Why cut woodhead?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

Why cut woodhead?

I always enjoyed the fact that Rex Ryan cut Woodhead, and seeing the Pats get so much production from him.  Then the Pats let him go. Never knew why.  Was it a salary issue?  Anyone read anything on this.  He's such a popular team player, and a proven toughie on the field.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Why cut woodhead?

In response to piersall's comment:

I always enjoyed the fact that Rex Ryan cut Woodhead, and seeing the Pats get so much production from him.  Then the Pats let him go. Never knew why.  Was it a salary issue?  Anyone read anything on this.  He's such a popular team player, and a proven toughie on the field.

BB thought Vareen was the better of the two and decided to let Woodhead get a chance at a "big"contract.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

It was puzzling to me because coming off that 1st year here, he was an unknown and I thought we could have signed him to a 3 or 4 year deal for cheap money but each year passed and no extension so I knew he was just a quick use until better arrived but the problem is you cant measure durability and toughness. Anyone could see Vareen was the heir apparant but Woody was here 1st and proved himself and Vareen just missed almost a whole season with a broken wrist.

I would have tried to sign Woody and then in a few years when Vareen was up, then you part with Woody. Very strange though he never got a deal here yet we wasted millions on bums like Ocho....head scrather for sure but its the biz

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

The amount of players you can have on your team is limited.  The amount you can dress per game is even more limited.  You have a rookie who can do the same things, with more upside, and is cheaper then the guy who's contract is up and needs renewing.  Guys get cut like this every single year.  It's a shame, because I loved the guy, but I understand the thought process behind the decision. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I never understood the Vereen was better excuse in all honesty.

1) Woodhead was Vereens backup last year so it's not like he was in Vereens way

2) Vereen has been injury prone with the Pats so why wouldn't you want a backup that can spot start and knows the system

Even the contract discussion I think is a bit moot. I hear well you don't want to invest that much into a 3rd RB:

1) If you have an injury prone starter you need to invest a bit more into the backups. It's the price you have to pay sometimes

2) Woodheads contract isn't that far off from most backup RBs around the league so it's a matter of saving pennies on the dollar and spending more per production to save those pennies

I know I get on BB for not resigning Welker but in all honesty if I had to put the biggest mistake of the offseason I would put it on letting Woodhead go. For the price SD paid him and Edelman could be the most productive FAs/price paid of any FAs this year. Just think you take away A. Wilson and Washingtons contracts and that more than pays for Woodhead. And, before you ask who do you replace the answer is simple Bolden who has been less productive than Woodhead has been with the Pats. That's a strong RB core Ridley, Blount, Vereen, Woodhead. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Strengthening a divisional rival of our conference rival ... brilliant move

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Vereen can return kicks in a pinch, Woodhead cannot.  Vereen has a rookie wage, Woodhead was going to receive a large contract.  

This a a lot like the Law Firm move and the Kyle Love and Brandon Deaderick moves, if you can get the same production from a rookie or undrafted free agent rather than overpay for a guy then you do it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Don't forget,  that decision was made before BB knew his starting TE/WR was going to jail for the rest of his life.  
    I liked Danny, tough little bstard but on paper Shane does more for less.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Vereen can return kicks in a pinch, Woodhead cannot.  Vereen has a rookie wage, Woodhead was going to receive a large contract.  

This a a lot like the Law Firm move and the Kyle Love and Brandon Deaderick moves, if you can get the same production from a rookie or undrafted free agent rather than overpay for a guy then you do it.

I agree with thought process but you sure you want to keep this post or should you edit it?  Vareen can return kickoffs but Woodhead cannot?

Ok, I'll give you a few to think about it and change it since you dont like when people bring back up stuff. Vareen has only returned a few kickoffs mostly the last few weeks. Woodhead did the same while he was here and was more productive...

Woodhead has 34 career kickoff returns with the pats and Chargers. Vareen has THREE career kickoffs ALL coming in the last couple weeks and that didnt take much research.  You are on a roll this year....dont worry, only a few of us know and the rest still think you are cool. Shall we file this gem away with the Sudfeld and Collins and Adrian Wilson and Armond Armstead statements from earlier....?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I agree with thought process but you sure you want to keep this post or should you edit it?  Vareen can return kickoffs but Woodhead cannot?

