Why are we stalling on Carter?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Why are we stalling on Carter?

Should he not have already been signed? It wouldn't take much to get him here, does he have nothing left after the injury.....what's the hold up!? If we're going to bring in people like Will Allen for depth would bringing Carter back not make alot of sense?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Re: Why are we stalling on Carter?

I'm not sure he'll even be healthy enough by preseason.

He got a pretty bad injury, and he's an older player. I'm willing to bet that IF he plays anywhere next year, he and the Pats already know what the deal will be and he will be playing in NE. He needs to get healthy first, why tie up cap space and a roster spot with a guy who may never get healthy enough to play again?

No need to rush.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

I had no idea a quad took that long thanks for the info, just pretty shocked today at all the talk of Anderson where Carter was much better last season and Anderson only really came along after Carter went down!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lloydchristmas. Show lloydchristmas's posts

In Response to Re: Why are we stalling on Carter?:
    [QUOTE]I had no idea a quad took that long thanks for the info, just pretty shocked today at all the talk of Anderson where Carter was much better last season and Anderson only really came along after Carter went down!
    Posted by danemcmenamin[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, tearing a quad can be just as bad if not worse than blowing out a knee. At his age his career might be over.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joel63. Show Joel63's posts

He's a 4-3 DL. We are going back to a 3-4. If he returns, it will be as a situational pass rusher. He is not as effective dropping into coverage.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

i was really hoping they re-signed anderson more than carter.....but now that anderson is off the table.....re-signing carter is looking even better....we need a damn pass rush

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

[QUOTE] He's a 4-3 DL. We are going back to a 3-4. If he returns, it will be as a situational pass rusher. He is not as effective dropping into coverage.
    Posted by Joel63[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to be rude but there's no proof we're going back to the 3-4 at all in anyway. We'll still be sending out 4-3 looks even if we do return to the 3-4 base. If we do go back to the 3-4 it's a complete necessity that we acquire a good pass rushing OLB otherwise we'll be back to the 09-10 edition of the D

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Carter isn't going anywhere, IMO.  Anderson was the pricier FA of the two. Played the whole season, younger, etc.

Personally, I think the Bills just wildly overpaid Williams who has only played 18 games in the last 2 years and now Anderson.  

The other somewhat funny thing is, they can't stop the run and neither Williams or Anderson are known as run stoppers.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

3-4 v 4-3

Just listen to any number of times BB has addressed this:

It doesn't matter what people consider their 'base' defense, they play 4-3, 3-4, 4-2, 3-2, 4-1, 5-1...they deploy a lot of fronts based on their personel, and that of the team they are playing. If they have Carter, they will deploy him in ways that make sense with the team they currently have.

People get too caught up on labeling the D this or that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why are we stalling on Carter? : Yeah, tearing a quad can be just as bad if not worse than blowing out a knee. At his age his career might be over.
    Posted by lloydchristmas[/QUOTE]

I've just remembered Rodney's career ended with that quad injury in the bronco game in 08. It could certainly be the end for Carter going by that !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why are we stalling on Carter? : Yeah, tearing a quad can be just as bad if not worse than blowing out a knee. At his age his career might be over.

Always depends on severity.  I could have sworn I read an article lately that said he was ahead of schedule.

Edit:

Yep. Here you go:

Carter's agent says veteran ahead of schedule with rehab

Posted by Shalise Manza Young, Globe Staff  February 24, 2012 03:02 PM

Earlier today, Carl Poston, the agent for soon-to-be free agent Andre Carter, talked about Carter's recovery from a torn left quadriceps and the possibility of the defensive end returning to the Patriots for a second season.

Poston said Carter "absolutely - no doubt about it" wants to play again in 2012. In his first season with the Pats, the 11-year vet registered 52 tackles and 10 sacks in 14-plus games before suffering his season-ending injury in the first half in Denver.

"He’s in good shape. He’s in good shape," Poston said. "He’s ahead on his rehab; that’s not the kind of injury – it’s not like a lower back or a knee, (where) he’s not going to be able to come back. He’ll come back 100 percent, matter of fact, he might come back stronger."

Poston confirmed that Carter, who was previously with the Redskins and 49ers, enjoyed his time with the Patriots.

"It’s a quality organization, it’s a quality team, every player wants to win the Super Bowl ring, every player wants to go to the Pro Bowl if they can, this was his opportunity to do it and he did well," Poston said. "And there’s no reason (not) to try to do it again.
    We’ve just got to cross the 'Ts' and dot the 'Is' and we can come to an agreement on something and hope its agreeable to both sides and go from there."

So has he been talking contract with New England?

"Not really. We’re just monitoring and tracking the injury and when it’s time to talk they’re going to let me know," Poston said. "I just called them to see what their plans were, whether they were interested, and I would have been surprised if they said they weren’t interested and obviously they said they were interested but it’s a little premature, a little early, and I understood that. I just, in terms of being professional and doing my job, I just want to call them and see where we stood."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Considering the quad is where 'push' is created, it'll be very tough for him. If he can't get off the ball and drive into an OLineman...he doesn't have any reason to step on a football field as a player again unfortunately.

