Why Do BB's Gameplans in Big Games leave a lot to be desired??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Why Do BB's Gameplans in Big Games leave a lot to be desired??

Is he Overthinking these things??? Does he realize how long WE AS FANS wait during offseason, draft, mini camps ,training camps, etc, reg season.  All this buildup as we try to get over another crushing SB loss by the hands of the same team/coach who had beat us 4 years ago and THIS is what we get???  A confused, scary team that makes mistakes it hadnt made all year??  This is all On Brady??!?  Please tell me how He is to blame for bad gameplans. Joshy is not off the hook either. Why we were calling playaction passes and then passing it horizontially??? Hasnt happened all year but in the playoffs the goal is to go sideways not forward???  

Ok, so besides that we saw Vareen in action the week before abusing linebackers and I thought the plan was to utilitze this plan right away to get the Ravens on their heels and most analysts agreed with this but we came out and tried to slow the game down which doesnt work in our favor. I have not coached NFL for 30 years but ive been a fan for as long and Ive played and coached on the lower levels and YOU stick TO WHAT GOT YOU THERE!  Brady was at his best back in the day when spreading the ball. He would have 7 diff. targets by halftime and now its a 3 man show and you expect defenses not to catch on?? 

Why wasnt Fells in the gameplan? Oh-oh on a f/b swing pass off playaction??  NO Vareen 1st half, NO Bolden,.  Why does BB cut good players because he has to have ALL this DEPTH?? I mean we got a bunch of s*ck ass lineman who dont contribute outside or Fork but we got Branch as our 3rd WR and Slater as our 4th???  really?  anyone else think Taylor Prive would be up to speed by now. Why did we cut him?? to make room for Ocho??

Ok, my rant is done on BB, I could go on for days but you get the point.  Right now is when someone is getting ready to chime in about how we compete every year, in the playoffs, stop being spoiled, blah, blah, blah

Ok now on to Defense and Mr. Patricia. I thought coming in that blitzing Flacco early was the best way to go. We only  blitzed him twice earlier in the year in week 3. The way he likes to air it out deep the best defense is to blitz so he has to throw early before those deep routes develop.  Caldwell usually calls a safe game early. VS the Bronco's it was run on 1st and 2nd and then throw on 3rd. It was so predictable I just knew it had to be a setup but it wasnt,. They came out with the same thing and thats we defensed them well early but blitzing him may have made him uncomfortable. A deep passer like Flacco needs to find rythm and we gave it too him. Watching the game at the end when it was already over and how we blitzed him and were effective just made me shake my head as to why we didnt do that early.  Once they put Flacco in the gun and scrapped the run game, I knew our secondary was toast.

Soooo, lets bring it back. Why do these BB led teams look so flustered in Big games?? Does he put too much pressure on players during these weeks?? because these guys execute flawlessly in the reg. season. If you watched the Replay you will see Harbaugh directing his offense as ALL HC's do so can we please stop with this Brady runs the show?  HE plays the game like he is instructed. If they stack the box, he audibles to pass, If they show pass coeverage he checks to run. its simple expect when the teams Nickel package can stop your run.  This is about BB and his SHow. He always say that everything is on him so thats what Im doing.

Poor Gameplan in 07 SB. Poor Gameplan in 2010 playoffs vs Jets echoed by Mr.Kraft. Poor Gameplan in 2011 SB (Obrien admitted he should have changed the playcall on the saftey after the fact) and another bad gameplan last week. I mean does BB just roll out of bed and blindly put this crap together??? Is this Ernie Adams doing behind the scenes. I think BB has a job as a Magician when he retires because he has a whole fan base looking at the Best player while he Flubs up Opportunity after Opportunity in the postseason putting together these Pre_season-esque Gameplans.  I keep thinking he will Realize and wait a whole year only to watch the most Poorest Gameplan of the season.. What Gives??

I'll open up DEBATE for YOU guys now because to me this is NOT even debatable anymore. BB is killing this teams chances year after year by NOT HIRING REAL OFF. and DEF. Coordinators and its Waaaaaay past time to do something about it. Oh how I wish TB retires so we can see what BB will do then...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Why Do BB's Gameplans in Big Games leave a lot to be desired??

