Why did ESPN have to shove personal Sam moment down our throats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Re: Why did ESPN have to shove personal Sam moment down our throats?

So two dudes were kissing, then shoving cake in each others faces on national TV... who fackin cares?  If you have a problem with it, it says more about you than them... they're the secure ones.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to LazarusintheSanatorium's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Claiming there is not something formally different about this particular draft selection in this year is an outright denial of what is "normal.""

Fine, whatever.  You convinced me.  I'm not the 1 making the distinction.  Here on out, When gay people are a part of something, It makes that something "different".   ...And here on out, I'm accrediting "Normal" to "straight white people" Events- If a Black woman or Brown-skinned Muslum shows up, I'm viewin' the event as "different", maybe "historically significant" even.  I'll have to be sure to turn my head, and gazeeee intently at the abnormal oddity.  ...Ya know, out of deliberately & overly-curious decent impressiveness at such a landmark.  I'll alter my speech & reactiveness accordingly-  Either hush-edly proud head-nodding thrown their way, or perhaps lambastic catapults of "hoorays-hoorays."  I'll make it a topic of discussion within my smaller circle...deliberately extra loud in decency, quietly softened beit glowingly impressive in undertones, ehh I haven't decided yet.  

Point is, I'll react & Differently And make it a Big Deal & differently...because I care, but in an good way.  You win. 

...Or just maybe I'll honestly & sincerely & acceptingly Care so much about the full breadth of the utterly & completely non-different...that I've accepted EVERY-thing in equal regards, so much so...that my full inner & outer scope won't miss a single beat.  ...and then I'll just hope that won't be perceived as a "bad thing" (but probably not...'cause I hate neurosises).

[/QUOTE]

Patently absurd response. So much so that I can't believe you'd even compose it.  

A black person walking into a room is commonplace.

But the very first time an openly gay player is hired in a professional sport is exceptional. That is to say, he is the ONLY one right now, and the first in a big 4 sport. That is special, it deserves coverage. 

A gay person eating lunch isn't exceptional, so don't ooh and aah.

A Muslim being elected to federal office, for instance, might be. It, you know, kind of makes a story people might be interested in, especially to people who are Muslim, or Gay, or any other non-dominant class who've been denied a right, or representation. 

Treating it as something unexceptional only demonstrates privilege (i.e., you've never been denied representation because of some class characteristic). The aggravated attempt to enforce this "silence" on the moment IS a form of bigotry.  

But no, wait, the "Emancipation Proclamation," just another day right?  Brown vs Board, ho hum, treat it on the same level as the time I had gum stuck to my shoe, but then won a game of whack-a-mole for the first time correct? The Supreme Court striking down DOMA, one and the same as when they cancelled Mork and Mindy. All of it is just 100% equal. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Brady2Welker47's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brady2Welker47

Showing Sam and his emotional moment with his partner was great...they shared a kiss great...but then they had to go on showing them eating cake out of each others mouth..really??? I would have preferred to see his game film ...all of his accomplishments..not some reality show...

[/QUOTE]

I hope you can realize that Sam isn't the story ... you are. If that were a straight player with his GF no one would say a thing. The reason they are showing it is because (sadly) in 2014 it still gets the "go back in the closet" reaction. 

Once that reaction is gone, it won't be a story anymore. 

[/QUOTE]

But why focus on that? Is the nfl now the morality and PC Gestapo? Why do they care? They are a professional football organization not the ACLU or lgbt or whatever.

you are correct. No one woud say a thing because it is the norm. If they are trying to shift the norm, then showing this makes sense. Still, why do they feel the need to? 

[/QUOTE]

First of all, it's not the NFL. It's ESPN and the NFL network. They want ratings. They want to cover stories that are noteworthy so that they get ratings. It's not a pro-gay conspiracy. The majority of America is interested in this. 

Throwing a hissy over it just shows how absolutely entitled and spoiled a lot of white, heterosexual men are about representation. A million video hours of straight athletes kissing their GFs or wives, another 10 million in commercials that represent heterosexual relations in one way or another. 

Cry, cry, cry about the time that big bad ESPN and NFLnet devoted an extra few minutes of coverage to (ho-hum) the very first openly gay football player. 

Give me a break. 

Why do you care? Was a few minutes of air time devoted to something landmark really that bad? You had a couple hundred seconds of your otherwise entirely heterosexual life imposed upon, and that is the end of the world? 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This thread is great because it shows the homophobes.  The best part is, they don't know they are homophobes.