I'd LOVE to see a healthy Carter back with this team, and I think he'd play just fine regardless of the D set.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

I'll put my money on that guy to come back and be the same player.  He's a high character guy and wants to be here.  It's actuallyy a good thing he got hurt (not for the SB thing), because it he hadn't, he'd be more pricey in FA right now and we'd possibly lose him. He'd look even better lined up next to Fanene and maybe a beastly draft pick at OLB. 

Picture Courtney Upshaw lined up as a LB in a 4-3 set with Carter at DE.   Yikes.

Imagine if BB went DT and OLB in the 1st rd? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

Panic much?

Why would you want to operate with that kind of urgency for and injured and uncertain(recovery wise) player?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I don't think I'll believe some released statements from the guy's agent...a Poston no less.  But somehow I too, think Carter will be back with the Pats.  There's no need to get him signed right away...both sides are biding their time as he goes through rehab.

Wishing him the best...he's a tough, smart, and effective player.  I think he's also a good guy to have in the locker room.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

[QUOTE]I'll put my money on that guy to come back and be the same player.  He's a high character guy and wants to be here.  It's actuallyy a good thing he got hurt (not for the SB thing), because it he hadn't, he'd be more pricey in FA right now and we'd possibly lose him. He'd look even better lined up next to Fanene and maybe a beastly draft pick at OLB.  Picture Courtney Upshaw lined up as a LB in a 4-3 set with Carter at DE.   Yikes. Imagine if BB went DT and OLB in the 1st rd? 
    Posted by BassFishing[/QUOTE]

I'd agree with you on this one the man's a physical BEAST!! He'll be one of those guys who constantly tries to push himself in his rehab and he'll be 10 months removed from the injury on opening day which is a big positive. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]I don't think I'll believe some released statements from the guy's agent...a Poston no less.  But somehow I too, think Carter will be back with the Pats.  There's no need to get him signed right away...both sides are biding their time as he goes through rehab. Wishing him the best...he's a tough, smart, and effective player.  I think he's also a good guy to have in the locker room.
    Posted by Ytsejamer1[/QUOTE]

I doubt he's lying publicly about NE's interest in Carter.  I get it's his job to sell Carter, but I doubt he lies about NE asking about Carter.

He'll be back probably on a 1 year deal.  Gerard Warren on speed dial next year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lloydchristmas. Show lloydchristmas's posts

It sure would be great to have him back at 100%
      I am a little skeptical when agents report on their clients health though.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

To be fair, who else WOULD report on his progress?

Either his agent, himself, or nobody. And it would be even more questionable to believe a guy when he says he is ahead of schedule.

At any rate, we shall see. I'd say 75% chance he's on the roster Week 1. A player with his character, and having beem here last year, and his years in the league...preseason is not terribly important, just getting healthy, then into "game" shape.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

In Response to Why are we stalling on Carter?:
    [QUOTE]Should he not have already been signed? It wouldn't take much to get him here, does he have nothing left after the injury.....what's the hold up!? If we're going to bring in people like Will Allen for depth would bringing Carter back not make alot of sense?
    Posted by danemcmenamin[/QUOTE]
    Because for some reason the Patriots have adopted the "moneyball" approach to their defense. Only seem to want to sign rejects and bargain basement rubbish from other teams on defense. Ultimately it has cost them at least 2 additional championships so far.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joel63. Show Joel63's posts

Dane,

No worries bud. You weren't rude at all. They actually run a hybrid 3-4 anyway. They'll employ both three down linemen and four. There's certainly room for him and I would imagine money will be the issue. Heck, I couldn't believe we saw Wilfork playig D end last year! He is so incredibly athletic, yet doesn't look it at all. Anything's possible. I mean really, how many of us thought we'd see Edelman at corner? You make good points Dane. Look forward to some good conversations.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Carter should be offered another fair contract by the Pat's, and he seems like a smart guy who wants to win a ring and will sign it.  I'd expect and hope he'll be at camp with a full off-season to learn to play outside linebacker in Belichick's 3/4 defense, and yes primarily rushing the passer and yes often from a 3 point stance.

He started over Anderson remember, and while I wanted him back Anderson probably wasn't willing to play for roughly the same contract as Carter will, and Carter may be outright better.  Not every player has Dan Snyder's contract money in the bank like Carter does.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Assuming Carter is able to play it will be with the Pats.He wants them,they want him and I have a hard time believing that there isn't,at the least,an agreement in principle if he has healed or will be by training camp.On a side note,I was stunned that someone paid Anderson almost $28 million over four years.I know the F.A.market has been insane this year but Buffalo has practically turned it into a farce and a couple of other clubs weren't much saner.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

bump

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

good thing they kept anderson...wait..

Sections
Shortcuts