Why did ESPN have to shove personal Sam moment down our throats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Re: Why did ESPN have to shove personal Sam moment down our throats?

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have a great off color comment but I'll refrain since passions are so high and I don't want it taken as anything other then a joke to make people laugh.  Carry on.

[/QUOTE]

please say it

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have a great off color comment but I'll refrain since passions are so high and I don't want it taken as anything other then a joke to make people laugh.  Carry on.

[/QUOTE]

please say it

[/QUOTE]

I have an idea what it is and laughed! I wanted to make one too but people seem to have trouble taking sarcasm and jokes these days.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Welker47. Show Brady2Welker47's posts

Brady2Welker47

The whole point behind this is being people accepting of everyone...say it...

We are all entitled to feeling how we do...blue purple straight crooked bent ...say it pal

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Because this issue has become political like everything else in this country lately.

ESPN's just doing what they do as will every other TV station and sports program.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

My observation

I thought the coverage of Sam being drafted was gay.

I am already sick of this garbage. ESPN showed footage of a gay bar celebrating Sam getting drafted. Really? There is nothing like trying to make something fully socially accepted like turning it into a circus.

ESPN really milked the story at the end to keep viewers watching to see if Sam really made a NFL team.

It was funny enough that Sam was drafted by the RAMS.

But it would've been great if he was drafted by the PACKERS. I think the internet would have blown up.

I am really disappointed the Redskins didn't draft Michael Sam. Seriously, the overly-sensitive PC crowd's collective heads would have exploded not knowing what to do or how to react.

It would've been even better if he was drafted last as "Mr. Irrelevant".

He won't make the team unless they are afraid to cut him. In that case, he will be a special teamer. To small for DE, to slow for LB. His measurables were low and to top it off the punter out lifted him.

Did ESPN show a Klan Rally when Reily Cooper got drafted?

I see it now; His BF will be full of questions when he gets home from practice. "How many showers did you take", "How many guys did you peek at"

At the sporting good store last night I noticed they moved all the pink polo shirts to the NFL team apparel section.

I don't have anything against gays BTW

How many of you mouth breathers are going to bash me over this post?

Back in '82, I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile.

How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to PatsLifer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Brady2Welker47's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Brady2Welker47

Showing Sam and his emotional moment with his partner was great...they shared a kiss great...but then they had to go on showing them eating cake out of each others mouth..really??? I would have preferred to see his game film ...all of his accomplishments..not some reality show...

[/QUOTE]

I hope you can realize that Sam isn't the story ... you are. If that were a straight player with his GF no one would say a thing. The reason they are showing it is because (sadly) in 2014 it still gets the "go back in the closet" reaction. 

Once that reaction is gone, it won't be a story anymore. 

[/QUOTE]

But why focus on that? Is the nfl now the morality and PC Gestapo? Why do they care? They are a professional football organization not the ACLU or lgbt or whatever.

you are correct. No one woud say a thing because it is the norm. If they are trying to shift the norm, then showing this makes sense. Still, why do they feel the need to? 

[/QUOTE]

First of all, it's not the NFL. It's ESPN and the NFL network. They want ratings. They want to cover stories that are noteworthy so that they get ratings. It's not a pro-gay conspiracy. The majority of America is interested in this. 

Throwing a hissy over it just shows how absolutely entitled and spoiled a lot of white, heterosexual men are about representation. A million video hours of straight athletes kissing their GFs or wives, another 10 million in commercials that represent heterosexual relations in one way or another. 

Cry, cry, cry about the time that big bad ESPN and NFLnet devoted an extra few minutes of coverage to (ho-hum) the very first openly gay football player. 

Give me a break. 

Why do you care? Was a few minutes of air time devoted to something landmark really that bad? You had a couple hundred seconds of your otherwise entirely heterosexual life imposed upon, and that is the end of the world? 

