Who's your favorite all-time Patriot?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimNotJimmy. Show JimNotJimmy's posts

Re: Who's your favorite all-time Patriot?

I can't choose between two, I like Troy Brown for everything he did as a player and a person. A 3 way player, offense, defense, special teams, great leader, came up big when we neede it. If only Canton wasn't all about stats, he'd be a first ballot hall of famer. A true football player.

Adam Vinatieri who I feel we wouldn't have won those super bowls without him. Greatest clutch kicker of all time. Not many kickers could handle pressure moments like him. Plus the guy played kickoff coverage like a linebacker, sometimes chasing down the returner saving us 7 points against.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

I named my dog Tedy, after Tedy bruschi of coarse.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

In Response to Re: Who's your favorite all-time Patriot?:
    Drew Bledsoe.  Turned the franchise around.  The first legit qb they ever had.
    Posted by ChrisBarb

I hear you ChrisBarb, but Steve Grogan kept the Pats in contention for several years in the late 70's and early 80's. Drew did a great job for us too, but I think Grogan was tougher.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

Posted by Hog73

Hey Hoggie73!   THANKS for the photo! Grogan was a mensh on the football field. How do I get you listed as a "friend" on the board so I can exchange emails with you? I tried several weeks (months?) ago when you suggested it, but I couldn't figure it out. Not very good with technology. What did you think of the GAMER thread?????? Amazing what that girl can get when it comes to attention!!! I HATE the off season with all of the nonsense that is posted on the board, but at least Underdoo isn't here 24/7. DAMN!!!! I LOVE those SAINTS!!!!!!! At least until next year!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BRD69. Show BRD69's posts

You had the guts to go for it because your coach was a CHEATER

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom. Show proftom's posts

Tom Brady. He restored my faith in the NFL and college football. That a guy can work hard, not be a social misfit, play smart, and be a good sport is totally amazing in today's professional sports world.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

...Mike Haynes is in the Hall as well and I thought he went in as a Patriot even though he played in Oakland........I will look that up....
    Posted by EASON11[/QUOTE]

Don't bother, players don't go in the Hall associated with any team.  It's not like baseball, they go in as individuals with a bust and a plaque describing their accomplishments and who they played for, etc. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

John Hannah.  When he was playing, I can't remember who did the survey but NFL players were asked who were the toughest, most fearsome players that they played against.   Naturally, all named were defensive players except for one offensive player, John Hannah.  One defensive player said he was like two grown men wrestling in a burlap sack coming at you. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who's your favorite all-time Patriot? : Hey Hoggie....

Blissman, Grogan was the Man when I was a kid. He was the one guy that gave me hope for the Patriots, back in the day.
    Dudeski, you've got to look into your own profile info to find the "friend" request. Gamer and I somehow pulled it off. We do need to stay in touch, btw. Facebook, maybe ?
    Hey, the wheels came off of this site a couple of years ago, but I thought I was seeing the signs of the next apocalypse when I came across the "is Gamer a guy?" thread. Holy smokes.......
    Work it, Brother !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I forgot that Tippett made it in (although I'm happy he did because he was penultimate only to Lawrence Taylor as an OLB).

Buoncotti did make it into the Hall of Fame in a Dolphins jersey for his role on those Super Bowl teams.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In ...Buoncotti did make it into the Hall of Fame in a Dolphins jersey for his role on those Super Bowl teams.
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Not to belabor the point, but there are no team associations, jerseys, helmets or otherwise, when a player enters the HOF.  Just a bust.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

In Response to Re: Who's your favorite all-time Patriot? : [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who's your favorite all-time Patriot? : Hey Hoggie.... Blissman, Grogan was the Man when I was a kid. He was the one guy that gave me hope for the Patriots, back in the day. Dudeski, you've got to look into your own profile info to find the "friend" request. Gamer and I somehow pulled it off. We do need to stay in touch, btw. Facebook, maybe ? Hey, the wheels came off of this site a couple of years ago, but I thought I was seeing the signs of the next apocalypse when I came acroos the "is Gamer a guy?" thread. Holy smokes....... Work it, Brother !
    Posted by Hog73

Hey Hoggie73!  That is what I tried before "friend" and couldn't get it going. I even emailed for help from the board support people, but I couldn't access them either. I have a good friend who is a techie. I will see what I can do. The original board was the best, too bad Harley and some of these guys never experienced it. GAMER a guy....some of these people must be nuts! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

