Why did ESPN have to shove personal Sam moment down our throats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Why did ESPN have to shove personal Sam moment down our throats?

In response to carawaydj's comment:

In response to p-mike's comment:

Well . . .   I guess we all knew this was going to be the "story" about this kid and that may or may not be unfortunate depending upon your perspective. Personally, I could care less where this guy -- or you . . .  or anybody -- chooses to stick their tongue (or . . .   you know . . .  whatever), but whenever this subject comes up we are reminded that it is not enough to simply accept alternative lifestyles (if, of course, they're the appropriate, media-approved alternative lifestyles), we must "celebrate" them.

Of course again, this flies right in the face of the "tolerance" peoples' contention that "it shouldn't matter." It shouldn't, but what they really mean is that it should matter a great deal and if you don't agree with that, then you're some kind of "phobe."

Rational, objective people could and can see a media  circus coming around this guy, and quite rightly might want no part of said media circus, but if you subscribe to the "distraction" take, you will be accused of using "code language" (another one of my new favorite things) or worse. I'm not really all that amazed that most people don't see the irony in what the "tolerance" crowd preaches . . .  but then again, I've probably been on the planet too long (which is "code" for "I've met people and I know what they're really like.."

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

^^ this ^^

To quote Dennis Miller, I have nothing against gay people but I need a GAYcation.  This is not equivalent to the civil rights movement of blacks in America.  There's a whole lotta over-the-top comparisons being made these days.  Comparing the plight of gays to blacks is one of them.  I'm tired of hearing about gays everywhere I look.  You nailed it.  We can't just tolerate it, we must celebrate it.  I'm beginning to think being gay is now considered a "preferred" lifestyle.  That's how the left and right work nowadays.  They pick a few issues they want to see movement on and then just beat you to death with it until you end up hating them.  Some in society decide to take a different view on an issue and they expect everyone else to turn on a dime or else.  None of us on this board will live to see the day that two men kissing is viewed as equal to a man and woman kissing, if for no other reason than a large swath of society believes it's wrong, a sin, immoral, a wrongly-wired brain, and so on.  That number is decreasing, but it's still large.

Bear with me for a little story on human behavior, and how us humans work.  We eat meat.  A dog is an animal much like any other animal except we happen to keep them pets.  In some countries they eat dogs.  So what if I decided to cater to the large number of Asians in my community by opening a dog farm that breeds and slaughters dogs for consumption.  I'll even have a neat little restaurant/grill onsite.  To appease those who will try to claim dogs are different than other animals we eat, I'll only breed the dumbest breeds of dogs.  You cannot logically tell me that what I would be doing is any more wrong than what a pig farmer does, but I'd still face prosecution, protests, and bodily harm.  A large number of Americans would just find it wrong despite not having a shred of logic to back it up.  Now imagine after a while it gets accepted in my local community.  They realize that my dog farm and grill has not effected their lives at all.  In fact, they start a political ideology and commence a campaign to beat America to death until every last living American also supports eating dogs.  They promote it often and everywhere.  You just can't stop hearing about why we should all turn on a dime and support eating dog meat.  They are puzzled that anyone can still think eating dog meat is improper.  They changed their minds, and can't understand why one or two hundred million other Americans didn't change their minds when they did.

Moral to the story....society doesn't turn on a dime.  It's a very slow and gradual turn.  Some knucklehead will say that if we took this approach black people would still be slaves.  Two entirely different issues.  Gays were not enslaved, skinned, lynched, denied a vote, told to sit in the back of the bus, told to drink from a separate water fountain, and so on.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

wow.

one, gay lesbian, bisexual, transgender and gender variant people have been and today are enslaved or murdered around the world.

gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and gender variant people are today denied employment, fired, denied housing, beaten in the street, raped in jail, and murdered in the street for merely being a culturally institutionalized target (and bullied incessantly physically and verbally in the schools) .  i wont hold it against you that you dont know that, but when you use your ignorance of this to diminish visibility of such persons or claim that they are not as oppressed as another group is, you are way off. further i do not believe it is ever appropriate to compare amount of suffering between members of oppressed groups. it's a diversion of attention that keeps everyone split, instead of everyone joining together to make sure we live in a more just, less prejudiced and oppressive society and culture. peace to you and all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

