why didn't Pats sign laron Landry ...?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

why didn't Pats sign laron Landry ...?

The guy looks like prototype strong safety.  Not sure what happened in FA but I seem to recall hearing pats were interested ...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: why didn't Pats sign laron Landry ...?

They probably listened to all the people here who said his career was done and he had too many muscles to move around anymore...smh

Hindsight is 20/20 and i dont know what they offered, but I would have liked to see that money used to get5 Gregory for this guy. we already had our FS in McCourty its just that B.B. wanted to give him a shot at CB again...but now...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The guy looks like prototype strong safety.  Not sure what happened in FA but I seem to recall hearing pats were interested ...

[/QUOTE]

Medical reports were not favorable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Landry is a S that plays up in the box. Pats play their S's deep in cover 2. Landry is not a cover S, as you saw Gronk beating him numerous times.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

rkarp, didnt landry have good coverage? I think he was just too short on the first one but he was also stride for stride with Lloyd on that deep ball he dropped. If he is not a cover safety then neither is any of ours...Lets be fair about it.

at the least, he would have filled that 3rd safety role that they want Wilson playing but to say he is only in the box player welll... I disagree. His strenght is in the box but he is very adequate in coverage. Every time someone caught the ball he was there to stop him. He is not gonna be picking off passes ala Ed Reed but the job is done by making WRs drop the ball and Lloyd dropped those because of Landry IMO...so he is making an impact which is much more then Chung when he is healthy so far this year...

Lets not rag on him cuz he is a jet. Im sure you all hated Rodney in S.D. too. You need players like that and thats why NO WRS are scared to go over the middle against us.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Medical reports were not favorable.

[/QUOTE]

usually the medical stuff  doesn't scare off BB... Injuries heal...  Look at jets secondary .  They had revis and Cromarty then they go get Landry... 

I think BB got out- GMed on that one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

but rusty said it was smart because B.B. drove the price up. Any player that comes to visit foxboro is garaunteed to make more money eslewhere because anyone that thinks of coming to the pats has GOT to be a player right? 

Funny how that didnt work for Clinton Portis or Kellen Winslow...oh well

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]

usually the medical stuff  doesn't scare off BB... Injuries heal...  Look at jets secondary .  They had revis and Cromarty then they go get Landry... 

I think BB got out- GMed on that one. 

[/QUOTE]

Hindsight is 20/20.

At the time, Landry was coming off a severe Achilles injury, his second in as many seasons.  He had only played in 17 games over those 2 seasons.  The medical reports were enough to make the Pats think it was chronic.

He's playing well now, but it's only been 7 games.  So far, it's not exactly the Dolphins choosing Culpepper over Brees.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

rkarp, didnt landry have good coverage? I think he was just too short on the first one but he was also stride for stride with Lloyd on that deep ball he dropped. If he is not a cover safety then neither is any of ours...Lets be fair about it.

at the least, he would have filled that 3rd safety role that they want Wilson playing but to say he is only in the box player welll... I disagree. His strenght is in the box but he is very adequate in coverage. Every time someone caught the ball he was there to stop him. He is not gonna be picking off passes ala Ed Reed but the job is done by making WRs drop the ball and Lloyd dropped those because of Landry IMO...so he is making an impact which is much more then Chung when he is healthy so far this year...

Lets not rag on him cuz he is a jet. Im sure you all hated Rodney in S.D. too. You need players like that and thats why NO WRS are scared to go over the middle against us.

[/QUOTE]

I did not think he had good coverage on Gronk

I never said our S's were cover S's. I never said Landry was not better than the talent we currently have. I said he does not play the type of defense that BB wants to run very well.

I dont think the Pats play a 3rd S $2.6 (Landry) although I think Gregory is a 3rd S and he is getting $1.6.

I am not ragging on him because he is a Jet. I have already commented I thought that the Jets took away the middle of the field pretty well, and I already commented on Sanchez.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hindsight is 20/20.

At the time, Landry was coming off a severe Achilles injury, his second in as many seasons.  He had only played in 17 games over those 2 seasons.  The medical reports were enough to make the Pats think it was chronic.

He's playing well now, but it's only been 7 games.  So far, it's not exactly the Dolphins choosing Culpepper over Brees.

[/QUOTE]

This is correct.  These type of injuries cause problems after suffering them.  Like mentioned, it's only week 7.  Plus he isn't any better then what the Patriots have.  Landry likes to hit, but so do the Patriots.  I haven't seen Landy make any big plays, He gets beat, seems to be around the ball but not soon enough to make a play.  The only thing the Pats missed there was paying a guy who has had a big injury and doesn't make big plays.  No loss, imo!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I never said our S's were cover S's. I never said Landry was not better than the talent we currently have. I said he does not play the type of defense that BB wants to run very well.

I dont think the Pats play a 3rd S $2.6 (Landry) although I think Gregory is a 3rd S and he is getting $1.6.

I am not ragging on him because he is a Jet. I have already commented I thought that the Jets took away the middle of the field pretty well, and I already commented on Sanchez.

[/QUOTE]

Sorry bro! We'll just have to disagree. Landry couldnt have been more tighter on Gronk with out getting a flag, its just that brady put it high and away and he was too short to deflect the pass. I thnk Gronk being 6'6" had a lot to do with it and my point is he couldnt do any worse then what we have regardless of how he fits are scheme. My question is WHO is gonna fit these schemes becacuse noone they bring in seems to excel since Rodney and they all get worse after their 1st year so maybe mental toughness is part of it..IDK, but I think Gregory is gonna be on IR or released before seasons end. Fanini was a medical risk that they paid good money for and never played so I think B.B. should have just forked up the money for a real safety. didnt have to be Landry but after last year B.B. thought getting one guy in free agency was enough??  Another bad free agent year if you ask me outside of Lloyd and what happend to the Miami guy W.Allen?? he showed the ability to play FS in camp so....where is he? we need help!

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

lol and smh

I feel you L.H.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry bro! We'll just have to disagree. Landry couldnt have been more tighter on Gronk with out getting a flag, its just that brady put it high and away and he was too short to deflect the pass. I thnk Gronk being 6'6" had a lot to do with it and my point is he couldnt do any worse then what we have regardless of how he fits are scheme. My question is WHO is gonna fit these schemes becacuse noone they bring in seems to excel since Rodney and they all get worse after their 1st year so maybe mental toughness is part of it..IDK, but I think Gregory is gonna be on IR or released before seasons end. Fanini was a medical risk that they paid good money for and never played so I think B.B. should have just forked up the money for a real safety. didnt have to be Landry but after last year B.B. thought getting one guy in free agency was enough??  Another bad free agent year if you ask me outside of Lloyd and what happend to the Miami guy W.Allen?? he showed the ability to play FS in camp so....where is he? we need help!

[/QUOTE]

disagreement is fine. we are all hear to state our opinion. you seem to be focusing on Gronks TD (agree, perfect pass by TB)while I was making the general comment that while the Jets did a good job oftaking away the middle of the field, I thought Landry didnt do a great job on Gronk in general

While you seem to be a new poster, I was arguing during free agency and the draft for Ladarius Webb, B Carr or drafting Barron or Smith. I argued Hightower was redundant to Spikes and Mayo. From the day he signed, I was also calling Gregory a 3rd or 4th S, not a starting S.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Ok, I agrew with your assesment, we were just talking about diff. plays. I recall you being a big part of the draft threads and giving good input on possible pats players and the jury is still out on Hightower. I actually like him but think he is thinking too much right now and will be a player but yes, u could argue we had more pressing needs. (no pun intended)

btw, Im not new , just got banned by someone for foul language!?? but they didnt tell me what i said...

So now I have "Stillballin', JayShizzle, patsfan76 on my resume along with my new name now.

So thats 4 accounts in like 6 years.. not bad, but 2 accounts got deleted because I forgot log in info...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEBACK. Show WeDerrWEBACK's posts

welcome back JSHIZZLE.

As for why the pasts passed on Landry:

1. thought he would break down or not even fully recover(stated above)

2. Hindsight 20/20, BB just whiffed(stated above)

3. told BB he would rehab on his own and not report to camp(my theory)

The Jets let Landry go on his own timetable and rehab concerning his injury.  I dont think BB would do that for anyone let alone a FA.  RKRAP, you usually are a more unbiased poster but to say that Landry is bad because of Gronk whole is rediculous, and is a bit homerish.  Landry would be your best DB, by far. He runs a 4.3 still.  I have seen him close gaps that CBs couldnt close as fast.  He might be a bit slow to react due to not coming to camp and the defenses we play but I am hoping that he hits his stride and makes a big impact come the end of the year.  I hope he is healthy and I also hope we stay in contention.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEBACK. Show WeDerrWEBACK's posts

^^^thats a whole lotta hope lol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Because of his inevitable PED failing? HA! Jk.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

BB was scared off by a future positive PED result. Anyway, looks like he made the right descison. For all the talking the pair of Jests safeties did, they didn't back it up. Wasn't that Gronk running over one of them for a TD?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Beat you to it my man.^^^

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Landry said he didn't want to sign with the Pats because when he came in for a visit in the offseason, Belichick wasn't there at the facility.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Landry would have been a big plus but Vincent Jackson instead fo Brandon Lloyd would also have been hugh.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

He came in for a workout, they probably declined because of the nature of his injury. I'm not sure how he's played this year but we could have used a good safety back there who isn't hurt all the time.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I've got to say that I thought the guy did a heck of a job in coverage Sunday - it's not easy covering Gronk and although I thought Gronk won the battle, it looked like Landry was in position and was running with him stride for stride. Got to hand it to Gronk and Brady for making some very good throws and catches.

This guy could of helped us...instead we got Gregory. A guy that before he got hurt ran right by the guy he was supposed to tackle (consistently) and was out matched and slow in coverage. 

Sections
Shortcuts