Who's on your ignore list?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Re: Who's on your ignore list?

In Response to Re: Who's on your ignore list?:
    In Response to Re: Who's on your ignore list? : Ooh, a bring your  own  body bag  kind of guy. Another Colin Powell you are.  Job  handed to after  the military. You were lucky.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966

Wrong again Einstein, you're batting a perfect 1.000.  Never claimed to be another Colin Powell nor a "body bag" kind of guy.  Just claiming to have worked my way up within an organization, now a second one.  Job wasn't "handed" to me, I was selected for it over quite a few other folks - but I don't expect you to understand that kind of thing.  You and your ilk only understand hand-outs and guaranteed "outcomes" vice guaranteed "opportunity."  There's a difference, but even with you PhD you've not figured that out yet.  And I don't suspect you ever will. 

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

n Response to Re: Who's on your ignore list? : I actually feel the same way about ignoring others, and this thread was actually meant to be tongue in cheek.  That being said, some of you do get me angry with your attitude and how you act like you're more than just a fan of the Patriots. I've been following football since 1966-the Pats were my favorite team (and Bill Johnson was my favorite player) until the summer of 1967 (we all KNOW what happened then), and I have kept a Patriots notebook off and on since 1972.  I had several Patriots homepages in the 1990's (my pages were actually listed in a magazine Called the Best of Internet Sports)-one had rosters, one had stats and another had results-I have since been keeping this in an Excel spreadsheet.  I haven't updated it since about 2007 or 2008, though. My point is that I also know a lot about football, but I try NOT to act like I know everything.  Many of you do act that way and it BUGS the heck out of me.  I especially don't like the ones of you that INSIST on playing GM.  That's because I used to be on the Pats email list and that is all they did was play gm.  I remember 1995, when everyone either wanted the Pats to get Jack Del Rio or Ernest Givens (as they also needed a WR in 1995 (sound familiar?))-SOOOOOO that is why it gets annoying if you play gm.  The stress of not having a career that is stable adds to this. Seriously, I would not trade what I have gone through these past twelve years with ANYONE, even those of you on my "ignore list" )which may or may not be real, btw).   Posted by Patsfansince1966 I'm sure you do know a lot about football, but all you ever do is tear people down and call people's posts stupid.  That's not helpful, constructive, nor does it show people that you know ANYTHING about football.  You come across as rude, arrogant, and unlikeable.   We're on here to enjoy ourselves and maybe talk a little smack now and then.  The persistent ridicule bit you have going gets old REAL fast. 
    Posted by jeffab

Nice response, really well said!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Well, business doesn't create jobs unless they really have to or someone makes them do it.

Ha Ha, thats just plain dumb. Do you think Roche or Obama should give you a job? Quick pick one!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

Are you for real 66?  Reading a few of your posts I gather that anyone that has anything, has had it handed to them or have been lucky?  Is that your gimmick here?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: Who's on your ignore list? : No, the ones that get handed stuff are the ones that don't understand that they have been handed stuff, which is why they don't think others should get the same opportunities they had. You have worked for as much in your life as my dead grandmother has since she died in 1989, which is diddly squat.

Now you're starting to sound hysterical.  Opining about who much others have worked since their grandmothers died in 1989 - LOL :).  But you're the one on here whining up a storm about not being "given" a job - LOL :).  Appreciate the holiday hypocrisity, er, I mean laughter you pitiful small child - LOL :).  Cheers nimrod!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

PCM:
    Are promotions always based on merit?  It is on you individually to make the most of your opportunities, but to pretend that those opportunities aren't partly luck of the draw is a little much.

I do not know where you have worked or work currently, I am sure there are crapy companies out there but I can tell you in the one I have worked at; larger fortune 500 size, it is all about merit. Rules are so tight and no one wants a discrimination charge they measure it all. This is why most companies will not accept resumes unless they are hiring, to avoid legal issues.

I started out washing trucks at a small delivery company that is now a giant. I had a high school diploma. Had it not been on merit, I would still be washing trucks. I have found at every level that talent wins out. If some one does hire on anything else, sex/relationship etc, they get caught they get canned.

No I am sure there are the isolated examples of some one getting some help but my experience over 23 years and thousands of campaniles (I worked for and with)
    It is Merit first.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Are you for real 66?  Reading a few of your posts I gather that anyone that has anything, has had it handed to them or have been lucky?  Is that your gimmick here?
    Posted by WeDerrWEDAT

Let me summarize. He has been a Pats fan since 1966 (I estimated him to be about 10 years in 1966 old based on that). After high school (approximate graudation date of 1974) he 'worked in a craft shop' for 4 years. I believe this is where the bitterness all started. He apprenticed for one of 'Santas Elves' positions and did not make the cut. His hatred of business and evil corporations is directly related to that experience (although he did get some quality dental work from Hermie while at the North Pole). After that, the direct quote was  'I spent my 20's and 30's in college', finally earning his Ph.D in 2000, at the approximate age of 44 (again based on my assumption that he was 10 when he became a Pats fan). Attempting to re-enter the work force at that age, with no real world experience and only educational references, he finds himself asking 'why cant I get hired? I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh-darn-it, people like me!!' 11 years later, he is still asking the same question, and still blaming it on the evil corporations and the government...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Who's on your ignore list? : So YOU think if you had missed your  interview you'd still  have gotten the job. NOT. That's where luck  comes in-you were lucky enough to not miss the interview.

WTH are you talking about? Lucky to not miss my interview? I made sure I was prepared for my interview and left myself plenty of time. Most interviews I plan to be there an hour before the interview incase I get stuck in traffic. It's called planning. And, before you ask if there is no traffic I sit in my car and practice my interview going over prep questions with the additional time. That's not luck it's called perpetration

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In Response to Re: Who's on your ignore list? : Agreed; as example; we need the highways, roads and bridges kept up, Govt (us) should invest in this by hiring private compabies to do the work, part of the program should be tied to hiring PHD's sitting around doing nothing :)
    Posted by gmbill

Hey G,

I s/w my 'cuz an hour ago.  When I told him about this discussion here and how there are folks saying that corporations will give grants in place of the gov't, that a good researcher should be able to get work from the private sector, that gov't funding isn't the lion's share of research funding, and generally paraphrasing your reply to me Tuesday, here is how he responded:

1) He laughed.  He has a great sense of humor.

2) He said that 95% of the funding for research comes from government funding (which, as I wrote Tuesday, is being gutted by the GOP in the House, thus effectively halting the vast majority of scientific research on campuses and in government labs, creating a massive brain drain headed toward emerging countries). Only 5% comes from private sector grants.  And as anybody who has ever dealt in venture capital knows, getting only 5% of what you need might as well be 0%.

3) He said, while chuckling - and I quote - "Those people don't know what they are talking about."  He meant you.

Keep in mind, he has done research at URI, Harvard and Brown, for roughly two decades, from student lab grunt to project leader Phd.  I'm pretty sure he knows quite a bit more about it than you do, or than all the other people posting here - self included - save for PatsFan1966.

The cuts were made to sustain current tax breaks for the upper 2% and maintain corporate tax shelters. 

I know a little - not a lot - about tax shelters, having reviewed hundreds of corporate and 1099 tax returns and noticed how comparatively little taxes are paid because of write-offs and shelters, compared to working and middle class W-2 income earners.  Last year, my millionaire boss bragged of only paying $600 in federal income tax, as a recent example. I am sure you know people like that.  They love their bragging rights for paying virtually no taxes on massive gross incomes, without realizing how grotesque it sounds to most of us.  We all know those people. 

The private sector and it's leaders want more and more and more, and they are giving less and less and less back than ever before.  Even robber-baron Andrew Carnegie knew you have to give it back to sustain a healthy economy.  That's not happening and that's why we have an ailing economy.  Corporate charity is at a record low. Real wages are the lowest in decades. There is no disposable income to drive consumer demand.  My cousin won't be buying any new durable goods until he can get a decent income - not exactly easy these days - that offers disposable income.

Maybe we just should reform the corporate system.  It was not originally intended that American corporations be for a) for profit, or b) perpetual, as it was suspected corporations would grow too powerful and denominate most aspects of American life. Little know historical fact.

You are fortunate to be living a sheltered life.  We envy you.  But you are only running a little ahead of a snowball rolling down hill.  You won't like it when it catches you.  PatsFan didn't.  My cousin didn't.  I didn't.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Who's on your ignore list? : There are millions of people who lost their jobs in 2008-2009 and are still struggling to find employment because the ratio of unemployed workers to job openings has been fluctuating between 4 and 5 to 1 for the past few years.  Are they in the situation they're in because they all sucked at their jobs and are lazy?  Is the CEO of every company always the smartest person or the hardest worker?  Are promotions always based on merit?  It is on you individually to make the most of your opportunities, but to pretend that those opportunities aren't partly luck of the draw is a little much.
    Posted by pcmIV

I never once said they were lazy or they stunk at their job. That's putting words in my mouth. What I said was you need to make yourself stick out on your merit. I have companies calling me asking if I wanted to switch jobs. Why? Because I stand out and my merit of work speaks for itself.

There are millions of people who just go to work do an acceptable job and never try to do anything to stand out. My girlfriend is one actually. All I know is my promotions were based on my merit. She's been passed over because she doesn't speak up or make herself stand out. She's not bad at her job but when you are in a small pond everyone wants to catch the 15lb bass no one wants another sunfish in a school of sunfish.

It's all about merit and making yourself stick out. Of course there is a bit of luck in the timing but if you set yourself up then the opportunities come to you instead of you waiting for them to happen. If you just sit around waiting for things to happen they never will, so some initiative and an opportunity that presents itself, whether luck or merit, take it because you never know if it will come again.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Who's on your ignore list? : Hey G, I s/w my 'cuz an hour ago.  When I told him about this discussion here and how there are folks saying that corporations will give grants in place of the gov't, that a good researcher should be able to get work from the private sector, that gov't funding isn't the lion's share of research funding, and generally paraphrasing your reply to me Tuesday, here is how he responded: 1) He laughed.  He has a great sense of humor. 2) He said that 95% of the funding for research comes from government funding (which, as I wrote Tuesday, is being gutted by the GOP in the House, thus effectively halting the vast majority of scientific research on campuses and in government labs, creating a massive brain drain headed toward emerging countries). Only 5% comes from private sector grants.  And as anybody who has ever dealt in venture capital knows, getting only 5% of what you need might as well be 0%. 3) He said, while chuckling - and I quote - "Those people don't know what they are talking about."  He meant you. Keep in mind, he has done research at URI, Harvard and Brown, for roughly two decades, from student lab grunt to project leader Phd.  I'm pretty sure he knows quite a bit more about it than you do, or than all the other people posting here - self included - save for PatsFan1966. The cuts were made to sustain current tax breaks for the upper 2% and maintain corporate tax shelters.  I know a little - not a lot - about tax shelters, having reviewed hundreds of corporate and 1099 tax returns and noticed how comparatively little taxes are paid because of write-offs and shelters, compared to working and middle class W-2 income earners.  Last year, my millionaire boss bragged of only paying $600 in federal income tax, as a recent example. I am sure you know people like that.  They love their bragging rights for paying virtually no taxes on massive gross incomes, without realizing how grotesque it sounds to most of us.  We all know those people.  The private sector and it's leaders want more and more and more, and they are giving less and less and less back than ever before.  Even robber-baron Andrew Carnegie knew you have to give it back to sustain a healthy economy.  That's not happening and that's why we have an ailing economy.  Corporate charity is at a record low. Real wages are the lowest in decades. There is no disposable income to drive consumer demand.  My cousin won't be buying any new durable goods until he can get a decent income - not exactly easy these days - that offers disposable income. Maybe we just should reform the corporate system.  It was not originally intended that American corporations be for a) for profit, or b) perpetual, as it was suspected corporations would grow too powerful and denominate most aspects of American life. Little know historical fact. You are fortunate to be living a sheltered life.  We envy you.  But you are only running a little ahead of a snowball rolling down hill.  You won't like it when it catches you.  PatsFan didn't.  My cousin didn't.  I didn't.
    Posted by chrisakawoody

Grants yes funding no. I worked for 2 start ups in my life who's main purpose was sub-contracted R&D. In the university world a majority come from the government in the privet sector 80% of our funding came from public corporations not government grants.

Why? because most university research can't go into market for a significant amount of time. Why would companies invest lots of money for IP's when they can just buy them after the research has already been done? Not only that but small startups tend to take university research and create products from it. What's smarter for a company to invest in something that's close to a product or invest in an idea. BTW a common phrase in labs is 99% of everything in a lab will fail if you can reduce that to 95% you deserve a noble. No company making a profit can invest a lot of money into a project on the academic level in which a vast majority fail.

You have to separate privet research and academic research. Academic funded by government, privet funded by corporations

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

In Response to Re: Who's on your ignore list? : WTH are you talking about? Lucky to not miss my interview? I made sure I was prepared for my interview and left myself plenty of time. Most interviews I plan to be there an hour before the interview incase I get stuck in traffic. It's called planning. And, before you ask if there is no traffic I sit in my car and practice my interview going over prep questions with the additional time. That's not luck it's called perpetration
    Posted by PatsEng

PatsEng:  given the totality of his posts, I don't think the good doctor understands the nuances of preparation.  If he did, he still wouldn't be a sniveling loser - or on this site bemoaning his pitiful lot in life.  His Mommy obviously didn't bake him enough brownies and he's been drudging through life with a stick up his backside.  Unfortunately, he isn't considerate enough suffer his fate in silence, he's got to come on here during the holidays drumming up pity.  He failed in that area.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In Response to Re: Who's on your ignore list? : I never once said they were lazy or they stunk at their job. That's putting words in my mouth. What I said was you need to make yourself stick out on your merit. I have companies calling me asking if I wanted to switch jobs. Why? Because I stand out and my merit of work speaks for itself. There are millions of people who just go to work do an acceptable job and never try to do anything to stand out. My girlfriend is one actually. All I know is my promotions were based on my merit. She's been passed over because she doesn't speak up or make herself stand out. She's not bad at her job but when you are in a small pond everyone wants to catch the 15lb bass no one wants another sunfish in a school of sunfish. It's all about merit and making yourself stick out. Of course there is a bit of luck in the timing but if you set yourself up then the opportunities come to you instead of you waiting for them to happen. If you just sit around waiting for things to happen they never will, so some initiative and an opportunity that presents itself, whether luck or merit, take it because you never know if it will come again.
    Posted by PatsEng

I would like to think you are 100% right.  But I was a star salesman at a number of places.  Top 3% overall out of 137 at one place, including #1 in one prestigious category and #2 in other.  Also dominated in smaller companies, repeatedly the top guy. I won a lot of contests, honesty, and made people a lot of money.  

Always - I mean ALWAYS - I got shafted, especially by bigger operations.  Lied, cheated, reneged...anything they think they could get away with.  So I would try another place and it would happen all over again.  And not just to me. My brother was a national top-3 Phizer rep.  They repeatedly took away the territories he developed, destroying his hard work and residual income streams, putting him back at square one, while they passed his accounts to other reps.  He finally had no choice but to quit.  Lather - rinse - repeat.  

To make it worse, in sales it can take months before you start making money after a move - you invest by learning the product and a new sales approach, going through tech training, building a pipeline - and companies know this.  So they gamble on how long you will tolerate being shafted before you give up three months pay in a move. Believe me, loyalty by sales employers is gone, even toward their best money makers.  It goes back to the pervasive corporate shortsightedness I discuss in my previous post.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsareNumberone. Show PatsareNumberone's posts

Nothing like a good ignore list thread to bring out the Commies.
    More government and higher taxes is the answer to everything. It's worked great for Greece and it can work here too.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In Response to Re: Who's on your ignore list? : I never once said they were lazy or they stunk at their job. That's putting words in my mouth. What I said was you need to make yourself stick out on your merit. I have companies calling me asking if I wanted to switch jobs. Why? Because I stand out and my merit of work speaks for itself. There are millions of people who just go to work do an acceptable job and never try to do anything to stand out. My girlfriend is one actually. All I know is my promotions were based on my merit. She's been passed over because she doesn't speak up or make herself stand out. She's not bad at her job but when you are in a small pond everyone wants to catch the 15lb bass no one wants another sunfish in a school of sunfish. It's all about merit and making yourself stick out. Of course there is a bit of luck in the timing but if you set yourself up then the opportunities come to you instead of you waiting for them to happen. If you just sit around waiting for things to happen they never will, so some initiative and an opportunity that presents itself, whether luck or merit, take it because you never know if it will come again.
    Posted by PatsEng

I was just pointing out the absurdity of the position that luck is not an important factor in success to go along with hard work and intelligence.  There are 5 unemployed people for every job opening and many of these unemployed were perfectly productive workers at their previous jobs.  No matter how much they try and stand out most of them will not get jobs in the current environment.  Your post assumes all of these people are sitting on their @ss waiting for something to come their way.  If that is your view of the unemployed it would explain a lot, but I don't think it is accurate.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Nothing like a good ignore list thread to bring out the Commies. More government and higher taxes is the answer to everything. It's worked great for Greece and it can work here too.
    Posted by PatsareNumberone

