Why did ESPN have to shove personal Sam moment down our throats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

Why did ESPN have to shove personal Sam moment down our throats?

Brady2Welker47

Why couldn't they just focus on the player, his ability, game film and collegiate accomplishments? I could care less about his personal srxual preference! But ESPN chose to make it about that instead of Sam the player...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Why did ESPN have to shove personal Sam moment down our throats?

Yeah, just like when the media shoved Jackie Robinson's personal life down everyone's throat. Senseless!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

He's not allowed to live his live and show his feelings towards his significant other on national TV?  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

Brady2Welker47

Showing Sam and his emotional moment with his partner was great...they shared a kiss great...but then they had to go on showing them eating cake out of each others mouth..really??? I would have preferred to see his game film ...all of his accomplishments..not some reality show...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to Brady2Welker47's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brady2Welker47

Showing Sam and his emotional moment with his partner was great...they shared a kiss great...but then they had to go on showing them eating cake out of each others mouth..really??? I would have preferred to see his game film ...all of his accomplishments..not some reality show...

[/QUOTE]

I hope you can realize that Sam isn't the story ... you are. If that were a straight player with his GF no one would say a thing. The reason they are showing it is because (sadly) in 2014 it still gets the "go back in the closet" reaction. 

Once that reaction is gone, it won't be a story anymore. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

It was nice to have a camera there and catch the emotion he had when getting drafted.  They do that with lots of players, but then they showed it like 10 times over and over on NFL network. If someone is looking to be treated the same as everyone else then do so, treat the moment that way too. 

Another thing that I didn't like was on NFL network they were acting like it was some type of conspiracy between the owners that he wasn't getting picked. Acting like they couldn't believe Sam had not been picked yet, even acted shocked and made a few comments about players who were graded below him were getting picked ahead of him. They were making a big deal about it, it was beginning to look and feel so very fake.

The Rams is a good spot for Sam, I like Jeff Fisher and and I think this is a perfect fit. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Brady2Welker47

[/QUOTE]

I hope you can realize that Sam isn't the story ... you are. If that were a straight player with his GF no one would say a thing. The reason they are showing it is because (sadly) in 2014 it still gets the "go back in the closet" reaction. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Exactly

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It was nice to have a camera there and catch the emotion he had when getting drafted.  They do that with lots of players, but then they showed it like 10 times over and over on NFL network. If someone is looking to be treated the same as everyone else then do so, treat the moment that way too. 

Another thing that I didn't like was on NFL network they were acting like it was some type of conspiracy between the owners that he wasn't getting picked. Acting like they couldn't believe Sam had not been picked yet, even acted shocked and made a few comments about players who were graded below him were getting picked ahead of him. They were making a big deal about it, it was beginning to look and feel so very fake.

The Rams is a good spot for Sam, I like Jeff Fisher and and I think this is a perfect fit. 

[/QUOTE]

Not at all, TFB. Mayock went out of his way to say that he doesn't want the idea that had Sam gone undrafted, that it had anything at all to do with his sexuality. Mayock painted a rather clear picture explaining why Sam fell in the draft. It had to do with his athletic ability (or lack thereof) showcased during his combine. The rest of the panel fell in line, but did acknowledged that if Sam had gone undrafted that chatter (that he went undrafted due to his sexual preference) would begin.

Again, Mayock went out of his way to dismiss the aforementioned, and no one else on the panel brought that idea up either. They simply acknowledged that it would happen. 

And FWIW, I only saw NFLN show the Sam with his significant other clip twice following him being drafted.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

In response to APpats22's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

ESPN made it a big deal not me....never had never will have a problem with preferences...but just as I don't shove my preferences down ANYONEs throat...it would be appreciated that others preferences are not shoved down my throat...

As I said before catching moment with his partner trying to console him was great...the kiss him and his partner shared was great...but other stuff was over the top .I was watching the draft to learn about players why teams drafted them...second guess GMs...not to watch reality TV.

