Why are some fan(s) in meltdown mode?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Why are some fan(s) in meltdown mode?

Easley: fills a need at DT. His medicals were clean and when healthy he's a BEAST. and his injuries aren't the little ticky-tack bruises and concussions and that bs. two bad turns of the legs. that's all. it seems that everyone comes back fine nowadays from ACLs. So, take the positive, this kid has top 10 talent.

Garappolo- I mean me personally, I would've like to see another defensive player but hey, if BB thinks this kid could be TB's successor than better early than never.

Stork, Fleming and Halpio. all very good picks imo. UF had a good run game this season, FSU seemed to keep Jameis clean all year and Stork won best C in nation so he's obviously no scrub. Fleming was a guy that I thought would go round 2-3 honestly. I read somewhere that he could be able to kick inside to G so that's a huge plus. 3 interior OL, just what we needed.

James White- not the sexiest RB pick at the time but he was a very productive RB from a school that is known for good RBs in the pros. also he is known for ball security for all you Ridley haters but this pick shows that Rid is our #1 this season (yes)

Gallon - love the pick.

Thomas- eh, just another safety grab to see what he has. If he's good, yay if not oh well.

BB obviously saw one GLARING need on this team- interior O-Line. I also think he trusts Ridley because he didn't take a guy that could be a lead RB this year.

Seems like half the fans here are being little girls because the Pats did not make ANY 'sexy' picks. What else would you expect? BB obviously hated the TE class this draft and I'll trust his analysis over those who say Amaro is good lol.

He is looking into the future with the Jimmy Garappolo pick which I have no problem with. Quarterback is the important position in football and we cant be forced to take one next year if Mallet walks.

For those of you b!tching that we lost ground on Denver or whatever, look at our starters this season please:

Defense: C. Jones, Kelly, Wilfork (maybe Easley??), Nink, Collins, Mayo, Hightower, Revis, Browner, DMC, Harmon (Dennard and Ryan for nickel/dime situations)

Offense: Solder, Mank, Wendell (Stork?), Connolly (Fleming/Halapio?), Vollmer, Gronk/Hooman, Dobson, DA, JE, LaFell, Brady, Ridley.

Better team than last season, one that only lost to Denver by 10 in the AFCCG in which we were DECIMATED.

So those of you who are calling for BB's head (tfb in particular) just stop. We built solid interior OL depth and got a DT that creates pass rush for once! and another WR (gallon) who was a beast in college.

Check out my Pats/Sports Blog:

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Why are some fan(s) in meltdown mode?

I guess it comes to that for the last 3 years we kept on hearing, we would have gone to the SB if not for these injures and then the 1st picks has two blown out ACLs and 2 of those OL picks have two of the lowest durability rankings in the OL class.

I pray they stay healhy but if they don't that is why people might be upset. Not to mention we had the worst RZ O in BB's history with the Pats when Gronk was out and nothing was done to improve it.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

I guess it comes to that for the last 3 years we kept on hearing, we would have gone to the SB if not for these injures and then the 1st picks has two blown out ACLs and 2 of those OL picks have two of the lowest durability rankings in the OL class.

I pray they stay healhy but if they don't that is why people might be upset. Not to mention we had the worst RZ O in BB's history with the Pats when Gronk was out and nothing was done to improve it.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

This^^^^

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Joe, how many of these guys DO YOU THINK will stick at final roster or will still be a Patriot in 2 years?

Could have used some of these picks to go get a TE. 

My biggest complaint is not getting one of the top 5 TE's in the draft.  Major miss IMO, unless... Unless BB has a major TE coming in but I don't have a clue who it could be.  Keller is a huge risk, imo.  I would have liked to see someone come in to fill Wilforks role, I have my doubts about Easley.

How about safety? Oh, wait.. Chung is back, lord help us.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

It's a good point PatsEng, no doubt but I don't see the need to be SO upset by some. BB went for the SB this year in FA not the draft. The draft he built for the future.

And like I said, obviously BB didn't see the TEs as anything he liked if he did not take them. I do think TE is a need too but he has 2-3 UDFA signed at TE right? We don't necessarily need a TE we just needed a big body... Obviously there's one big hole at TE depth but who knows, Gronk may not miss a game..?  but besides that what is there to complain about?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

TE, Idk... he didn't think any were good obviously TFB. How TEs every draft are busts? seriously a ton. look at the Bengals roster. bust after bust at TE.

