Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Watching the, yaawwwwwwnnnnn, Chargers v 49ers game and it made me wonder: Just why are folks putting a lot of thought into the Chargers being a potentially tough opponent for the Pats in the playoffs?

Looking back at each team's last six games..  within which each team has a loss, just who have they played?  The Chargers have played against a vaunted line-up consisting of the Chiefs, Raiders (loss at home), Indy, Denver, Houston and Tennessee.  The Pats, on the other hand, have played the Bears, Jets, Detroit (on Turket Day, a day the Lions have a tendency to play well) Colts, Steelers and Browns (loss on the road).  I wonder, reverse the schedules and lets see what the Chargers record would be.  Hmmmmmm..   and the Chargers haven't exactly been feasting on a schedule of tough teams. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fessin. Show fessin's posts

Re: Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats?

They are getting healthy, V Jackson is back,  and they are a dangerous team.  If they can stop making some stupid plays they will be very tough.  I still think the Pats are the best team but Chargers are the one team I don't want to face.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Re: Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats?

In Response to Re: Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats?:
    They are getting healthy, V Jackson is back,  and they are a dangerous team.  If they can stop making some stupid plays they will be very tough.  I still think the Pats are the best team but Chargers are the one team I don't want to face.
    Posted by fessin

I agree with this 100%

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I think most people simply remember how horribly San Dago played in the teams' first meeting this season, and how the Pats barely escaped with their lives. There's no denying the Chargers have played the ultimate cupcake schedule this season . . .   but they can only play who the schedule puts in front of them. I do think they'll catch the Chefs and make the playoffs, but I'm not worried about them challenging the Pats in Foxboro in the middle of January.

Not a bit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Umm...because they are good and because most championship teams have an excellent quarterback. And because they play us tough usually. That enough reasons? Much prefer Kansas City make the playoffs instead if it's up to me. Having said that the Colts scare me more, don't care what their record is, though for different reasons.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Chargers are toast!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Keep in mind that this 49ers team could very well be a playoff team... San Diego is a very good team, why wouldn't we be concerned with them? Especially with Jackson back. Their running game doesn't strike fear in anyone but the passing game sans Gates looked good. I'm pullin for the Chiefs to win their last three, Chargers will be a tough out 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Because they'll beat New England in Foxboro this January. The Bolts only played 1 quarter in their previous matchup and still almost pulled it out. Also, your 1st, 2nd, & 3rd year players have never won a playoff game and that inexperience will hurt later. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

they wont even make the playoffs so i wouldnt worry much about it cassel will play this week and they arent going to lose to the Rams, titans or raiders.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

In Response to Re: Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats?:
     Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats? Because they'll beat New England in Foxboro this January. The Bolts only played 1 quarter in their previous matchup and still almost pulled it out. Also, your 1st, 2nd, & 3rd year players have never won a playoff game and that inexperience will hurt later. 
    Posted by jbolted

I wouldn't be so sure about that. There's a pretty good chance they play the AFC North winner if they even win in the first round.  They have a solid team that can put up points but you know the Ravens would come to play and we already know the Jets can take them down in SD!  They're beating up on bad teams (or one starting a bad qb) you shouldn't get overly excited

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

The Chargers nearly killed us when we faced them earlier on in the year. They gave the game away with all their stupid turnovers (leaving the ball on the floor before someone tagged them, throwing a behind pass and NOT picking it up when it hit the floor, fumbling) and we barely made an it out alive. They owned our offense, it may be because of the style of offense we ran when we faced them, but they are no easy out. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from neali. Show neali's posts

Jim Nance.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLY2K. Show FLY2K's posts

Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats? Because they'll beat New England in Foxboro this January. The Bolts only played 1 quarter in their previous matchup and still almost pulled it out. Also, your 1st, 2nd, & 3rd year players have never won a playoff game and that inexperience will hurt later. 
    Posted by jbolted

CHILD PLEASE!!!!

The Pats will be ready come January.

P.S. A loss is a loss no matter how many points are scored!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Love to see these prima donnas in the AFCC-they will melt like they always do-I just wish they would melt with the crybaby LT!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from foxboro1. Show foxboro1's posts

if the Jets lose out we could see both SD and KC in the playoffs and the mighty  Jets out

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Umm...because they are good and because most championship teams have an excellent quarterback. And because they play us tough usually. That enough reasons? Much prefer Kansas City make the playoffs instead if it's up to me. Having said that the Colts scare me more, don't care what their record is, though for different reasons.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker

I don't know about playing us tough. We're 5-3 v them over the past 10 years and overall we've won 67% of the times we've p[layed them. They seem to be yet another overrated team with a tradition of taking a nose dive at some point  during the season. They might have the worst coach in the NFL. 