[/QUOTE]

Not at all. Personally it doesn't bother me at all. I celebrate all walks of life, I was just curious as to why it was pushed the way it was. If you think because its newsworthy, so be it. I tend to think its part of a broader agenda. Different opinions and voicing them is what makes this country great. Not all falling in line to accept whatever is thrown at us.

[/QUOTE]

You think homosexuals being themselves and living their life as they feel to be normal and free, is "throwing things at you"?

Do you feel the same way about ethnic minority groups, too?

You can't be a bigot, Lifey, and "celebrate all walks of life".

Clearly, what Sam did as a trailblazer for other amateur athletes, is historically significant.  It's a definite story and it's a shame it has to be one in 2014, but it's bigots like you that make it such.

Good day.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I think the network does what networks do - they like to sensationalize in order to gin up ratings. SO they showed a clip multiple times with that in mind. The fact of what they were showing is no big deal. The fact we are only just growing up as a culture enough to deal with equality of many kinds is a good thing. But we will have some growing pains.

If you don't get some of this get Cliven Bundy's number and give him a call and he will clarify everything.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

The Rams are not a good spot for Sam. They have better players at his position than he is capable of, and he does not project for ST.

I give him a long shot to make that talented defense

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cousteau. Show cousteau's posts

In response to Bradysgirlforreal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I for one have no problem with a college player showing emotion when drafted into the NFL. But for ESPN to show two dudes KISSING - c'mon--really awkward and line crossing IMO? I'm not homophobic at all but I dont want to see two guys making out and rubbing each others arms. ESPN crossed the line! Its football not a soap opera.

[/QUOTE]

Then they should not show a guy and girl kissing. It's football not a soap opera

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well . . .   I guess we all knew this was going to be the "story" about this kid and that may or may not be unfortunate depending upon your perspective. Personally, I could care less where this guy -- or you . . .  or anybody -- chooses to stick their tongue (or . . .   you know . . .  whatever), but whenever this subject comes up we are reminded that it is not enough to simply accept alternative lifestyles (if, of course, they're the appropriate, media-approved alternative lifestyles), we must "celebrate" them.

Of course again, this flies right in the face of the "tolerance" peoples' contention that "it shouldn't matter." It shouldn't, but what they really mean is that it should matter a great deal and if you don't agree with that, then you're some kind of "phobe."

Rational, objective people could and can see a media  circus coming around this guy, and quite rightly might want no part of said media circus, but if you subscribe to the "distraction" take, you will be accused of using "code language" (another one of my new favorite things) or worse. I'm not really all that amazed that most people don't see the irony in what the "tolerance" crowd preaches . . .  but then again, I've probably been on the planet too long (which is "code" for "I've met people and I know what they're really like.")

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Too much publicity for a 7th rounder. The Football Player. Wish he was Drafted last and made this Irrelevant.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Had no problem with ESPN showing his reaction to being drafted.  Did they over replay it?  Sure.  But that's because it was a big moment in NFL history.  He's the first openly gay football player.  And we all know ESPN overdoes their sensationalism.  So I'm not surprised at the million replays of it.  But it's a huge moment in NFL history.  He wasn't some random guy getting drafted in the 7th round.  He's an openly homosexual man and the first one to be open about it.  That's historical.  I've seen comments on PFT.com and ESPN articles saying "Never seen a 7th rounder get this much press."  "If he wasn't gay, he wouldn't get this kind of coverage."  Well no crap he wouldn't.  No one cares if a straight player gets drafted in the 7th unless by some slim margin he slipped from a first round prospect all the way to the 7th. A 7th round draft pick will get noticeably more coverage if there is something unique about his story.  In Michael Sam's case, it's because he's the first openly gay football player.  It's a big moment in sports history whether you like it or not.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

OK its a beautiful thing, everybody knows. Now move on. If he gets 8+ sacks in next 5 years I'll be ticked off the Pats didn't sign him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well . . .   I guess we all knew this was going to be the "story" about this kid and that may or may not be unfortunate depending upon your perspective. Personally, I could care less where this guy -- or you . . .  or anybody -- chooses to stick their tongue (or . . .   you know . . .  whatever), but whenever this subject comes up we are reminded that it is not enough to simply accept alternative lifestyles (if, of course, they're the appropriate, media-approved alternative lifestyles), we must "celebrate" them.