Safety? Duron Harmon looked fine last year in his time in the game. and he will not be asked to do much while Revis takes out half the field this year. once we lose revis and browner then SS becomes a HUGE need again but for now, its easily covered up with good CBs

I just think you continue to point out all these flaws, which SS in particular, are minimal. TE is more serious but you don't really need a TE just depends on the offense you run. 

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

TE, Idk... he didn't think any were good obviously TFB. How TEs every draft are busts? seriously a ton. look at the Bengals roster. bust after bust at TE.

Safety? Duron Harmon looked fine last year in his time in the game. and he will not be asked to do much while Revis takes out half the field this year. once we lose revis and browner then SS becomes a HUGE need again but for now, its easily covered up with good CBs

I just think you continue to point out all these flaws, which SS in particular, are minimal. TE is more serious but you don't really need a TE just depends on the offense you run. 

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

Bengals?  I'm talking about the Patriots.  TE is huge for the Patriots offense.  All top 5 TE's in this years draft would have been big in this Patriots offense.  Who cares about what they will do or not do in other teams offenses, I'm talking about this Patriots offense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Bengals?  I'm talking about the Patriots.  TE is huge for the Patriots offense.  All top 5 TE's in this years draft would have been big in this Patriots offense.  Who cares about what they will do or not do in other teams offenses, I'm talking about this Patriots offense.

God, I hope every TE in this class is a straight up so you will hush up about this crap. Rookie aren't even that productive! look at what Dobson did. Unless you hit a total homer on a rookie (kenan Allen) then normally they don't do much year 1 so the TE would've been too big anyway
    [object HTMLDivElement]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

God, I hope every TE in this class is a straight up so you will hush up about this crap. Rookie aren't even that productive! look at what Dobson did. Unless you hit a total homer on a rookie (kenan Allen) then normally they don't do much year 1 so the TE would've been too big anyway
    [object HTMLDivElement]

You can't compare the TE's in this class and what they do on other teams to what they could do in the Patriots offense.  You don't think any one of those top 5 would be better then Hooman who had 1 td last season.  Hernandez and Gronk both had nice rookie seasons, 10 and 6 td's each.  Come on Joe, this isn't even a fair argument for you.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Every active NFL player gets injured on average over two times a season. There is 100% certainty that some of these rookies will get injured. Durability rankings? Whatever.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Every active NFL player gets injured on average over two times a season. There is 100% certainty that some of these rookies will get injured. Durability rankings? Whatever.

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'm guessing you were one of the people who said the same about Ras-I. Who knows why but some people just get injured more often than others and it's not a good sign missing time in college so often for as many issues as they did

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Joe, how many of these guys DO YOU THINK will stick at final roster or will still be a Patriot in 2 years?

Could have used some of these picks to go get a TE. 

My biggest complaint is not getting one of the top 5 TE's in the draft.  Major miss IMO, unless... Unless BB has a major TE coming in but I don't have a clue who it could be.  Keller is a huge risk, imo.  I would have liked to see someone come in to fill Wilforks role, I have my doubts about Easley.

How about safety? Oh, wait.. Chung is back, lord help us.

Bingo... this is a sad testament to BB's position/philosophy in 2014 versus 2004...wow.Time has passed his GM mind by.. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow">http://joepatsfan.blogspot.com/

Well, to be fair, BB also thought that Mallett was Brady's successor.

And Gresham and Eifert are busts??? I disagree but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Turn on the radio, if you think fans here are in meltdown mode just listen to sports radio right now...even the hosts don't like this draft and are making a joke of it. Now this very well may turn into the best draft of all time, but personally I'm not a big fan of it only because of the quarterback selection in the second. I don't think wasting second round picks on a guy who most likely won't be playing for two years is a good idea when your defensive line has three guys coming off ACL injuries (Easley, Smith, Kelly) and another guy coming off of a Achilles tear (Wilfork)...oh yeah and another coming off heart surgery (Armstead). Too me another pass rusher or a younger/bigger defensive lineman would of made more sense than a quarterback that won't be playing anytime soon. Or perhaps adding a linebacker would of helped seeing how we lost Spikes and Fletcher?? Or maybe one of the top backs seeing how we lost Blount and didn't sign a guy like Moreno or MJD? Those are the types of players I would of liked to of seen them get.

