Why does BB forgive Brady's interceptions but bench Ridley for fumbling?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Why does BB forgive Brady's interceptions but bench Ridley for fumbling?

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Brady's 2 picks in the 05 Denver game, in Denver and his picks against Indy in 06 were just as painful, perhaps more so, than any fumble.

The 3 fumbles we lost in that Denver game were even worse than Brady's INTs. Almost always when Brady doesn't play well; nobody is playing well.

Brady averages .7 INTs per game over his career. So his 1 INT at Indy in '06 isn't some kind of horrible day.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Yeah Babe because the winner of games is decided by career stats.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

It's clearly different when you have a stable of RBs (Vereen, Blount, Bolden) you can use to pick up yardage than putting in a back-up QB because Brady is not playing well. My guess is that as little confidence as Belichick had in Ridley after he fumbled he might have even less in trotting out Mallet as his QB in the 3rd or 4th quarter of a game. INTs happen for alot of reasons (WR ran the wrong route, DBs played the ball perfectly, pass rush meant forcing the ball into tight spot etc...). Also there is trite observation that BB has won some games with Brady as his QB and putting your back-up in after an INT does not solve anything and in fact might only serve to exacerbate the situation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to SLGDEV's comment:

What I can't believe is that prior to my response there were 71 (yes, SEVENTY ONE) responses to this idiotic thread.  To the OP, how did you come up with such a lame-brained question?  I guess the number 71 must also have another meaning when it comes to you.

As Einstein once said, "The important thing is not to stop questioning.  Curiousity has its own reason for existing."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

Kurt Warner to Tom Brady: "Being the best doesn't mean you win every time, it just means you win more then anyone else."

Pats fans over the last 13 years have been treated to more victories then any other team, largely because of Tom Brady.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Not all interceptions are his fault (running wrong route for ex) but all fumbles are Ridleys fault even the one he got knovked out before he hit the ground in the playoffs two seasons ago. I don't think he should get benched all the time for it though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

I guess it's a good question, If you would simply pose it in a theoretical sense.

Brady had 628 attempts with 11 INTs + 6 fumbles (25 TDs...not TB's best year-taken together, a regression since pre 2007).

Ridley had 178 touches and 4 fumbles.

The RB gets hit a whole heckuvalot more...especially a power style RB like Ridley, and a power style bigger back is 1 that best compliments NE's zone-blocking scheme.  An INT has more room for err...more often than not a pass is either caught or simply deflected, gotta figure in all probability, an actual "catch" by an opposing player who's not the actual target of a pass, is a tougher occurence to actually happen (theoretically speaking...even the perfect storm of a perfectly high arcked deflection + a perfectly positioned and uncontested by an offensive eligible defender catch). 

Idk... I guess the conclusion might be that a "game-manager" works better all alone and uncontested.  -Think the Eason/Grogan mess of the 1985 SB (and yet a RB needs to have a feel and his confidence too...so ierunno???).

Brady's cuter....that'll make NEGAME happy-  there's your answer, and that's that. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to FishTaco64's comment:

Kurt Warner to Tom Brady: "Being the best doesn't mean you win every time, it just means you win more then anyone else."

Pats fans over the last 13 years have been treated to more victories then any other team, largely because of Tom Brady.

You won't get anywhere replying intelligently to glenr. It's just not her thing.

Even a fool can figure out that likening one of if not the best career average for INTs per game to the results of a particular game is on the money analysis. But poor glenr can't even rise to the level of most fools.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

+1

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

Hmm, I don't think the play calling of the bronco game was the problem. I have thought it was the Oline , definitely the run and some pass, along with the injuries on D that was the problem

I f you were trying yo make a point Pro, I admit it went right over my head ,lol

You are RIGHT about the Denver game... and this is the general issue... our O line (whether due to injuries or talent or both) gets overmatched against either the run D or pass rush when they play big games against superior fronts.

Last year Center was the weakest link. But RG was a somewhat weak link and being next to the weakest link it showed even more. Plus having RT injured (though replaced decently) showed up. ANd to top it off the ONLY real blocking TE on the team was injured Gronk. Hooman tries hard but is noticably below average. He is a good all around THIRD TE (I dont think he is good enough at blocking or receiving to warrant second string status).

In our two lat SBs we were dangerously bad at pass blocking and not strong enough in run blocking to make up for it. In the AFC champ game v Denver it was the same thing.

So we NEED better play at center. Will Wendell have a better year? I dont see why. Same with Connolly. And I only hope we upgrade our "other" TE well enough in both blocking and receiving.

If we build a first line D but tread water on the O line we might start to see some playoff games verse good D where we win (hopefully) 10-7 or 12-9 !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

Hmm, I don't think the play calling of the bronco game was the problem. I have thought it was the Oline , definitely the run and some pass, along with the injuries on D that was the problem

I f you were trying yo make a point Pro, I admit it went right over my head ,lol

You are RIGHT about the Denver game... and this is the general issue... our O line (whether due to injuries or talent or both) gets overmatched against either the run D or pass rush when they play big games against superior fronts.

