Why does it seem like we are the only team with cap restrictions?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: Why does it seem like we are the only team with cap restrictions?

Miami lost Long and then signed an LT this year. hilarious.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to Brady2Welker47's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Now Pittsburgh signs Safety Mitchell...another "cap hell" team signs an impact player...

[/QUOTE]

Why are you surprised by this...the Pats do not sign big price tag FA's...they stopped after Thomas...Amendola was bad enough...forget it...

Why anyone is surprisede by this , still, amuses me to no end..where the heck have you guys been?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Now Pittsburgh signs Safety Mitchell...another "cap hell" team signs an impact player...

[/QUOTE]

Why are you surprised by this...the Pats do not sign big price tag FA's...they stopped after Thomas...Amendola was bad enough...forget it...

Why anyone is surprisede by this , still, amuses me to no end..where the heck have you guys been?

[/QUOTE]

So they whiffed on a few free agents so they are never going to try again. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"BB plays chess, while others play checkers"

Hmm well in the playoffs it looked like John Fox was the one playing chess and Belichick playing checkers. Or more accurately, Fox was playing chess with three queens and we had a king and a bunch of pawns. 

BB is a hall of fame coach, probably greatest ever, but he arguably had the worst offseason of any GM in the NFL last year between AH and Amendola/Welker. So given that I understand the trepidation. But I don't believe in jumping to conclusions a few minutes into free agency either. 

The tricky thing is you really can't judge the entire offseason at all until you see the product on the field. I'm leaning towards trusting BB but skepticism of BB as a GM is entirely fair. 

Rent a player is fine by me too by the way. You better hope the Ravens don't sign Edelman or you're going to take a "cap hell" roughhousing in here....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:

In response to mellymel3's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So they whiffed on a few free agents so they are never going to try again. 

[/QUOTE]

History has proven teams that sign big free agents rarely win the Superbowl because of those free agent signings. History has also shown that those same big name free agents tend to get cut sooner rather than later and cost the team a rebuilding period. Look at Washington, they've been signing big name free agents since the turn of the century and they've been rebuilding since the turn of the century.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

The market ceiling could be set in the first few days which generally means some teams will overpay for the production they get (see Miami/Wallace). I'd rather the Pats draft say Calvin Pryor than overpay for a SS like Ward or Bethea.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 42AND46's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Because Denver just cut Champ Bailey. If BB made cuts he would be sitting at something close to 30 mill, it's obvious that BB doesn't love any of the guys on the market or he would've made the smart cuts.

[/QUOTE]-9

or his mojo is running dry...

[/QUOTE]

At leaet he has a mojo, how's lucky Coghlin doing?

[/QUOTE]

Giants are signing players

[/QUOTE]

They were 7-9, they need to.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to JohnHannahrulz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The market ceiling could be set in the first few days which generally means some teams will overpay for the production they get (see Miami/Wallace). I'd rather the Pats draft say Calvin Pryor than overpay for a SS like Ward or Bethea.

[/QUOTE]

The only issue with that is that Pryor might not be there to draft at 29 and drafting him means not drafting other areas of need either. A great draft is if you come away with what 2 starters and 2 depth pieces? Well the Pats as currently are need a #1 CB, a upgraded DT, a SS, a WR, a starting caliber TE, a C, and depth at LB, DE, and G. There are more holes than draft picks which is why you fill some of those holes via FA. But, if you wait too long for the market to settle you are typically left with pieces no other team wants and for good reason. You are gambling low perchentage odds that they will succeed when 31 other teams think they will fail for good reason. Sometimes you need to pay a bit more to fill holes when you don't have enough picks to fill them all.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

I'm not saying lets go out and sign guys and overpay like Miami or Cleveland this year...

but an impact signing would be nice.

now this year, i'm not complaining. Talib looks to be ours and for a price we want (credit BB) and Edelman maybe the same too. (BB again)

why not go make a splash like Adalius Thomas in 2007?

yes, that went horrible but he had a huge 2007 for us and played great in SB42 as well.

I would take a bad contract (like Adalius) for one good season that helps us reach an SB and plays good immediately (Thomas)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm not saying lets go out and sign guys and overpay like Miami or Cleveland this year...

now this year, i'm not complaining. Talib looks to be ours and for a price we want (credit BB) and Edelman maybe the same too. (BB again)

yes, that went horrible but he had a huge 2007 for us and played great in SB42 as well.

I would take a bad contract (like Adalius) for one good season that helps us reach an SB and plays good immediately (Thomas)

[/QUOTE]

The question is Joe if BB gets Talib and Edelman for cheap it's because 31 other teams didn't want them. So what do the other teams know we seemingly don't? If 31 others teams don't want them there is a very good reason and counting on them to be #1 starters is a very risky venture

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

What is abundantly apparent to me is that BB hasn't gotten the memo from this board that he needs to do more than produce a winning team - he needs to make a splash and satisfy everyone's gooey wish list. 