You realize that Greece's tax collection is pathetic right?  Then again you have no idea what a communist is.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to Re: Who's on your ignore list? : Hey G, I s/w my 'cuz an hour ago.  When I told him about this discussion here and how there are folks saying that corporations will give grants in place of the gov't, that a good researcher should be able to get work from the private sector, that gov't funding isn't the lion's share of research funding, and generally paraphrasing your reply to me Tuesday, here is how he responded: 1) He laughed.  He has a great sense of humor. 2) He said that 95% of the funding for research comes from government funding (which, as I wrote Tuesday, is being gutted by the GOP in the House, thus effectively halting the vast majority of scientific research on campuses and in government labs, creating a massive brain drain headed toward emerging countries). Only 5% comes from private sector grants.  And as anybody who has ever dealt in venture capital knows, getting only 5% of what you need might as well be 0%. 3) He said, while chuckling - and I quote - "Those people don't know what they are talking about."  He meant you. Keep in mind, he has done research at URI, Harvard and Brown, for roughly two decades, from student lab grunt to project leader Phd.  I'm pretty sure he knows quite a bit more about it than you do, or than all the other people posting here - self included - save for PatsFan1966. The cuts were made to sustain current tax breaks for the upper 2% and maintain corporate tax shelters.  I know a little - not a lot - about tax shelters, having reviewed hundreds of corporate and 1099 tax returns and noticed how comparatively little taxes are paid because of write-offs and shelters, compared to working and middle class W-2 income earners.  Last year, my millionaire boss bragged of only paying $600 in federal income tax, as a recent example. I am sure you know people like that.  They love their bragging rights for paying virtually no taxes on massive gross incomes, without realizing how grotesque it sounds to most of us.  We all know those people.  The private sector and it's leaders want more and more and more, and they are giving less and less and less back than ever before.  Even robber-baron Andrew Carnegie knew you have to give it back to sustain a healthy economy.  That's not happening and that's why we have an ailing economy.  Corporate charity is at a record low. Real wages are the lowest in decades. There is no disposable income to drive consumer demand.  My cousin won't be buying any new durable goods until he can get a decent income - not exactly easy these days - that offers disposable income. Maybe we just should reform the corporate system.  It was not originally intended that American corporations be for a) for profit, or b) perpetual, as it was suspected corporations would grow too powerful and denominate most aspects of American life. Little know historical fact. You are fortunate to be living a sheltered life.  We envy you.  But you are only running a little ahead of a snowball rolling down hill.  You won't like it when it catches you.  PatsFan didn't.  My cousin didn't.  I didn't.
    Posted by chrisakawoody

Chris

Fun part of posting here is we are speaking to people we do not know and who do not know us. Don't know your cousin, sure he is a good guy, I might think an academic who hid out doing research on grant money provided by my taxes vs getting a real job and competing for a living is going to find that when the tables turn bad he is screwed. But as I said I do not know your cousin.

I have made and lost my career on three occasions, had it all and lost it all twice. Once in Dot.com world and recently in property on the gulf coast.

Sold every thing and what I did not sell was taken away, moved in with friends till I got back on track. So I understand life, I have done poor three times in my life and each time fought back.

I know what works, I have done it over and over and succeeded, I also know I am bless and the Lord is where my life begins and ends.

I wish your cousin well. The cycles of business and life have been going on for a lot longer that you and me and will continue. Not worrying about getting caught by the snowball, been there, melted the snow, sold the water and created income.

I enjoy your posts on here been reading for a long time, post occasionally, listening to 66 got to me so I commented.

All the best

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Nothing like a good ignore list thread to bring out the Commies. More government and higher taxes is the answer to everything. It's worked great for Greece and it can work here too.
    Posted by PatsareNumberone

We have the lowest taxes in 100 years.  How are the taxes high?  How would raising the taxes even 10%, which is still historically very low - high taxation?  The U.S. has by far the lowest tax rate of any developed nation.  And our infrastructure is barely third world, as a result.  My wife is from Thailand and they have much better transportation and communication (and much more affordable health care). Freakin' THAILAND!

Aren't we supposed to be better than Thailand when it comes to infrastructure?

As for Greece, learn something: Goldman Sachs went in there and started lending to anybody and anything, including the unqualified.  They got everybody leveraged beyond any hope of repaying the debt and then the dominos started to fall.  It wasn't there big government, nor their taxation that felled them.  They had that stuff for decades. It was the lending craze...just like happened here.  And to economists in the know, it looked an awful lot like planned economic sabotage, so as to create the situation where certain powerful investors could buy assets for pennies on the dollar, just like what U.S. agriculture corps did to Australian farming in the '80s, and Latin America farming in the '60s and '70s. (I am guessing you never learned about that stuff.)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In Response to Re: Who's on your ignore list? : You realize that Greece's tax collection is pathetic right?  Then again you have no idea what a communist is.
    Posted by pcmIV

I didn't even bother to mention that to him, but you are right.  Tax collectors who try to tax the rich get fired.  An infamous reality of Greece.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts