Why do the Patriots Defense let teams come back?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RANDIBUS81. Show RANDIBUS81's posts

Why do the Patriots Defense let teams come back?

They need to learn to put teams away on D.
    Even in the steelers game they still gave up alot of points.
    Hats off to them for beating the Colts.
    We need to play better D....Period.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

Re: Why do the Patriots Defense let teams come back?

In Response to Why do the Patriots Defense let teams come back?:
    They need to learn to put teams away on D. Even in the steelers game they still gave up alot of points. Hats off to them for beating the Colts. We need to play better D....Period.
    Posted by RANDIBUS81

Could it POSSIBLY be because of the number of rookies and 2nd year players playing there? Can it be that they are still learning to play with each other as a team? Can it be because the Pats weren't able to draft you out of Hindsight U
    , thereby missing out on your stellar and All World athletic abilities and all around play????

I go with options 1 & 2.

Back to Nintendo.... quietly..... for you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

a combination of a young team, and the coaching staff.

where is romeo crennell? oh yeah i forgot the best coordinators in patriots history ended up in KC

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

Scheme.  Its scheme on both offense and defense.  Lets face it, we kept handing them back the ball and saying "dare you to score!"  I think the d is good, but some philosophy issues are interfering when we get a lead.  See the Steelers game for more evidence of this.  Oh, well.  Maybe we learned this time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

I don't think there was a need to jump on the guy, AZPAT.  All Patriots fans have to be frustrated that the defense, while we all know is young, cannot seem to hold onto a big lead.  The play calling by BB/Patricia could be a reason.  They don't bring much pressure when leading by a good amount which allows a great offensive team like the Colts to come back.  But yeah these guys are young and are growing as they play on the field.  I'll say one thing, stopping Manning like that at the end will give the young defense a ton of confidence going forward.  Like the Jets lately, the Patriots find ways to win.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fancy-shamanski. Show fancy-shamanski's posts

The D needs to play better late in games.
    But they always manage to hold on.  They play too soft when they have a big lead.  They need to stop that and be more aggressive.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 3SB-rings. Show 3SB-rings's posts

Why not blame the offense for not being able to make first downs and take time off the clock? Comes the 4th quarter and they can't move the ball or score. Where was Brady's "fire" today? Didn't this game matter to him? Did he think the other guys didn't have to be perfect every play today like he demanded against Pitt?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: Why do the Patriots Defense let teams come back?:
    The D needs to play better late in games. But they always manage to hold on.  They play too soft when they have a big lead.  They need to stop that and be more aggressive.
    Posted by fancy-shamanski

it is coaching and/or on-field leadership. imo that game should not have finsihed that close.

definitely, the pressure upfront disappears when they are leading.

however, so does the offense. conceptually, it was the correct decision to keep running the ball in the late minutes of the game. for some reason, the holes that the off line opened up early, would not open anymore.and pass protection also becomes more porous. i don't know if the off line gets tired.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Bend but don't break sometimes will break more often w/ guys like Peyton Manning.

As much as some Patriot fans don't like him, he's a good quarterback.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Before you all whine about the D in the 4th remember the offense held the ball less than 5 minutes.After all this is Manning and you can't keep giving him the ball right back and allow him to get a good rhythm going.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Before you all whine about the D in the 4th remember the offense held the ball less than 5 minutes.After all this is Manning and you can't keep giving him the ball right back and allow him to get a good rhythm going.
    Posted by Evil2010

that's what i was saying. both sides of the ball take their feet off the pedal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

The Good News - the Pats won. 

The Bad News - the coaching staff will take PM's interceptions as proof positive that their strategy of bend don't break and let opponents beat themselves though turnovers - works. 

The Good News - makes every Pats game dang exciting.

Maybe BB is not having to show future (playoff) opponents everything this defense can bring? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_483130. Show user_483130's posts

At least the time of possession was even. I though the D played well in the first half against Ptt and Indy, they can't seem to keep it up for 4 qtrs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

In Response to Why do the Patriots Defense let teams come back? : Could it POSSIBLY be because of the number of rookies and 2nd year players playing there? Can it be that they are still learning to play with each other as a team? Can it be because the Pats weren't able to draft you out of Hindsight U , thereby missing out on your stellar and All World athletic abilities and all around play???? I go with options 1 & 2. Back to Nintendo.... quietly..... for you.
    Posted by AZPAT

You don't need to be mean if you disagree.  It was a fair question.  Possibly you are wrong, also.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

In Response to Why do the Patriots Defense let teams come back? : Could it POSSIBLY be because of the number of rookies and 2nd year players playing there? Can it be that they are still learning to play with each other as a team? Can it be because the Pats weren't able to draft you out of Hindsight U , thereby missing out on your stellar and All World athletic abilities and all around play???? I go with options 1 & 2. Back to Nintendo.... quietly..... for you.
    Posted by AZPAT

Youth does not account for all of it, AZPAT.  Two TDs, yeah, okay.  But not that close.