Of course again, this flies right in the face of the "tolerance" peoples' contention that "it shouldn't matter." It shouldn't, but what they really mean is that it should matter a great deal and if you don't agree with that, then you're some kind of "phobe."

Rational, objective people could and can see a media  circus coming around this guy, and quite rightly might want no part of said media circus, but if you subscribe to the "distraction" take, you will be accused of using "code language" (another one of my new favorite things) or worse. I'm not really all that amazed that most people don't see the irony in what the "tolerance" crowd preaches . . .  but then again, I've probably been on the planet too long (which is "code" for "I've met people and I know what they're really like.."

[/QUOTE]

^^ this ^^

To quote Dennis Miller, I have nothing against gay people but I need a GAYcation.  This is not equivalent to the civil rights movement of blacks in America.  There's a whole lotta over-the-top comparisons being made these days.  Comparing the plight of gays to blacks is one of them.  I'm tired of hearing about gays everywhere I look.  You nailed it.  We can't just tolerate it, we must celebrate it.  I'm beginning to think being gay is now considered a "preferred" lifestyle.  That's how the left and right work nowadays.  They pick a few issues they want to see movement on and then just beat you to death with it until you end up hating them.  Some in society decide to take a different view on an issue and they expect everyone else to turn on a dime or else.  None of us on this board will live to see the day that two men kissing is viewed as equal to a man and woman kissing, if for no other reason than a large swath of society believes it's wrong, a sin, immoral, a wrongly-wired brain, and so on.  That number is decreasing, but it's still large.

Bear with me for a little story on human behavior, and how us humans work.  We eat meat.  A dog is an animal much like any other animal except we happen to keep them pets.  In some countries they eat dogs.  So what if I decided to cater to the large number of Asians in my community by opening a dog farm that breeds and slaughters dogs for consumption.  I'll even have a neat little restaurant/grill onsite.  To appease those who will try to claim dogs are different than other animals we eat, I'll only breed the dumbest breeds of dogs.  You cannot logically tell me that what I would be doing is any more wrong than what a pig farmer does, but I'd still face prosecution, protests, and bodily harm.  A large number of Americans would just find it wrong despite not having a shred of logic to back it up.  Now imagine after a while it gets accepted in my local community.  They realize that my dog farm and grill has not effected their lives at all.  In fact, they start a political ideology and commence a campaign to beat America to death until every last living American also supports eating dogs.  They promote it often and everywhere.  You just can't stop hearing about why we should all turn on a dime and support eating dog meat.  They are puzzled that anyone can still think eating dog meat is improper.  They changed their minds, and can't understand why one or two hundred million other Americans didn't change their minds when they did.

Moral to the story....society doesn't turn on a dime.  It's a very slow and gradual turn.  Some knucklehead will say that if we took this approach black people would still be slaves.  Two entirely different issues.  Gays were not enslaved, skinned, lynched, denied a vote, told to sit in the back of the bus, told to drink from a separate water fountain, and so on.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This thread is great because it shows the homophobes.  The best part is, they don't know they are homophobes.

Clearly, a minority homosexual NCAA prospect who is the first ever to have the balls to come forward and be a real, strong person, being true to himself is a historical step forward like Jackie Robinson or even Willie O'Ree who faced discrimination with the first black person in the NHL.

Anyone overreacting to this is clearly a homophobe.

[/QUOTE]

And anyone who might disagree with you in any way is clealy a homophobe, a racist, a sexist, or some other slur liberals use to force people to think and talk as they do.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to glenr's comment:
    [QUOTE]

ESPN is owned by Disney. Disney has long ignored the rantings of the US Christian Taliban.

Had I seen it I wouldn't have been bothered but since I have a life I don't watch the draft anyway.
    Evil's work computer name ( don't tell the boss )

[/QUOTE]

And the Progressives are the saints, but Christians are the Taliban.

