Why did we let Samuel go again?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Why did we let Samuel go again?

Samuel's primary strength is/was his ability to instinctively jump routes.  His coverage skills were never great, good perhaps, but never great and he has always been soft against the run.  He wanted much more $$ than the Pats were willing to pay. 

That the Pats have not had overwhelming success drafting corners in recent years is hardly a compelling argument to have kept Samuel.  The Bodden signing was widely lauded at the time.  The guy got hurt; that happens in football.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In Response to Re: Why did we let Samuel go again?:
    Since Samuel left the Patriots have had a hard time finding his replacement. 2008 drafted Terrence Wheatley 2nd Jonathan Wilhite 4th signed journeymen Jason Webster Deltha O'Neal Ade Jimoh Fernando Bryant Lewis Sanders Jason Webster 2009 drafted Darius Butler 2nd signed Leigh Bodden Shawn Springs 2010 drafted Devin McCourty 1st signed Chevis Jackson Terrence Johnson DeAngelo Willingham 2011 drafted Ras-I Dowling 2nd signed Kyle Arrington Antwaun Molden Sterling Moore
    Posted by digger0862

IMO Digger, you would be more correct in saying since Ty Law left, we've had trouble finding his replacement.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Since Samuel left the Patriots have had a hard time finding his replacement. 2008 drafted Terrence Wheatley 2nd Jonathan Wilhite 4th signed journeymen Jason Webster Deltha O'Neal Ade Jimoh Fernando Bryant Lewis Sanders Jason Webster 2009 drafted Darius Butler 2nd signed Leigh Bodden Shawn Springs 2010 drafted Devin McCourty 1st signed Chevis Jackson Terrence Johnson DeAngelo Willingham 2011 drafted Ras-I Dowling 2nd signed Kyle Arrington Antwaun Molden Sterling Moore
    Posted by digger0862

THIS is what we need to measure letting Samuels go against. The money he wanted was a lot less than we have wasted on all these guys, not to mention the cost opportunity of draft picks.

This is the reason most teams re-sign their star players. You guys would be making the same arguments against Mankins if we let him go (soft on pass rushing but wanted top guard money) or Wilfork (only a run stuffer, poor on pass rushing, sub-optimal in 4 man fronts, wants top DL money) and other crap. And then we would have wasted another god knows how many draft picks and free agent signings trying to get replacements. Infact these arguments were made against Mankins and Wilfork too.

Fact is your star players are star players because they are performing great in your system. I keep hearing arguments that the players we let go don't work in other systems as justification for letting them go. And yet noone talks about the dozens of good players in other systems that don't work in ours, A Thomas being the most egregious example but the list is long with Ochocinco being the most recent bust. 

If someone is working well in your system he's worth more to you than he is to others, if you can get him for the same price others are willing to pay then you come out ahead. THIS is why almost all teams re-sign their star players. It's too hard to find the replacements as good at that price. 

I am only talking about star players, those who are top-5 league-wide at their position. I think letting Samuels go was a stupid move. I think his interception ability is astounding and his coverage skills are still better than anyone we have currently. And we have wasted a lot more draft picks and dollars than what he wanted. 

Frankly I won't even be that surprised if Samuels comes back to the Patriots to finish his career. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I think BB would have liked to have kept Samuel, just not at the price he was asking.  I think BB saw Samuel for what he is--a guy who has excellent instincts for jumping routes, but is more average in other areas (not bad, just not exceptional). He was a guy you'd like on your team--just not at a huge cap cost because he really wasn't complete enough at his position to justify absorbing so much of your cap space.  The problem is that BB didn't really have a back-up plan to fill the hole left when Samuel left.  I suspect this is because BB probably was thinking Samuel would be signed to a longer term deal and when things didn't work out, he ended up having to try to find a starter in a position where the best are drafted high and free agents are expensive. Losing Samuel did hurt the Pats I think, but I'm not sure signing him would have been the right thing to do either because of the high cap cost.  Samuel and Branch strike me as similar situations . . . guys who were important to the team but who couldn't be signed except at a cost beyond what BB thought they were worth. Losing both hurt the team, but BB also has to avoid signing guys for more than they're worth because that eventually gets you into salary cap problems that are even more damaging to the team. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In Response to Why did we let Samuel go again?:
    http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articles/valuepricecb.php Seems to me that he's been worth every penny of the contract he got. And he would have stayed here for something like $50m for 6 yrs. Even less than he got from the Eagles, and we might have had a few more championships. Atleast we didn't make the same mistake with Mankins and Wilfork. Hopefully we won't with Gronkowski next year either. 
    Posted by murghkhor