Wouldn't have been a big deal till ESPN made it into such.

Brady2Welker47

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Exactly

[/QUOTE]

Brady2Welker47

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Brady2Welker47

I agree with you TFB St Louis perfect spot for Sam...hope he does well! Great situation for him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Not at all, TFB. Mayock went out of his way to say that he doesn't want the idea that had Sam gone undrafted, that it had anything at all to do with his sexuality. Mayock painted a rather clear picture explaining why Sam fell in the draft. It had to do with his athletic ability (or lack thereof) showcased during his combine. The rest of the panel fell in line, but did acknowledged that if Sam had gone undrafted that chatter (that he went undrafted due to his sexual preference) would begin.

Again, Mayock went out of his way to dismiss the aforementioned, and no one else on the panel brought that idea up either. They simply acknowledged that it would happen. 

And FWIW, I only saw NFLN show the Sam with his significant other clip twice following him being drafted.

Rich Eisen kept digging at it and digging at it, it was to the point that it was almost embarrassing of him.  I couldn't believe when they started to make a big deal of players rated below him being picked above him.  NFL Network showed it over and over and many times long after the pick was made and as the discussions continued.  ESPN even called Jeff Fisher and talked to him about the pick.  It was a little much by both networks, imo.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to APpats22's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

ESPN made it a big deal not me....never had never will have a problem with preferences...but just as I don't shove my preferences down ANYONEs throat...it would be appreciated that others preferences are not shoved down my throat...

As I said before catching moment with his partner trying to console him was great...the kiss him and his partner shared was great...but other stuff was over the top .I was watching the draft to learn about players why teams drafted them...second guess GMs...not to watch reality TV.

Wouldn't have been a big deal till ESPN made it into such.

Brady2Welker47

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Exactly

[/QUOTE]

Brady2Welker47

[/QUOTE]

Come on man. How many minutes of Johnny Manziel just "waiting" did we have to watch? 

It's a big story. He is the first openly gay player in the NFL, a sport mot hostile to gay people. 

It's bigger than any other story in the draft. 

That is why ESPN is covering it. 

Again, if this is some other player kissing his GF or celebrating, no one is on this forum saying a single word. 

That is why it's a story. 

Pipe down, then it will cease to be and ESPN will only air as many cuts as the player would otherwise get. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Didn't see the moment(S), 'cause I got basic tv for the NE Winter (don't have ESPN, and in less than a month, I'm sayin' scr#w it ta that too), BUT-  I can see where others are coming from, 100%=  Gay, fine...but dang, treat me like everyone else, period point-blank.  What year are we in?  WhoTH gives a s^it?  IF he ain't gettin' picked, maybe the Owners liked someone else...or maybe they DO have m#r#n's prerogative to favor a lesser player, because they're dvmb-#sses...no-one knows, and no one should either care or "conspire" to jump to a "displacing upon" hunch TO Care.  And IF ESPN DID show some couple "cake-eating scene" 10X more than ANY-one else...they get their own issues about caring TO MUCH themselves...forwarding an almost hypocritical agenda of pretense.  I think that is what the OP is sayin' here.  

Heck...maybe 1 day A female will be a Pro Football player somewhere on the field...I'd love it.  IF she's better skilled than another male draft pick to garner a selection and a shot, that's the only thing I actually WOULD care about (same as with anyone else, no different).  But 1 thing I WOULD care about...Is seeing a deliberate & specific add-on Extra TO forward some agenda upon Women's Rights, or something.  Is' allll equal IF you can get yourself to that spot...and it should be treated as thus, period.  =Putting on extra airs, even with Good Intention, already has the smell of "lesserness" somewhere, "inequality" somewhere, by way of "specialty & favoritism" somewhere.  With a gay person drafted or maybe IF a woman is drafted someday, Maybe ESPN can set the stage, by garnering them a team jersey on the podium, and in lieu of the standard block jersey-number, ESPN and The Team can give the woman or gay guy a jersey with "dagger-like" jags and and super-sharp edges as #'s...this way, skilled and qualified OR Not...they can come off as "Super Extra Tough."