The gameplan on offense wasn't as bad as you say.  The execution was horrid.  Unlike Jets 2010 they actually tried to run against the nickel and did a poor job executing.  Not saying some things couldn't have been better, but with the level of execution they had, no gameplan was going to save the offense imo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

The gameplan on offense wasn't as bad as you say.  The execution was horrid.  Unlike Jets 2010 they actually tried to run against the nickel and did a poor job executing.  Not saying some things couldn't have been better, but with the level of execution they had, no gameplan was going to save the offense imo.

This sounds about right. Some plays were not well thought out but that's gonna happen. The O, in it's entirety, cost that Team a shot at SF. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I do not understand why they did not use Vereen and make him part of the game plan.  Using the hurry up offense and hitting Vereen on screen passes or short dump off passes coming out of the backfield early in the game would have been perfect, imo. 

That's all I got right now.  I'm trying to forget that game so my mind is a little fuzzy about the whole game and I'm not in the mood to go back and watch it anytime soon, lol!

But Yes, some of the game plans they come up with just seem strange and have me asking why are they doing that?  It's like they are overthinking them.  Go with the hot guy, imo and it should have been more Vereen.  Also, do they ever have a plan B?  Sometimes it doesn't seem so.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

So pc, do you think no matter how bad the plan that exectuion should overule everything else??

Example. You have 38 y/o Troy Brown as your outside WR and he is matched up vs Darelle Revis and you call and out route to him. Revis pics it off and takes it back for 6. Is this bad exection by Brady or a bad gameplan??

Also when speaking of offense, everyones talks about how Brady is so experienced, he should not make mistakes, etc but its a team game and how many other Vets on the Offense outside of Brady??? This is a YOUNG OFFENSE!  Gronk and Hernandez just start Drinking LEGALLY! Our RBS are ALL YOUNG!  Even the LINE is YOUNG and they HAVE NO SB WINS under their Belt! So why wasnt everyone lined up when Brady tried to clock the ball. Brady is the ONLY vet with SB experience in winning one. I think thats needs to be understood as well. It takes 11 guys on the same page and right now our young skill position players arent stepping up enough.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Rusty,  you just admitted that you didnt read past line one but then said I cant form sentences?? Which is it?? How can u know this w/out reading??  Fraud!  As usual you offer nothing to the debate because it doesnt support your brady bashing agenda. You cant admit your Binkie coach has been overwhelmed for a while now. I mean do you realize that Jim Freeking Caldwell just beat our defense led by Wacco Flacco!   LMAO!  Mayo getting ran over on the goal line but his twitter has a thousand pics of him laying our Pitta!??  What a joke! 

This is your rebuilt, championship defense??  LOL

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

So pc, do you think no matter how bad the plan that exectuion should overule everything else??

Example. You have 38 y/o Troy Brown as your outside WR and he is matched up vs Darelle Revis and you call and out route to him. Revis pics it off and takes it back for 6. Is this bad exection by Brady or a bad gameplan??

Also when speaking of offense, everyones talks about how Brady is so experienced, he should not make mistakes, etc but its a team game and how many other Vets on the Offense outside of Brady??? This is a YOUNG OFFENSE!  Gronk and Hernandez just start Drinking LEGALLY! Our RBS are ALL YOUNG!  Even the LINE is YOUNG and they HAVE NO SB WINS under their Belt! So why wasnt everyone lined up when Brady tried to clock the ball. Brady is the ONLY vet with SB experience in winning one. I think thats needs to be understood as well. It takes 11 guys on the same page and right now our young skill position players arent stepping up enough.

I'm not sure what you're saying here.  You ended with our young skill position players aren't stepping up enough.  That is the definition of execution, not gameplan.  The Ravens did exactly what the Jets did in 2010 and we were prepared for it this time as we tried to run against the nickel.  The run blocking by our TEs was poor.  That is bad execution.  There is only so much you can scheme when your receivers are Hernandez, Lloyd and Welker and they are going up against 5 DBs on virtually every down.  Had they been able to run the ball more effectively it would have forced the Ravens out of nickel and we would have been in better shape.  The unfortunate part is it looked like we were starting to have some success when Ridley fumbled (again this is bad execution and not gameplan) which put us down 2 scores and put us in desperation mode on offense.  The other big drive killer up to that point was Wes' drop which was again bad execution.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Rusty,  you just admitted that you didnt read past line one but then said I cant form sentences?? Which is it?? How can u know this w/out reading??  Fraud!  As usual you offer nothing to the debate because it doesnt support your brady bashing agenda. You cant admit your Binkie coach has been overwhelmed for a while now. I mean do you realize that Jim Freeking Caldwell just beat our defense led by Wacco Flacco!   LMAO!  Mayo getting ran over on the goal line but his twitter has a thousand pics of him laying our Pitta!??  What a joke! 

This is your rebuilt, championship defense??  LOL

You're kind of like Dan Shaugnessy. I can read your first sentence or your subject title and I already know what kind of garbage will dribble out of that smelly mouth of yours.

Yes, the youngest D in the league looks very good barring injuries to key players. Yes.

It will only be stronger next year.  Will we have a championship offense?  Will Brady ever look to commit to running it and fighting fire with fire?

There was a more than acceptable pass/run balance in the game until the fumble resulting in 13 points.  The run game was 100% responsible for the 3 instead of 7, in their second drive.   1 + 6+2 ='s 9  (all runs)  100% at fault!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Look at it this way, after the Super Bowl, 25 other teams have been waiting for a championship longer than us.

As you said, this team is young. I also think they get too much undeserved media hype because this team is led by Brady and BB and people portray them as 3 time champs. I think this raises fans expectations a bit too much.

This team is the Atlanta Falcons of the AFC. Maybe a bit better because they made the Super Bowl, but not that much better.

This isn't a team trying to re-capture championship glory, it's a team knocking on the door trying to find it.

I'm not sure if D coordinator is the problem. You look at what Capers and Williams did during their Super Bowl runs, and they looked like geniuses. After that, it seems as though they've outstayed their welcome. Dean Pees? Did much of nothing in NE, did much of nothing for most of the regular season, but looks like a genius in the post season? Dick Lebeau gave up 23 to Tebow and 31 in the Super Bowl!

At some point, it just comes down to players making plays. Clay Matthews forcing a fumble on Mendenhall. Manningham making a spectacular catch. James Harrison returning an Int for a TD.

Also takes some screw ups from other team/luck. Ravens aren't here unless Rahim Moore completely miss plays the Flacco fling. SF may not be in the Super Bowl if Harry Douglas doesn't trip over himself on that "catch". He easily could have gotten 20+ yards if not a TD. Giants might not be in the Super Bowl if not for that one unforced fumbled that Kyle Williams committed.

Roster needs to get better first and then the Pats might need the ball to bounce their way a couple of times.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

How can anybody plan a game plan when the offense performs like it did?  It was very poor execution by the offense.  That offense would have made any game plan come into question.  The offense just didn't perform well  to say it politely.

On the defensive side of the ball things fell apart when Talib went out.  Jones was dinged and ended up on the side lines.  It's a young defense but a fragile one too.  One or two players go out and the thing is toast.

I don't know what you want really.  Failure not to win the SB?  Really?  A good goal is to get to the playoffs and if things fall right for your team you go far and possibly win the SB.  And when do we as Pats fans ever give the other team credit?  Flacco had a great game and had to.  The defense shut down Rice pretty well.  Nice scapegoat though.  Blame the coaches and the game plan.  Just ignor the performance please.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

You do realize that Balt couldn't stop the run in the first half, right?

<snip> 

NE shutdown Ray Rice, contained all 3 top targets for Flacco, but once in the red zone, Balt made nice plays and were aggressive targeting the end zone.

You need to look at those stats again. The Patriots had 75 yards on 21 carries for a 3.6 yard average in the first half. I would say that is stopping the run pretty well. The Ravens actually ran the ball better than the Patriots with a 3.8 yard average in the first half. If the Ravens were averaging more yards per carry than the Patriots how was Ray Rice shutdown, but the Ravens couldn't stop the run?