It is 5 year old history. Forget about it. It is over. Move forward!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

One moral of this thread:  JintsTool is still a moron for thinking I and this 1513K person are the same person.  I also love how he calls me Queenie.  I don't think anyone knows what that even means.  lmao

The day I create a second persona, trust me when I say you'll know what it is, because it will actually have some comedy to it.

What a moron JintsTool is thinking that person and I are the same person.   lmao

I'd bet money Jintsdork is a virgin living with mommy.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In Response to Re: Why did we let Samuel go again? : Marshall was a third round pick out of Notre Dame a few years ago, I believe he got hurt and never made it past a few training camp practices. Bodden was good in 09, but when you pay him 25 million in contract (after 09) you would expect the investment to give you at least one good game after that..he never did. I really don't care how Dowling spells his name, when you got out and run fifty yards and then go on IR, I'm willing to bet learning his name won't be necessary. 
    Posted by mthurl

The Patriots have never drafted a player named Marshall, third round or otherwise.  They drafted a DB in the 6th out of Notre Dame named Mike Richardson in 2007 (read: while Samuel was on the team)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

We let him go because he cost us a Super Bowl...nice hands bruh

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

In Response to Re: Why did we let Samuel go again? : not only that..he's a real d**k too...
    Posted by JintsFan

You're actually worse because you're a Giants fan who trolls on a Patriots board trying to instigate other Pats fans.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

And I thought the Moss threads were bad.  At least he was on the team in this decade.  Samuel has been gone for going on 5 years now.  Is this for real right now? I know this is the offseason but jeez...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 15315k. Show 15315k's posts

One moral of this thread:  JintsTool is still a moron for thinking I and this 1513K person are the same person.  I also love how he calls me Queenie.  I don't think anyone knows what that even means.  lmao The day I create a second persona, trust me when I say you'll know what it is, because it will actually have some comedy to it. What a moron JintsTool is thinking that person and I are the same person.   lmao I'd bet money Jintsdork is a virgin living with mommy.
    Posted by BassFishing

He's a f####ng idiot to think that, he calls me queenie too thinking that. If he had half of a brain and read our stuff he would be able to figure out that we are not the same person. I don't need two accounts to hide behind either like he probably does. He's such a loser that he got booted from the NY forum cause nobody there likes him either.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

In Response to Re: Why did we let Samuel go again? : He's a f####ng idiot to think that, he calls me queenie too thinking that. If he had half of a brain and read our stuff he would be able to figure out that we are not the same person. I don't need two accounts to hide behind either like he probably does. He's such a loser that he got booted from the NY forum cause nobody there likes him either.  
    Posted by 15315k

What a moron.  I mean, really.  Apparently, he has no idea the entire board is lauging at him for thinking you and I are somehow magically the same person.

Yet, he continues to call you and I "queenie"? I don't get it other than he's doing a good job making a fool of himself.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 15315k. Show 15315k's posts

In Response to Re: Why did we let Samuel go again? : kind of hard to be kicked off the NY Forum (whatever that is) when you've never been a member of one... hiya queenie!
    Posted by JintsFan

You are Jet Mangione, just a NY troll who can't stand the Patriots winning ways. The Jets stink so you pull out your Giants hat.. Go back and beg the Jets forum to let you back in, you are probably good at getting on your knees... and begging lol.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I keep saying that like Asante or hate him, he turned into a pretty good player for a 4th round draft pick.  He came back and played under the tag risking injury and then got to be a FA to sign a lucrative deal by proving he derserved it.  Some of you may disagree that he deserved it, and that's fine.  But if you vastly outperformed your contract in your line of work you'd be a fool not to ask your boss for a raise on par with what others in your peer group are making.  That's what Asante did, and clearly the Eagles thought he was worth it, so he was right to push for FA whether we agree with him or not.  It's a personal affront to some of you because an athlete in a short-lived career wants to be paid and supposedly spurns your favorite team.  Look at your logic and be realisitic.   

19. This post has been removed.

20. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts