Why did ESPN have to shove personal Sam moment down our throats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mediumsizednuts. Show Mediumsizednuts's posts

Re: Why did ESPN have to shove personal Sam moment down our throats?

In response to mellymel3's comment:

In this day and age why does anyone care? Really now! LOL.

Be confident in your own sexuality and relax...THE GAYS won't sneak up behind you and savage your bums while you aren't looking... Well I hope so. As my grandma use to say, good things come in small packages, our your mouth.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Excellent post by Agill ... it takes a big person to admit their discomfort is their issue and not someone else's.

Per points of view, the point of view that gay people, or anyone really, shouldn't be on TV is bigotry. You are entitled to be a bigot, but others are entitled to call a spade a spade. A non bigoted person might not care, they might think its cool, they might cheer for it, but they'd never want to bar someone from TV based on the fact that they might (shock and horror) kiss their significant other. Back when Star Trek had Kirk and Uhura kiss, there were tons of people who thought Roddenberry was shoving it in their face. Its childish. Other people going about their life and ESPN covering a Very newsw event is not shoving it in your face any more than ESPN's 500 cuts to AJ McCarron kissing whatsherface is McCarron shoving his heterosexuality in your face or ESPN doing the same.

Per "1st Amendment nonsense": The fact is, and this is fact, ESPN showing a gay person on TV in no way infringes on someone‘s right to free speech. Unless you are really soft in the head and completely misunderstand how the first amendment works, you'd know this. You are not guaranteed the right to not see something, or to silence soneone else. Just change the channel if you are so bothered by it. And to be clear YOU aren't being silenced when you change that channel: on the contrary if you had your wish you would be violating ESPN‘s right to speech and Sam's. Negating someone else's 1st amendment rights is not a 1st amendment right. You are otherwise freely able to go complain about it (which many are doing here now), but removing Sam from TV is not a point of view, its an action based on a point of view. You arent entitled to that in the same way you aren't entitled to make black neighbors to move away because you don't want to see them. Case in point, you may not want to hear me call you a bigot, but you cannot stop me from saying it. Respond how you want but MY expression doesn't limit yours. Neither does Sam's, nor does ESPN's.

Per "showing the kiss", please, AJ McCarron, ring a bell? Forget the other 1000 times ESPN has played affection into celebration, this guy aline has been on the network kissing his GF for 100x the air Sam‘s moment had. You just overlook tgat, or perhaps dont nitice it, because you don‘t want to? 

Per the question of draft status, Id say it was likely he was drafted where he otherwise might have been. Perhaps he was drafted a bit lower, based on teams not wanting the media attention, or not wanting to upset a homophobic lockerroom. If he hadn't been drafted  I'd have been incredibly suspicious .... in the history of the SEC DPOY award, every single one has been drafted in the 5th or higher and Sam is no worse than half of those prospects. istory 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

This was embarrassing, maybe McCarron should have reined it in knowing the coverage that would be there. At any rate, I'm not bigoted or anything, but I don't know how I feel about ESPN covering AJ's kiss, or AJ kissing. Its kind of throwing it in my face. Other points of view should be allowed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

This was embarrassing, maybe McCarron should have reined it in knowing the coverage that would be there. At any rate, Im not bigoted or anything, but I don't know how I feel aboutESPN covering AJ's kiss, or AJ kissing. Its kind of throwing it in my face. Other points of view should be allowed.

Did ESPN show McCarron and his girl kissing hundreds of times like they showed Sam and his boyfriend kissing?  Probably not.  I wonder why?  Had they done so people I'm sure people would be asking why they did show it so many times, and I'm sure there would be plenty of criticism had they shown it as many times as Sam and his BF.

Just curious, since I didn't see McCarron and his girlfriend kiss when he was drafted did they also do the wedding cake smash?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

Too bad you only get one channel or no remote.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

They shoved it because that's the media's agenda.

For myself, I don't care. Let him kiss whoever he wants. But it is a sign that the end is very near.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Side note: Katherine Webb is a babe

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I wouldn't have been surprised if he was never drafted, the coach said something like let's go get him,I think the nfl coludedyos to get him drafted. He is a 24 yo rookie , who had played against 18. -21. Yos, has no position in the nfl, who completely bombed at the combine.

in all of this thread , I didn't see one person who didn't think Sam shouldn't be able to play in the nfl , many couldn't care less. I don't care if he does or doesn't. And he isn't playing for the pats

the nfl station did not come close to over playing the story, but they did mention it ,ESPN  is part of the agenda driven media and they meant to drive this story. i detest all the talking heads who need to show how superior they are. We just had the nba playoff games, the nfl draft, and I heard more about Sam and sterling, by a long shot than sports, it's their business, I just turn it off

The thing that makes me pause tho, is that people are forced to accept something they don't like. and as that ultra conservative BillMaher says, there is a gay mafia. And I don't like that form of fascism either.

all IMO

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Good god, the unwarranted persecution complexes here .... it's palpable. No one broke your favorite toy people, change the channel, lol. No one is forcing you to watch. And no "mafia" is violating your "rights." Stash the tin-foil hats at home. 

