Why do we even draft in the 2nd round anymore?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rf24fox. Show rf24fox's posts

Why do we even draft in the 2nd round anymore?

Terdell Sands, who's only been here for a week, gets the nod over Ron Brace.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Re: Why do we even draft in the 2nd round anymore?

rf- Take a breath!  This is his first week being inactive! Also he is a rookie!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

experience over inexperience probably

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Exactly Kansas,
    My guess is that they want an experienced backup for Wilfork in a game where you won't win with ONLY a good O.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rf24fox. Show rf24fox's posts

If Brace is only a rookie, then when Wilfork got injured last week why did Pryor step in for Vince? I'm not sure if he's been active the last three weeks, but I haven't seen him on the field at all.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Pats liked Pryor's experience in a college D, one similar to theirs.  I believe there was an articl about this.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Yea, we should just cut Darius Butler and Sebastian Vollmer.  Why even bother?  They barely contribute.

Plus Vollmer looks a little undersized for the tackle position...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rf24fox. Show rf24fox's posts

I know it's a little early, but I think Brace is 2nd round bust material. Keeping Wilfork is a must!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: Why do we even draft in the 2nd round anymore?:
    [QUOTE]I know it's a little early, but I think Brace is 2nd round bust material. Keeping Wilfork is a must!
    Posted by rf24fox[/QUOTE]
    What? Two games into his rookie season and you're ready to declare the man bust? FYI it takes 2+ years to develop a nose tackle, even to the base level of competency. Wilfork took the better part of 4 years to devlop into the dominating NT he is now. All the more reason to pay him and keep him here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The man makes a point. Its' imperative to the future of this team that the Pats' 2009 draft class pans out.

But, the allegation that the Pats' have failed miserably in round two doesn't seem to hold water. In 2002 with the selection of Deion Branch. Eugene Wilson and Bethel Johnson both helped the Pats win two championships...though they (especially Bethel), did not fully meet expectations. 

In 2004, they acquired Corey Dillon via trade of their 2nd round pick. In 2005, the Pats traded their second round pick to the Ravens, and, with the 3rd round pick acquired from Baltimore, selected CB Ellis Hobbs.

In 2006 is where the Pats crashed and burned. They gave up their 52nd and 75th selections that year to move up to #36, which they used to select big-time bust Chad Jackson. In 2007, they traded their second round pick to Miami for Wes Welker...while in 2008, they seem to have struck out with CB Terrence Wheatley.      

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

[QUOTE]Yea, we should just cut Darius Butler and Sebastian Vollmer.  Why even bother?  They barely contribute. Plus Vollmer looks a little undersized for the tackle position...
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]
    Have you actually seen Vollmer?  He is a beast of a man and filled in for Matt Light for a couple plays against Buffalo.  He is a back up OT for the Pats this year, so don't expect to see much of him unless there's an injury.  As for Butler he started out 4th on the depth chart because of the number of quality CB's the Pats have 9Springs, Bodden, Wilhite)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

And Butler just saved a touchdown.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

He had solid coverage on that play too.  And great technique going between the receivers hands to jar the ball loose.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

I see where both sides are coming from here.  Way to early to say Brace is a bust...the kid's a 3 game rookie here, with a vet-deep, and on a playoff contender team that plays (mainly) a 3-4, where that NT prescence eating up a couple of the O-Lineman is so critical for another defensive guy or 2 to be free.  And besides, we're talking backup NT here, maybe BB just wants to see what he has in Terdell Sands, who besides, I'm told by Insider Info, said He'd "...Simply 'squash' anyone today that gets in the way of him, the Football Field, and the complimentary smorgasbord after the game, that comes along for those that played."  

