Why can't we draft a TALLER corner!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Re: Why can't we draft a TALLER corner!

Seriously? Is McCourty not tall enough for you? Is Butler not tall enough for you? 

Darius is 5-10 and Devin 5'11 with great vertical leaps. Being tall wont solve anything.

These threads are becoming borderline stupid. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I understand what your saying, but losing Bodden (taller) didn't help this situation at ALL for this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Height is not the primary consideration for a corner.  That would be sort of like looking at D-lineman for their 40 time.  While being tall would be nice, most corners are not tall and those that are usually lack the change of direction and acceleration that makes a corner effective.  A corner simply must be able to watch a reciever go into his break and get in front of him by moving faster than the receiver.  It's nearly impossible to do which is why true man coverage is rare in the NFL.  Butler's and the defense's problems were a little more complicated than height.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Just know this Bill said Darius was one of the best prospects that he has ever seen come out.

I trust Bill and this kid Darius trust me hes good but games like this happen. We talk about it all the time that hey we know this D will struggle and you know it will happen in the secondary as well because we have the youngest corners in the league with the least experience.

Darius and Devin will be here for the long haul barring a total mental collapse on Darius part but overall thats a very confident young man. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

In Response to Re: Why can't we draft a TALLER corner!:
    [QUOTE]Seriously? Is McCourty not tall enough for you? Is Butler not tall enough for you?  Darius is 5-10 and Devin 5'11 with great vertical leaps. Being tall wont solve anything. These threads are becoming borderline stupid. 
    Posted by Pancakespwn[/QUOTE]

Well, Braylon Edwards is 6' 3" so your giving up almost half a foot BEFORE the "mad hops" that Butler supposedly has. Gimme a break dude! You know what's boderline stupid? Your reply. Kid looked like a pop warner corner going against a grown man!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

[QUOTE]Name the taller corner you wanted them to draft please.
    Posted by FishTaco64[/QUOTE]

Your right, nobody I guess. This is the boliler plate response when everyone posts about who we should draft or what FA we should acquire ect. Your right, what we have is just fine. DB's are FINE, running game is FINE, pass rush is FINE
    "In Bill We Trust"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Ty Law - 5'11
    Deion Sanders - 6'0
    Darrelle Revis - 5'11
    Asante Samuel - 5'10
    Darius Butler - 5'10

Corners don't have to be very tall to cover. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Not to metion that 6' or so tall corners that can actually cover are top 5 material when they come out.  That is why I vote for Patrick Peterson CB next year.  I know we wont draft him, but I wish we would. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

Patrick Peterson all american junior from LSU is listed at 6'1 220 lbs.  I know people will freak out if we draft another corner in the next draft but this guy is the real deal.  Awesome speed and very physical.  Teams avoid him like the plague.  Last game he had 2 int's.  If the Pats can get a legit pass rusher and draft Peterson they will be tough to deal with.  I think Butler will be a good nickel corner covering the slot.  Then you have McCourty and Peterson on the outside.  Who knows what Bodden will be like next year after being out all this time. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]Not to metion that 6' or so tall corners that can actually cover are top 5 material when they come out.  That is why I vote for Patrick Peterson CB next year.  I know we wont draft him, but I wish we would. 
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

Bodden will be back next season. With a year under McCourty's belt he'll be a much better CB. No need to draft another CB. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

McCourty and Kyle Wilson were available as corners this April.  McCourty is 5'11' with long arms.  Kyle Wilson is 5'10" with arms an inch and a half shorter.  The Jets collected Wilson two picks after the Patriots got McCourty.  I don't like shrimpy cornerbacks either, but at least this time the Patriots got the better pick.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Butler's problem is mental. He needs to learn to read the body language of a WR. He keeps getting faked out by them. It requires reps, and hopefully he'll get better. Tight coverage is good enough in the NCAA, but at the NFL level you need to get a hand in on the play. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

because if they were taller, you'd call them a wide receiver.