Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats?

Power running, mostly from Tolbert. That said, I don't think anyone will be favored against us the rest of the year at the Razor. Any team that can keep Brady off the field has a remote chance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Re: Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats?

In Response to Re: Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats?:
    they wont even make the playoffs so i wouldnt worry much about it cassel will play this week and they arent going to lose to the Rams, titans or raiders.
    Posted by Soxpatsfan08

You better hope you're right. I'd be worried about facing them in the playoffs. They can go vertical on anyone. Yes, even the beloved Pats especially. Their D is still hovering near the bottom of the league. TB keeps them afloat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Re: Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats?:
    I watched part of the Chargers game last night.  It's hard to judge whether that team is any good based on that game because the 49ers were so awful.  Whew, were they BAD!  But I agree with the optimists here.  I don't think the Chargers have a chance against the Pats, the way we're playing these days.  It took them a half to score 17 points against a terrible team last night.  We scored 26 points in one quarter against the Bears!
    Posted by LuvsThosePats

Points mean nothing. Matchups do. It's like Ali vs. Frazier. Bears didn't matchup well with the Pats, which has nothing to do with the Bolts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Re: Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats? : Couldnt Agree More!! And everyone wants to talk about how we "escaped" the Chargers earlier this season...Well we also LOST to the BROWNS!!! so does that mean the Browns would beat us again? We had a sketchy start, but at least we didnt soil ourselves like the chargers did the first half of the season...Do we seriously need to go over the schedules, and quality of opponents??? For the most part, we are all Pats Fans here, so remember the teams we have beaten this year....cuz San Diego isnt the toughest, I dont care how "AWSOME" we all want to say Phillip Rivers is playing..
    Posted by ReeGzUSMC

Would that minimize or trivialize TB's performance this year. I care about the Lombardi not statistical comparisons. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The Chargers in Foxboro don't scare me in the least, their tall receivers will be bogged down in the snow and BB owns Rivers...  KC, Baltimore or the Jests are more likely to provide a challenge.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

You better hope you're right. I'd be worried about facing them in the playoffs. They can go vertical on anyone. Yes, even the beloved Pats especially. Their D is still hovering near the bottom of the league. TB keeps them afloat.

For the D to go from 31  or 32 in 2 weeks to 27 takes a lot of doing. Be like you have a 95 candlepin average and 3 weeks before the end of the reg season your average jumps to 100. takes a lot of pins.

By that reasoning I'll take the lot of pins vs fighting for your life every game to stay alive. Tell me something. Do you think the Chargers want to play the Pats or the Steelers?

What needs to be remembered is that the spoiler teams want to be just that. If the bengals have a chance to bounce anyone don't you think they want to try? These teams will play their butts off for a half. Throw every gadget play at you, double reverses, half back passes, flea flickers. They have nothing to lose. Let them hang around in the game of let em get a lead like the Browns and look out. the players don't care about what number draft pick they get, they want to be able to go home to their kids and family a winner. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats?:
    Watching the, yaawwwwwwnnnnn, Chargers v 49ers game and it made me wonder: Just why are folks putting a lot of thought into the Chargers being a potentially tough opponent for the Pats in the playoffs? Looking back at each team's last six games..  within which each team has a loss, just who have they played?  The Chargers have played against a vaunted line-up consisting of the Chiefs, Raiders (loss at home), Indy, Denver, Houston and Tennessee.  The Pats, on the other hand, have played the Bears, Jets, Detroit (on Turket Day, a day the Lions have a tendency to play well) Colts, Steelers and Browns (loss on the road).  I wonder, reverse the schedules and lets see what the Chargers record would be.  Hmmmmmm..   and the Chargers haven't exactly been feasting on a schedule of tough teams. 
    Posted by agcsbill

I have no idea.   They do this every year. They'l l start reading their press clippings again and then fold in the playoffs.

If they didn't start 2-5 every year they might be a #1 seed for once.  Their window has been slowly closing and will continue to close.

