Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Re: Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats?

In Response to Re: Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats?:
    [QUOTE] Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats? Because they'll beat New England in Foxboro this January. The Bolts only played 1 quarter in their previous matchup and still almost pulled it out. Also, your 1st, 2nd, & 3rd year players have never won a playoff game and that inexperience will hurt later. 
    Posted by jbolted[/QUOTE]
    Have the Bolts PROVEN they can win in NE in January?  NOT!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

Re: Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats?

In Response to Re: Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats? : Uhh Tex: The Chargers match up well against your inexperienced bunch. Until your team actually wins a post season game - which hasn't happened in 3 years- then I might think they will actually get to the AFCCG. Until then, aint buying the AFC east hype.

Inexperienced bunch?  Compared to the Chargers?  How many Super Bowl MVPs do the Chargers have?  The Patriots have two.  Their coach has five Super Bowl rings.  How many Super Bowl rings do the Chargers (players and coaches) have in total?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Chargers rate pretty good in point differential.  I give them a 10.5 power rating.  They also accumulate yardage stats, which aren't at all as dependable as points in predicting future football games.

They are unlikely to show up in Foxboro early, first because they're behind in their division.  Second, if they win their division, they will only show up in Foxboro if they can be the #4 seed, not the #3 seed, if they can then beat Baltimore, and if the #6 seed doesn't beat the #3 seed.  That's a lot of ifs.  Otherwise they go to play #2 seed Pittsburgh after their wild card game.  I'm predicting a lot from three weeks off, but New England, Pitt and Baltimore appear somewhat set in the #1, #2 and #5 slots. 

Will San Diego get by Pitt?  It's fine by me, I don't care much.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats? : Uhh Tex: The Chargers match up well against your inexperienced bunch. Until your team actually wins a post season game - which hasn't happened in 3 years- then I might think they will actually get to the AFCCG. Until then, aint buying the AFC east hype.
    Jbolt... are you watching the same games we are and the teams the Pats have defeated versus the games your Bolts have played?  Come on...  Pats were up 23 - 3 in the 4th of the first game and went soft plus the on-side recovery.  The D is not the same one the Bolts faced back then nor is the offense.  What have you been smokin'?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gr82bme. Show gr82bme's posts

Well didn't the chargers bow out of the first round last year against the vaunted Jets?  If memory serves, we may have an inexperienced bunch, but your "experienced" Charges haven't exactly been ripping through the playoffs during the past few years have they.  Time will tell, but I wouldn't bet the farm on any Chargers team.  They'll find a way to do something dumb when they can least afford it at some point in the playoffs.  And just hope Rivers QB'ing can overcome Norv's playcalling - didn't happen last time we met.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In Response to Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats?:
    [QUOTE]Watching the, yaawwwwwwnnnnn, Chargers v 49ers game and it made me wonder: Just why are folks putting a lot of thought into the Chargers being a potentially tough opponent for the Pats in the playoffs? Looking back at each team's last six games..  within which each team has a loss, just who have they played?  The Chargers have played against a vaunted line-up consisting of the Chiefs, Raiders (loss at home), Indy, Denver, Houston and Tennessee.  The Pats, on the other hand, have played the Bears, Jets, Detroit (on Turket Day, a day the Lions have a tendency to play well) Colts, Steelers and Browns (loss on the road).  I wonder, reverse the schedules and lets see what the Chargers record would be.  Hmmmmmm..   and the Chargers haven't exactly been feasting on a schedule of tough teams. 
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

LOL, The Chargers? Did you say the Chargers? No way. They are pretenders, not contenders.

You pointed exactly why they are chumps, not champs

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LatenightOwl. Show LatenightOwl's posts

In Response to Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats?:
    [QUOTE]Watching the, yaawwwwwwnnnnn, Chargers v 49ers game and it made me wonder: Just why are folks putting a lot of thought into the Chargers being a potentially tough opponent for the Pats in the playoffs? Looking back at each team's last six games..  within which each team has a loss, just who have they played?  The Chargers have played against a vaunted line-up consisting of the Chiefs, Raiders (loss at home), Indy, Denver, Houston and Tennessee.  The Pats, on the other hand, have played the Bears, Jets, Detroit (on Turket Day, a day the Lions have a tendency to play well) Colts, Steelers and Browns (loss on the road).  I wonder, reverse the schedules and lets see what the Chargers record would be.  Hmmmmmm..   and the Chargers haven't exactly been feasting on a schedule of tough teams. 
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

with all due respect AGCSbill (and this is not directed at you per se):

Why do people play the schedule game?????
    Even more curious, why do you justify and qualify one schedule and not another?

Think about it..