Last year Center was the weakest link. But RG was a somewhat weak link and being next to the weakest link it showed even more. Plus having RT injured (though replaced decently) showed up. ANd to top it off the ONLY real blocking TE on the team was injured Gronk. Hooman tries hard but is noticably below average. He is a good all around THIRD TE (I dont think he is good enough at blocking or receiving to warrant second string status).

In our two lat SBs we were dangerously bad at pass blocking and not strong enough in run blocking to make up for it. In the AFC champ game v Denver it was the same thing.

So we NEED better play at center. Will Wendell have a better year? I dont see why. Same with Connolly. And I only hope we upgrade our "other" TE well enough in both blocking and receiving.

If we build a first line D but tread water on the O line we might start to see some playoff games verse good D where we win (hopefully) 10-7 or 12-9 !

O line play is notoriously hard to judge if you don't know what all the assignments are, but I tend to agree that the O line has been a bigger issue than people tend to think.  The media and many fans believe the Pats' O line is one of the best, but I think it is more average, and not always consistent. I think Brady's good decision making and pocket awareness has made the pass blocking look better than it is.  And the run blocking is only adequate.  One thing I noticed last year was the problems our line had with backside pursuit in stretch plays.  It seemed to me that LBs and DLs were able to penetrate the gaps between blockers as the blockers moved laterally fairly easily.  That led to stuffed runs and also to sacks on play action.  It would be interesting to see if others noticed this as well, or if I am off base.  Sometimes, you see something once or twice and assume it's more general than it really is, so maybe I'm exaggerating the impact.  But I do remember several stretch plays that went badly, both in the run and in play action.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

The media and many fans believe the Pats' O line is one of the best

That's because it is.  Last year was a down year for a number of reasons.  Wendell played much worse, SeaBass was injured and Brady had to hold the ball a lot more while guys were learning the offense.  But to deny that the Patriots have had a great offensive line in seasons past is wrong imo.  I've seen enough line play on other teams to know that the Patriots have a good line.  Calling them average is doing them a disservice.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

That's because it is.  Last year was a down year for a number of reasons.  Wendell played much worse, SeaBass was injured and Brady had to hold the ball a lot more while guys were learning the offense.  But to deny that the Patriots have had a great offensive line in seasons past is wrong imo.  I've seen enough line play on other teams to know that the Patriots have a good line.  Calling them average is doing them a disservice.

Good is average....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

You won't get anywhere replying intelligently to glenr. It's just not her thing.

Even a fool can figure out that likening one of if not the best career average for INTs per game to the results of a particular game is on the money analysis. But poor glenr can't even rise to the level of most fools.

Once again Babe the phony Christian and bandwagon Pats fan waves her huge ego around. How many SBs have been won lately? Your 'I love Brady so lets throw every play' stratergy has netted 0 Lombardi trophys

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Good is average....

Well it wasnt at bad as Miamis but shouldnt it be better? We had Scar and Miami had two guys fighting on the line and playing together. That represents the worse. A team like the Ravens or 9ers represents being very good, we are somewhere in between so I agree its average. Sure Brady had been pretty good in terms of sacks taken before last year but a lot of it was due to his quick release and never throwing downfield. When we finally tried to use playaction again last year, Brady got sacked a lot while he waited for guys to get open downfield. So if you think blocking for 2 seconds so Brady can hit Wes for 5 yards is Great than fine but to me, to call yourself Above Average, you ATLEAST have to be able to Run Block which doesnt require much skill. For the past 5 to 6 years this line has NOT been able to get the tough yards when needed and thats mainly why he havent won anything.

I agree, for years this line was been touted as great but WHY? A group of cast offs in Joe Andruzzi(undrafted), Mike Compton who I think retired and was asked to return. Damien Woody, a 2nd year guy who couldnt shotgun snap, causing us to move around when Brady was in the gun, Greg Robinson Randall who played admirably and a rookie Matt Light. These Guys were able to get the tough yards with some really no name backs like A.Smith, JR redmond and P.Pass.

I dont care what our line does regular season. If you talk about playoffs, they have actually been Dominated for the most part, causing Brady to look very human....smh

Fans overate a lot on this board and the Line is one of them. They need to get bigger and nastier.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Good is average....

Well it wasnt at bad as Miamis but shouldnt it be better? We had Scar and Miami had two guys fighting on the line and playing together. That represents the worse. A team like the Ravens or 9ers represents being very good, we are somewhere in between so I agree its average. Sure Brady had been pretty good in terms of sacks taken before last year but a lot of it was due to his quick release and never throwing downfield. When we finally tried to use playaction again last year, Brady got sacked a lot while he waited for guys to get open downfield. So if you think blocking for 2 seconds so Brady can hit Wes for 5 yards is Great than fine but to me, to call yourself Above Average, you ATLEAST have to be able to Run Block which doesnt require much skill. For the past 5 to 6 years this line has NOT been able to get the tough yards when needed and thats mainly why he havent won anything.

