Why did Denver persue Welker?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Why did Denver persue Welker?

I'm watching the Denver/Giants seeing if my bet that the G Men would bring down Denver a bit (don't ask) and I see this guy Decker snagging catches all over the place, a slot guy no less. The chasing of Welker caused Denver to lose Dumerville so with this kid Decker looking pretty stout to me why did they chase Welker? To hurt us?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Why did Denver persue Welker?

Decker can play outside.  He isn't exclusively a slot guy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Decker has played a lot outside and before Wes, they had Peyton throwing to 45 y/o Brandon Stokely. At his age, even Wes Welker looked like a rookie and a younger option. So technically they did need him as Stokely was out. Decker is mainly an outside WR. He may move around, IDk.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Decker can play outside.  He isn't exclusively a slot guy.

Hmmm...guy looked really good, a lot like Welker.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Elway gets a lot of credit for turning around the Broncos (and he certainly deserves some), but other than Manning (and Welker this year) the main cogs on offense including the offensive line, Moreno, Decker and Thomas were all in place when he showed up.  Amusingly a lot of those guys were brought in by McD.  By my count in the 2 years he was there they drafted Moreno, Decker, Thomas, Beadles and Walton.  Pretty good haul on the offensive side of the ball.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

I'm watching the Denver/Giants seeing if my bet that the G Men would bring down Denver a bit (don't ask) and I see this guy Decker snagging catches all over the place, a slot guy no less. The chasing of Welker caused Denver to lose Dumerville so with this kid Decker looking pretty stout to me why did they chase Welker? To hurt us?

Because John out foxed Billy and made their afc rivals weaker and themselves better.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

They didn't Welker went to them. Remember he said he'd only play for Brady or Manning,  He took less than the Patriots offered him, so why would they not sign him.  He was playing one team against the other and I think it backfired on him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Why did they persue him? Because he's good?

Evil's work computer name ( don't tell the boss )

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

Why did they persue him? Because he's good?

Evil's work computer name ( don't tell the boss )

Well...they lost Dumerville to get him. I don't think Welker was needed in Denver. I love the guy but he did have at least 3 drops in the game yesterday. Plus he got flattened on one nasty hit. Decker was killer all day. I think Denver would have been better with Dumerville.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Because John out foxed Billy and made their afc rivals weaker and themselves better.

This.

In response to NEGAME2's comment:

They didn't Welker went to them. Remember he said he'd only play for Brady or Manning,  He took less than the Patriots offered him, so why would they not sign him.  He was playing one team against the other and I think it backfired on him.

And this.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

I thought they missed the time deadline to send Dumervil his contract?  

I know the media reported Welker going to them. He wasn't getting along with BB and BB refused to pay him also reported in the media.  There was some bad blood there between the two of them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

That offense is incredibly balanced in terms of touches through two games. Two running backs with 20 and 22 carries and four guys with between 16-20 targets in the passing game.

I disagree that Welker cost them Dumervil. That was a totally seperate disaster.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:

I know the media reported Welker going to them. He wasn't getting along with BB and BB refused to pay him also reported in the media.  There was some bad blood there between the two of them.

Signing Welker put them over the CAP. They wanted Dumerville to rework his deal to free up space and he originally refused. They told him he would be cut out right if he did not rework. He did then agree but in the rush to get it done they missed the dead line and he walked. This was indeed set into motion with the Welker signing.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Denver is playing at my #1 power ranking after two weeks.  Seattle, which rolled over an excellent San Francisco team, just barely missed Denver's ranking at #2. 

Welker, for all of his drops, scares defenses.  He's open all day when single covered and he moves the chains.  He has consistently gotten 120 catches every year so far.  Part of the reason that Denver downed the Giants by 18 points in Snoopy Bowl field is probably that the Jints had to double cover Welker or else. 

Denver's real questions have to do with longevity.  Is Welker at 32 finally hearing more footsteps?  Maybe yes, maybe no.  Manning at 36 lost the ability to hit the long ball, but is Manning at 37 going to lose his ability to hit medium passes too?  Maybe yes, maybe no.  (These questions may eventually be applied to Tom Brady also.  I don't think that he hit all of his deep targets against the Jets.) 

Denver has made a huge gamble, big chance of a win, big chance of a loss, with Welker, and we'll just have to see.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from skinnyrexraptor. Show skinnyrexraptor's posts

Why did they sign Welker?...to watch him drop mucho passes that hit him in the hands!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:

Signing Welker put them over the CAP. They wanted Dumerville to rework his deal to free up space and he originally refused. They told him he would be cut out right if he did not rework. He did then agree but in the rush to get it done they missed the dead line and he walked. This was indeed set into motion with the Welker signing.

That makes sense.  I've never seen that whole situation explained before. Thanks.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

The Welker contract did get the ball rolling, but the Dumveril fiasco was a failure by his agent. Didn't he fire the guy afterwards. He agreed to the restructuring so the Welker contract was not going to cost them anything.

Anyhow, without Von Miller and Dumervil they still have 5 sacks on the season (1 more than Pats through 2 games).

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts