Why does BenJarvus Green-Ellis not play???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from superfxb. Show superfxb's posts

Re: Why does BenJarvus Green-Ellis not play???

In Response to Why does BenJarvus Green-Ellis not play???:
    [QUOTE]I think BenJarvus Green-Ellis is arguably, the TOUGHEST running back on the squad and deserves a lot of playing time. I remember early last season when Brady went down and we had so many RBs hurt, McDaniels and BB did not want Cassell throwing the ball at all so they decided to pound it with this guy and he did great. He's a tough runner and makes his decision to hit a hole fast. When he runs, I always hear helmets smacking and never falls backwards when he gets hit. Even in pre-season (though againt non-starters), ran all over the Giants. If I had to give the ball on 4th and 1 to any rusher on that team, I would give it to him because he always gains positive yards. Left, Middle, Right...he averages 4-5 yards on every carry. So my question is, why in the world does this guy not get playing time? I'm beginning the feel like most of the team's issues are being blamed on the players but the real issue is the coaching. Call me crazy but anybody that has paid close attention everytime he gets on the field definitely knows that he's better than Maroney and Sammy Morris. The list should be: 1) Fred Taylor 2) BenJarvus Green-Ellis 3) Faulk 4) Sammy Morris
    Posted by illmind[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from superfxb. Show superfxb's posts

[QUOTE]I think BenJarvus Green-Ellis is arguably, the TOUGHEST running back on the squad and deserves a lot of playing time. I remember early last season when Brady went down and we had so many RBs hurt, McDaniels and BB did not want Cassell throwing the ball at all so they decided to pound it with this guy and he did great. He's a tough runner and makes his decision to hit a hole fast. When he runs, I always hear helmets smacking and never falls backwards when he gets hit. Even in pre-season (though againt non-starters), ran all over the Giants. If I had to give the ball on 4th and 1 to any rusher on that team, I would give it to him because he always gains positive yards. Left, Middle, Right...he averages 4-5 yards on every carry. So my question is, why in the world does this guy not get playing time? I'm beginning the feel like most of the team's issues are being blamed on the players but the real issue is the coaching. Call me crazy but anybody that has paid close attention everytime he gets on the field definitely knows that he's better than Maroney and Sammy Morris. The list should be: 1) Fred Taylor 2) BenJarvus Green-Ellis 3) Faulk 4) Sammy Morris
    I was wondering the same thing and I looked up last years stats. Faulk had 6.1 yds/rush Jordan had 4.5 and morris had 4.6 Green-Ellis had 3.7. Not sure if that has any weight or not

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeedBru54. Show NeedBru54's posts

I totally agree.
    I think he is the future RB for the Patriots!
    Get rid of Maroney and give the kid his shot!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sveltics. Show Sveltics's posts

Because his name wont fit in the ESPN boxscore. Thats why.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

1) It's not just about BJGE, it's also about roster management. If we go with BJGE now, it's essentially telling Morris and Taylor that we give up on them, because both have one year contracts.

2) Maroney has been the subject of a lot of controversy over his dancing style, however there are two things going in his favor: his age and his price tag both of which are low, BUT this is his make or break year, because he is also entering the last year of his contract. Again this is why BJGE is on the bench, because the spotlight is on Maroney now. Now is the time BB will decide if Maroney is for real or not.

3) BJGE is signed to a four year contract, and just started his 2nd year of that contract, so there is plenty of time for him. Meanwhile he can pick up from the older backs.

4) BJGE is neither good or bad at blitz pickup or blocking assignation. He is where a player of his status is.. picking up most, missing some. 

5) He has been criticized for lack of feel in the passing game, but I have seen improvements on this, especially this preseason. He should continue to improve.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

So we can rotate 4 HB's each half?  What is this Pop Warner?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micksoxx. Show Micksoxx's posts

Because "Dancing with the Stars" featuring Laurence Maroney is under contract for a 16 week season.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

BJGE is the next Sammy Morris, but he needs to improve on Special Teams, blitz pick-up (and, likely, reading the defense), and pass-catching/route running. He's a good, young RB who runs hard, but he's not great and probably never will be (that's not to say I'm not hoping....). He most certainly is not the next Corey Dillon or Walter Payton that some here think he is. BJGE will probably never be a full-time starter for the Patriots or any other team, but he could develop into an important part of the offense as a top backup.