So in my opinion that is why some are in "meltdown mode".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

I'm guessing you were one of the people who said the same about Ras-I. Who knows why but some people just get injured more often than others and it's not a good sign missing time in college so often for as many issues as they did

[object HTMLDivElement].

Yeah! We should only take the guys who don't get injured...so obvious!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

[object HTMLDivElement].

Yeah! We should only take the guys who don't get injured...so obvious!

[object HTMLDivElement]

I would say someone who didn't miss a single game has less risk of missing one in the Pro's compared to one that was missing a number of games from a bunch of "freak" injures wouldn't you?

But, I keep offering you a bet. I will put up 3 months pay that more than half of Vereen, Amendola, Gronk, Edelman and Vollmer will all miss time at some point this year. If you don't believe in people being injury prone it's good odds in your favor, why won't you take it?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Hey Joe, you should check out some of the other forums around the internet and see how unhappy many of the Patriot fans are of this draft. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

http://nfl.si.com/2014/05/10/2014-nfl-draft-grades/2/

New England Patriots

As critics of rather harmless endeavors like these grades will tell you, it really takes a good three or four years before any conclusions can be drawn on a draft class. Nowhere is that statement more true than in regard to the Patriots. The Tom Brady championship window is closing slowly, and yet New England may not have added a single player that will have a major impact in 2014. DT Dominique Easley has the best chance, both this year and beyond, if he’s healthy, but he is still recovering from an ACL injury.

A couple others, RB James White and WR Jeremy Gallon, might push their way into the lineup. Everyone else, most notably QB Jimmy Garoppolo, appears to have someone firmly planted in front of them on the depth chart. Having depth is a must. Did the Patriots miss out on the opportunity for more?

Grade: C-plus

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

http://oi60.tinypic.com/2i0rh5c.jpg

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

What was the biggest gripe about the D last year?  Couldn't get off the field on 3rd down.  BB didn't address that this year through F/A and the draft?  If you think he didn't then tell me what I missed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I don't see anyone in "meltdown mode" - terms like that are designed to end debate.

People can have opinions can't they?  Or did you think you are 100% right on everything?

As for why are fans concerned about this draft - it is easy to answer.  The Patriots were embarrassed in the AFC championship game. 

Embarrassed. 

Their defense did next to nothing in that game.  No pressure at all on Manning.  Did we draft a ton of pass rushers?  Nope - just one guy who had both knees reconstructed.  Great someone to party with Gronk.

Was the problem in the AFC championship game Tom Brady?  Nope.  But we drafted a long shot "QB of the future" who played at E Illinois.  And used a 2d rd pick to do it.

It was good to get interior linemen - but we got three of those and in the AFC championship game last year MATTHEW SLATER was our deep threat.  Did we draft a WR?  Just a 5'8" guy who won't make the team

We also don't have a TE - and I can't stand when we get the "when Gronk comes back..." solution to that very real problem

I like the RB - he is gonna be a little like woodhead.

Who knows on the safety

It's not a great draft C-

Defense.  It is still important.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Schumpter, I welcome opinions that differ from mine, truly I do.  To my way of thinking it provokes thought.  But the draft is primarily for the future; not right now.  Sure there are examples every season of rookies that help immediately but for the most part we are talking about down the road.  And there are some fans who are not merely unhappy but downright pi$$ed off over the draft - why?  And finally I ask the following:  The TE position is cited over and over again as an example of a position where the Pats need help now.  Which of the prospects available at that position in the draft could have helped the Pats right now?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

Schumpter, I welcome opinions that differ from mine, truly I do.  To my way of thinking it provokes thought.  But the draft is primarily for the future; not right now.  Sure there are examples every season of rookies that help immediately but for the most part we are talking about down the road.  And there are some fans who are not merely unhappy but downright pi$$ed off over the draft - why?  And finally I ask the following:  The TE position is cited over and over again as an example of a position where the Pats need help now.  Which of the prospects available at that position in the draft could have helped the Pats right now?

At that position in the draft? Keep in mind there is a way to change positions in the draft....trading up, or down. How hard would it of been to go up a little and grab Amaro? Instead our second round pick will not help this team this year, that's not good when you consider the window is slowly closing and our best chance to win a super bowl may be right now.

