Why did we loose today?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from arxaquila3. Show arxaquila3's posts

Re: Why did we loose today?

Here's the inside scoop: 1) the Bronco's uniforms were so ugly the Pats wanted to get of the field, 2) Brady didn't recognize Moss or Welker because of the throwback uniforms, and 3) the thin air at mile-high plays havoc with his long bombs.  Seriously, TB needs sea level atmospherics to provide lift and resistance.

Actually if you look at their record in Denver, this game was one of the least embarrassing ones they have played there.  Remember a few years back when all the Pats fumbled.  The announcers were commenting on the fumbles when ol' reliable Troy Brown fumbled a return.  Put in that perspective they are improving.  Now if only you get into the playoff's because you are less embarrassing than before!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3847977. Show user_3847977's posts

This one is real simple: We lost today becasue we are playing an NFL defense with a back up collegiate QB at best. Tom Brady is horrible right now! I seriously hope he can return to form but I fear he has become Tom Buchen! Our Defense has played hard and held up pretty well. We can absolutly run the ball so stop that nonsense, we jsut never commit to doing so. Our receivers are open all over the field but Tom Buchen cant find them and when he does his accuracy is horrible! I am so pissed off about this one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

In Response to Re: Why did we loose today?:
    [QUOTE]How can you say brady didnt make progress . He threw two touchdowns on a team that had previously allowed how many 
    Posted by steve1581[/QUOTE]

Shows ur ignorance. Two touchdown passes doesn't mean Tom made progress. His timing got better the past couple games, but it simply wasn't there today. Over threw Moss, under threw Welker, both of which would have gone for TD's. If all you know about football is the box score, go play Fantasy Football.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from steve1581. Show steve1581's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why did we loose today? : Shows ur ignorance. Two touchdown passes doesn't mean Tom made progress. His timing got better the past couple games, but it simply wasn't there today. Over threw Moss, under threw Welker, both of which would have gone for TD's. If all you know about football is the box score, go play Fantasy Football.
    Posted by 4Adam13[/QUOTE]

say what you want buddy

2 tds on that defense how many passing tds have they allowed?

0 until today

that does say something considering the recent problems in the red zone

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from longhairjoe. Show longhairjoe's posts

you know, this so called HIGH POWERED Patriot Offense
    is really embarrassing at the moment.
    Where is the explosiveness?
    All I see is Wes Welker taking a beating out there.
    Losing a game like this makes the AFC East race
    a lot closer than it should be? I find it hard for the patriots to make
    11-5 at this point. Making the playoffs will be cutting it close?
    I'm not giving up on the Patriots, but losing like this is
    unacceptable, no excuse.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Turnover opportunities lost the game

Two passes were tipped into the air, and neither were intercepted.

Also, Royal fumbled a punt, but the whole team jumped on top of him while #26 picked up the ball and gained another 6 yards.

Three turnovers and we have a blowout.  Instead, the Broncos hung in the game and won at the end.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Brady, defensive playcalling and offensive playcalling.

Watching this game I wanted to punch Brady for those stupid throws. He overthrew Randy Moss on a pass I can make with my eyes close. He underthrew Welker when he had a straight line route to the endzone. 

Defensive playcalling was really bad. We attacked Joe Flacco last week, but we play off Kyle Orton? We blitzed all but once this game, and that drive was stopped. I kept yelling BLITZ! BLITZ! BLITZ!, but we didn't even try. 

Offensive playcalling was the worst. So because Matt Light is out, we aren't going to pass anymore? This is the same bone-head playcalling that almost lost the game against the Ravens. When there is 2:00 left in a ball game you have to get the ball to your best player. Why we ran the ball is beneath me, but we got predictable. 