I do believe BJGE will be a part of the game plan at some point, and certainly if there is an injury they'll use him. But at the moment he is not versatile enough to give the Patriots their best chance of winning, and that is why he has not been on the 45-man game day roster.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Look, you come to summer camp to compete for the job. You have to win your position and win the coaches over. BJGE did just that this summer. Maroney, for all his talk about "finally" becoming THE back has not done it yet. The only back I saw BB go out and give a hug to was BJGE and he ran down the sidelines to do it!

Sit Maroney. Let him think about things and watch the way BJGE hits the hole. Let him stew about it. You don't sit a back like Ellis after he's done all you could ask of him. Maroney on the other hand, has not shown he deserves the opportunity. What gets me most is that the pressure on Brady is almost too much. We let him throw 50 times a game and risk him getting hit. We should be running smash-mouth football with backs like BJGE, Morris and Taylor. As it is now, defenses know we are going to throw. They sit back and cover our receivers and rush Brady. That's the game plan. I say we rush 40 times a game. At least. Rotate Taylor, Morris, BJGE, Faulk and Fred Astaire. We have FIVE backs. Run them. Right down the throats of opposing defenses. THEN the passing game opens up. 

I'm not seeing that now and look how things are going. There's a reason Matt Ryan is doing well and that is Michael Turner. No, it's not the only reason but, man, it sure helps. We have a better set of backs merely because all are healthy and can hit hard. It matters not if we have 5 WR's spread out. They will still blitz Brady. Run the freakin' ball Bill and sit Maroney out to send him a message. He apparently hasn't gotten the memo. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

Maroney is a good special teams player, good at picking up the blitz and good in the receiving game. He's versatile. That's why Bill plays him. And, with all the hurt WRs this week, it is more important than ever that Maroney, Faulk and Taylor are the RBs on the field. In fact, Maroney will likely be the fourth WR this week.
    Obviously, Bill did not feel that BJGE was the best guy to dress for weeks one and two, and I'd be shocked if the plans changed for week three. At some point, the Patriots will play a team where Bill feels BJGE's skill set can be used, and he'll include him in the game plan. In the meantime, BJGE is a good reserve should someone get hurt. 
    There are only 45 players that can be activated for the game, and Bill can't give up five slots to the running backs. BJGE will get his turn, but now is not that time.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

Now that Maroney has a thigh injury, I wouldn't be surprised to see BJGE on the 45-man game day roster next week.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaacee. Show jaacee's posts

WHY DOES BB HAVE AS BRADY'S ONLY BACKUP- HOYER ? IT'S ALMOST LIKE HE IS TEMPTING FATE RE, BRADY GETTING KNOCKED OUT FOR THE REST ON '09 SEASON -, LIKE LIGHTING NOT STRIKING THE SAME SPOT AGAIN EVER?)  IMAGINE IF IT DID, NO BACKUP WITH 3 YEARS EXPERIENCE LIKE LAST YEAR. DON'T YOU THINK HE IS TAKING A HUGE RISK?   

ANSWER TO ABOVE ABOUT LAW FIRM NOT PLAYING-- LOUSEY PROTECTION FOR BRADY- AS ANOTHER FAN STATES.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

That BB sees Maroney is finally as BUST is all I can hope for.  BJGE will play a larger role as the season progresses.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPKilla2009. Show MVPKilla2009's posts

Maybe cause he is over hyped by fans and not as good as fans think. Belichick knows better then us and if he does not think this kid needs to play then he wont play. he is over hyped.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Low-FB-IQ. Show Low-FB-IQ's posts

In Response to Re: Why does BenJarvus Green-Ellis not play???:
    [QUOTE]I agree, BJGE should get a chance......I think that both bjge and maroney could start if they were on a different TEAM....The pat's just give up on the running game, and it's boom's away!!!! Running Back's need to get in rythem.....not 2 carries and your out.....Kevin Faulk is fantastic... I could do without fragile freddie and morris............DEAR BILL GIVE YOUR RUNNING BACK'S A CHANCE, PLEASE!!!!!
    Posted by bradyslady12[/QUOTE]

LOL Do without fragile Freddie????? OMG what?