~Oddly enough, and on the otherhand, I was just discussing what the first poster contends with somebody...  Now, I don't know IF this argument holds any water, BUT it does and has seemed to me that Belichick's drafting in those mid rds, say 2-4 (maybe even 5th rd as well)...ummm, sux.  I mean, IF it's true, These should hope to be important high-rd pickups that One centers a mass of decent quality core guys on one's team around.  I'm NOT counting trades, I'm talking just Rookie Evaluation of talent and skill.  Again, BB always seems to just about nail that first pick, then He subsequently seems to find a couple of excellent gems in those 6th and 7th rders, BUT it's those early to mid-rd guys, who are mainly huge "reaches" skill-wise over the other possible draftees still on the board at the time... Again, Not sure IF my argument is true, But i sure in the heck appears that way...

Thoughts ANYONE?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikec645. Show mikec645's posts

I hate fans like this.  Remember all the people that laughed at Houston for taking Williams over Bush?  Williams had a bad first year but I'm pretty sure they are happy with their pick.  People need to relax, you gotta wait a few years before deciding someone is a bust.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghilliespotto. Show ghilliespotto's posts

Hey Nick, still think we should cut the guy who broke up two touchdowns and had another great play on the the last drive? Please remove sock and insert foot in mouth.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I heard Butler's name called today, in a good sense.  I heard Vollmer's name called, when he had correctly checked in as an eligible receiver on a fourth down play. (note:  Vollmer was a tight end in college so watch out someday!  Big huge touchdown target being covered by a shrimpy cornerback?  Big huge fullback too, just for fun.)

Brace is at least a slow learner.  He didn't work out at all versus the Jets.  But after that, yes, all sorts of people have a great amount of experience over Brace.  Terdell Sands is something like a six year veteran (let's all be polite and say thank you, Al Davis!)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from R3S1N20. Show R3S1N20's posts

On the guy who said volmer is undersized, what in the world is this guy smoking it has to be really good. have u seen this guy, if 6-8 315 is small for an offensive tackle. what do you consider a big offensive tackle???? and on darius butler, y should we cut him, were u watching a different game, did i not see butler make 2 or 3 really good  plays . think ur statement over and then revise it..ok

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why do we even draft in the 2nd round anymore? : Have you actually seen Vollmer?  He is a beast of a man and filled in for Matt Light for a couple plays against Buffalo.  He is a back up OT for the Pats this year, so don't expect to see much of him unless there's an injury.  As for Butler he started out 4th on the depth chart because of the number of quality CB's the Pats have 9Springs, Bodden, Wilhite)
    Posted by RahZid[/QUOTE]

I was being sarcastic.  Vollmer is 6'9" and 320+, and I think he's the left tackle of the future.  Darius Butler will be a shutdown corner someday.

And if you think Brace is a bust already, I'd love to see the crystal ball you're using.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]On the guy who said volmer is undersized, what in the world is this guy smoking it has to be really good. have u seen this guy, if 6-8 315 is small for an offensive tackle. what do you consider a big offensive tackle???? and on darius butler, y should we cut him, were u watching a different game, did i not see butler make 2 or 3 really good  plays . think ur statement over and then revise it..ok
    Posted by R3S1N20[/QUOTE]

Or take a joke and go back to your Red Sox boards, RSN

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Hey Nick, still think we should cut the guy who broke up two touchdowns and had another great play on the the last drive? Please remove sock and insert foot in mouth.
    Posted by ghilliespotto[/QUOTE]

You idiots.  It's called sarcasm.

Vollmer is already a staple of the Patriots short yardage offense as a third tight end and blocker.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from One-If-By-Sea. Show One-If-By-Sea's posts

[QUOTE]On the guy who said volmer is undersized, what in the world is this guy smoking it has to be really good. have u seen this guy, if 6-8 315 is small for an offensive tackle. what do you consider a big offensive tackle???? and on darius butler, y should we cut him, were u watching a different game, did i not see butler make 2 or 3 really good  plays . think ur statement over and then revise it..ok
    Posted by R3S1N20[/QUOTE]

At 6'8" I am sure it is sarcasm.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

These are the same people who wanted to cut Cassel last year because he was a bust. Assante Samuels didn't exactly light up the NFL his first year either. It takes time to learn and develope.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBAZ22. Show DBAZ22's posts

Why did they keep Brady and trade Cassel???

Sections
Shortcuts