Why am I so nervous about this game?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolltide1963. Show rolltide1963's posts

Re: Why am I so nervous about this game?

This year, we go into New York with Gronk & Hernandez plus Tate.  Oh yeah, and Brady is not just his 2nd game into recovery from reconstructed knee.

Did you see  Todd Heap last week ?  Todd, I just had my career day, Heap. 

Patriots 24 - Jets 10

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Awfully close to call but it's an absolute "MUST" win for the Jets....
    As such,  I'm guessing they overplay, get stupid penalties in their effort
    to intimidate early with their D......

If they fall behind by a couple of scores they could be toast.

One thing for sure and that is..... this contest is going to be nasty....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

Brady plays well when he has his saftey valve ready, and this season he has more than just Welker.

The Jets have some very good personnel on the defensive side with some holes that the Pats O can exploit.  Anyone recall the Pats -Jx playoff game a few years ago?  Dink, dunk, dink, dunk... Brady had some phenomenal completion %, and they have better personnel for that now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Jets are not going to commit nearly as many penalties as they did against the Ravens.  Pats' D is young and decent, but it's a long, long way from what the Ravens have.  And if it hadn't been for Todd Heap making a couple sensational plays on third and long, that game might well have been a Jets' win.

The entire Revis/Moss thing is nothing but a red herring.  It's the story the media has been salivating over for nearly a year now, but it's hardly even a subplot of this game.  The real story is if the Jets can possibly stay with Wes and Gronk and Hernandez.  Honestly, I sincerely hope the Jets keep Revis on Randy in single coverage the whole game. Rex might just be this stupid.

The thing that is nerveracking about this game is the idea that the Jets' turnaround game could come against the Pats.  If this happens, expect the media to run with this for all it's worth.  If the Pats win, the story will be how the Pats were supposed to beat the Jets anyway.  Point is, media has a lot more to gain from a Jets' win than a Pats' win.

Whatever, though.  Pats are going to win this one 21-1o and the Revis/Moss thing is going to be a tremendous letdown for those who hoped it would match the media's hype.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Why am I so nervous about this game?:
    ...Jets playing at home ...Jets can't afford to drop first 2 games of the season  ...Shottenheimer with nothing to lose on offense, will throw the kitchen sink at young Pats' D, and may even go to the wildcat ...Pats' defense and special teams hard pressed to duplicate game 1 successes ...Pats no longer under the radar and even as high as #2 in some NFL power polls ...And now Tom Brady on the cover of Sports Illustrated! Can this be considered a trap game?  Somebody just ease my nerves... 
    Posted by wfdog

The unknown.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Re: Why am I so nervous about this game?:
    The Pats have had this game planned for a year. They thought they would be going against Jenkins and some kind of a Jets Offense. From what they saw last week the Jets D is open to the pass game and Revis can only cover one player. Wilson and Cromatie will have a busy day. No worries here...As much as the Jets can not afford to lose,,triple that for the Pats, this is a statement game to the Jets that the Pats have been planning on making all through the off season.. Get the Popcorn ready..
    Posted by gmbill

You can't plan a year in advance before the draft even. That's ludicrous.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Although I am a diehard Pats fan and believe the Pats will win this game, I do have some reservations as well.  The Jets have a truly excellent D and no matter how good the Pats O is (and it is just as excellent as the Jets D) anything can happen in a divisional game on the road. 

My prediction:  Pats 17, Jets 9

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 617AcrossDaBoard. Show 617AcrossDaBoard's posts

Gronk will have his coming out party against these overly aggressive Jets...

Pats 38-17.

In 07 we scored the same amount of points 3 games straight a couple times. Don't be surprise to see history repeat itself.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Why am I so nervous about this game?:
    ...Jets playing at home ...Jets can't afford to drop first 2 games of the season  ...Shottenheimer with nothing to lose on offense, will throw the kitchen sink at young Pats' D, and may even go to the wildcat ...Pats' defense and special teams hard pressed to duplicate game 1 successes ...Pats no longer under the radar and even as high as #2 in some NFL power polls ...And now Tom Brady on the cover of Sports Illustrated! Can this be considered a trap game?  Somebody just ease my nerves... 
    Posted by wfdog

This is definately not a trap game. I'm concerned about this game, too. Why? Because I remember last years' loss in NY, in which the Jets gave the Pats and Tom Brady a physical beating. Brady was hit 23 times in that loss. I also recall how the Pats' "D" wilted in the second half. Here's a recap of that ugly loss: http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=290920020, and  http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/09/putting_a_hurting_on_tom_brady.html 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

its a good early test and theres no doubt they will be ready

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Playing the Jet's will test our Offense and the Bengals tested our defense... these games will prep us for an overall battle with the Ravens...  If we can win this weeks game we are putting ourselves in great postion to start the year for sure. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spetznaz24. Show Spetznaz24's posts

We should be nervous.  I think the people have really blown this Jet loss out of proportions. They lost to probably the best team in the NFL by one single point. I am sure they will not committ 15 dumb penalties in this game and the offense cannot play worse than it did against the Ravens.   It is not like they were blown out and humiliated by the Ravens. The Jets' demise is greatly exaggerated by everyone here. 