SD is not going vertical in January in Foxborough. The reason why SD doesn't match up well with NE, especially in Foxborough is because NE plays a lot of zone, and keeps that big play potential in front of them.

If SD was going to beat NE, it would have been before NE got their zone schemes figured out.

Now that NE can go back and forth in between zone and man, making it look like the same thing, Phillip Rivers cannot just sit back with play calls intended to slice the zone up.

Their run game is average at best and gameplanning against them is still the same.

Gates over the middle, Jackson on the flank.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats? : You better hope you're right. I'd be worried about facing them in the playoffs. They can go vertical on anyone. Yes, even the beloved Pats especially. Their D is still hovering near the bottom of the league. TB keeps them afloat.
    Posted by SNAZZYP

Umm, the Pats D won the game in SD for the Pats offense. That happened a lot in the first half of the year.  Now, both sides of the ball seem to be ascending.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats? Because they'll beat New England in Foxboro this January. The Bolts only played 1 quarter in their previous matchup and still almost pulled it out. Also, your 1st, 2nd, & 3rd year players have never won a playoff game and that inexperience will hurt later. 
    Posted by jbolted

Uhhh...Bolt...hate to  bust your bubble...but the Patriots are not the San Francisco 49ers or the Kansas City Chiefs. The Patriots' team now is greatly improved over the Pats' team you saw in October. Assuming that your lovables win the AFC West (which I think they will), they'll likely be seeded third in the AFC play-offs. That means they'll have a rematch with the Jets in San Diego...which I think they'll lose. Should they somehow get by the Jets, they'll face either the Pats or Steelers on the road. Good luck. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

If the chargers could beat us then arn't they the best team in football?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

One BIG difference with our run this year is that we don't have the undefeated cloud over our heads. This all plays into our hands now. Who we play, when we rest, what gadget plays we try before the playoffs. Tell me for one second that thats the last time you see the standing confusion play that the Browns pulled on us. Even though it was against us it was one of the best trick plays I've ever seen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CWNapoleon. Show CWNapoleon's posts

The Chargers nearly killed us when we faced them earlier on in the year. They gave the game away with all their stupid turnovers (leaving the ball on the floor before someone tagged them, throwing a behind pass and NOT picking it up when it hit the floor, fumbling) and we barely made an it out alive. They owned our offense, it may be because of the style of offense we ran when we faced them, but they are no easy out. 
    Posted by 49Patriots

Chargers are definitely scary, but keep in mind Pats did not play well that game either.  Pats did not take advantage of those turnovers very well.  Both teams are different.  If San Diego gets in, and if they play the Pats, it will be tough, but Pats still better.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

If not for a fortunate onside kick recovery, the Pats win by two scores.

+1, thumbs up, would you like to buy a vowel

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

There are plenty of good, even scary, teams in the NFL.  But who is playing better than the Patriots right now?  In their last five games, they have destroyed three division leaders.  Other teams should be worried about playing the Patriots. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leonard15. Show Leonard15's posts

I am just hoping KC wins out and the Jets win 2 of 3 and that will be the end of the Chargers as they won't get the opportunity to come to Foxboro. I'd prefer to play the Steelers, Jets, Ravens, Colts & Cheifs at some point during the playoffs over the Chargers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Any team with a lot of talent can get hot and is a potential threat. I doubt anyone thought Arizona was going to be 1 play away from winning the SB when the Pats annihilated them at Gillette. Ravens, Chargers, Steelers and Indy would all be threats because when they play their A game they have a high ceiling. Can't say that for the vast majority of teams in the league.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

You better hope you're right. I'd be worried about facing them in the playoffs. They can go vertical on anyone. Yes, even the beloved Pats especially. Their D is still hovering near the bottom of the league. TB keeps them afloat. For the D to go from 31  or 32 in 2 weeks to 27 takes a lot of doing. Be like you have a 95 candlepin average and 3 weeks before the end of the reg season your average jumps to 100. takes a lot of pins. By that reasoning I'll take the lot of pins vs fighting for your life every game to stay alive. Tell me something. Do you think the Chargers want to play the Pats or the Steelers? What needs to be remembered is that the spoiler teams want to be just that. If the bengals have a chance to bounce anyone don't you think they want to try? These teams will play their butts off for a half. Throw every gadget play at you, double reverses, half back passes, flea flickers. They have nothing to lose. Let them hang around in the game of let em get a lead like the Browns and look out. the players don't care about what number draft pick they get, they want to be able to go home to their kids and family a winner. 
    Posted by Philskiw

Our defense is ranked 17th not 27th... 