As for containing Flacco targets, you are wrong again. The top three targets for Flacco are Boldin, Smith and Pitta. They combined for 184 yards on 14 catches with 3 TDs. The Patriots top three of Welker, Hernandez and Lloyd combined for 280 yards on 25 catches with 1 TD. Brady had to throw 40 passes to those three to get them those numbers while Flacco threw only 24. So the Ravens guys had better yards per catch (13.3 to 11.7) and better yards per attempt (7.7 to 7.0). Essentially, the only reason the Patriots had higher reception and yardage totals is that they simply threw so many more passes.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

They did stop Rice.  It was Pierce who ripped us.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

the offense didnt execute, its as simple as that....they got inside the ravens' 25 six times and only scored one td and two field goals....inexcusable.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

Baltimore was the more physical team and took us to the woodshed in the second half. When we started putting the ball on the turf it was over, with the Ridley fumble sealing the deal. The offense played about as bad as you possibly can, there is no denying that. There's something going on in Brady's head in these games. I'm convinced of it. Maybe he is thinking too much. The Patriots will beat any team in the league when fully healthy. I'm convinced of that and so is Vegas which again lists them as the Super Bowl favorite next year with 6 to 1 odds. Gronk changes EVERYTHING. Check Brady's numbers with and without Gronk and it's as clear as day. But in the end all teams have injuries so tip your cap to the Ravens..they deserved it. Hopefully everything will click next year and Gronk will bounce back and have a huge season and be there in the end. We need him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSthebest. Show PATSthebest's posts

It could be that the pressure does get to TB now in the later half of his career. During the reagular season there is always a game next week. In the playoffs the "do or die" situation carries a lot more presssure.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

im not a coach nor do I claim to be but why is it that they have a good drive going and are moving past midfield and into raven territory, why is it on 3rd and 2 they throw deep to welker? for one the deep pass rarely works for the patriots and welker going deep has almost no chance. they were running the ball decently on that drive, why not run on that play and even if they only get a yard its 4th and 1.. they could have opened up a two score lead and really changed the game.

like i said, i don't claim to be a coach but these long passes on 3rd and short leave me scratching my head, especially in a playoff game.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

i see the defense continue to improve next season, signing talib will go a long way toward that, dennard is going to be very good. the problem is that if the offense stays the same, i mean same philosophy then things wont change. they will put up big points and stats agains the weak teams but get shut down completely by the strong defensive teams  in the playoffs. if the defense is good enough to shut out playoff teams then we will probably win but with some of the talent on offense they should be able to score on anyone, but they don't we've seen the same thing for the past several years and its going to continue until changes are made. By no means has the defense been perfect but the offense continues toi put up stinkers in big games agains good teams.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

He certainly does not have the inherited studs at his disposal at his initial hiring. He hasn't had much luck with some, not all, free agents. His draftabilty remains in question, not because he's inept at judging morphable talent, but because they can't either learn or adapt to the intricaties of his system. He's had unfortunate and infortuitous injuries that have plagued his teams for awhile now. The NFL will improvise and adjust to once unseen or unprepared looks on either side of the ball that he offered. He's had two major plays (some call it luck) in two SB losses. He hasn't had a consistent physical speciment of a RB that could carry the rock 25 times a game and that won't suffer from fumblelitis (ala Corey Dillon). His ability to protect TB against mediocre type front fours verses smash mouth, internal speed rushers has been an unsolved protection issue. His intolerance for non-mental toughness or miscues are always punishable offenses in his eyes. He does mimic and tweak formations to his liking all to gain the slightest edge, which is part of the game, but in the end he fails to conceptualize and use his own football acumen and techniques at times for which he's crowned a genius. He hasn't lost his football vision by any stretch. He needs to rethink and reformulate even more sophistacated looks to further befuddle the opposition as long as he doesn't overburden his team with these new concepts. He needs to bring a greater sense of urgency with TB moving closer to meeting Father Time. FT takes all prisoners. With all that said, Pats' fan should consider themselves blessed for having him and he's blessed to have Tom Terrific.