I'm happy for Mickey D, but we lost this game. The Broncos didn't win it. We really need a real OC. O'brien is getting on my damn nerves. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

[QUOTE]First of all this talk about the defense or the special teams playing poorly is baloney; they played great.  What you can't do is leave your defense on the field all day, wear them down and hope they will stop the opposing team every time. The offense in the 2nd half lost this game.   In the first half we had two or three tightends on the field, Watson was playing some fullback and we were just pounding the rock down their throats.  Conventional wisdom says if the opposing team can't stop your running game, keep going until they can, or the game ends with an inevitable victory.  Our main runners (Morris,Maroney,Faulk) averaged about 4 yards a carry, but the average at the half had to have been well over 6 yards per carry.  In the second half we reverted back to the team that lost to the Jets.  Pass, pass, pass, pass... three and out, three and out, three and out...  mix in an ineffective draw play now and again and that was it.  It was tentative and soft play calling, trying to finesse a win instead of grabbing it by the horns and dragging it to the ground. We need an offensive coordinator who gets the ball to every player on the offense that is eligible to catch one, we needed to run 7 or 8 more of those screens that were very successful, we needed to be that team in the first half that was trying to convert 3rd and short instead of the passing team in the 2nd half that was trying to convert on 3rd and long with the defense full well knowing a pass was our only option and bringing rushers en mass. They controlled the time of possession 36:29 to 28:22.  It was 17 to 7 at the half, old Charlie Weiss would have ran the ball again and again, eating up the clock, controlling the time of possession, keeping our defense fresh so when they were on the field they would have juice to constantly attack and we would have converted points every time we were down in the red zone. You can say Brady could have done this or that, blame the refs or our defense for wearing down but the reality is we haven't won a Super Bowl without Charlie Weiss and he is the biggest loss we have yet to recover from since our last ring. Ask any pop warner football coach what you do with a ten point lead at the half when the opposing team has shown that it can't possibly stop your power running game... Bill has made a crucial error, either in not hiring a solid offensive coordinator or by leaving it in the hands of whomever is available.
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Life isn't that simple wozzy.  By my count, we rushed 14 times in the first half and 12 in the second, that's pretty balanced.  And only one of our punts was a result of a "pass, pass, pass."    Here's how I break it down:

1st Half:

TD  - 4 rushes, 3 passes

Field goal – 2 rush, 2 pass

Punt – 1 pass, 2 rush

Punt  - 4 rushes, 5 passes

TD  - 8 passes, 2 rushes

2nd half:

Punt  - 3 passes

Missed FG:  2 rushes, 3 passes

Punt – 6 passes, 7 rushes

Punt  - 2 passes, 1 rush

Fumble – 2 rushes, 1 pass attempt

All I can say is the D did all it could reasonably be asked to do.  We lost because either (1) Brady was inaccurate or (2) he's not on the same page as his receivers. 

I'm beginning to think it would be nice to have a split end to complement Moss and the slot twins.  Who was out there today - Aiken?  Brady can't just throw to the slots and Watson all day.  He needs two decent receivers working both sidelines.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuntonFirstDown. Show PuntonFirstDown's posts

Bring back Charlie Weiss! How about it Notre Dame can we have Charlie Weiss back?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Why did we loose today? : 1. Defense was on the field way too much. 2. Take one hard look at #12, could NOT sustain a drive in the 2nd half to save his life.
    Posted by longhairjoe[/QUOTE]

I won't put it all on tommy. yes, he missed moss for one TD but we desperately need more production out of our 3rd and 4th receivers. I think there was maybe one completion to a TE, one to moss and a bunch to welker and the RBs.