You don't lose games because you gave up a lot of yards.  Points per game is the only stat that matters, yards are for fantasy football.  We're also tied for 25th best in defensive penalties which is extremely good.  We're 2nd in the league with 20 interceptions and we're one of the better and improving red zone teams in the entire league.

The AFC Championship goes through Foxboro, it's near impossible to "go vertical" in 20 degrees below weather with snow everywhere, I'd rather have Welker, Branch et al than the 6'5" slow off the line Vincent Jackson any day. 

The sunny weather in San Diego provides some great highlights but this is playoff football in NE...  Pitt, NY, Baltimore these teams are more of a threat IMO.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats? : Our defense is ranked 17th not 27th...  You don't lose games because you gave up a lot of yards.  Points per game is the only stat that matters, yards are for fantasy football.  We're also tied for 25th best in defensive penalties which is extremely good.  We're 2nd in the league with 20 interceptions and we're one of the better and improving red zone teams in the entire league. The AFC Championship goes through Foxboro, it's near impossible to "go vertical" in 20 degrees below weather with snow everywhere, I'd rather have Welker, Branch et al than the 6'5" slow off the line Vincent Jackson any day.  The sunny weather in San Diego provides some great highlights but this is playoff football in NE...  Pitt, NY, Baltimore these teams are more of a threat IMO.
    Posted by wozzy

Factually and  logically very accurate.  ^^^^^

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

In Response to Re: Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats? :      Uhhh...Bolt...hate to  bust your bubble...but the Patriots are not the San Francisco 49ers or the Kansas City Chiefs. The Patriots' team now is greatly improved over the Pats' team you saw in October. Assuming that your lovables win the AFC West (which I think they will), they'll likely be seeded third in the AFC play-offs. That means they'll have a rematch with the Jets in San Diego...which I think they'll lose. Should they somehow get by the Jets, they'll face either the Pats or Steelers on the road. Good luck. 
    Posted by TexasPat3

Uhh Tex:
    The Chargers match up well against your inexperienced bunch. Until your team actually wins a post season game - which hasn't happened in 3 years- then I might think they will actually get to the AFCCG. Until then, aint buying the AFC east hype.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

In Response to Re: Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats? : Uhh Tex: The Chargers match up well against your inexperienced bunch. Until your team actually wins a post season game - which hasn't happened in 3 years- then I might think they will actually get to the AFCCG. Until then, aint buying the AFC east hype.
    Posted by jbolted

The Chagers have won one playoff game in that same timeframe, yet you think they're headed to the Superbowl.

How is that different?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from terminator-x. Show terminator-x's posts

The Chargers are a very talented team -- the AFC team most capable of beating the Pats in the playoffs. They can rush the QB with only four rushers and their offense can score with the Pats. They have three problems, however: (1) Norv Turner is not a good game coach and his teams tend to be undisciplined; (2) the Chargers play down to the level of their opponent (losing to Oakland twice?), which indicates a lack of preparation and leadership; and (3) they turn the ball over way too much.

The Pats would much rather face the Chiefs. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Re: Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats? : 8-6 playing one of the weakest schedule is nothing to crow about.   11-2 and pounding all the contenders is.  I was at the game in SD.  If not for a fortunate onside kick recovery, the Pats win by two scores.  The offense that played SD back then doesn't resemble the one beating better defenses than SD's now. And please don't come in with defense yardage ratings - just look at the power house offense you have faced
    Posted by Encinitas

And if not for the 2 lay downs by SD and the Pats probably don't win that game. If is a very big word.

Sections
Shortcuts