Ok, I'll give you a few to think about it and change it since you dont like when people bring back up stuff. Vareen has only returned a few kickoffs mostly the last few weeks. Woodhead did the same while he was here and was more productive... 

Woodhead has 34 career kickoff returns with the pats and Chargers. Vareen has THREE career kickoffs ALL coming in the last couple weeks and that didnt take much research.  You are on a roll this year....dont worry, only a few of us know and the rest still think you are cool. Shall we file this gem away with the Sudfeld and Collins and Adrian Wilson and Armond Armstead statements from earlier....?

Danny Woodhead returned the majority of his kicks for us in his first year and nearly died, the following year he returned 2 kicks... he isn't the guy you want back there.  

Vereen is bigger, stronger and returned a kicks in college at California, he hasn't been overly healthy in his first couple seasons but the ability is there.  BB gave up on Woody returning kicks for a reason.

We're 12-4; Collins, Harmon, Logan Ryan, Dobson, Thompkins, Chandler Jones et al have played extremely well.  Your overal opinion that Belichick sux at drafting and talent evaluation is a running joke on this site, kind of like your grammar.  Wilson and Armstead got hurt and put on the shelf, injuries happen in football.  All I said about Sudfeld was he had great hands but also said he was weak and needed to prove it in blocking, he is no longer on this team.  

Stop trying to sound superior to other posters, paired with your twelve year old writing proficiency it makes you look silly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

All I ask of you Wozzy is dont call me a liar. When you say things like "I never said that" you are in essence calling me a liar. I am here to talk football not teach grammar but thx for letting me know you are tapping out.

Ive never tried to sound superior but like I told Rusty years ago, If I see something I am gonn speak on it. You have comfirmed being the biggest homer here. If BB did it, It must be great. Thats your contribution here. Dont be mad at me for not knowing football

Lets see, this started because YOU said Sudfeld was the greatest thing since slice bread and had best hands on the team and said Collins was the best tackler, ALL BEFORE THEY PLAYED THEIR 1st regular season game. That wasnt smart and when I asked about it, you said you never said it which was calling me a liar. If you cant stand by your word on a sports forum...... I dont know man. Hope you work on that, cuz people seem to like you here. Would hate to ruin your rep here. I will refrain from calling you out anymore. Seems I struck I nerve for you to go off topic and question my grammar and call me silly!.....lol Keep deflecting. you are entering rusty territory now

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Cue Rusty in 3........ 2.......  1.........

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

What is the point? Pats have  three powerhouse RBs. I like Woodhead but I don't see we have to discuss about his release when Veereen can produce 2X much than Woodhead.

Pats needed a running game to balance the offense for the last previous seasons.

(Yay for editing button)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Maybe it had to do with Woodys post season production in the running game...

14 carries for 46 yards against the jets in 2010

7 carries for 18 yards against the giants in the SB

6 carries for 18 yards against baltimore in the afc game

and his best game 4 carries for 25 yards in the denver blow out.

He does well given opportunity coming out of the back field but Vareen is clearly a more dynamic receiving back. Vareen can also run between the tackles. I disagree with pats eng assesment that we should have kept both. Vareen will make 600k this year where woody would have made 2.5 million to back him up? Doesn't make sense.

I am glad he has a pretty big role in S.D and nobody has more heart then Woody, but he wasn't a safe player to invest in imo, not when you alread had a better version in Vareen!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to Cloudyandrain's comment:

What is the point? They had  three powerhouse RBs. I like Woodhead but I don't see we have to discuss about his release when Veereen can produce 2X much than Woodhead.

Pats needed a running game to balance the offense for the last previous seasons.

+1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

All I ask of you Wozzy is dont call me a liar. When you say things like "I never said that" you are in essence calling me a liar. I am here to talk football not teach grammar but thx for letting me know you are tapping out.