In response to p-mike's comment:

Well . . .   I guess we all knew this was going to be the "story" about this kid and that may or may not be unfortunate depending upon your perspective. Personally, I could care less where this guy -- or you . . .  or anybody -- chooses to stick their tongue (or . . .   you know . . .  whatever), but whenever this subject comes up we are reminded that it is not enough to simply accept alternative lifestyles (if, of course, they're the appropriate, media-approved alternative lifestyles), we must "celebrate" them.

Of course again, this flies right in the face of the "tolerance" peoples' contention that "it shouldn't matter." It shouldn't, but what they really mean is that it should matter a great deal and if you don't agree with that, then you're some kind of "phobe."

Rational, objective people could and can see a media  circus coming around this guy, and quite rightly might want no part of said media circus, but if you subscribe to the "distraction" take, you will be accused of using "code language" (another one of my new favorite things) or worse. I'm not really all that amazed that most people don't see the irony in what the "tolerance" crowd preaches . . .  but then again, I've probably been on the planet too long (which is "code" for "I've met people and I know what they're really like.")

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

Nobody is asking you to "celebrate" Michael Sam. What people are asking is that we tolerate these individuals and give them equality within our society, something they've not had recently. 

Again, no one asked you to celebrate Sam and his personal journey -- rather, we simply ask that you tolerate him and respect him as a human being. By commenting on an asinine thread expressing that you were overwhelmed by the media's attention paid to this subject shows your true colors. You, like many others in this thread, want Sam's accomplishments to be quietly swept under the rug. Despite your efforts, they won't. Much like despite the efforts of many racist white individuals in the MLB, Jackie Robinson and his accomplishments won't get swept under the rug. 

I'm shocked that you didn't have an issue with celebrating Johnny Manziel, showing him and his girlfriend sharing a moment of affection, and repeatedly following Manziel around and parading him. That's fine... because he's heterosexual. Right. 

If you can't accept a homosexual couple showing affection on live TV, then that's your problem. Maybe you're a bigot... I don't know, but that's a personal issue and has absolutely nothing to do with ESPN, NFLN, or any other sports channel parading Sam around. Showing a draftee and their response to being drafting is routine. 

If you can't understand that this was a massive social point in history, and is something that desperately needs to be covered by the media, then you have an issue with social awareness. Despite the fact that yourself and Carawaydj don't see this as a socially relevant event, it is. Keep telling yourself it pales in comparison to what African Americans went through, and you'll continue to be wrong. Gay individuals have faced social torment in this country. They haven't encountered the intense physical violence that African Americans did, mainly because even the smallest minds in this country have moved beyond that, but to say that many homosexual individuals haven't been through hell due to social influence -- that'd be disingenuous. FWIW, homosexuals have been lynched and killed in other countries. This is a socially relevant topic not only in the United States, but on a global scale as well. 

It's easy to trivialize what Sam did, but you're only kidding yourself if you do. No one shoved the Sam moment in the face of anyone. They gave the necessary attention to a socially relevant event. Whatever individuals are so outraged at this need to take a long look in the mirror. 

+1 thank you for this post. i take exception to this one part: "They haven't encountered the intense physical violence that African Americans did,"     

gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and gender variant people have been and are today still brutally and grotesquely murdered in the usa (and elsewhere).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Bradysgirlforreal's comment:

I guess we know who all the closet gays are now on this board? The issue is not that anyone cares he's gay--there's lots of gays in the world--the issue for me is showing two dudes making out on a sports channel?

do you know what mcarthyism is? (any internet search can help...and display what the jargon you type above is  re: "I guess we know who all the closet gays are now on this board?"

baiting?

a long way to go my friend in coming out from the ignorance we were taught growing up in this culture.

and knowing what it is to not join in the oppression of your fellow humans.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

This thread is great because it shows the homophobes.  The best part is, they don't know they are homophobes.