The excuse of the young, inexperienced D is becoming just that:  an excuse.  There's about 4 other contenders out there right now whose base D is young.  Pats aren't the only team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RANDIBUS81. Show RANDIBUS81's posts

I hear what you all are saying.  It just seems odd when we get a big lead that we play worse on both sides of the ball.   I am postive about the young D but at the same time we dont have any solid veteran's on D in witch opposing teams fear.
    Looking at the stats this is the worst D the Patriots have ever had.   Proud that  they are 8-2.   I think we were all used to the 2001-2004 era D and kinda spoiled.
    Hope they blow the Lions out of the water.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

They are young and don't know how to close. If you look at their play, they are a lot more consistent than they were in week 1, week 2, and so forth. They are getting better and if they can get Bodden back next year and get a pass rusher, they will be a top 5 defense.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NHSOUTH. Show NHSOUTH's posts

Really, really really tired of the Pats D suqing so hard every 4th quarter. 

Enough, this team cannot play defense in the second half. 

Its gotta be fixed, this is a joke. Secondary from HELL.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

At least the time of possession was even. I though the D played well in the first half against Ptt and Indy, they can't seem to keep it up for 4 qtrs.
    Posted by OldDomPats

Only because we had the ball for so long in the 1st half.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

The Good News - the Pats won.  The Bad News - the coaching staff will take PM's interceptions as proof positive that their strategy of bend don't break and let opponents beat themselves though turnovers - works.  The Good News - makes every Pats game dang exciting. Maybe BB is not having to show future (playoff) opponents everything this defense can bring? 
    Posted by expertmike

8-2 with the youngest defense giving up buckets of passing yards? I'll take bend don't break. Last year they kept breaking.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

I think this young defense has certainly played an active role in our victories, but there is a legitimate issue with how both the offense and defense becomes soft when we get large leads. I know they recognize this and I am sure they will try to correct it. More likely than not the Patriots are already preparing for Detroit and not taking it lightly like the Browns game.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bergzilla. Show Bergzilla's posts

Why not blame the offense for not being able to make first downs and take time off the clock? Comes the 4th quarter and they can't move the ball or score. Where was Brady's "fire" today? Didn't this game matter to him? Did he think the other guys didn't have to be perfect every play today like he demanded against Pitt?
    Posted by 3SB-rings

BINGO! Pats O fizzled in the 4th. The only way to beat PM is to keep him off the field. He is too good not to score, esp on a young D.

My $0.02

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RANDIBUS81. Show RANDIBUS81's posts

How about Bend and BREAK Them lol. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Bad situational football on both sides of the ball. You can't just go three and out twice in the 4th quarter and expect Manning & Co. to not come back. Both against the Steelers and Colts we saw soft zones and prevents (which have yet to prevent anything). We look good for three quarters, but then we risk losing the game by playing bad situational football in the 4th. This has been my pet peeve all year. It's frustrating to watch and I feel the true measure of this team will be seen when we have to play great situational football in the 4th to come from behind instead of just barely  holding onto a lead. I also think BB may still have some plays on D that he is saving (maybe for the Jets and Packers or playoffs). You also can't completely discount the fact that this is a very young team which will be prone to making costly mistakes. The abscence of a sustained pass rush (Warren, Ty) does not help either.  This will be addressed in the off-season. People talk about the Colts injuries, but the Pats have learned to play without their (previously) best receiver (Moss) best CB (Bodden) and one of their best pass rushers (Ty Warren). If someone had told me that nearly half the team would be comprised of rookies or 2nd year players and we'd be 8-2 by week 11 Id've taken that record. We beat the Vikes, Colts, Steelers, Ravens and Chargers. All playoff teams last year. And all with a very young line-up in what can be considered a rebuilding year.

Sections
Shortcuts