John Hannah without a doubt.  Until Brady is inducted, Hannah will be the only Patriots in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He was the key to a 1976 Patriots team that set the record for rushing yards in a season with well over 3,000 (in FOURTEEN games), a record that still stands today.  That team lost to the Raiders in large part to a dubious roughing the passer penalty that (a) Raiders fans all conveniently forget when b*tching about the Tuck Rule and (b) was NEVER called back then. Oh, and he's also the greatest guard in the history of football.
    Posted by NickC1188

He was a POS. That he was the only career Patriot in the HoF speaks volumes of the sad state of this franchise prior to Brady.

He and Leon Gray colluded with their shared scuumbag agent Slusher to sit out the first 4 weeks of the 1977 season, which cost the team a playoff berth. They lost to the 3-11 Jets and to the 6-8 Browns to start the season at 2-2. They finished 9-5.

The Pats would later be forced to trade Gray to the Oilers for nada. It would be one of the worst trades in team history. The Pats in the late 70s would have fared better keeping Gray and trading "Hog" instead. Only an idiot would keep a guard over a pro-bowl LT like Gray. Thus, the Sullivans were stupid to go along with being cash-strapped.

After SB 20 when Hannah and Co. got toally dominated by the Bears 46 D, Hannah, who had played his last game, decides to take a vicious cheap shot at Tony Eason, who was getting killed due to the complete lack of protection.

Greatest guard of all time? Based on what? That silly SI cover? Guards are OL who aren't good enough to play tackle in college. They can be had in any round including rookie FA. Mankins played LT at Fresno St. Neal never played college ball. Andruzzi was a never-drafted castoff from the Packers. Hochstein was a former 5th rounder from the Bucs. Etc.

Greatest guard. Please, I remember going all ga-ga when I saw that SI cover in '78. This team was starving for stardom and recognition. I was one of the masses dumping on Eason as a scapegoat. Looking back with wiser eyes, I see Eason as a Brady type QB: efficent while making few mistakes. Funny what an adult perspective can do for you.

To answer the OP (outside of Tom Brady): Eason. He was efficient and was unfairly scapegoated after SB 20, yet he managed to bounce back, leading his team to it's second AFC East title. The '86 Pats has a non-existent running game that season. Eason posted an impressive 108.7 rating against the Broncos in the '86 playoffs, a game they might have won, if Mosi Tatupu (another loveable) didn't cough up the ball to squelch any chance of winning. Eason would post an 89.2 rating with only 10 INTs that season.

Look at Eason's playoff stats and I dare anyone to tell me he "wears a skirt".

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EasoTo00/gamelog/#stats_playoffs

Grogan, in comparison was a joke.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrogSt00/gamelog/#stats_playoffs

I don't blame Eason for never returning to any team oldtimer functions. He was the best pre-Brady QB in Pats history. Better than Grogan and Bledsoe. His career was cut short due to injuries. What a shame. He deserved better.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyberknot. Show Cyberknot's posts

1) Robert Kraft. - Hands down. Not a player but a Patriot through and through. No one has done more for this franchise.
     2) Tom Brady - obvious
     3) Tedy Bruschi - like Harley, my dog is named Tedy
      4) John Hannah - named my daughter Hannah
     5) Ben Coates - The best TE the Pats ever had.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Besides the handle. Ben Coates: if Brady had Coates right now (in his prime) no one would openly discuss the need for a 3rd receiver. And Brady & Co. would ruin the whole league.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Favorite Patriot is Billy Sullivan despite some of the dumb stuff he did there would be no Patriots with out him and no players to argue over.

Favorite player is Steve Grogan and Troy Brown both got more out of their abilities than any other players in Pats history.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Marion Butts.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hog73. Show Hog73's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Who's your favorite all-time Patriot? : Hey Hoggie73! 
    Blissman, tell me again, what course are you teaching @ St Joe's ?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eddymon. Show Eddymon's posts

Offensive guys
    QB's
    Grogan (guts, guts and guts, too bad he never had a great team around him)
    Brady  (guts, guts, a winner who had a great team around him)
    RB
    Sam Bam Cunningham
    Kevin Faulk (the guy gets alot out of not having much)
    WR
    Stanley Morgan
    Troy Brown
    OL
    John Hannah