If you don't think we have a chance to win a super bowl right now because Brady is in serious decline then by all means treat this current draft as a futures draft...and who knows? Maybe they feel that way, maybe they think Brady is cooked, he did look like it at times last year, but they went out and got Revis and Browner...the division stinks once again, there isn't a ton of dominant teams league wide besides Seattle Denver and San Fran. I think we should of concentrated more on right now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I'm gonna be frank & honest...  Based upon Belichick's usual policy of BOTH trading down AND usually drafting (1 way or another) For Massive "Reaches" (guys whom should've came off the board later) as opposed to "values", BB did NOT draft a high proportion for "Reaches".  He did pretty excellent "Value" picks.  2 guys should In ZERO way be ranked projection-wise, where they were By NFL.com.  I had Easley in The Top 3 DL Prospects & Stork that FSU OC is a MONSTER and was the Rimington Award winner for the nation's Best OC.  That little scat-back I didn't like...until I saw his film (mbeaulieu was right)-He's instantly an improvement over Vareen's skill-set (plays like a tensed up Pebble).  This is what I can say:  Easley shows EVERY quality that The NFL saw in a young Warren Sapp (I DO Not overstate that, because I grade impossibly tough), That OT out of Stanford is a MONSTER...I love Stanford OT's...smart, massive, quick, refined and blue-collar.  The scat-back reminds me of 1 guy to a "T"=Dave Megget.  ...And the CB is All-purpose everything with pretty much THE lone quality I want outta my CBs always=A Total Game-Not just PDs and INTs, but Tackles, TFLs, Sacks, FF's, multi-position-versatility...Our Secondary look could most definitely be VASTLY changed in just 1 year's time.  And Garoppolo?  Every trait I loved about Brady in his early years-Game-Manage with no mistakes, quick sharp zing snap-release, A very soft bread basket touch pass, and the capability to move in/out of the pocket to buy time under pressure.

That is 2 OL, 1 QB, 1 DT, 1 RB, and in great probability 1 CB whom I'm sold on (And the wideout I have not watched film on, but he sounds just like an Edelman clone).  Would I have wanted Tuitt as a bookend DE and Jeremy Hill as a complimentary big back to Ridley?  Yeaaa...but dang=I CAN say that I'm sold on at least 5 prospects guaranteed.  And that NEVER happens.  The Last Complete Draft I was sold on within 1 Day after Draft?  =2010.  2012...I really liked well above average to his other classes the following day <tellin' ya'all, I grade TOUGH but fair & thorough>. 

Mark it down...I like THIS Draft behind the '10 Class alone, In BB's full tenure with the team.  At once, I get where fewer highly touted guys at fewer specific positions, might be wished for.  But in terms of what he garnered?  Yeup-Pretty d#mn good.  Unlike 8 outta 10 of BB's Draft Classes, I WILL say that he'll get not just 1, or maybe 2 guys that'll make a difference...but a HAND-ful.  That's happened in my estimation since 2005, 1 & 1/2 times prior <'10 & '12> (And I think he usually svx more often than not...and I LOVE BB everywhere else).  This 1's got a very decent shot at a number of multi-player Good Starters, which I said 1X-2010.  Unlike '10...the boom may only be 3 guys this year...but in year 2, think 5 or 6, no doubt-ON-field.  THAT is a decent draft.  ...And I know (gulp), tick-tock, tick-tock-Brady's age and perrenially 1-2 games away...But this IS a draft that can probably field a handful of starters, for years, And man-Belichick in my estimation seems to actually DIS-like doing this in the draft.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to ATJ's comment:

At that position in the draft? Keep in mind there is a way to change positions in the draft....trading up, or down. How hard would it of been to go up a little and grab Amaro? Instead our second round pick will not help this team this year, that's not good when you consider the window is slowly closing and our best chance to win a super bowl may be right now.

If you don't think we have a chance to win a super bowl right now because Brady is in serious decline then by all means treat this current draft as a futures draft...and who knows? Maybe they feel that way, maybe they think Brady is cooked, he did look like it at times last year, but they went out and got Revis and Browner...the division stinks once again, there isn't a ton of dominant teams league wide besides Seattle Denver and San Fran. I think we should of concentrated more on right now.

Was there truly anyone that was within the Pats' reach (either draft position or moving around) that could have helped the team right now?  I honestly do not believe so.

Sections
Shortcuts