Why do most of you Pats fans think so little of Tebow?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

Re: Why do most of you Pats fans think so little of Tebow?

i would take a flyer on tebow if he were avaiable late second round, maybe idk. He might not even be worth a fourth round selection as his arm is worse than me throwing with my left hand(im a righty).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

For one, he is way overhyped and overdone for his potential talent in the NFL. Secondly, his skills don't really translate to being a QB. Brady had to hit the weight room to improve, while Tebow needs to learn how to play QB (the system at Florida isn't an NFL system and his throwing motion is awful...slow release, not accurate, not strong).

Why did Tebow stay around 1 more year at Florida if he didn't focus on improving his motion if being a QB in the NFL was his dream? For me, his story doesn't add up and it's annoying to hear people get excited about him. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Russ: You appear to have a pretty unbiased viewpoint. Do you really think Tebow could be a wildcat type player with 4.8 speed? I just think he would be chased down very easily. In terms of him being a bull, he was tackled by one guy VERY easily at the senior bowl. I just don't see him making an impact in any situation. To me Tebow was a PERFECT fit at Florida, but a terrible fit for the NFL.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

although I do not think the Pats should spend a 2nd rounder on him I do think he will turn out to be a good QB in a few years.  What was said about brees when he came out?  or Flutie although I'm not saying he will have success I wouldn't bet against him.  He is over hyped but what else do you expect from one of the best college players in history.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

im not a pats fan but come on...A. when is the last time a florida gator had any kind of even a good career? emmitt smith? and that draft was 20 plus years ago and he was a running back, not a QB

B. how many good qb's in the NFL are left handed? im trying to think of someone but i cant...good nfl lefty QB's are very very few and very very far between

C. he does not have a strong arm and cannot make all the throws needed to be an nfl QB

D. his place in the nfl is as a distraction for other players to get the ball or to make short throws when everyone is expecting the run

E. his leadership skills and intangibles should be great for when he tries to coach HS football somewhere soon because he wont be in the NFL for very long

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Why do most of you Pats fans think so little of Tebow?:
    Bill Walsh, the greatest offensive genius ever who totally changed the NFL forever, and coached Montana and Steve Young, along with Steve Mariucci, who coached Favre, and was an excellent offensive mind, together worked him out privately, and there was absolutely nothing about him in delivery, footwork, or anything else that led them to believe he would be even a backup QB.  All they heard was he had the "IN"tangibles, which are the leadership abilities and total team player.  They said no to drafting him. His name? Tom Brady!! OK knowledgeable PATS fans, what do you have to say to that?  No excuses! Were any of you at all happy about the Pats drafting him even in the late rounds?  None of you have a clue how good or bad Brady or Tebow could be.  They have similar qualities, the intangibles and the desire to workout and succeed.   Go Pats!
    Posted by quasi

I have no problem with the Pats drafting him in the 5th or 6th round.....I don't want to waste a 1 -4 round pick on a back up QB that is a "PROJECT".....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maineeac. Show Maineeac's posts

Because the experts think so little of him - and they should know.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Um, because 99% of the so called experts say he can't play in the NFL?  Could that be it?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

Ok everyone, Brady didn't show any ability, physically when he was checked out in the combines.  He was a nobody with no real skills except tangibles.  I said Walsh if anyone knows said there was nothing about him they saw that would make an NFL QB.  Left handed QBs?  Steve Young, except for having zero ability for making comebacks, would have been one of the greatest ever!  Ken Stabler was amazing, Boomer Esiason, Jim Zorn, and watch Matt Leinart break out this year.  As a rookie he was at least as good as Vince Young in making comebacks, except everytime he got his team a FG try to win it in the last second, his Kicker missed.