Clearly, a minority homosexual NCAA prospect who is the first ever to have the balls to come forward and be a real, strong person, being true to himself is a historical step forward like Jackie Robinson or even Willie O'Ree who faced discrimination with the first black person in the NHL.

Anyone overreacting to this is clearly a homophobe.

[/QUOTE]

It's a passive-aggressive way of "silencing" the under-represented. Don't let them have their minute, not even that one minute, just brush it under the rug like nothing happened. But don't openly announce that you are a bigot. Just hide behind some vapid lip service to "equality" and "special treatment," and how celebrating (or even merely publicizing) a civil rights milestone for a minute or two is somehow "bad" or "discriminates against hetero-normativity.

Yet, in 29 states you can be fired for being gay.

In 32 gay people can't get married. 

In 24 states they cannot adopt children. 

It's not equal. 

There has never been a single openly gay big-4 athlete. 

But hey, let's not treat this as something special. We are all "equal."

Right. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

So two dudes were kissing, then shoving cake in each others faces on national TV... who fackin cares?  If you have a problem with it, it says more about you than them... they're the secure ones.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. ESPN ins't making an issue of it. They are covering a story.

People on this forum and elsewhere are turning that (very logical) coverage into an issue by complaining about it. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

I almost didn't click onto this thread because I fully expected a bunch of trolled -up , knucklehead responses ..

To my great surprise   , the comments here have been mostly intelligent adult interjections .

And...

Zbellino -

Your rebuttals may just be the single best  / most articulate arguments I've read on the subject .

Bravo .

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Treating it as something unexceptional only demonstrates privilege (i.e., you've never been denied representation because of some class characteristic). The aggravated attempt to enforce this "silence" on the moment IS a form of bigotry.  

But no, wait, the "Emancipation Proclamation," just another day right?  Brown vs Board, ho hum, treat it on the same level as the time I had gum stuck to my shoe, but then won a game of whack-a-mole for the first time correct? The Supreme Court striking down DOMA, one and the same as when they cancelled Mork and Mindy. All of it is just 100% equal." 

It's a New Age Z~  2014.  Nothing save for Unordinary Non-differentiated UNCHANGING Regard from Myself, Is:  My Norm...and what I expect the "Norm" to be.  A Non-Highlight of Base Equality...  Freudian, right?  When we change our Everyday Ego by Everyday Role (Are you the same person with your Mom as you are at your Job...the same reactive with a Gay Guy getting in The NFL as with a straight guy, ZERO difference?).  I am.  To make it "Special" makes it Prejudicially different from what One Must Accept The Complete Totally Accepted "Norm" to be from ALL people, FOR All People.  Like I said, I understand that your fight is: There are still some...  In my mind, The higher Ideal is to Accept Nothing less than a "Non-Speciality" in the mindset of A "Non-difference".  ...Because it creates favoritism, and begats displacement.  It forms additionals of differentiated regard, even in the fight for the Positive.  I wish you could see this, I really do...because your heart is there, As is mine, In a VERY Extreme sense.  I'm just trying to view Myself &, and within A world as being Progressed to the point as to be past the differentiated.  IF one is not (as is your fight against that perceived mindset)...It is not just their loss (obviously)...But it is yours as well, Because you are falling prey to flaming the flames of those whom care enough to make it "something that should be regarded as other than what the Absolute Norm <totally unspecially equal regard> should be."  Everyone loses.  People even forwarding said "good fight" ends up seeing that person/the event as something "Extra-Entitled";  Accept Total Equal Footing within your totally undifferentiated Regards.  Special Treatment begats a mindset that ANY-thing less than this outta you and everyone else, Is the Non-Norm.  Sh-#t's treated differently because it's perceived that it still somehow, somewhere is=Do Not Accept that it is...And IF you see in reality that it is, Allow this to be that own person's death.  IF you don't, you'll end up displacing towards what you sense as a good fight, By regarding something and/or someone whom may still be slighted, As Different in your own right.  You will treat them different...and act different, even under the push towards Greater Justness.  But it will also be your loss...  Your change in Ego Personality...your change in fairness towards regard...their change in recognizing pure base uncaringly equal acceptance...your change in terms of what you accept as accountability out of them...their change in what they sense out of their own accountability, outta others and outta themselves. 

My Next fight in this life is:  No difference being Pure No difference...In ALL dogmas from the "Other" as it relates to the "Me"-Personality, Social, Accountability, All Behavior, and the death of any specialized stereotypes amidst this...just-"Equally Non-differentiated"="Equal Fairness"="Equal Trueness".

