Why Challenge the Manningham Catch?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Why Challenge the Manningham Catch?

It did not occur to me until well after the game, but it was a HUGE coaching mistake for BB to challenge the he Manningham catch. They had shown a replay before he through the flag that look like he had both feet in. 

If the had not wasted that time-out, the would not have let Bradshaw score. They could have played for the FG and still gotten the ball back with about a minute left.

If some one in the booth told him to throw the red flag that person should lose their job. If he challenge knowing the chances were slim it would be overturned, than it is 100% in him. You cannot waste a timeout that late in a close game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

Re: Why Challenge the Manningham Catch?

I think the goal at that point wasn't to allow the Giants to score and get the ball back to Brady with as much time as possible. The goal was to stop the Giants from scoring at all.

I agree with you that it wasn't the best decision to challenge, but I understood why Belichick did it. It was a huge play, and to have it overturned could've won us the game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In Response to Re: Why Challenge the Manningham Catch?:
    I think the goal at that point wasn't to allow the Giants to score and get the ball back to Brady with as much time as possible. The goal was to stop the Giants from scoring at all. I agree with you that it wasn't the best decision to challenge, but I understood why Belichick did it. It was a huge play, and to have it overturned could've won us the game.
    Posted by kevin13130

I agree that if it was overturned it would have made a big difference, but you could tell on the first replay (which aired before he through the challenge flag and that means they saw it in the Patriots coaching booth upstairs) that he had both feet in bounds.

If they had two timeouts left on that second down that Bradshaw scored, they could have stop the clock after both plays and played for the FG without allowing the Giants to run the clock down.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

Well I was screaming for them to challenge it, but I'm not a head coach and that was really in the heat of the moment.

I think, in retrospect, you're right. It was a clear catch and it shouldn't have been challenged. But given the pressure of the game and what that catch meant, I find it hard to fault anyone.

Also, I think your whole timeout thing is predicated on the idea that we hold the Giants to a field goal. What if the Giants run the ball three times and get a TD? Then, we're left with no timeouts and face the same problem of having to score a touchdown.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In Response to Re: Why Challenge the Manningham Catch?:
    Well I was screaming for them to challenge it, but I'm not a head coach and that was really in the heat of the moment. I think, in retrospect, you're right. It was a clear catch and it shouldn't have been challenged. But given the pressure of the game and what that catch meant, I find it hard to fault anyone. Also, I think your whole timeout thing is predicated on the idea that we hold the Giants to a field goal. What if the Giants run the ball three times and get a TD? Then, we're left with no timeouts and face the same problem of having to score a touchdown.
    Posted by kevin13130

It is definitely predicated on the Giants kicking a Field Goal. You would have had the ball with maybe 10 fewer seconds and no timeouts instead of one. However, with the time out, you at least try to stop them instead on putting your team in a position where conceding points is your best option.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CAPITALIST_AVENGER. Show CAPITALIST_AVENGER's posts

GREAT THREAD. WAS THINKING the same thing. it looked like a ctach to the naked eye and even more clearly on the replay. bb just challenged on competitve emotion. surprised he's not taking more hits for that, really hurt us! negative coaching points for that!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

BB was right in front of the play and got too see it on replay.  Nice challenge Bill!

Sections
Shortcuts