Ive never tried to sound superior but like I told Rusty years ago, If I see something I am gonn speak on it. You have comfirmed being the biggest homer here. If BB did it, It must be great. Thats your contribution here. Dont be mad at me for not knowing football

Lets see, this started because YOU said Sudfeld was the greatest thing since slice bread and had best hands on the team and said Collins was the best tackler, ALL BEFORE THEY PLAYED THEIR 1st regular season game. That wasnt smart and when I asked about it, you said you never said it which was calling me a liar. If you cant stand by your word on a sports forum...... I dont know man. Hope you work on that, cuz people seem to like you here. Would hate to ruin your rep here. I will refrain from calling you out anymore. Seems I struck I nerve for you to go off topic and question my grammar and call me silly!.....lol Keep deflecting. you are entering rusty terrority now

Show me where I said "I never said that," you twisting things I've said in the past, putting words in my mouth doesn't count as me saying what you've attributed to me.  

I said Sudfeld had great hands, I also pointed out his flaws and also said other factual things like Bethel Johnson was fast, it doesn't make it the same as me saying they our best player at that position and I certainly never said Sudfeld was "the greatest thing since sliced bread," you said that right now.  

If you go back and look at where I had Sudfeld on my preseason depth chart it was in the very last spot at tightend behind Huey and at the time Ballard and Fells.

Collins tackled Wes Welker in open space on a crucial third down with no help out on an island, show me the list of 250 pound linebackers who could make that play?  This kid is going to be a great player.  Do you really want to argue against this and revisit this thread a year from now... bet you don't.

Tapping out?  

I could argue with you, I could also pee into the wind, neither makes me look very intelligent.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to DeadAhead2's comment:

Lets see, this started because YOU said Sudfeld was the greatest thing since slice bread and had best hands on the team and said Collins was the best tackler, ALL BEFORE THEY PLAYED THEIR 1st regular season game. That wasnt smart and when I asked about it, you said you never said it which was calling me a liar. If you cant stand by your word on a sports forum...... I dont know man. Hope you work on that, cuz people seem to like you here. Would hate to ruin your rep here. I will refrain from calling you out anymore. Seems I struck I nerve for you to go off topic and question my grammar and call me silly!.....lol Keep deflecting. you are entering rusty territory now

You and Mt Hurl in particular do lie/sneakily maneuver, though. You each have terrible memories or intentionally change a word or two from the person's original statement to try to gain leverage back in the debate. It's one or the other. Mt HUrl is infamous for that troll tactic.  BUstchise use it, he uses it and you've been known to use it. It can't always be poor reading comprehension, Shizzles.

Basically, everything Mt Hurl claims I ever said on his little list of things, is a lie because he intentionally misrepresented what I factually said originally.

Hey , I was expecting you. Wozzy used to be your biggest fan,. so thats the least can do is offer some help when he is going through tough times. The problem is now you are gonna be the focus ....  Its better to mind your business and you arent exactly the one to speak seeing as you put words in peoples mouth DAILY and have the worst comprehension skills here unless you just play dumb when you are wrong. Either way, I will have you know I am not the only one to call out wozzy on his statements. Thats the thing when you post here. It doesnt go away. Thats why you are on account # 47 because you want those old accounts to go away so you arent reminded of your BS. Others have saw the same thing I did thats why Its really pathetic to try and take it back and then say weeks later, Yes! I did Say that, after your proclamation starts to look right finally....lol

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Cloudyandrain's comment:

What is the point? Pats have  three powerhouse RBs. I like Woodhead but I don't see we have to discuss about his release when Veereen can produce 2X much than Woodhead.

(Yay for editing button)

Because Vereen hadn't proved to be able to stay healthy with the Pats, hence why Woodhead was critical last year. When you have to rely on an injury prone player you need to have a good backup, and who backed up Vereen when he went down?

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Wozzy whether you like it or not Woodhead showed he could return kicks, Vereen has yet to show that so your first assumption needs more time to prove out but it's not a sure thing.

As for your second statement, Woodhead didn't get a large contract so how could you say he was going to? I'm sure he checked in with the Pats after the offer, the Pats weren't flying blind thinking he was going to get big money. 

As for you last point I generally agree except who was the rook that came in and replaced him? For how little he got paid and the production he provided his price per production far outweighted his replacement, so while I can understand the thinking this time around it didn't pay off.

Sections
Shortcuts