Haha. I'm going to go ahead and guess anyone questioning this actually didn't watch ANY SEC bowl coverage ever (go figure, someone making comments on BDC without any knowledge whatsoever of what they are talking about).  McCarron and his GF were part of the coverage montage-loop of the celebration after the last Bowl win, and their kisses are a typical thing ESPN covered every single game. Let's put that into perspective: the image of AJ/GF after ND ran about 1000 or more times in the days following Bama's last win, in addition to the multiple times each week she was at a game.

Watch some SEC football coverage before you "guess" that ESPN didn't run the image a lot ... it's even a running gag among opponent fans that you have to sit through them slobbering on each other. 

So yes the kiss(es) were played *more* than Sam's kiss. A lot more. Their kissing, as a matter of fact, was portrayed so much after Crimson Tide wins that the image was picked up by a #activism movement #kissforpeace. Then it was broadcast all over America out of any football context in Times Square, then ESPN covered the coverage of it's coverage of the AJ's celebratory kisses when they covered #Kissforpeace in Times Square. 

Here is AJ McCarron, his GF, and the "agenda driven media" broadcasting in Times Square. >

The comments here about saturation/media are ludicrous.

When you have this level of exposure for McCarron (and a bunch of other athletes, good lord, ESPN was broadcasting Bortle's GF's private text to Bortle's where she is in a bikini wishing him luck, as if it had anything to do with the draft, and the list goes on) the threshold is pretty high. 

v Look below: ESPN would, essentially, have to project Sam's moment onto the surface of the moon for a full 48 hour news cycle before you could call it "over the top" in comparison to how they repeatedly portray heterosexual kisses.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

Here is AJ McCarron, his GF, and the "agenda driven media" broadcasting in Times Square. >

Isn't that part of the AXE Kiss for Peace campaign where they show lots of different people kissing on the big sign in time square?  I Don't believe that has anything to do with ESPN.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Zbellino

you obviously cannot read too well ,

or get that there is a MSM double standard when the MSM has an agenda and it isnt equal - Thats how we got the Mozilla CEO and founder out of a job, even though it was the exact same position as Ohole - and the people you obviously worship. And if you dont believe that there is one - fine also- but the media / Gay mafia is trying to hide the Hollywood gay attacks on young models. Nothing to do with Sam and I sont need to hear holier than thou aholes preen.

btw Cowherd said thay ran the Sam story every 20 minutes, and then the whatever

But if you want to watch it - go ahead couldnt care less - for me  I had a gay HSer try and grab me when i was 11 and it is something i dont need to see over and over.

good luck with your life
    Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

For myself, I don't care. Let him kiss whoever he wants. But it is a sign that the end is very near.

LOL! Yup, humanity is near the end because a small percentage of it isn't "wired" the way you are, or how you expect everyone should be.

Seriously, you homophobes should get out more. Go make some gay friends.  It's okay, they won't hurt you. They won't threaten your heterosexuality. You'll find they're human too, and they're looking for the same thing in life most people are looking for - someone to share a life with and someone to respect them for their choices.

My wife and I have gay friends/acquaintances. Our kids have gay friends/acquaintances. We don't fear for our lives by dining and visiting in the gay sections of Chicago, San Francisco, New Orleans or New York.  

Really. There is a lot of stuff in this world that's more in need of attention than worrying about two men or two women being in love with other.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to sml1210's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

LOL! Yup, humanity is near the end because a small percentage of it isn't "wired" the way you are, or how you expect everyone should be.

Seriously, you homophobes should get out more. Go make some gay friends.  It's okay, they won't hurt you. They won't threaten your heterosexuality. You'll find they're human too, and they're looking for the same thing in life most people are looking for - someone to share a life with and someone to respect them for their choices.

My wife and I have gay friends/acquaintances. Our kids have gay friends/acquaintances. We don't fear for our lives by dining and visiting in the gay sections of Chicago, San Francisco, New Orleans or New York.  

Really. There is a lot of stuff in this world that's more in need of attention than worrying about two men or two women being in love with other.

Is English a second language for you?