~I have spent nearly the entirety of my life fighting for nothing less, than uplifting non-Caucasians, non-men, non-straight, & non-Americans & even the non-mankind, Into a Higher realm of regard, recognition, and acceptance by fighting ANY & EVERY whom did not...or quite possibly, even slightly did it lesser...  That fight has been Won far more than in yesteryear...It IS "The Norm".  I still fought...  Wasn't "Total".  ...So I still fought.  And fought.  And in the end, I realize that it has made me lesser.  I regarded and treated the non-majority with Ego differential, less accountability.  I regarded any even slight "haters" still, with displacements & lesseners upon them...me...and many others whom might foot their bill.  It made me & everyone else (good and bad)=Lesser.  Differentiated Regard in ANY way, shape or form (the bad you believe that still may or may not be in "some" + that which you alter towards in terms of balancing the fair playing field within the "good fight"- Leads YOU astray...Offers tendencies to leading those you wanna uplift astray...and It leads those whom you wanna push that may or may not have closed minds-further astray- It offers displacement, Specialized Treatment & Favoritism, Phoniness, frustratives turned to diminishments...And it offers this All over the place, upon every party involved.  Even when the motive of the "fight" is a "Good One."

Like I said, when ya go about your way through the walk & ways of:  Equally Non-differentiated=Equal Fairness=Equal Trueness.  EVERY-one makes it.  Those that don't play ball to that?  =They occupy no piece of your mind...that is their he!! to live, it's o.k.  But it goes both ways...  Pure Decency in a Tough never-changing perception, personality, mindset, and walk.  It leads to recognizing:  The Ideal.  You kill A-lot of bad things.  Stereotypes, Generalizations, displacements, presumptions, pretense, favoritism, fakeness, lesserness, & the philosophical: That is different from...          

...man, just want others to see this is where the fight needs to transcend towards.  For Everyone's sake.

Know that the Bad fall, and make you fall.  It's a never-ending process-The MORE closed minded & prejudicial & polarized, WILL Cast more upon you no matter how hard you try to cast it on back...  They'll take shots and die a little too...You'll take shots and kill/lessen yourself just the same.  Do Not Play their Game...because it never ends.   Accept , Perceive, and Regard NOTHING Less than what I stated in bold.  It's a Utterly Fair, Objective, Non-Diminishing- Very Tough Decency.  Otherwise, the cycle never ends, because everyone self-destructs by casting-Unfortunately, It is the case that the MORE decent, cast less and self-destruct a bit more.  Your choice is often to Accept the casting and do this...or just keep on casting back in the notion of "It's a Good Fight".  It   Never   Ends.  The way it ends is in bold, and it is through the mindset of Accepting NOTHING Less than that-ALL Around...TO ALL From ALL & By ALL=A never swaying, toughened to a very equally-footed, offered & enacted regard & Decency.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

Yeah, just like when the media shoved Jackie Robinson's personal life down everyone's throat. Senseless!

[/QUOTE]

+1

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's not allowed to live his live and show his feelings towards his significant other on national TV?  

[/QUOTE]

+1

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It was nice to have a camera there and catch the emotion he had when getting drafted.  They do that with lots of players, but then they showed it like 10 times over and over on NFL network. If someone is looking to be treated the same as everyone else then do so, treat the moment that way too. 

Another thing that I didn't like was on NFL network they were acting like it was some type of conspiracy between the owners that he wasn't getting picked. Acting like they couldn't believe Sam had not been picked yet, even acted shocked and made a few comments about players who were graded below him were getting picked ahead of him. They were making a big deal about it, it was beginning to look and feel so very fake.

The Rams is a good spot for Sam, I like Jeff Fisher and and I think this is a perfect fit. 

[/QUOTE]

Brady2Welker47

I agree with you TFB St Louis perfect spot for Sam...hope he does well! Great situation for him.

[/QUOTE]

+1

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Didn't see it, but think it's pretty cool that the NFL is trying to be socially progressive.  