As far as Tebow goes, he is always in the game, he has shown amazing ability to come from behind when he needs to, and not every QB looks great throwing the ball.  It is more important to get the job done which he does.  I am not saying he is a guarantee great success, but so many of you, because some of the experts say he is not going to make it, you believe it.  Everyone here "knew" Maroney was going to be great when we drafted him.  Most scouts, coaches like Shanahan and Dungy or GMs thought the Pats may have gotten the steal of the draft.  Manning told Brady we got his running back.  So most of us know little about all this as well as the guys who are supposed to know this.  If we draft Tebow, I bet most of you will start rooting like @$#@ for him.  I only say speculate and don't act like you absolutely know.  And JDonald, where is the hype about Tebow being great in the NFL?  None except he is no good at all.  The hype he got was that he was one of the greatest college QBs ever which you have to consider because he was one of the best.  No matter who we draft, no one knows how he will turn out. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

The last Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback to win a Super Bowl ring was Jim Plunkett in 1981, playing for the Oakland Raiders.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

123meg  so does that mean he can't make it?  No on thought Brady had a prayer of making it.  He did.  Many players make it who the experts thought wouldn't.  Look at all the great players taken # 1 in the entire draft who never even came close to making it.  If it weren't for the fact they were # 1, they may have been cut in the exhibition season.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dplav. Show dplav's posts

give me players from cold weather schools anyday. its one thing to be successful in florida,cal or ariz,but to have it when your fingers are numb is another.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lombardi479. Show lombardi479's posts

This is the thing about the draft, no one really knows how any guy will turn out in the pros.  For every guy thats drafted in the first round at a position you can name a guy that was drafted in the later rounds thats just as good.  With that being said, i wouldnt take Tebow before the 5th round.  If he is such a good QB why did he just spend 5 weeks changing his entire style of throwing.  QBs spend the entire life growing up learning a style.  That scares me.  Plus, the video i watch of his work out, he looked awkward dropping back and throwing.  Is he a good athlete, yes.  Would i like to see him as a TE on the pats, yes.  Drafting a guy just becuase hes a "good leader" should not be the reason hes drafted.  At least not in the first 4 or 5 rounds. It should be a bonus. 

This is a huge draft for the pats.  This year and the next 3-4 years hing on this draft.  They say this draft if very deep at a lot of positions and we need to grab the best at DE, OLB, WR, TE, and even a OL in the first couple rounds.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

In Response to Re: Why do most of you Pats fans think so little of Tebow?:
    123meg  so does that mean he can't make it?  No on thought Brady had a prayer of making it.  He did.  Many players make it who the experts thought wouldn't.  Look at all the great players taken # 1 in the entire draft who never even came close to making it.  If it weren't for the fact they were # 1, they may have been cut in the exhibition season.
    Posted by quasi

That is dumb logic. Top picks have a greater shot of making it. Tebow, who EVERYONE concedes is a late second at best but more likely a mid to late round guy, has less of a shot of making it. 

Tebow is the anti Patriot. The Patriots successfully pick guys like Brady, Cassel, and Edelman. Those are Patriot type players. Guys that have measurables to play in the NFL with A FEW TWEAKS that no one else is talking about. Projects taken in later rounds. Tebow needs more than a few tweaks and everyone is talking about him. 

Please list what skills Tebow has to make it. Please. You should evaluate based on skills, not folklore! 

I'll give you one intangible that Tebow lacks. Preparation. Why does he wait until AFTER THE SENIOR bowl to fix his motion? Please answer me that. He had all summer. What was he doing? If his goal was to be a top QB in the pros, then maybe try to improve your chances. I would much rather have a guy no one is talking about that actually WORKED to improve their chances in the NFL. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

No, it doesn't mean he can't make it, it means he most likely won't.  With all the other holes to fill on this team it simply isn't worth the gamble with any pick higher than a fourth rounder. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

And the Brady comparison is nonsense.  Brady did not have to totally redo his throwing motion and mechanics a month before the draft. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

In Response to Re: Why do most of you Pats fans think so little of Tebow?:
    This is the thing about the draft, no one really knows how any guy will turn out in the pros.  For every guy thats drafted in the first round at a position you can name a guy that was drafted in the later rounds thats just as good.  With that being said, i wouldnt take Tebow before the 5th round.  If he is such a good QB why did he just spend 5 weeks changing his entire style of throwing.  QBs spend the entire life growing up learning a style.  That scares me.  Plus, the video i watch of his work out, he looked awkward dropping back and throwing.  Is he a good athlete, yes.  Would i like to see him as a TE on the pats, yes.  Drafting a guy just becuase hes a "good leader" should not be the reason hes drafted.  At least not in the first 4 or 5 rounds. It should be a bonus.  This is a huge draft for the pats.  This year and the next 3-4 years hing on this draft.  They say this draft if very deep at a lot of positions and we need to grab the best at DE, OLB, WR, TE, and even a OL in the first couple rounds.
    Posted by lombardi479