Sanchez will play better against our defense and will likely take some shots down the field.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

you should always been nervous about division games on the road, thats why
    Posted by Jimmy42Jack0

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I'm nervous about every game. A little more so for this one. This could get really ugly. Let's hope it's an ugly win.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

26-16 Pats W

I wouldnt be shocked to see less points but the Jets are at home. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

because we really have not seen much from this team to be able to tell how good they really are. individuals within the team itself are probably feeling the same way. that's not bad though. i am hoping i made them more meticulous in their prep.

that said, we have things to feel good about.

1) the pats o is much superior to the ravens'. the pats therefore should put up more points than the ravens - at least 20 pts, i am thinking 24.

2) the cinci offense is better than the jets', and the pats d should get better than last week. the pats should hold the jets below 20 pts - i am thinking 17. in addition, the d will put up 7 pts.

3) i really think the pats kr and pr teams are dangerous. i say they get pts again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

The Jets defense will not be making the mental mistakes after playing Rex's old team. They will be fired up to play the Pats and make Brady hate them even more by pressuring him all day.

I see Faulk, Gronk and Crumpler sitting in and protecting Brady and maybe slipping off a few blocks for a couple of passes. Moss will go deep and leave the middle open for Welker, Edelman if healthy otherwise Tate on the outside and Hernandez underneath will be the options no one can cover!

Running game? Only in the beginning to test the water and get some rythym before eating up the clock in the second half.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

What I've learned over the years is that with division games you can probably throw out everything you know, forget that one team may have a ton more talent than the other, and ignore the prevailing wisdom on where the strengths and weakness in the matchup are because it will be a close game, a battle, and many times emotion plays a bigger part than talent.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plluto29. Show Plluto29's posts

You shoud be nervous if the Pats try to force the ball to Moss, espeicially in the first half, so they can massage Randy's ego with some catches against Revis.  If the Pats (and Moss) were smart, Moss would run Revis ragged, all out down the field with double/triple moves, to get Revis legs heavy, and his ham-sting tight in the first half then see what Revis has left in the second half that could be exploited. I have a feeling though that Brady and Moss are going to try to get Randy his catches against Revis in the first half, and at best, this will lead to 2nd and 3rd and long situations which will be more difficult to convert against the Jets or at worst, either interceptions by Revis or Brady is stripped-sacked while waiting for Moss to get open.  The Pats have the weapons to move the ball against the Jets if they use the running game, tight-ends, and the WRs to patiently move the ball down the field, espeically in the first half.  Brady needs to recognize this and not give in to feeding Randy's ego. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

We should be nervous.  I think the people have really blown this Jet loss out of proportions. They lost to probably the best team in the NFL by one single point. I am sure they will not committ 15 dumb penalties in this game and the offense cannot play worse than it did against the Ravens.   It is not like they were blown out and humiliated by the Ravens. The Jets' demise is greatly exaggerated by everyone here.  Sanchez will play better against our defense and will likely take some shots down the field.
    Posted by Spetznaz24

I don't know about the Ravens being the best team in the NFL. Otherwise, I agree. Pats fans here have gotten carried away by one win, and have seemingly buried a tough, physical team, that had one bad game.

This game presents a golden opportunity for the Patriots, Should they win, they'll all but eliminate the Jets from winning the AFC East, as the Jets would trail them by 2.5 games (the .5 represents the tie-breaker advantage) after game two! But, if their OL doesn't at least adequately protect Tom Brady, and if their defense can't play their best for 4 quarters, they could get beat.

Should the Pats lose, the AFC East title is clearly up for grabs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

It's good to be nervous. I am too, but call it more anxious then nervous. Just want to get this game going.

The Jets D is terrific, but can be beat as we demonstrated the 2nd game of the season last when we had Moss and Welker both on the field. I would not look at the 1st game as a good measuring stick because it was the first game of the new Rex era and our first real look into that defense.....

Stating the obvious, look at all the new weapons we added on offense this past year. To me, we have a perfect compliment of blitz beaters with Faulk, Welker, Edelman, Gronk, Crump, Hernandez and homerun hitters with Moss, Tate, etc. 

The problem with the Jets is in order for them to get to Brady effectively, they have to bring multiple players. They are not like the Giants of 2007, where their front 4 could bring all the heat they needed. So, the more LB's, Safeties, etc. the Jets bring, the easier it should be to pick apart with our blitz beaters. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

You shoud be nervous if the Pats try to force the ball to Moss, espeicially in the first half, so they can massage Randy's ego with some catches against Revis.  If the Pats (and Moss) were smart, Moss would run Revis ragged, all out down the field with double/triple moves, to get Revis legs heavy, and his ham-sting tight in the first half then see what Revis has left in the second half that could be exploited. I have a feeling though that Brady and Moss are going to try to get Randy his catches against Revis in the first half, and at best, this will lead to 2nd and 3rd and long situations which will be more difficult to convert against the Jets or at worst, either interceptions by Revis or Brady is stripped-sacked while waiting for Moss to get open.  The Pats have the weapons to move the ball against the Jets if they use the running game, tight-ends, and the WRs to patiently move the ball down the field, espeically in the first half.  Brady needs to recognize this and not give in to feeding Randy's ego. 
    Posted by Plluto29

Moss is 10 years older than Revis. He could run himself ragged instead. Not a good plan.

Sections
Shortcuts