[/QUOTE]

+1

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

I for one have no problem with a college player showing emotion when drafted into the NFL. But for ESPN to show two dudes KISSING - c'mon--really awkward and line crossing IMO? I'm not homophobic at all but I dont want to see two guys making out and rubbing each others arms. ESPN crossed the line! Its football not a soap opera.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

^ Never you mind zbellino...I'm startin' to see your point.  We definately still got a ways ta go 8^)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Roger Goodell called Fisher and convinced him to pick Sam with his last pick , probably offered some compensation.  I don't care who Sam prefers to sleep with, he wasn't good enough to be drafted.  Also for those that didn't notice there were video cameras in the room beyond the ESPN cameras, expect a reality show on Logo network any day now.  The NFL saw this as a PR opportunity too good to pass up and the chance to reach a fan base they couldn't tap into otherwise.  The kids career will last 5 minutes...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Roger Goodell called Fisher and convinced him to pick Sam with his last pick , probably offered some compensation.  I don't care who Sam prefers to sleep with, he wasn't good enough to be drafted.  Also for those that didn't notice there were video cameras in the room beyond the ESPN cameras, expect a reality show on Logo network any day now.  The NFL saw this as a PR opportunity too good to pass up and the chance to reach a fan base they couldn't tap into otherwise.  The kids career will last 5 minutes...

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

i agree a lot with this. I think he gets cut. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The truth doesn't make us hate mongers, I also prefer two chicks eating cake off each other, see I can be accepting...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

[QUOTE]

The truth doesn't make us hate mongers, I also prefer two chicks eating cake off each other, see I can be accepting...

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

ha ha. I was going to mention something like that but people here are touchy.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Lol'ing...wozzy- (sigh), Man I'm doin' my best to EQUALLY & in every way, Wish to At Any & Every 1 time: Sincerely want to see both (at any & every given time).  And cr#p man, unlike some other people, I'm crazy enough to actually MEAN this!  But dang man, just-dang- Some't'in' keeps on pushing me to click on "FFM" over "MMF".  Does it help me, to actually be guilted by this?  Shoot.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

[QUOTE]

This thread is great because it shows the homophobes.  The best part is, they don't know they are homophobes.

Clearly, a minority homosexual NCAA prospect who is the first ever to have the balls to come forward and be a real, strong person, being true to himself is a historical step forward like Jackie Robinson or even Willie O'Ree who faced discrimination with the first black person in the NHL.

[/QUOTE]

There RUSTY aka DOUG IRWIN aka T goes again calling people names who disagree with him. The T should be banned for LIFE!!!!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

bS Russ. It's easy to call folks homophobes or racists when they don't agree with the pushed opinion. It's a tactic used to marginalize differing points of view and actually quite simpleton. The US is made up of many different opinions, people, etc..some share your ides, others don't. Doesn't make the others homophobes by expressing their 1st amendment right.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Brady2Welker47

Showing Sam and his emotional moment with his partner was great...they shared a kiss great...but then they had to go on showing them eating cake out of each others mouth..really??? I would have preferred to see his game film ...all of his accomplishments..not some reality show...

[/QUOTE]

I hope you can realize that Sam isn't the story ... you are. If that were a straight player with his GF no one would say a thing. The reason they are showing it is because (sadly) in 2014 it still gets the "go back in the closet" reaction. 

Once that reaction is gone, it won't be a story anymore. 

[/QUOTE]

But why focus on that? Is the nfl now the morality and PC Gestapo? Why do they care? They are a professional football organization not the ACLU or lgbt or whatever.

you are correct. No one woud say a thing because it is the norm. If they are trying to shift the norm, then showing this makes sense. Still, why do they feel the need to? 

[/QUOTE]

First of all, it's not the NFL. It's ESPN and the NFL network. They want ratings. They want to cover stories that are noteworthy so that they get ratings. It's not a pro-gay conspiracy. The majority of America is interested in this. 

Throwing a hissy over it just shows how absolutely entitled and spoiled a lot of white, heterosexual men are about representation. A million video hours of straight athletes kissing their GFs or wives, another 10 million in commercials that represent heterosexual relations in one way or another. 

Cry, cry, cry about the time that big bad ESPN and NFLnet devoted an extra few minutes of coverage to (ho-hum) the very first openly gay football player. 

Give me a break. 

Why do you care? Was a few minutes of air time devoted to something landmark really that bad? You had a couple hundred seconds of your otherwise entirely heterosexual life imposed upon, and that is the end of the world? 

[/QUOTE]

Not at all. Personally it doesn't bother me at all. I celebrate all walks of life, I was just curious as to why it was pushed the way it was. If you think because its newsworthy, so be it. I tend to think its part of a broader agenda. Different opinions and voicing them is what makes this country great. Not all falling in line to accept whatever is thrown at us.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

ESPN is owned by Disney. Disney has long ignored the rantings of the US Christian Taliban.

Had I seen it I wouldn't have been bothered but since I have a life I don't watch the draft anyway.
    Evil's work computer name ( don't tell the boss )

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I have a great off color comment but I'll refrain since passions are so high and I don't want it taken as anything other then a joke to make people laugh.  Carry on.

Sections
Shortcuts