1.The San Diego Chargers play the AFC South this year AND they play in the AFC West.. both divisions are pretty average.  And yet you fault them like a Notre Dame scheduling to play SW Colorado St or something. They play who they play. 

2. If you're a good team, aren't you supposed to win against lesser teams?? That's a basic concept to be an elite team. 

3. Chargers last 6 teams combined: 34-44 (5.67 win average)
    The Patriots last 6 teams combined: 43-35 (7.16 win average)

Patriots played 2 playoff teams, 2 fringe teams, 1 out of it, 1 dog
    Chargers played 2 fringe teams, 3 out of it, 1 dog.

The Patriots are the best team. Thats not even the point. The Chargers are playing solid football ath the right time.  We love to pump our Patriots as playing big during December, well guess what. They are too. And to think we barely beat them when the Pats weren't on all cylanders and San Diego gave away points, causes me some concern.  Rivers is a good QB and the Pats secondary has been average against the best QBs.  

To me it goes back to respecting the rest of the teams. You can like your odds with the Pats, but i bet you said the same thing last year playing Baltimore AT home in the playoffs too.   Gotta be careful. Nothing is guaranteed in 2010. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LatenightOwl. Show LatenightOwl's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats? : Factually and  logically very accurate.  ^^^^^
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Giving up a lot of yards come into play when you play a capable offensive team that can score quickly.

Not a coincidence that
    San Diego (1st in passing)
    Pittsburgh (18th in passing)
    Indianapolis (2nd in passing)

all made comebacks after big Patriot leads. 

Not a coincidence that
    Detroit (11th in passing)
    New York Jets (21st in passing)
    Chicago (26th in passing)

Could mot make a push because their pass offense was not capable.  With Detroit, they were playing a back up and lets face it, a losing team of the 6 mentioned. BUT they were competitive for 3 quarters because they were passing well.

San Diego must be respected as a potential playoff team. Advantage Patriots for playing here. But then again, they weren't supposed to lose to Baltimore last year either.   I take nothing for granted in 2010. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

You're talking smack about the postseason? For a team that has never won a SB and made it past the conference championship  exactly once in their  entire 50 year existence?

That's the definition of delusional.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why do so many think the Chargers present a potential roadblock to the Pats? : Giving up a lot of yards come into play when you play a capable offensive team that can score quickly. Not a coincidence that San Diego (1st in passing) Pittsburgh (18th in passing) Indianapolis (2nd in passing) all made comebacks after big Patriot leads.  Not a coincidence that Detroit (11th in passing) New York Jets (21st in passing) Chicago (26th in passing) Could mot make a push because their pass offense was not capable.  With Detroit, they were playing a back up and lets face it, a losing team of the 6 mentioned. BUT they were competitive for 3 quarters because they were passing well. San Diego must be respected as a potential playoff team. Advantage Patriots for playing here. But then again, they weren't supposed to lose to Baltimore last year either.   I take nothing for granted in 2010. 
    Posted by LatenightOwl[/QUOTE]

Every year is different; personnel wise we are substantially better than last season, all those teams you listed lost by the way, after BB builds a big lead he lets the defense fall back and play a variation of prevent defense.  They always seem to clamp up in the red zone though...

Nobody is a pushover in the playoffs but to say the Bolts are scarier than Steelers, Ravens, Jets or maybe even the Chiefs is off...  two words; Norv Turner. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

They are used to watching the Chargers play a vertical game in sunny conditions, which they play beautifully.

But when (or if) they come to New England in January, with snow and wind and suspect footing, that vertical passing game will be their undoing.

SD is a regular season nightmare matchup; they are a post-season dream.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Latenight...  it is not about disrespecting the teams on your schedule..you got to play what is put there.  It is amusing for Jbolt, and other Bolts supporters, who view their current uptick in performance and coming back to life as a sign they are a good team.  Yes, they are a good team, but who did they prove it against?  I believe SD has to go on the road and play a good team in bad weather to see if they are for real.  Have we heard in any pre-game shows lately describe the next SD game as a challenge to them while the Pats have had their games described as challenges?  It is very easy to have a cupcake schedule in which 4 of your last six games are at home, sunny San Diego, and your 2 road games are in domes.  Could SD have done what the Pats have in the weather versus the Bears, Jets and Steelers? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

the Chargers need to get to the second round of the playoffs before any of this matters. Now they got the easy part done tellin us about it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

Well, Rivers is probably the best young QB. I'll take him over E Manning and Ben any day of the week. They have monster WR and probably the best TE in the business. Top 5 D as well. In terms of pure god given talent, they are probably the best team. The only issue is that they make bone headed plays sometimes and kill their chances. A tema that has P Manning looking like Shaun Hill deserves to be feared, especially in the playoffs.

Sections
Shortcuts