Go do some research on Fast Freddie before you speak.

He is currently 13th or 14th on the ALL time NFL rushing leaders list and after this season will move even higher.

Every guy on the list ahead of him simply has more attempts.

ONLY three guys ahead of him on the list have better career YPC averages than he does.

Freddie currently has a 4.6 avg. OJ Simpson finished with a 4.7. Barry Sanders finished with a 5.0. ...and Jim Brown had a 5.2.

Seriously what the heck are you talking about? I love BJGE but it is not his time yet. He'll get his chance and I'll be excited for him when he does but he played a bunch last year and was solid but his numbers do not set the world on fire.

People make too much out of PRESEASON. The Pats are considered a generally deep team so when our backups get in against other teams backups we usually kick gluteus maximus in the PRESEASON games. (ie the GIANTS game after we were down big and they put in their backups and our backups started rolling and came back to win the game)

That was also an example of when guys like NUNN and BJGE started tearing it up and everyone starts ooing and aahing and saying why aren't these guys playing.

Hello knock knock, anyone home. PRESEASON!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

[QUOTE]BJGE does not have nearly as good of hands as Faulk, Taylor or Maroney (and probably Morris, too). But it's more than "just hands". It's running outside the Tackles. It's route running. It's blitz pick-up. It's reading the defense. It's special teams. There's a lot to it, and the kid has a promising future. But he's NOT Walter Payton, and, odds are, he'll never will be close to being like him. What BJGE does well is run hard up the middle.
    Posted by Ritchie_az[/QUOTE] I really do not mind your quoting me but get it correct when you do. What I said was that when finishing off the run would be tacklers present he punishes them by lowering his shoulder obtaining every inch possible reminding me of Walter Peyton who was the master of hard nosed football.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from earlWilson. Show earlWilson's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Why does BenJarvus Green-Ellis not play??? : There saving him for December. We will need some fresh legs going into the playoffs
    Posted by richma7175[/QUOTE]

exactly. what some of us nit-wits don`t seem to understand, is that BB believes that this team is fully able to win a SB this season, and he`s about getting  them there first and foremost. he also coaching a young, gifted running back with a bright future, who can learn alot by watching taylor and morris do their thing [not so sure that watching maroney would help all that much] and BB knows that running backs do go down, often for the entire season, and that he doesn`t want benjarvus to go on IR. if you watched the final game of the pre-season you saw BB give green-ellis the oportunity to show what he`s got in him, and the joy BB had towards benjarvus when the game was over spoke volumes.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

Unclealfie, I really do not mind your quoting me but get it correct when you do. What I "said" was that he is much like Walter Peyton at the end of a run he looks for someone to hit as did Walter Peyton nothing more nothing less.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mike-J-D. Show Mike-J-D's posts

yeah i am a big fan of the guy too, but as other people have said, he must not be too great at blitz pickups.  he is a stronger runer than Maroney (although i think Maroney is a better breakaway back).  It would be nice to see him out there in a platoon role a bit.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]1) It's not just about BJGE, it's also about roster management. If we go with BJGE now, it's essentially telling Morris and Taylor that we give up on them, because both have one year contracts. 2) Maroney has been the subject of a lot of controversy over his dancing style, however there are two things going in his favor: his age and his price tag both of which are low, BUT this is his make or break year, because he is also entering the last year of his contract. Again this is why BJGE is on the bench, because the spotlight is on Maroney now. Now is the time BB will decide if Maroney is for real or not. 3) BJGE is signed to a four year contract, and just started his 2nd year of that contract, so there is plenty of time for him. Meanwhile he can pick up from the older backs. 4) BJGE is neither good or bad at blitz pickup or blocking assignation. He is where a player of his status is.. picking up most, missing some.  5) He has been criticized for lack of feel in the passing game, but I have seen improvements on this, especially this preseason. He should continue to improve.
    Posted by patpscyho[/QUOTE]
    Don't get these maroney haters confused with facts! Its obviously some sort of conspiracy against the law firm!

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Law Firm is twice the running back Walter Payton ever was.

I just looked it up.

Payton doesn't have any hyphens at all in his name.

Not one.

23. This post has been removed.