Clearly, a minority homosexual NCAA prospect who is the first ever to have the balls to come forward and be a real, strong person, being true to himself is a historical step forward like Jackie Robinson or even Willie O'Ree who faced discrimination with the first black person in the NHL.

Anyone overreacting to this is clearly a homophobe.

bS Russ. It's easy to call folks homophobes or racists when they don't agree with the pushed opinion. It's a tactic used to marginalize differing points of view and actually quite simpleton. The US is made up of many different opinions, people, etc..some share your ides, others don't. Doesn't make the others homophobes by expressing their 1st amendment right.

yes racism and  homophobia are "points of view" and have noting to do with systemic oppression in employment, housing, tax fairness, bullying, violence, rape and murder. nothing at all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

To quote Dennis Miller, I have nothing against gay people but I need a GAYcation.  This is not equivalent to the civil rights movement of blacks in America.  There's a whole lotta over-the-top comparisons being made these days.  Comparing the plight of gays to blacks is one of them.  I'm tired of hearing about gays everywhere I look.  You nailed it.  We can't just tolerate it, we must celebrate it.  I'm beginning to think being gay is now considered a "preferred" lifestyle.  That's how the left and right work nowadays.  They pick a few issues they want to see movement on and then just beat you to death with it until you end up hating them.  Some in society decide to take a different view on an issue and they expect everyone else to turn on a dime or else.  None of us on this board will live to see the day that two men kissing is viewed as equal to a man and woman kissing, if for no other reason than a large swath of society believes it's wrong, a sin, immoral, a wrongly-wired brain, and so on.  That number is decreasing, but it's still large.

Bear with me for a little story on human behavior, and how us humans work.  We eat meat.  A dog is an animal much like any other animal except we happen to keep them pets.  In some countries they eat dogs.  So what if I decided to cater to the large number of Asians in my community by opening a dog farm that breeds and slaughters dogs for consumption.  I'll even have a neat little restaurant/grill onsite.  To appease those who will try to claim dogs are different than other animals we eat, I'll only breed the dumbest breeds of dogs.  You cannot logically tell me that what I would be doing is any more wrong than what a pig farmer does, but I'd still face prosecution, protests, and bodily harm.  A large number of Americans would just find it wrong despite not having a shred of logic to back it up.  Now imagine after a while it gets accepted in my local community.  They realize that my dog farm and grill has not effected their lives at all.  In fact, they start a political ideology and commence a campaign to beat America to death until every last living American also supports eating dogs.  They promote it often and everywhere.  You just can't stop hearing about why we should all turn on a dime and support eating dog meat.  They are puzzled that anyone can still think eating dog meat is improper.  They changed their minds, and can't understand why one or two hundred million other Americans didn't change their minds when they did.

Moral to the story....society doesn't turn on a dime.  It's a very slow and gradual turn.  Some knucklehead will say that if we took this approach black people would still be slaves.  Two entirely different issues.  Gays were not enslaved, skinned, lynched, denied a vote, told to sit in the back of the bus, told to drink from a separate water fountain, and so on.

This is what being level-headed sounds like.

[/QUOTE]

Try selling that to Matthew Shepard's family.

It takes at least 3 generations for the "dinosaurs" to die out, and cultural change take hold. We are about 1 generation into this issue. My kids already appreciate the necessity to treat all people equally with the same level of respect. My grandkids already have some friends with either two moms or two dads, and it doesn't faze them at all. Maybe by the time they have kids of their own, LGBT will no longer be an issue in society.

Unfortunately, not all of the "dinosaurs" have died yet, as evidenced by this thread.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:

In response to zbellino's comment:

In response to zbellino's comment:

In response to Brady2Welker47's comment:

Brady2Welker47

Showing Sam and his emotional moment with his partner was great...they shared a kiss great...but then they had to go on showing them eating cake out of each others mouth..really??? I would have preferred to see his game film ...all of his accomplishments..not some reality show...