I agree, for years this line was been touted as great but WHY? A group of cast offs in Joe Andruzzi(undrafted), Mike Compton who I think retired and was asked to return. Damien Woody, a 2nd year guy who couldnt shotgun snap, causing us to move around when Brady was in the gun, Greg Robinson Randall who played admirably and a rookie Matt Light. These Guys were able to get the tough yards with some really no name backs like A.Smith, JR redmond and P.Pass.

I dont care what our line does regular season. If you talk about playoffs, they have actually been Dominated for the most part, causing Brady to look very human....smh

Fans overate a lot on this board and the Line is one of them. They need to get bigger and nastier.

I agree 100%

1. Yes it was tough to lose Sea Bass.

2. I defended Mankins during his last contract dust up. In hindsight is it fair to say that Mankins has not played up to the level of his contract and is in fact on the down side?

3. Wendell....was an issue all year long, he's simply too small.

4. Am I wrong in saying Solder has not developed into a premier Tackle yet?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Good is average....

I agree 100%

1. Yes it was tough to lose Sea Bass.

2. I defended Mankins during his last contract dust up. In hindsight is it fair to say that Mankins has not played up to the level of his contract and is in fact on the down side?

3. Wendell....was an issue all year long, he's simply too small.

4. Am I wrong in saying Solder has not developed into a premier Tackle yet?

Solder and Vollmer are the Studs now for sure. Logan is still good in the run game but nearly as dominant as he was his first 2 years. Solder at times dominated his opponent last year but still had too many mental lapses for me to call him Elite but he CAN be. I am hoping he puts it all together next year. Wendell had his moments but was on the wrong side of the line too much for me. In terms of running the ball, to me you have to be stout inside. Logan will do just fine if he has a Very good C who doesnt require help and I want to see Cannon keep playing RG, as he has some size atleast and could maul guys if given the chance I think. Vollmer has always been an injury concern but WHEN healthy is very good. So, I advocate to get a big C to replace Wendell no later than the 4th. and also get a pretty good G to groom and replace Logie in 2 years.

Ive been calling for them to get bigger on the line for a while. We have size at Tackle, but we need to get bigger inside or the homers will be wailing again after another postseason gm of 40 plus passes. (if you didnt notice, BB adandons the run for good reason) Blounts stat line vs Denver -5 carries,6 yards. How many times can you run for zero or negative yardage in do or die games before you scrap it and put the ball in your HOF'ers hands?  I say 5 is about enough.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Interesting question, huh? Why the apparent double standard? 

I have my theories, but I'll let others answer first.  One hint:  I think it's more about offensive strategy and what the running and passing games are supposed to do in that strategy than it is about the players.

because one is named Steven Ridley and one is named Tom Brady

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I have my theories, but I'll let others answer first.  One hint:  I think it's more about offensive strategy and what the running and passing games are supposed to do in that strategy than it is about the players.

Because Tom Brady holds the all-time NFL record for most consecutive pass attempts without an interception, 358 in 2010-2011.  Next, Brady holds the NFL record of most pass attempts without an interception to start a career, 168. 

You don't criticize Brady for throwing interceptions.  Instead, you practically have to beg him to take a few more risks with the football.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

Hard to say really.  But there is a good chance that it's because your mother is a who oar.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:

Hard to say really.  But there is a good chance that it's because your mother is a who oar.

Next to this:

"Yeah Babe because the winner of games is decided by career stats."

I'm very confused by the veracity of any thing else on this thread thus far...the rest is just mayhem.   Needless to say, the above 2 quotes?  =Equally fair and objective in their overall conclusions.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:

Say.....this would be a really good place for the new mods to start eh.......

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Wrong-its because one has ONE job -- to run the football for 3+ yards every time he touches it and not fumble--while the other one throws the ball to a plethora of WR/TE/RBs about 30 times a game and has actually won more games for the Pats than ANY other player on the team doing so! Now go to a Giants message board already!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

WHen Ridley has an undeniable fumbling problem at the end of 2011...and then comes into 2012 and IMMEDIATELY shows it hasn't been fixed...then goes part of 2013 before it crops back up in 3 STRAIGHT games...his benching is at least justified, if not overdue. If he wasn't SO talented, he'd probably be gone, or buried on the depth chart.

A certain amount of INTs come with the territory. No QB EVER goes a season without throwing half a dozen or more. RBs go full seasons with minimal fumbling issues, some never have any, BJGE comes to mind during his time in NE.

Then there's all the practice work we don't see. Getting guys, like Ridley, to correct problems. Then game time comes, and that practice goes out the window, and he falls back on bad habits...what other choice is there?

It does seem pretty obvious to me...now I guess I'll go back and see what 98 other posts think...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Bradysgirlforreal's comment:

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Wrong-its because one has ONE job -- to run the football for 3+ yards every time he touches it and not fumble--while the other one throws the ball to a plethora of WR/TE/RBs about 30 times a game and has actually won more games for the Pats than ANY other player on the team doing so! Now go to a Giants message board already!!!

reread what I wrote...and realize we are on the SAME SIDE...u misunderstood that I meant one has a HOF resume and the other is a standard RB and hasn't won anything which means one has earned large lattitude and benefits of the doubt and the other isn't in the same galaxy

now that u realize how wrong u were can I stay?

Sections
Shortcuts