I just said I didn't care who he kissed. That's your idea of fearing gays?

My niece had a sex change. I have a gay sister. I'm far from out of contact with that community. 

If you want to debate the validity of an impending Armageddon, that's one thing. But don't try to be deceptive and portray that into some hateful vendetta against gays on my part.

If gays want to be gay, go be gay, gays.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Kissing Cousins were playing each other on the World Series Of Poker.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The first kiss didn't bother me...

Eating cake off your spouse bothered me because overt public PDA's are tacky and in some cases lewd.  Doesn't matter if it's guys, girls or in between.  There was probably no reason to flash back to the cake scene, when I see a hetro couple french kissing in public, slathering tongues all over each other I am equally grossed out.  In this case it was probably counter productive to gay rights.

Gay has nothing to do with it...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

Michael Sam just wants to be treated like a regular football player.

But look at all the attention he is getting because he is gay.  I don't hear him saying no to Oprah or any of the other perks because he is gay.

Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Are we STILL talking about this? Really?   REALLY?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Agreed, I won't talk about this anymore for the same reason I wouldn't talk Tim Tebow, he isn't good enough to warrant talk on a football forum.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

the camera guy won't let this go.  I think this is pretty personal to him.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:

the camera guy won't let this go.  I think this is pretty personal to him.

The fans here wont let this go. Talk about obsessing. Is this Maury Povich or something?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to Brady2Welker47's comment:

Why couldn't they just focus on the player, his ability, game film and collegiate accomplishments? I could care less about his personal srxual preference! But ESPN chose to make it about that instead of Sam the player...

[/QUOTE]

Why are you so surprised? It's the media pushing an agenda. Dare to complain about it, and you're branded as a racist homophobe.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[object HTMLDivElement]

Only disturbed individuals come into threads and complain about what other persons choose to discuss.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

We haven't even begun to equal the infamous Dungy thread.  This thread won't be done until we've debated abortion, Ghandi, the meaning of life, politicians, the Illuminati, and finally back to gays.  Just saying...

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:

I didn't see the kiss until yesterday.  But I heard about it.  People went on and on to the point where I was sure these guys were making out and tearing one anothers clothes off on TV.  I was repulsed and outraged before I even saw what happened.  Then I saw the kiss.  Jeez people, way to over react.  I've seen longer more passionate kisses on draft day between some mothers and sons. 

While admittedly, the sight of two men actually making out repulses me to a degree, I have to wonder if that's just because my wiring doesn't allow for an attraction there, or if it's because I've been socially conditioned to not accept such things.  I'm guessing it's mostly of the former, because I was raised in a very accepting family and even have some gay friends and aquaintances. 

As for what all the hubbub is about, it's pretty simple.  This is a first, and homosexuals are very much enjoying a much needed and overdue coming out party at this point in time.  Imagine being born a certain way, and being ostracised and even killed because of it.  This has been going on for a couple thousand years now.  The only difference between their plight and the plight of many ethnic races is that they can often hide in plain sight, and be forced to pretend to be something they aren't in order to survive. 

So while I may feel some aversion, I realize that's my own silly BS that I need to get over, and I would NEVER say or do anything to take away from the joy and happiness they, like the rest of us, strive for, need and deserve.  For they are fellow human beings, and like all of us, should only be judged by the content of their characters, not for how they were born or for any choices they may make with like minded consensual adults. 

ag,

+1 on this post.

though no human is born with an aversion or disgust of affection (your parents may not have given it to you, but there is a whole society out there including the most brainwashing apparatus that has ever been created by humans). . that is conditioned. like most things that aren't love.    cheers

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

To comment on and clarify a number of things...

Sam and his boyfriend/significant other had a standard kiss, for lack of a better term. It wasn't a peck on the cheek, nor was it a PG-13 makeout session. It was a regular kiss, much like you'd see any other couple do. There was nothing inappropriate or obscene about the moment.

Furthermore, I have seen Johnny Manziel and plenty of other prospects have their draft "moment" replayed. To say Sam was the only player who I saw lock-lips on more than one occasion would be inaccurate. I saw plenty of other draftees smooch more than once. 

Lastly, I'm sure there were plenty of outraged individuals when an interracial couple was first televised showing affection for one another. In fact, at the time, the majority of the population likely was opposed to it. This situation is no different.

Let's go Pats!

indeed, what it violates is the dominant laid down order of the day, which is heterosexual supremacy. violators of any institutionally laid down order by the rulers of a society receive scorn and punishment. those that do punish, were taught to sanction such behavior from birth (sanction or punish the non-dominant persons or behavior). 

Sections
Shortcuts