I hope you can realize that Sam isn't the story ... you are. If that were a straight player with his GF no one would say a thing. The reason they are showing it is because (sadly) in 2014 it still gets the "go back in the closet" reaction. 

Once that reaction is gone, it won't be a story anymore. 

But why focus on that? Is the nfl now the morality and PC Gestapo? Why do they care? They are a professional football organization not the ACLU or lgbt or whatever.

you are correct. No one woud say a thing because it is the norm. If they are trying to shift the norm, then showing this makes sense. Still, why do they feel the need to? 

First of all, it's not the NFL. It's ESPN and the NFL network. They want ratings. They want to cover stories that are noteworthy so that they get ratings. It's not a pro-gay conspiracy. The majority of America is interested in this. 

Throwing a hissy over it just shows how absolutely entitled and spoiled a lot of white, heterosexual men are about representation. A million video hours of straight athletes kissing their GFs or wives, another 10 million in commercials that represent heterosexual relations in one way or another. 

Cry, cry, cry about the time that big bad ESPN and NFLnet devoted an extra few minutes of coverage to (ho-hum) the very first openly gay football player. 

Give me a break. 

Why do you care? Was a few minutes of air time devoted to something landmark really that bad? You had a couple hundred seconds of your otherwise entirely heterosexual life imposed upon, and that is the end of the world? 

Not at all. Personally it doesn't bother me at all. I celebrate all walks of life, I was just curious as to why it was pushed the way it was. If you think because its newsworthy, so be it. I tend to think its part of a broader agenda. Different opinions and voicing them is what makes this country great. Not all falling in line to accept whatever is thrown at us.

You think homosexuals being themselves and living their life as they feel to be normal and free, is "throwing things at you"?

Do you feel the same way about ethnic minority groups, too?

You can't be a bigot, Lifey, and "celebrate all walks of life".

Clearly, what Sam did as a trailblazer for other amateur athletes, is historically significant.  It's a definite story and it's a shame it has to be one in 2014, but it's bigots like you that make it such.

Good day.

Clearly not a bigot. If you knew my personal life, there would be no way to characterize me in this way.

my point Russ is everyone is entitled to live whatever life they want to lead. I have no issue as long as it doesn't step on my ability to do so as well. 

Pmy comment throwing things had to do with the lgbt and groups like this, through the media and politics, pushing their agenda to the point where not being supportive of it puts one in the class of bigot. Because I don't personally accept it labels me a bigot? Because I don't want to see it on TV labels me a bigot? This is what I mean..if someone has contrary opinions and beliefs, they are labeled for not accepting what is pushed. What is ironic about this is that this is precisely what the lgbt is fighting for..but only on their terms and for their cause. It's hypocritical, just like your comments. You can't have a free society with personal liberties but only apply this in ways deemed PC. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Serious question here....

If Michael Sam was not gay, do you think he would have been drafted?  If so, higher, lower or the same spot.

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

If Michael Sam was not gay, do you think he would have been drafted?  If so, higher, lower or the same spot.

a little lower or UDFA. I believe the NFL kinda pressured any team to draft him just to do it

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ddimaria. Show ddimaria's posts

In response to donrd4's comment:

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

He's not allowed to live his live and show his feelings towards his significant other on national TV?  

Should gay football players have more rights then others? What if a players was a nudist ? Should he be allowed to walk on stage nude? Why not? There are some things that people don't care about and gay is one. You are what you are. That's your business not the whole worlds business . Why make it a issue ? This world is F...up. if gay is ok to push down your throat but to disagree and say so is totally wrong. I don't care if your gay ,Are you saying your special ? Maybe at the end of next years draft they could announce on tv  how many drafted players are not gay...... That would be fair .......................