...Get the point?  A woman is as equal as a man...come good cr#p in this life, AND ALL the bad cr#p...and should be treated as thus.  A gay person is as equal as a straight person...come good cr#p in this life, AND ALL the bad cr#p...and should be treated as thus.  "Delicacies" seek to diminish the human...and oftentimes in this overly PR for no good reason any longer, make them far softer and favored than they should be.  ...By way of "delicately managed" scenarios & mindsets...e-specially these days, & far too often, unfortunately under "Good Intentions."  =Total Equal Regard & Treatment, don't work like dat.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to dreighver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Rich Eisen kept digging at it and digging at it, it was to the point that it was almost embarrassing of him.  And no, you are wrong... NFL Network showed it over and over and many times long after the pick was made and as the discussions continued.  ESPN even called Jeff Fisher and talked to him about the pick.  It was a little much by both networks, imo.

[/QUOTE]

Just like when Paramount made the film 42 man. I get it. Stop shoving Jackie Robinson's color down my throat. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Just like when Paramount made the film 42 man. I get it. Stop shoving Jackie Robinson's color down my throat. 

LMAO!  um, okay Z.  You can think it's the same thing... It isn't.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LMAO!  um, okay Z.  You can think it's the same thing... It isn't.

[/QUOTE]

Lol! You can keep insisting it's not, and that you aren't homophobic. Both aren't true. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Lol! You can keep insisting it's not, and that you aren't homophobic. Both aren't true. 

LMAO!  You have got to be kidding??? Please show me one comment I made that would indicate I am homophobic?  We live in a different world these days compared to the days of Jackie Robinson.  No, not the same thing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to LazarusintheSanatorium's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Didn't see the moment(S), 'cause I got basic tv for the NE Winter (don't have ESPN, and in less than a month, I'm sayin' scr#w it ta that too), BUT-  I can see where others are coming from, 100%=  Gay, fine...but dang, treat me like everyone else, period point-blank.  What year are we in?  WhoTH gives a s^it?  IF he ain't gettin' picked, maybe the Owners liked someone else...or maybe they DO have m#r#n's prerogative to favor a lesser player, because they're dvmb-#sses...no-one knows, and no one should either care or "conspire" to jump to a "displacing upon" hunch TO Care.  And IF ESPN DID show some couple "cake-eating scene" 10X more than ANY-one else...they get their own issues about caring TO MUCH themselves...forwarding an almost hypocritical agenda of pretense.  I think that is what the OP is sayin' here.  

Heck...maybe 1 day A female will be a Pro Football player somewhere on the field...I'd love it.  IF she's better skilled than another male draft pick to garner a selection and a shot, that's the only thing I actually WOULD care about (same as with anyone else, no different).  But 1 thing I WOULD care about...Is seeing a deliberate & specific add-on Extra TO forward some agenda upon Women's Rights, or something.  Is' allll equal IF you can get yourself to that spot...and it should be treated as thus, period.  =Putting on extra airs, even with Good Intention, already has the smell of "lesserness" somewhere, "inequality" somewhere, by way of "specialty & favoritism" somewhere.  With a gay person drafted or maybe IF a woman is drafted someday, Maybe ESPN can set the stage, by garnering them a team jersey on the podium, and in lieu of the standard block jersey-number, ESPN and The Team can give the woman or gay guy a jersey with "dagger-like" jags and and super-sharp edges as #'s...this way, skilled and qualified OR Not...they can come off as "Super Extra Tough."

...Get the point?  A woman is as equal as a man...come good cr#p in this life, AND ALL the bad cr#p...and should be treated as thus.  A gay person is as equal as a straight person...come good cr#p in this life, AND ALL the bad cr#p...and should be treated as thus.  "Delicacies" seek to diminish the human...and oftentimes in this overly PR for no good reason any longer, make them far softer and favored than they should be.  ...By way of "delicately managed" scenarios & mindsets...e-specially these days, & far too often, unfortunately under "Good Intentions."  =Total Equal Regard & Treatment, don't work like dat.

[/QUOTE]

Again, it's not about Sam. It's about this reaction. The fact that there is an openly gay NFL player is a major cultural event. After this draft is over and done for years, it will be the defining moment in the draft. 

It's going to be the thing everyone covers.

Finally, Sam had no preferential treatment. He got a little extra air time because of the historical aspect, but you really are kidding me if you believe that the SEC defensive player of the year getting drafted by a team is evidence of preferential treatment. Because of his size, he has some major question marks, but otherwise he is a good prospect worth taking late in the draft.

Per TV coverage equality, once it's a story that Johnny Manziel is kissing his GF on TV (it's not) or there are legions of people who would consider that "cramming it down their throats" then you can open a discussion about equality on that level. 

If you want overall equality ... 1 in 10 tv characters should be openly gay. Now how much are you going to bet it's not close to that?

The point is, the "story" is how far Americans have to go before they are "over it."

Judging by this thread, they clearly are not. If you can't get that this is a major cultural story, then sorry, because it is. ESPN SHOULD be covering it at length. It drives ratings, and it commemorates a minor milestone in civil rights, even if they were only violated culturally.  

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Z~

You're not "getting it."  Please re-read my OP...  To really & TRULLY begin to view ANY person (or thing) as "Equal", One MUST progress to the mindset & act & perception & understanding, To View, Regard, Speak about & Conceive said person/thing, within:  Total NON-Specialness.  Equality of race, religion, gender, sexual preference, nationality, other animates, MUST be regarded & perceived through:  ...well, scr#w it, here's the synonyms for "Special", you could place the notion of "Historical Importance" and/or "Everyday Regard" within the same notion/mindset. 

...Place the term "Non" preceding each & every single 1 of these terms, and...

spe·cial
    ˈspeSHəl/
    adjective
    adjective: special
    better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual.
    "they always made a special effort at Christmas"
    synonyms:
    exceptional, unusual, singular, uncommon, notable, noteworthy, remarkable, outstanding, unique More"a very special person"
    momentous, significant, memorable, signal, important, historic, festive, gala, red-letter
    "a special occasion"

exceptionally good or precious.
    "she's a very special person"
    synonyms:
    exceptional, unusual, singular, uncommon, notable, noteworthy, remarkable, outstanding, unique More"a very special person"
    belonging specifically to a particular person or place.
    "we want to preserve our town's special character"
    synonyms:
    distinctive, distinct, individual, particular, characteristic, specific, peculiar, idiosyncratic More"our town's special character"
    designed or organized for a particular person, purpose, or occasion.
    "we will return by special coaches"
    synonyms:
    specific, particular, purpose-built, tailor-made, custom-built, custom-made More

...(And) Try to Understand that THAT, IS:  The Far Higher perception, understanding, & regard, Towards the Recognition/Mindset/Act of:  TRUE Equal Footing.

Non-Non-Non-Non-Non-Non-Non...

Doing so will IN-herently, make something=Too "Special".  When this occurs, there is "Special" Regard, Recognition, & Treatment in this World...bad AND good-  Neither of which, is a "good" thing, period.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to LazarusintheSanatorium's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Z~

You're not "getting it."  Please re-read my OP...  To really & TRULLY begin to view ANY person (or thing) as "Equal", One MUST progress to the mindset & act & perception & understanding, To View, Regard, Speak about & Conceive said person/thing, within:  Total NON-Specialness.  Equality of race, religion, gender, sexual preference, nationality, other animates, MUST be regarded & perceived through:  ...well, scr#w it, here's the synonyms for "Special", you could place the notion of "Historical Importance" and/or "Everyday Regard" within the same notion/mindset. 