Homer that I am, I'll wait and see where the Pats stand when training camp starts.  Interesting link I posted earlier advocated building with the draft and supplementing with free agents.  Apparently BB views it the same way.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

[QUOTE]

Seeing Denver sign TJ Ward and seeing other teams who are in "cap hell" sign legitimate players gets me frustrated. I've believed in BB for the longest time but patience is wearing thin, Brady will not be around much longer...what the F is he waiting for ?

[/QUOTE]

Optical illusion...you have to look at the world through BB's dark sunglasses...so you wouldn't be able to see his eyes rolling into the back of his head whenever someone mentions the words "Free Agency"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The question is Joe if BB gets Talib and Edelman for cheap it's because 31 other teams didn't want them. So what do the other teams know we seemingly don't? If 31 others teams don't want them there is a very good reason and counting on them to be #1 starters is a very risky venture

[/QUOTE]

I honestly dont really care if Edelman goes or stays. the only thing that will bother me is if he pays above the 3/14 7gtd w 21 for incentives and that would be way overpaying.

I'm on the pay talib boat. I'd give him the Sam Shields deal. that's the market. the cap is going up to 150M in '15 and 160M in '16.

I would rather pay Revis or Verner but if those options are gone, we need to get Talib. DRC doesnt cut it and you never know, sometimes players just make it out of the injury proneness? it could happen for talib, and if it does. damn, that would be a steal, if it doesnt. his 12-13games are worth as much as Shields 16.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What is abundantly apparent to me is that BB hasn't gotten the memo from this board that he needs to do more than produce a winning team - he needs to make a splash and satisfy everyone's gooey wish list. 

Homer that I am, I'll wait and see where the Pats stand when training camp starts.  Interesting link I posted earlier advocated building with the draft and supplementing with free agents.  Apparently BB views it the same way.

[/QUOTE]

Did you copy and paste this from last year or the year before ATJ? It seems to be a reoccuring theme around here but it seems no one remembers saying this the previous year after the FA crops from the year before failed too.

The issue is we have more holes than draft picks and that's if we hit on all of them. The supplementing part of FA hasn't existed for a while now as those FA's washed out quickly due to age, injury, lack of talent, or character concers. You don't have to go crazy spending but when you have obvious holes in your starters and draft picks alone won't solve it you have to invest in actual starters. The secondary market we all fall for every year is a myth. I like the phrase so you think you're smarter than BB, well the players found on the secondary market are usually the players 31 other teams don't want, hence why we get them cheap, so saying we can supplement our roster with those other players is basically saying 31 other teams are wrong and these players will get us over the hump.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

News flash for you, everything in the NFL is a very risky venture.

Both players were league leaders on the Pats and you have a problem with them if 31 other teams don't want them?

What makes a person think proven performance is a risky venture due to the opinions of other people. Who cares what other people think?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Because Denver just cut Champ Bailey. If BB made cuts he would be sitting at something close to 30 mill, it's obvious that BB doesn't love any of the guys on the market or he would've made the smart cuts.

[/QUOTE]

The Pats still have to fill something like 8 slots on the team from players they haven't signed yet like Blount.

[/QUOTE]

Now you guys want to overrate Blount, too? Blount is a scrub. No need to rush any RBs, they're not going anywhere.

[/QUOTE]

I never said anything about his performance just that it's a slot to fill.  

They still have to field a team don't they?  Maybe they can just have Brady snap the ball to himself, block for himself, and catch the pass he throws too.  Then he can play D because it doesn't seem like anyone else is doing those things.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Did you copy and paste this from last year or the year before ATJ? It seems to be a reoccuring theme around here but it seems no one remembers saying this the previous year after the FA crops from the year before failed too.

The issue is we have more holes than draft picks and that's if we hit on all of them. The supplementing part of FA hasn't existed for a while now as those FA's washed out quickly due to age, injury, lack of talent, or character concers. You don't have to go crazy spending but when you have obvious holes in your starters and draft picks alone won't solve it you have to invest in actual starters. The secondary market we all fall for every year is a myth. I like the phrase so you think you're smarter than BB, well the players found on the secondary market are usually the players 31 other teams don't want, hence why we get them cheap, so saying we can supplement our roster with those other players is basically saying 31 other teams are wrong and these players will get us over the hump.

[/QUOTE]

So now PatsEng you are taking me to task for being consistent in my views?  Well shame on me and my recidivist ways.  You and I view the process differently - that is abundantly clear.  You don't like the way BB does business. Got it.  That's what being a fan is all about. 

I'll make my assessment when I said I'll make it and I'm not at all reluctant to acknowledge that it is essentially the same as last year and the year before that.