Gay athletes should not have more rights than others.. please tell me what additional rights anyone here is wanting to afford gay athletes.  I haven't seen any gay-only rights suggested.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

who gives a combine. .. the pats didnt with spikes. was he (spikes) a 7th or udfa? last i heard he wasnt a co sec defensive player of the year (as sam was).  i think he would have been taken considerably higher. 3rd, 4th, 5th...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

a little lower or UDFA. I believe the NFL kinda pressured any team to draft him just to do it

[object HTMLDivElement]

Honestly I think he would've gone higher. I can see a team not picking him because they do not want the media circus it would bring.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

I didn't see the kiss until yesterday.  But I heard about it.  People went on and on to the point where I was sure these guys were making out and tearing one anothers clothes off on TV.  I was repulsed and outraged before I even saw what happened.  Then I saw the kiss.  Jeez people, way to over react.  I've seen longer more passionate kisses on draft day between some mothers and sons. 

While admittedly, the sight of two men actually making out repulses me to a degree, I have to wonder if that's just because my wiring doesn't allow for an attraction there, or if it's because I've been socially conditioned to not accept such things.  I'm guessing it's mostly of the former, because I was raised in a very accepting family and even have some gay friends and aquaintances. 

As for what all the hubbub is about, it's pretty simple.  This is a first, and homosexuals are very much enjoying a much needed and overdue coming out party at this point in time.  Imagine being born a certain way, and being ostracised and even killed because of it.  This has been going on for a couple thousand years now.  The only difference between their plight and the plight of many ethnic races is that they can often hide in plain sight, and be forced to pretend to be something they aren't in order to survive. 

So while I may feel some aversion, I realize that's my own silly BS that I need to get over, and I would NEVER say or do anything to take away from the joy and happiness they, like the rest of us, strive for, need and deserve.  For they are fellow human beings, and like all of us, should only be judged by the content of their characters, not for how they were born or for any choices they may make with like minded consensual adults. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Good post agill1970.

Here is something to consider... I think it was a bit much, not so much two guys kissing but the fact that it was being shown over and over and over again.  Why not just show the phone call, that was a emotional moment watching him receiving the phone call but both ESPN and NFL network chose to show the two kissing again and again and again.  Now had it been a guy kissing his girlfriend they would not have played it over and over again as many times as they did the Sam kiss.  And I really wouldn't be surprised if had they showed a straight guy kissing his girlfriend as many times as they have shown Sam kissing his boyfriend people would be making comments as to why they have to keep showing a guy kissing his girlfriend over and over again. It would be like, okay we get it already.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In some ways I find this whole homophobic conversation a bit odd.

Being a heterosexual male I do not find it at all great to watch men having any sort of sexual activity with each pther. I dont care what they do, i just as soon not watch (Nor do I have to approve or not approve). When going to the movies and seeing a man and woman together, subconcsiously, one puts themselves into that position, So seeing a man kiss a man is an unnatural act.to a heterosexual. I think that is normal.  I mean the vast majority of heterosexual men just do not enjoy gay porn. Right? It is just a natural repellent feeling. itis also clear that what they do with one another is natural to them

And At the same tme there is no right not to be offended. There is also no right to be accepted. Last month one of my employess left my store, and on a main street of a little town, two guys were going at it fast and furious. There is a line and to me that is way across that line.

For the Draft I chose to watch NfL.net vs ESPN. ESPN is a very liberally based company. Which is also hypocrytical as they have their own War on Women - The sexual harrasment at that company is legendary.

Greenberg, Cowherd and the ESPN Draft team decided to make the whole Sam thing an emphasis. And I get tired of watching these talking heads be so preachy and holier than thou. I like Cowherd, but the more he talks the more he has a need to express his social and political views. And funny too He is an agnostic - fine, but then he takes Good Friday off hmm.. ( Greenie has been getting worse and worse to almost unwatchable as he wants to be Costas)

So i didnt watch them go every 20 minute on ESPN to see Sam at home. the Nfl is an ecape for me - i just do not want to deal with  anything not directly relateted to football. i dont care about another "First" . I am tired of Firsts

In the end I only care that Sam makes or does not make the nfl based upon his ability. Anything more is not something I choose,  of course there will be some, fine,  but too much is too much

IMO

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Good post agill1970.

Here is something to consider... I think it was a bit much, not so much two guys kissing but the fact that it was being shown over and over and over again.  Why not just show the phone call, that was a emotional moment watching him receiving the phone call but both ESPN and NFL network chose to show the two kissing again and again and again.  Now had it been a guy kissing his girlfriend they would not have played it over and over again as many times as they did the Sam kiss.  And I really wouldn't be surprised if had they showed a straight guy kissing his girlfriend as many times as they have shown Sam kissing his boyfriend people would be making comments as to why they have to keep showing a guy kissing his girlfriend over and over again. It would be like, okay we get it already.

I didn't watch day 3 of the draft, so I cannot take this in the same context as you.  However, I'm guessing the network showed it repeatedly to show they are ok with it.  But, it went overboard because there is really no appropriate universal line drawn in the sand.  This is new frontier type stuff, much like the kiss between Kirk and Uhura.  I'll bet the people in the control broadcasting room were pulling their hair out wondering what to do in order to seem like they were doing the right thing.  The constant repeat of it got the masses talking, for good or for bad, which is never bad for a network. 

As for public displays of kissing which some others have brought up.  A couple second kiss is no big deal regardless of who is kissing who.  Longer than that goes down the road of a makeout session, and I don't particularly care to see that regardless of who is kissing who. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Here:

I'm gonna try to lay this 1 to rest with what many of Us are saying on here (and in life)...

IF you are Gay & likewise, for instance, IF you happen to be a Woman-

>...Same as it is With a "Man", I treat you like a Big Boy & Big Girl...  Both treatment styles and applications?  =Exactly the same.  Gay, Woman, Straight Man.  

When my friend from HS told me he was gay, I loved him for it...  But I said, "Matt? If you start suddenly speaking with a lisp and suddenly acquiring some phony soft-armed/handed mannerisms...I'm just gonna kill you, o.k.?"  He said, "Good grief...please do- I'm Gay...not phony. And If you suddenly begin treating me more delicately, as if I'm now made of porcelain, I'd hope you would kill me..."  < And that is it, period.

-The year is 2014, and I LOVE it when someone &/or ANY-one walks any even slightly less beaten path, than your standard Straight White American Male.  ...But here's the thing:  I may like you more...and I may even wanna roll with ya more often (which is pretty much the case, the further you stray from Entitled Straight White Suburban Americanized Sentiments)-  But...I ain't= Gonna treat & forward to you a higher degree of sympathies...  Nor with it- A more lax degree of accountable standards, Nor an absolutely granted form of higher regards, Nor a greater degree of accolades and/or laudings. 

That...is...All.  That is THE only thing that some of Us TRUE bona fide 100% inexcuseably ZERO-Difference Egalitarians are attempting to forward.  You are Gay...I love you and treat you and forward to you the precisely unchangingly same degree of respect, regard, fairness, accountability, recognition, non-recognition, specialty, non-specialty, toughness, and/or leniency, As I UN-conditionally do to everyone else.  Same (and I mean PRECISE Standard) goes for a Female.  If you want equal rights & regard...I give you it the same as everyone else.  There WILL be no:  I want Equal Treatment, here...and- I'm just a girl, here.  Uh-ahh.  No freakin' way.  Good and bad.  The Sincerely & Truthfully Ordinary Equality, is y-o-u-r-s.  ...Why?  A:  Because I love you that much.  THAT is why. 

...And admittedly, I still have some.  Minorities.  Black folk, and the like.  Why?  A:  1 reason, Because a far higher percentage of you grew up in America with less money and less available resources to work with in order to lift your legs up to a higher state of living.  Is this true in all cases?  F NO!!!  Is it true less and less in every single year that goes by?  F yes.  Would I do the same slightest of favoritisms to a black guy whom grew up in the depths of the ghetto as I would to a white homeless guy whom was born in to extreme poverty...?  =Yup...no difference.

Gay people, Women, and Straight guys can ALL claim terrible treatment at the hands of a select few.  I'm a straight guy, and can do the same.  But it is 2014...and this is NOT in ANY way, the Social Norm of matters any more.  ...I accredit: A select few sleezeballs in any given person's life, still different than growing up with SIGNIFICANTLY less resources to uplift your lot in life, compared to 95%-99% of EVERY-one else in your society (and of which, they have plenty of the sleezeballs, too to deal with).

That's it...No specialized frailties. And Frailities only come when your lot of "teach yourself how to fish" resources is trully that meager.  Seawolfe uses a good word, "ESPN and them decided to make this an 'Emphasis'."  ...And for those whom Really & Trully have accepted Equal Regard & Rights & Recognition & Treatment To Be- Equal Regard & Rights & & Recognition & Treatment...then an "Emphasis" IS: A Frailty.   

Thoughts?   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

To comment on and clarify a number of things...

Sam and his boyfriend/significant other had a standard kiss, for lack of a better term. It wasn't a peck on the cheek, nor was it a PG-13 makeout session. It was a regular kiss, much like you'd see any other couple do. There was nothing inappropriate or obscene about the moment.

Furthermore, I have seen Johnny Manziel and plenty of other prospects have their draft "moment" replayed. To say Sam was the only player who I saw lock-lips on more than one occasion would be inaccurate. I saw plenty of other draftees smooch more than once. 

Lastly, I'm sure there were plenty of outraged individuals when an interracial couple was first televised showing affection for one another. In fact, at the time, the majority of the population likely was opposed to it. This situation is no different.

Let's go Pats!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:

I didn't see the kiss until yesterday.  But I heard about it.  People went on and on to the point where I was sure these guys were making out and tearing one anothers clothes off on TV.  I was repulsed and outraged before I even saw what happened.  Then I saw the kiss.  Jeez people, way to over react.  I've seen longer more passionate kisses on draft day between some mothers and sons. 

While admittedly, the sight of two men actually making out repulses me to a degree, I have to wonder if that's just because my wiring doesn't allow for an attraction there, or if it's because I've been socially conditioned to not accept such things.  I'm guessing it's mostly of the former, because I was raised in a very accepting family and even have some gay friends and aquaintances. 

As for what all the hubbub is about, it's pretty simple.  This is a first, and homosexuals are very much enjoying a much needed and overdue coming out party at this point in time.  Imagine being born a certain way, and being ostracised and even killed because of it.  This has been going on for a couple thousand years now.  The only difference between their plight and the plight of many ethnic races is that they can often hide in plain sight, and be forced to pretend to be something they aren't in order to survive. 

So while I may feel some aversion, I realize that's my own silly BS that I need to get over, and I would NEVER say or do anything to take away from the joy and happiness they, like the rest of us, strive for, need and deserve.  For they are fellow human beings, and like all of us, should only be judged by the content of their characters, not for how they were born or for any choices they may make with like minded consensual adults. 

I applaud your post

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Some VERY good posts by Bredbru

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

The dude is being used by the liberals to push their agenda.

Brady2Welker47

Why couldn't they just focus on the player, his ability, game film and collegiate accomplishments? I could care less about his personal srxual preference! But ESPN chose to make it about that instead of Sam the player...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to MichFan's comment:

The dude is being used by the liberals to push their agenda.

Brady2Welker47

Why couldn't they just focus on the player, his ability, game film and collegiate accomplishments? I could care less about his personal srxual preference! But ESPN chose to make it about that instead of Sam the player...

Good grief... bunch of clowns here. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In this day and age why does anyone care? Really now! LOL.

Be confident in your own sexuality and relax...THE GAYS won't sneak up behind you and savage your bums while you aren't looking...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Didn't see it, but think it's pretty cool that the NFL is trying to be socially progressive.  

The NFL is more than a sports league that makes the owners richer. It is a social force through which the values of American culture are transmitted throughout the world. It is an essential vehicle for communicating equality.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Doing the wedding cake smash on the face was pretty embarrassing though.  Did Sam get married too?

sam2

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

I wish they showed aaron murray's gf as much as they showed sam's.

Not sam fault espn blew it up like crazy. Tho he obv knew that all eyes were on him at that moment showing some restraint wouldnt have been a such a bad idea. (ie the cake )

Sections
Shortcuts