whose comeback is more important to there team?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

whose comeback is more important to there team?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-8-173/Video--Brady-or-Merriman-.html

on espn they had this topic,and i would have to think brady,s would be.yes merriman is there defensive leader,but in his case you can have a player fill in,and do a good job,but when your star QB is out.its almost impossible to replace him.sure cassel did well,but at 11-5,and not makeing the playoffs.i guess it wasnt good enough.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: whose comeback is more important to there team?

It's an intersting debate, actually. Cassel eventually came around and, in most years, 11-5 gets you in. The Bolts, conversely, stumbled badly without Merriman, but .500 was enough to win in the Clown College Division. The thing is, even with Brady back, a much tougher schedule this year makes improving on 11-5 a more difficult task than the Bolts will have bouncing  back from 8-8. So, logically, you could make the case that Merriman's return is more important. But as the guy who replaced Brady is gone, and if you factor in that he was the best player in the league at the most important position on the field, this is a no-brainer.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I almost want to say it's a wash. NE proved it was a deeper team, and the loss of one player, however great, didn't cripple the team. Only three of their losses last season were truly devastating. Take away the stupid penalty on Thomas and the blown third down in OT (in the Colts and second Jests games), and they are 13-3, with the #2 seed in the playoffs. On the surface, it looks like losing Merriman hit SD harder than the Brady injury (and, of course, you have to factor in all the defensive guys who wound up on IR), as SD went from one of the best to one of the worst defenses in the league. But with Cassel gone, the debate seems to lean towards Brady, as we don't know how good O'Connell would do (and I hope to God we don't have to find out). It is indeed a good question. I suppose we'll have to wait until after the season is played to know the true answer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

I suppose you can make the argument that the Chargers would be better with Merriman because last year they seemed to be hurt most by his loss, but I don't think the Chargers downfall last season can be solely blamed on Merriman. There were more than a few players last year in San Diego that had down years and they had a lot of bad breaks late in games that cost them. The Patriots took a substantial step back last year as well. Granted, 11-5 is a great record, but when it's not good enough to make the playoffs it wasn't good enough. Plus, it's a 5-game swing... no one notices as much when it's 16-0 to 11-5, but what if the Patriots went 12-4 to 7-9. That's the same drop. I'm not saying that with Brady back they're poised for another undefeated season, I'm just saying that they took a substantial step back without him.

It's closer then you think up front, but when it comes down to it I believe that it's much easier to replace a linebacker than it is to replace a quarterback. No, you can't replace a stud with a stud, but you can cover it up with different looks. It's tough to cover up at QB.

Sections
Shortcuts