Defensive guys
    LB
    Tippett
    Bruschi
    CB
    Law
    Mike Haynes
    DB
    Milloy
    Harrison

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Re: Who's your favorite all-time Patriot? : He was a POS. That he was the only career Patriot in the HoF speaks volumes of the sad state of this franchise prior to Brady. He and Leon Gray colluded with their shared scuumbag agent Slusher to sit out the first 4 weeks of the 1977 season, which cost the team a playoff berth. They lost to the 3-11 Jets and to the 6-8 Browns to start the season at 2-2. They finished 9-5. The Pats would later be forced to trade Gray to the Oilers for nada. It would be one of the worst trades in team history. The Pats in the late 70s would have fared better keeping Gray and trading "Hog" instead. Only an idiot would keep a guard over a pro-bowl LT like Gray. Thus, the Sullivans were stupid to go along with being cash-strapped. After SB 20 when Hannah and Co. got toally dominated by the Bears 46 D, Hannah, who had played his last game, decides to take a vicious cheap shot at Tony Eason, who was getting killed due to the complete lack of protection. Greatest guard of all time? Based on what? That silly SI cover? Guards are OL who aren't good enough to play tackle in college. They can be had in any round including rookie FA. Mankins played LT at Fresno St. Neal never played college ball. Andruzzi was a never-drafted castoff from the Packers. Hochstein was a former 5th rounder from the Bucs. Etc. Greatest guard. Please, I remember going all ga-ga when I saw that SI cover in '78. This team was starving for stardom and recognition. I was one of the masses dumping on Eason as a scapegoat. Looking back with wiser eyes, I see Eason as a Brady type QB: efficent while making few mistakes. Funny what an adult perspective can do for you. To answer the OP (outside of Tom Brady): Eason. He was efficient and was unfairly scapegoated after SB 20, yet he managed to bounce back, leading his team to it's second AFC East title. The '86 Pats has a non-existent running game that season. Eason posted an impressive 108.7 rating against the Broncos in the '86 playoffs, a game they might have won, if Mosi Tatupu (another loveable) didn't cough up the ball to squelch any chance of winning. Eason would post an 89.2 rating with only 10 INTs that season. Look at Eason's playoff stats and I dare anyone to tell me he "wears a skirt". http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EasoTo00/gamelog/#stats_playoffs Grogan, in comparison was a joke. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GrogSt00/gamelog/#stats_playoffs I don't blame Eason for never returning to any team oldtimer functions. He was the best pre-Brady QB in Pats history. Better than Grogan and Bledsoe. His career was cut short due to injuries. What a shame. He deserved better.
    Posted by CubanPete

I'm not talking about Sports Illustrated covers - I'm talking about the ESPN Classic footage where Hannah pulls and knocks someone's head off.  He was a wrecking ball at the position.

That you would imply that Eason was greater than Hannah is completely and utterly absurd.  Eason isn't even the best QB (or the second best) in his franchise's history.

Praise for Hannah is justified, if not by his film then by his peers who lined up across from him.

I doubt you'd hear anything remotely comparable about a mediocre QB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

TROY BROWN = TRUE BLUE PATRIOT!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatssoxVA. Show PatssoxVA's posts

In Response to Who's your favorite all-time Patriot?:
    I have many, but if I had to pick one it would be Mosiula (Mosi) Faasuka Tatupu. He was drafted 216th in the 8th round of 1978 out of USC. He played for the Patriots from 1978-1990. He made the Pro Bowl in 1986 as a special teamer. John McKay called Mosi the “best blocking back in USC history” and compared tackling Mosi to “tackling a Coke machine.” He was never the featured back for NE but he was a crushing blocker and captain of the special teams for many years. He was active in the community and a huge fan favorite. He is currently the running-backs coach at NCAA Division III school Curry College in Milton, Massachusetts.
    Posted by digger0862

Digger,
    Did you have a premonition?
    I still have my Mosi's Mooses tshirt in a closet. It's worn paper thin, but couldn't part with it.
    RIP Mosi.
    Also faves are Steve Grogan, Hog Hannah, Ben Coates, Russ Francis, Troy Brown, Steve Nelson.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

PatssoxVA,
    I was both shocked and saddened by the news this morning of Mosi's passing. He was just 54 years old.
    RIP Mosi.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Andre Tippet was simply ferocious  at LB and is a very decent human being to boot....

Nice combination!  Almost conspicuous I think....

Sections
Shortcuts