I agree mostly, but let's stop the garbage about him being a TE. THE GUY HAD TROUBLE TAKING SNAPS AT THE SENIOR BOWL! As a qb you'd think he's be able to take snaps. The thought that he could be a TE is hysterical. For one, he's a lot slower than many of the TE's in this years draft class. Look up the numbers. Hernandez, from his own team, is markedly faster. For two, he's never played the position. Do you really want him blocking Julius Peppers? Top TE's from past drafts like Watson have struggled in the NFL, and your telling me an ex QB who have never played the position before will be just like Dallas Clark? That's just mental!  

I'd rather the Pats draft guys like Myron Pryor and Edleman in the late rounds rather than take Tebow. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from quasi1981. Show quasi1981's posts

Rockdog - Brady just needed a few tweeks?  He showed nothing is why he wasn't taken.  He went to Michigan so he wasn't a hidden secret like Jerry Rice.  Everyone checked him out and many said he had nothing that you wanted in a QB in any of the things they looked for in skills which would include throwing.  All I am saying is you never know how players will turn out and I never said top players drafted have as little chance of making it, but there have been too many absolute busts in the # 1 player taken, and that should never happen, but it does.

and dplav, have you ever heard of schools like UMiami and USC?  They are definitlely warm weather schools,  Fla plays in Gainsville in the northern part of the state where the winter is like fall weather, so please let go of that one.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

No you never know.  But when most experts say he won't make it you don't waste a draft pick when you have several other holes to fill.  He'll be playing in the Canadian league in two years. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

What makes Tebow the easy target  for this type of banter is his success and hype from his college career.

Still, I take a chance on the kid and bring him to New England. He's ready to soak up knowledge and insight, which Brady and Belichick will gladly dish out. People may forget that Brady and Belichick meet on their own each week, even if they don't have to. They share ideas, knowledge, and just talk. Tebow is the type to do the same thing. The kid has a chip on his shoulder and he's willing to learn. What more do you want from a young player? I know I know, people are going to say 'uh, talent maybe?'. He's got it. He's already improving and I have no doubt in my mind that he can become a better QB over time. And if not, he can still be on our roster to play a wildcard role. Belichick CAN and WILL find a creative way to keep this kid on the field. He's got too many intangibles to ride the bench. People on this board often ask 'why aren't there more Vrabel and Bruschi type players?' There are and Tebow is one of them. He may not fit our QB position but he's going to be on the field one way or another and he'll continue the Patriot tradition.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

He won't be on the field if he can't play a position.  Has he ever even attempted to play TE?  Intangibles are great but if he doesn't have the skill set he won't make it.  Flutie was the same way and had a nice career in Canada but couldn't adapt to the pro game in the NFL, granted mostly due to his size.  Lots of college legends haven't been able to make the jump to the next level.  Not saying don't take him, just saying don't use a high draft pick on him.  Fourth or fifth maybe, tops.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Why do most of you Pats fans think so little of Tebow?:
    Bill Walsh, the greatest offensive genius ever who totally changed the NFL forever, and coached Montana and Steve Young, along with Steve Mariucci, who coached Favre, and was an excellent offensive mind, together worked him out privately, and there was absolutely nothing about him in delivery, footwork, or anything else that led them to believe he would be even a backup QB.  All they heard was he had the "IN"tangibles, which are the leadership abilities and total team player.  They said no to drafting him. His name? Tom Brady!! OK knowledgeable PATS fans, what do you have to say to that?  No excuses! Were any of you at all happy about the Pats drafting him even in the late rounds?  None of you have a clue how good or bad Brady or Tebow could be.  They have similar qualities, the intangibles and the desire to workout and succeed.   Go Pats!
    Posted by quasi

This is an excellent point. I say, if Tebow is there in the sixth round the way Brady was, by all means, scoop him right up.

(apparently, you can't say "sn*tch")

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

p-mike, you really think he'll drop down to the SIXTH ROUND?! I find that hard to believe because for all the hype, someone's going to pick him within the first 3 rounds.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Well if he's going in the first three rounds I sure as hell hope its not to the Pats.  That is way too high.

Sections
Shortcuts