They've been to one superbowl during their entire 50 years in existence, which they lost big time. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxpatsfan08. Show Soxpatsfan08's posts

if the Jets lose out we could see both SD and KC in the playoffs and the mighty  Jets out
    Posted by foxboro1

i want the jets in the playoffs so we can stomp them in the ground again!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReeGzUSMC. Show ReeGzUSMC's posts

I DONT CARE what ANYONE SAYS........Every year ESPN builds them up to be this late season powerhouse who will carry their momentum into the post season…And yet how many Super Bowl Appearances have they made???They are SOOOOO lucky they play in the Weak AS$ AFC West where they can afford to go 8-8 and make the playoffs, kuz that wouldn’t fly in the AFC East…BTW the Pats have Rivers's number in the post-season (06,07), so if they have to come here in January….oh well….

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LuvsThosePats. Show LuvsThosePats's posts

I watched part of the Chargers game last night.  It's hard to judge whether that team is any good based on that game because the 49ers were so awful.  Whew, were they BAD!  But I agree with the optimists here.  I don't think the Chargers have a chance against the Pats, the way we're playing these days.  It took them a half to score 17 points against a terrible team last night.  We scored 26 points in one quarter against the Bears!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Posted by jbolted

Yours aren't exactly playoff world-beaters either

In fact, I'd worry as long as Norv Turner was my coach.

Yes, Rivers, Matthews/Tolbert, Gates, VJackson, Floyd, and Nanee present matchup problems, but this Chargers group has a history of making dumb plays against good teams in key situations, which is why they'd be playing in Foxborough in January in the first place instead of at home.

Look, I understand their threat to the Patriots, but you'd be foolish to think they're going to play disciplined football ever under Norv Turner.  At most, you can hope they get it together for one or two games before reverting to old form.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LittleTimmy31. Show LittleTimmy31's posts

The Chargers are a good team but always seem to shoot themselves in the foot when it counts the most......in the playoffs.

Playing in NE in Jan when the temp barely makes 20 degrees will have these So. Cal boys ducking for cover! Pats Win!

Go Pats!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Posted by jbolted

You bring up a good point in that the Charges practically gave the game to the Pats earlier this year.  However, it seems as if you're assuming the Pats are the "same team," and they're not - they've much improved, especially on offense and the secondary, since that game so you wouldn't be playing the "same Pats."  I think Rivers is having a spectacular year, and the Chargers D can be tough, but supposed "tough" D's haven't done all that well lately against the Pats - just as Ravens, Jets, Miami, and Bears fans.  Yup, had a hiccup in Cleveland, as the Charges have had their hiccups, but I'm pretty confident we'd take the Chargers down in Foxboro come January - should be a good game.  GO PATS!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReeGzUSMC. Show ReeGzUSMC's posts

I watched part of the Chargers game last night.  It's hard to judge whether that team is any good based on that game because the 49ers were so awful.  Whew, were they BAD!  But I agree with the optimists here.  I don't think the Chargers have a chance against the Pats, the way we're playing these days.  It took them a half to score 17 points against a terrible team last night.  We scored 26 points in one quarter against the Bears!
    Posted by LuvsThosePats

Couldnt Agree More!! And everyone wants to talk about how we "escaped" the Chargers earlier this season...Well we also LOST to the BROWNS!!! so does that mean the Browns would beat us again? We had a sketchy start, but at least we didnt soil ourselves like the chargers did the first half of the season...Do we seriously need to go over the schedules, and quality of opponents??? For the most part, we are all Pats Fans here, so remember the teams we have beaten this year....cuz San Diego isnt the toughest, I dont care how "AWSOME" we all want to say Phillip Rivers is playing..

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats?:
    Watching the, yaawwwwwwnnnnn, Chargers v 49ers game and it made me wonder: Just why are folks putting a lot of thought into the Chargers being a potentially tough opponent for the Pats in the playoffs? Looking back at each team's last six games..  within which each team has a loss, just who have they played?  The Chargers have played against a vaunted line-up consisting of the Chiefs, Raiders (loss at home), Indy, Denver, Houston and Tennessee.  The Pats, on the other hand, have played the Bears, Jets, Detroit (on Turket Day, a day the Lions have a tendency to play well) Colts, Steelers and Browns (loss on the road).  I wonder, reverse the schedules and lets see what the Chargers record would be.  Hmmmmmm..   and the Chargers haven't exactly been feasting on a schedule of tough teams. 
    Posted by agcsbill

Since when does the regular season have any impact on the post season? Just admit that they are a dangerous team and that the first meeting was actually a give me. Like I always say, 'careful what you wish for'. Overlooked teams are the ones that beat you. Their stable of deep threats far outnumber the Pats and who's going to cover them all? You don't want to meet them in the PS. Much like the begrudging Ravens.

Sections
Shortcuts