How appropriately liberal name-calling of you.

When you were slamming Tim Tebow for the horrible crime of having faith, but you are defending Sam like he's a martyr, have you been able to continue calling yourself "tolerant" with a straight face?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Not at all, TFB. Mayock went out of his way to say that he doesn't want the idea that had Sam gone undrafted, that it had anything at all to do with his sexuality. Mayock painted a rather clear picture explaining why Sam fell in the draft. It had to do with his athletic ability (or lack thereof) showcased during his combine. The rest of the panel fell in line, but did acknowledged that if Sam had gone undrafted that chatter (that he went undrafted due to his sexual preference) would begin.

[/QUOTE]

The problem is that the Sam story went beyond football aficionados.  Non-football fans were aware of his status as potentially the first openly gay NFL draftee, and also that he had won SEC defensive player of the year, and it sounds like he's an elite player.  True football fans know that college awards mean little but that would be dismissed as the innate homophobia within the game to civil rights activists who were not fans.  It would have been an ugly no-win situation if Sam hadn't been drafted.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This thread is great because it shows the homophobes.  The best part is, they don't know they are homophobes.

Clearly, a minority homosexual NCAA prospect who is the first ever to have the balls to come forward and be a real, strong person, being true to himself is a historical step forward like Jackie Robinson or even Willie O'Ree who faced discrimination with the first black person in the NHL.

Anyone overreacting to this is clearly a homophobe.

[/QUOTE]

And anyone who might disagree with you in any way is clealy a homophobe, a racist, a sexist, or some other slur liberals use to force people to think and talk as they do.

[/QUOTE]

Remember Rusty aka Doug Irwin aka is a Turd

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Whatever team he makes or doen make -mkes no difference to me

But i herd tht he sid tht he should have been drafted in the 2 or 3rd rounds

i wouldnt want to have to deal with all the political coverage 

very few orgs that could handle it

Rams can with Fischer, BB could , probably SF Giants,and Seattle too , but never the jets

I wonder what is going to happen on the Rams coz they are deep  at his position  - wht ever he is - doubtful LB and questionable DE, a tweener for sure - would  they cut him??  

At the very least 0 he is going to have to get alot of pre season game time

hope they just base everything on his football ability

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's not allowed to live his live and show his feelings towards his significant other on national TV?  

[/QUOTE]

Should gay football players have more rights then others? What if a players was a nudist ? Should he be allowed to walk on stage nude? Why not? There are some things that people don't care about and gay is one. You are what you are. That's your business not the whole worlds business . Why make it a issue ? This world is F...up. if gay is ok to push down your throat but to disagree and say so is totally wrong. I don't care if your gay ,Are you saying your special ? Maybe at the end of next years draft they could announce on tv  how many drafted players are not gay...... That would be fair .......................

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:

Rational, objective people could and can see a media  circus coming around this guy, and quite rightly might want no part of said media circus, but if you subscribe to the "distraction" take, you will be accused of using "code language" (another one of my new favorite things) or worse. I'm not really all that amazed that most people don't see the irony in what the "tolerance" crowd preaches . . .  but then again, I've probably been on the planet too long (which is "code" for "I've met people and I know what they're really like.")

Nobody is asking you to "celebrate" Michael Sam. What people are asking is that we tolerate these individuals and give them equality within our society, something they've not had recently. 

Again, no one asked you to celebrate Sam and his personal journey -- rather, we simply ask that you tolerate him and respect him as a human being. By commenting on an asinine thread expressing that you were overwhelmed by the media's attention paid to this subject shows your true colors. You, like many others in this thread, want Sam's accomplishments to be quietly swept under the rug. Despite your efforts, they won't. Much like despite the efforts of many racist white individuals in the MLB, Jackie Robinson and his accomplishments won't get swept under the rug. 

I'm shocked that you didn't have an issue with celebrating Johnny Manziel, showing him and his girlfriend sharing a moment of affection, and repeatedly following Manziel around and parading him. That's fine... because he's heterosexual. Right. 

If you can't accept a homosexual couple showing affection on live TV, then that's your problem. Maybe you're a bigot... I don't know, but that's a personal issue and has absolutely nothing to do with ESPN, NFLN, or any other sports channel parading Sam around. Showing a draftee and their response to being drafting is routine. 

If you can't understand that this was a massive social point in history, and is something that desperately needs to be covered by the media, then you have an issue with social awareness. Despite the fact that yourself and Carawaydj don't see this as a socially relevant event, it is. Keep telling yourself it pales in comparison to what African Americans went through, and you'll continue to be wrong. Gay individuals have faced social torment in this country. They haven't encountered the intense physical violence that African Americans did, mainly because even the smallest minds in this country have moved beyond that, but to say that many homosexual individuals haven't been through hell due to social influence -- that'd be disingenuous. FWIW, homosexuals have been lynched and killed in other countries. This is a socially relevant topic not only in the United States, but on a global scale as well. 

It's easy to trivialize what Sam did, but you're only kidding yourself if you do. No one shoved the Sam moment in the face of anyone. They gave the necessary attention to a socially relevant event. Whatever individuals are so outraged at this need to take a long look in the mirror. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Personally I would rather have seen 2 females kissing but it was a lil uncomfortable to me as I don't normally see those things happening.  Bottom line he is below average baller who may take a position from a better player for the sake of political correctness.   

But to all please be careful what you type or the PC nazi' s may come visit you. Better for all non conformists to find their own closets so no feelings get hurt.

Free speech and non conformity is a thing of the past.   We must all believe as the progressives believe of the name calling starts.  If that happens I may cry and eat some cake.

Always Right.....at least in my mind

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

I guess we know who all the closet gays are now on this board? The issue is not that anyone cares he's gay--there's lots of gays in the world--the issue for me is showing two dudes making out on a sports channel?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

In response to cousteau's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bradysgirlforreal's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I for one have no problem with a college player showing emotion when drafted into the NFL. But for ESPN to show two dudes KISSING - c'mon--really awkward and line crossing IMO? I'm not homophobic at all but I dont want to see two guys making out and rubbing each others arms. ESPN crossed the line! Its football not a soap opera.

[/QUOTE]

Then they should not show a guy and girl kissing. It's football not a soap opera

[/QUOTE]

Call me strange but I see a big difference between a guy and girl kissing than two dudes kissing? And God only knows what goes on behind closed doors! None of us would be here today if we were all gay-they can do what they want just dont show it to me when I'm watching a sports show?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

First of all it was late in the draft most viewers were switching the channel already so the networks extend a story that is historic, big deal. Anyone that is marginally a fan knows Sams is gay. I watch some of the draft and was very tired of Johnny football and "I'm the man song" too. 

The issue is not the televising it, it is the shoving it down your throat aspect of it. If you don't like it, then you are homophobic. Maybe you just think it was unnecessary or overplayed. 

Our society has an ad version for commentary and differences. If I say I don't like Obamacare for instance, then I must hate the democrats or I am a racists. Maybe just maybe I don't agree with the plan. Not every reaction has a deeper more philosophical reason, some just are a personal reaction not a conspiracy.

ESPN and NFL network are on to get people to watch, doing something over the top gets people to watch. News reporting today is about ratings not reporting the facts. RePort the facts and let your audience decide their opinion, don't report the event with a slant to it to push your own agenda. I have seen the same event reported on different channels and in different countries, how can the same event  be totally different due to a station's view point? Because of ratings. The problem is most Americans are choosing a point of view and then only watching the station that agrees with them. Informed, decisions and opinions when viewed or made from looking at the issue from many perspectives is the best it is getting hard and harder to do this.

--- " I am a happy fan, a proud fan and I want us to win every game 28-0 but as long as we win, the team is united and has a sense of respect to the community and the game I will be a patriots fan and damn proud of it." ---- signed a pats fan from middle earth