This one. If the pats secondary had a good pass rush, things would be different. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The safeties in Seattle are what allow the "big" corners the freedom to wrestle and press, we want McCourty back there deep.  

But the starting corners will likely be Revis and Dennard.  BB is a big believer in the notion there are no starters, it's all about match-ups and those two are the best pure press corners on our team.  Add a healthy Browner, and that would be a matchup nightmare for opposing teams.  Icing would be Arrington and the remote possibility of a healthy Adrian Wilson, suddenly we're bigger and likely better than Seattle's backfield.  

Now about our DT situation..? 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

The safeties in Seattle are what allow the "big" corners the freedom to wrestle and press, we want McCourty back there deep.  

But the starting corners will likely be Revis and Dennard.  BB is a big believer in the notion there are no starters, it's all about match-ups and those two are the best pure press corners on our team.  Add a healthy Browner, and that would be a matchup nightmare for opposing teams.  Icing would be Arrington and the remote possibility of a healthy Adrian Wilson, suddenly we're bigger and likely better than Seattle's backfield.  

Now about our DT situation..? 

Yeah, the little situation we have there. Any thoughts on what you would do Wozz? Who in the current stable do you keep, who do you add in Fa and draft, what do u do about VW?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Wozz the Carpenter, hit nail on head again, Seattle's Safeties are huge in that Defensive Backfield. If the NFL keeps evolving like it is going, Safeties will be more important than the Corners's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Guess I should have asked, what do you mean by best? Are you using team wins and losses? Passes defensed? Ints? Total Passing yards? Passing Yards per Play? Passing yards per completion? 

I still say the backfield that is used to playing with each other and already have their communication down will be better than the one that is learning how to play together and making mistakes. Now if Revis wasn't a one year rental then I might give it to the Pats next year. But this year, it will be the Seahawks with the better unit.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Yeah, the little situation we have there. Any thoughts on what you would do Wozz? Who in the current stable do you keep, who do you add in Fa and draft, what do u do about VW?

I'd trade all seven of our picks up into the draft, consolidate to four or five higher picks, I'd take two nose tackles and two center/guards... but then I'm not BB. 

I'll have to look at the draft class a little closer to give you some names, but I assure you everyone I draft would weigh over 320 pounds minimum and be mean as snakes?   I've been thinking about working on my draft guide for this year but I'll probably wait until the last minute.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

I'd trade all seven of our picks up into the draft, consolidate to four or five higher picks, I'd take two nose tackles and two center/guards... but then I'm not BB. 

I'll have to look at the draft class a little closer to give you some names, but I assure you everyone I draft would weigh over 320 pounds minimum and be mean as snakes?   I've been thinking about working on my draft guide for this year but I'll probably wait until the last minute.

Maybe a little tongue in cheek? We are almost on the same page. I would not put weight on such a pedastal. Seymour was not 320 and he played DE and DT and anchored the front seven.

I also would not necessarily go blind except for the C, RG, DT though that is what I want to focus on. I also wanntt a 2nd TE who is a solid all around TE. Maybe a FA or better yet a mid round pick. ANd I would not rule out DE/DT hybrid or any SPECIAL player at any position. But I agree about where the strong focus should be.

Oh, also, not necessarily NTs, could be DT, depends on talent on the board. You want talent and if that results in more 4 down linemen sets so be it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

I think Sherman and Maxwell will be the more dominant pair because of the front 7 that Seattle has as well as the physical presence they get from Kam Chancellor in the middle of the field.

If we're talking just pure coverage ability, I'd say it's a draw but might give the edge to Revis and Browner. But let's not get ahead of ourselves, we haven't signed Browner yet.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

the pair that stay the healthiest...

Sections
Shortcuts