...Place the term "Non" preceding each & every single 1 of these terms, and...

spe·cial
    ˈspeSHəl/
    adjective
    adjective: special
    better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual.
    "they always made a special effort at Christmas"
    synonyms:
    momentous, significant, memorable, signal, important, historic, festive, gala, red-letter
    "a special occasion"

exceptionally good or precious.
    "she's a very special person"
    synonyms:
    belonging specifically to a particular person or place.
    "we want to preserve our town's special character"
    synonyms:
    distinctive, distinct, individual, particular, characteristic, specific, peculiar, idiosyncratic More"our town's special character"
    designed or organized for a particular person, purpose, or occasion.
    "we will return by special coaches"
    synonyms:
    specific, particular, purpose-built, tailor-made, custom-built, custom-made More

...(And) Try to Understand that THAT, IS:  The Far Higher perception, understanding, & regard, Towards the Recognition/Mindset/Act of:  TRUE Equal Footing.

Non-Non-Non-Non-Non-Non-Non...

Doing so will IN-herently, make something=Too "Special".  When this occurs, there is "Special" Regard, Recognition, & Treatment in this World...bad AND good-  Neither of which, is a "good" thing, period.

[/QUOTE]

That's a lot of window dressing - Meriam-Webster and all just for me. 

Again, no one is claiming that Sam is "special." 

The event is special. It is distinct. It is unique. 

Claiming there is not something formally different about this particular draft selection in this year is an outright denial of what is "normal."

Per, special, exceptional, [et al] treatment outside of coverage of an "event," the only "exceptional" or "special" cultural treatment that I might notice is the over-representation of straight-white people in culture writ large. 

What you are asking for is silence about something that is, in fact, exceptional and special. Sam might just be another guy, but the first (ever) openly gay American football athlete being officially hired even though he is openly gay (in a state where people can LEGALLY be fired for being homosexual at that) is quite special.

It's historic. It deserves more than a second. It's not "just another selection."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Didn't see it, but think it's pretty cool that the NFL is trying to be socially progressive.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Claiming there is not something formally different about this particular draft selection in this year is an outright denial of what is "normal.""

Fine, whatever.  You convinced me.  I'm not the 1 making the distinction.  Here on out, When gay people are a part of something, It makes that something "different".   ...And here on out, I'm accrediting "Normal" to "straight white people" Events- If a Black woman or Brown-skinned Muslum shows up, I'm viewin' the event as "different", maybe "historically significant" even.  I'll have to be sure to turn my head, and gazeeee intently at the abnormal oddity.  ...Ya know, out of deliberately & overly-curious decent impressiveness at such a landmark.  I'll alter my speech & reactiveness accordingly-  Either hush-edly proud head-nodding thrown their way, or perhaps lambastic catapults of "hoorays-hoorays."  I'll make it a topic of discussion within my smaller circle...deliberately extra loud in decency, quietly softened beit glowingly impressive in undertones, ehh I haven't decided yet.  

Point is, I'll react & Differently And make it a Big Deal & differently...because I care, but in an good way.  You win. 

...Or just maybe I'll honestly & sincerely & acceptingly Care so much about the full breadth of the utterly & completely non-different...that I've accepted EVERY-thing in equal regards, so much so...that my full inner & outer scope won't miss a single beat.  ...and then I'll just hope that won't be perceived as a "bad thing" (but probably not...'cause I hate neurosises).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Brady2Welker47

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

But why focus on that? Is the nfl now the morality and PC Gestapo? Why do they care? They are a professional football organization not the ACLU or lgbt or whatever.

you are correct. No one woud say a thing because it is the norm. If they are trying to shift the norm, then showing this makes sense. Still, why do they feel the need to? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

This thread is great because it shows the homophobes.  The best part is, they don't know they are homophobes.

Clearly, a minority homosexual NCAA prospect who is the first ever to have the balls to come forward and be a real, strong person, being true to himself is a historical step forward like Jackie Robinson or even Willie O'Ree who faced discrimination with the first black person in the NHL.

Anyone overreacting to this is clearly a homophobe.