Doncos had 8 completions to marshall, 10 to royal and 6 to gaffney. Moss is our best offensive weapon. Other teams are torching us with their top receivers again and again; Why can't BB find ways to get moss the ball?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why did we loose today? : Life isn't that simple wozzy.  By my count, we rushed 14 times in the first half and 12 in the second, that's pretty balanced.  And only one of our punts was a result of a "pass, pass, pass."    Here's how I break it down: 1st Half:   TD   - 4 rushes, 3 passes Field goal – 2 rush, 2 pass Punt – 1 pass, 2 rush Punt   - 4 rushes, 5 passes TD   - 8 passes, 2 rushes 2 nd half: Punt   - 3 passes Missed FG:   2 rushes, 3 passes Punt – 6 passes, 7 rushes Punt   - 2 passes, 1 rush Fumble – 2 rushes, 1 pass attempt All I can say is the D did all it could reasonably be asked to do.  We lost because either (1) Brady was inaccurate or (2) he's not on the same page as his receivers.  I'm beginning to think it would be nice to have a split end to complement Moss and the slot twins.  Who was out there today - Aiken?  Brady can't just throw to the slots and Watson all day.  He needs two decent receivers working both sidelines.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Well, Brandon Tate comes of the NF-IJ list this week. I think it's time he stepped in. Aiken is a ST player, you can't expect him to produce as a WR. Galloway's second scratch means that he might be done. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

[QUOTE]HEADS always call HEADS
    Posted by K-max[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha you are right as soon as i heard Wilfork calling Tails y was like "noooooooooo" Tails never wins, hahaha

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuntonFirstDown. Show PuntonFirstDown's posts

How about that play by Slater to keep the ball at the 2?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from softserve. Show softserve's posts

Yea great play, too bad the D followed up with 98 yard drive for a TD.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why did we loose today? : Life isn't that simple wozzy.  By my count, we rushed 14 times in the first half and 12 in the second, that's pretty balanced.  And only one of our punts was a result of a "pass, pass, pass."    Here's how I break it down: 1st Half:   TD   - 4 rushes, 3 passes Field goal – 2 rush, 2 pass Punt – 1 pass, 2 rush Punt   - 4 rushes, 5 passes TD   - 8 passes, 2 rushes 2 nd half: Punt   - 3 passes Missed FG:   2 rushes, 3 passes Punt – 6 passes, 7 rushes Punt   - 2 passes, 1 rush Fumble – 2 rushes, 1 pass attempt All I can say is the D did all it could reasonably be asked to do.  We lost because either (1) Brady was inaccurate or (2) he's not on the same page as his receivers.  I'm beginning to think it would be nice to have a split end to complement Moss and the slot twins.  Who was out there today - Aiken?  Brady can't just throw to the slots and Watson all day.  He needs two decent receivers working both sidelines.
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

The difference was the sets and personnel we were running in the second half as opposed to the first. 

Most if not all of Faulk's carries came in the second half when we were running 3 or 4 wide spread formation and he got a draw play called for him, most other times he was lined up behind Tom than went in motion to spread out wide as a receiver with an empty backfield.  The run plays in the second half were the same vanilla sweeps we've seen again and again...

In the first half we had a lot of beef on the field, multiple tight end formations and we were a power running game, smashing them, wearing them down... there's a obvious difference between a finesse running game and a power running game.  A running game can also have as much diversity as the passing game, just once I'd like to see them run it with strength to set up the play action passing game... oh yeah, they did that against the Ravens and Falcons...  why would they stop using something so unstoppable again?  If they have to respect the run Tom Brady will shred them...  If you have the lead run the clock out... it is that simple. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why did we loose today? : The difference was the sets and personnel we were running in the second half as opposed to the first.  Most if not all of Faulk's carries came in the second half when we were running 3 or 4 wide spread formation and he got a draw play called for him, most other times he was lined up behind Tom than went in motion to spread out wide as a receiver with an empty backfield.  The run plays in the second half were the same vanilla sweeps we've seen again and again... In the first half we had a lot of beef on the field, multiple tight end formations and we were a power running game, smashing them, wearing them down... there's a obvious difference between a finesse running game and a power running game.  A running game can also have as much diversity as the passing game, just once I'd like to see them run it with strength to set up the play action passing game... oh yeah, they did that against the Ravens and Falcons...  why would they stop using something so unstoppable again?  If they have to respect the run Tom Brady will shred them...  If you have the lead run the clock out... it is that simple. 
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]

Yes and it didn't stop with the weak run design in the second half, it was the formations used and pass plays used. When do we realize it's not 2007 anymore? Either the 3 receiver set has been figured out by opposing defenses, or we don't have the personnel for it anymore. I do not understand how we refuse to use Galloway across from Moss at least as a decoy to stretch the field and maybe even take a shot or 2 deep to him or Moss.

Aside from that Brady and Pats offense before the historic 07 season made there living on the play action pass.(actually used it a lot in 07 too) Tom Brady is probably the best PA QB of his time and maybe ever. Where did that part of our offense go? Did it die with the departure of Weiss and his understudy Mcdaniels? Are we the most predictable offense in the NFL right now?

With all of that said we are still 3-2 but the true test will come after our bye week. We need to get right offensively. If Matt Light is out I'm very worried about protection of Tom.

One more thing. I like Sammy Morris but he is now 32 years old and has never been a feature back, if we are counting in him to get 15-20 touches a game then he will be gone by week 10. We need to use Maroney more now or get Faulk more involved, WHERE THE FAULK IS FAULK?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from softserve. Show softserve's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why did we loose today? : Their "strengths"? Looks like you failed those great grammar lessons.
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]

Hey Einstein he spelled strengths correctly. DUH! NYC education? ....LOL!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from softserve. Show softserve's posts

[QUOTE]wait...make that "hoobris"
    Posted by wink1994[/QUOTE]

LOL! or should I say "LOOL"!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re:When do we realize it's not 2007 anymore? Either the 3 receiver set has been figured out by opposing defenses, or we don't have the personnel for it anymore. I do not understand how we refuse to use Galloway across from Moss at least as a decoy to stretch the field and maybe even take a shot or 2 deep to him or Moss. Aside from that Brady and Pats offense before the historic 07 season made there living on the play action pass.(actually used it a lot in 07 too) Tom Brady is probably the best PA QB of his time and maybe ever. Where did that part of our offense go? Did it die with the departure of Weiss and his understudy Mcdaniels? Are we the most predictable offense in the NFL right now? With all of that said we are still 3-2 but the true test will come after our bye week. We need to get right offensively. If Matt Light is out I'm very worried about protection of Tom. One more thing. I like Sammy Morris but he is now 32 years old and has never been a feature back, if we are counting in him to get 15-20 touches a game then he will be gone by week 10. We need to use Maroney more now or get Faulk more involved, WHERE THE FAULK IS FAULK?
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

It's not 2007 anymore and they seem to be attempting to recreate that offense, I agree, instead what they should have done with Tom returning from injury is to run the same offense they had with Matt Cassall back there...  concentrate on making first downs instead of touchdowns.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why did we loose today? : I think it was a bit more than the defense "not having it's best day."  Fact is - our D gave up 90 and 98 yard TD drives.  Now, I'll agree TB and the offense stunk in the second half, but to dismiss the pathetic play of the D in the 2nd half is folly.  At the end of the day, we didn't stop 'em.  Also, that missed FG, usually a gimme, absolutely killed us in the end.  Coin toss, bad offense - not the true cause of our demise - it was on the D, plain and simple.
    Posted by simroy[/QUOTE]

You are kidding right?

Even Belichik came out in the presser and essentially hung the offense out on this one. Giving up 17 in four quarters, when the only thing your offense is stringing together are 3&outs is not a bad performance.

To even equate how pitiful this offense has been to how the defense has played is insulting.

Or better yet, you take a team that scores 17 per game, and give them the league average defense, and I'll take the team that only allows 17 per game, and give them the league average offense, and we'll see who wins more games.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why did we loose today? : You are kidding right? Even Belichik came out in the presser and essentially hung the offense out on this one. Giving up 17 in four quarters, when the only thing your offense is stringing together are 3&outs is not a bad performance. To even equate how pitiful this offense has been to how the defense has played is insulting. Or better yet, you take a team that scores 17 per game, and give them the league average defense, and I'll take the team that only allows 17 per game, and give them the league average offense, and we'll see who wins more games.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree Zbellino. Anybody who tries to pin this on the defense just doesn't know football. We all know the defense was going to be a work in progress after a "major overhaul" in the secondary and across the board really. yes they didn't stop Denver on final drive but there were some tough breaks with the taunting call(which whether it was or was not was a game changer) and the non reviewable challenge which was clearly our ball. However like you said we cannot go 3 and out over and over and expect our new young defense to win games for us. The lack of second half adjustments and predictable play calling was the only reason we lost this game.

The defense is our bright spot as history has proven if a unit can stay together then more often then not they improve. If our defense continues to improve they will be one of the best in the league by years end.

The real concerns are offensive variety and something else that maybe none of us have thought about. We may not have too many weapons on offense. Think about this

1. Moss is now 32, yes he is still fast but almost every wr starts to decline at his age.
    2. Welker has a baulky knee and is our only consistent weapon.
    3. Galloway is benched
    4. Watson is inconsistent at best(and injured again by the way)
    5. Taylor is injured and might not be the same this year.
    6  Morris is a 32 year old rb who appears to be our only weapon in the run game and quite frankly we have no reason to believe that with this type of work load he will be around come seasons end.
    7. Either our new coordinator does not realize that Kevin Faulk is an ABSOLUTE 1st DOWN MACHINE or perhaps the unthinkable.... Kevin has gotten old as well. OMG
    8. Who is the 3rd wr again???????????????????????????????????????????????????
    9. Laurence Maroney is the only back with the speed and athleticism to break off big chunks of yards but we only give him 5-8 touches a game and run him up the gut on a regular basis, WHY
    10. Tom Brady is not comfortable with his 1 year out of football and surgically repaired knee. YET!

We needed to be a running team and dink and dunk team the first quarter of the season to allow Brady time to get acclimated and strengthen his knee, instead we have him throw 40 X a game and go 5 wide against a jets team that can only blitz.

Sorry about the rant here but with all of the negative things I just said I still think we win the next 2 games and go into our bye week 5-2. Then the real tests begin as we play teams like Indy and New O who will make us have to score in the high 20's to win!

Go Pats lets get right and get back to the winning way!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Brady, defensive playcalling and offensive playcalling. Watching this game I wanted to punch Brady for those stupid throws. He overthrew Randy Moss on a pass I can make with my eyes close. He underthrew Welker when he had a straight line route to the endzone.  Defensive playcalling was really bad. We attacked Joe Flacco last week, but we play off Kyle Orton? We blitzed all but once this game, and that drive was stopped. I kept yelling BLITZ! BLITZ! BLITZ!, but we didn't even try.  Offensive playcalling was the worst. So because Matt Light is out, we aren't going to pass anymore? This is the same bone-head playcalling that almost lost the game against the Ravens. When there is 2:00 left in a ball game you have to get the ball to your best player. Why we ran the ball is beneath me, but we got predictable.  I'm happy for Mickey D, but we lost this game. The Broncos didn't win it. We really need a real OC. O'brien is getting on my damn nerves. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Any Pats fan who wants to punch Tom Brady in the face makes me want to punch them in the face. So what you are saying is that you can make throws that Tom Brady cannot make? If only Belichick had the brains and coaching prowess to make you the back up QB then we could have benched Brady at half time and had you win the game for us. Or better yet you should have been the coach that way you would not have called the"really bad" defensive calls and we would have won the game on defense! Damn Belichick and Brady if only they had never came to N.E.

I'm not criticizing you because your passion just your choice of words and general disposition. I understand that we are just sharing our opinions and that's why this is a great forum but saying you can make throws that Brady can't and blaming the defense for this loss just doesn't make for a good discussion.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why did we loose today? : Yeah I agree Zbellino. Anybody who tries to pin this on the defense just doesn't know football.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

I guess Bill Belichick answered this question today when he cited the offense as the problem.

Sections
Shortcuts