Why does the media call the loss to the Jets a beatdown?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from calidick. Show calidick's posts

Why does the media call the loss to the Jets a beatdown?

One loss to the Jets and the media says we were beatdown and manhandled in that game.
    Losing by a touchdown and having a chance to tie it late in the fourth quarter does not equate
    to a beatdown in my book. Just look at the game stats, does that look like JETS domination
    to you???

Team Stats
     New EnglandNY Jets
    First Downs1814
      Rushing54
      Passing1010
      Penalty30
    3rd Down Efficiency5-15, 33%3-11, 27%
    4th down efficiency0-1, 0%0-0, -%
    Red-Zone Efficiency0-3, 0%1-3, 33%
    Goal-To-Go Efficiency0-0, -%0-1, 0%
    Total Net Yards299254
      Total Plays6755
      Yards/Play4.54.6
    Net Rushing Yards83117
      Rushes2031
      Yards/Carry4.23.8
      Rushing TDs00
    Net Passing Yards216137
      Comp-Att-Int23-47-114-22-0
      Yards/Attempt4.65.7
      Passing TDs01
      Sack-Yds0-02-26
    Return Yards102152
      Punt Returns-Yards2-32-25
      Punt Return TDs00
      Kick Returns-Yards5-994-127
      Kick Return TDs00
      Int Returns-Yards0-01-0
      Int Return TDs00
    Punts-Average6-36.85-41.8
    Penalties - Yards11-898-55
    Fumbles Lost0-02-1
      Own-Recover-Yards0-01-0
      Own-Recover TDs00
      Opp-Recover-Yards1-00-0
      Opp-Recover TDs00
    Field Goals3-3, 100%3-3, 100%
    Extra Points0-0, -%1-1, 100%
    Two Point Conversions0-0, -%0-0, -%
    Safeties00
    Time of Possession30:5029:10

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leon56. Show Leon56's posts

Re: Why does the media call the loss to the Jets a beatdown?

I guess you didn't watch the game?I'd call it a massacre.Brady was on his rear end about 20 times!The crowd noise had him baffled.He looked like a deer in the headlights!
    Beatdown is putting it mildly!-Shouldn't you stop obsessing about the Jets and worry about the Falcons?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Why does the media call the loss to the Jets a beatdown?:
    I guess you didn't watch the game?I'd call it a massacre.Brady was on his rear end about 20 times!The crowd noise had him baffled.He looked like a deer in the headlights! Beatdown is putting it mildly!-Shouldn't you stop obsessing about the Jets and worry about the Falcons?
    Posted by Leon56

Since they lost to the Pats the past 8 years, a 7 pt. win is hugh (to them).
    And leon, shouldn't you be worried about your glass knee(s) Qb playing the Titans, and not the Pats.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leon56. Show Leon56's posts

Pezz-Little lady !How many times do I have to tell you-If Sanchez goes down -Bring in the next guy!
    Offense scores points and defense wins Championships!The Jets D is best,numero uno in the NFL!How are ya!

Unfortunately for you the pats O can't score points and the D is non existent

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fargo. Show Fargo's posts

Pezz-Little lady !How many times do I have to tell you-If Sanchez goes down -Bring in the next guy! Offense scores points and defense wins Championships!The Jets D is best,numero uno in the NFL!How are ya! Unfortunately for you the pats O can't score points and the D is non existent
    Posted by Leon56

Leon, bunky! Predict the Jets' record this season.  15-1?  16-0?  Is this the year, bunky?  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

its no diffrent in them saying mecelvin shut down moss all day.which wasnt true.either brady never got the ball on target,or he didnt have time to get it there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

The stats weren't the telling feature of the game.  The NY media focused on how Brady was pressured, knocked down etc and that gave them call to use the term "beatdown".  Many here acknowledged the Jets pressure and how it did affect Brady.  In the end, the Pats' record has it down as an L, while the Jets have the W.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from calidick. Show calidick's posts

Leon, are you kidding me? Obsessing with the JETS.
    You are the one obsessed, going on Patriots chat rooms and replying to every post. Enjoy it while you can cause it won't last long.
    What will you call it when you win by 10 or 14 (like that might happen). According to what you call a blowout they should invoke the mercy rule when the JETS go up by 10.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from calidick. Show calidick's posts

Sorry Leon,
    I'm not a professional chatter. You probably know the ins and outs of every chat room on the internet. And cheating? Did the JETS just not get fined for falsifying injury reports?
    You my friend are the pissed off one. It's tough when you don't win a Superbowl in over forty years.
    But thanks for joining in you make it fun.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Why does the media call the loss to the Jets a beatdown? : Since they lost to the Pats the past 8 years, a 7 pt. win is hugh (to them). And leon, shouldn't you be worried about your glass knee(s) Qb playing the Titans, and not the Pats.
    Posted by pezz4pats

To pezz and ALL:

...same sentiment taken one step further:  Why does the Media call the Jet's loss a 'beatdown'":  The Patriot's even in the first part of this decade (during BB's & especially Brady's tenure here), did not get beatdown...they DON'T get beatdown.  The Pats either win (and by Win, I mean are the Winningest Team of this entire decade, Regular Season and Playoffs and Championships) and so it is, that in the rare loss that they sustain with these 2 at the helm, are in, in my estimation, well over 90% of the games that they play (probably closer to over 95%) by a field goal, or 1 possession or less until tha final whistle blows (I'm sure some Troll will look this up, and I trully hope they do so-and the math please)...

Thoughts ANYONE?  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Re: Why does the media call the loss to the Jets a beatdown? : To pezz and ALL : ...same sentiment taken one step further:  Why does the Media call the Jet's loss a 'beatdown'":  The Patriot's even in the first part of this decade (during BB's & especially Brady's tenure here), did not get beatdown...they DON'T get beatdown.  The Pats either win (and by Win, I mean are the Winningest Team of this entire decade, Regular Season and Playoffs and Championships) and so it is, that in the rare loss that they sustain with these 2 at the helm, are in, in my estimation, well over 90% of the games that they play (probably closer to over 95%) by a field goal, or 1 possession or less until tha final whistle blows (I'm sure some Troll will look this up, and I trully hope they do so-and the math please)... Thoughts ANYONE ?  
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

I wish it were 2001.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Why does the media call the loss to the Jets a beatdown? : To pezz and ALL : ...same sentiment taken one step further:  Why does the Media call the Jet's loss a 'beatdown'":  The Patriot's even in the first part of this decade (during BB's & especially Brady's tenure here), did not get beatdown...they DON'T get beatdown.  The Pats either win (and by Win, I mean are the Winningest Team of this entire decade, Regular Season and Playoffs and Championships) and so it is, that in the rare loss that they sustain with these 2 at the helm, are in, in my estimation, well over 90% of the games that they play (probably closer to over 95%) by a field goal, or 1 possession or less until tha final whistle blows (I'm sure some Troll will look this up, and I trully hope they do so-and the math please)... Thoughts ANYONE ?  
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

You're right, The Pats don't get beat down often.  But if you remember correctly, Blue NJ said the very same thing during the Super bowl where they beat us by 3 points.  Both games were very winnable, which is what they don't seem to understand.  They're just trying to qualify their false bravado.  But you gotta figure that since the Pats play NY teams 6 times a year, they're bound to win once in a while.  Too bad they don't get that!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Why does the media call the loss to the Jets a beatdown? : I wish it were 2001.
    Posted by themightypatriotz

mightypatriots-
    Living the dream over again... IF We perchance are beginning that elliptical gyre inwards...downwards...pardon the overused cliche (but it's true):  "Enjoy the long ride down" (hopefully as naively as one can be).

IF, now, It's nearing the finality:  Well...I, too, IF given the choice would rather live and be part of the establishment of something's "Golden Age" than it's potential Commencement, the rise over perhaps, the decline.  But Not To Worry mighty, For the good thing about Professional Sports Teams is that IF they're run well (and ours is), The Dark Ages that brought those proverbial barbarians (read: any NY-based franchise team) to Rome's golden gate, sacking our wealth and riches, are soon (over the course of 1, or even over the course of 10 seasons)-driven out (barbarians are uncivilized, and get fat, slothlike and complacent easily)-giving way to new greener, "Gilded Ages", where new technologies, advancements of art, beauty, and everything else, attend the soul greater hope and wonder than EVER before...jocund din my friend.

of note:  Of course, Being in Rome when the Goths are at your doorstep is, well...it sux.    

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

Laz:

Interesting analogy! So, if the current Patriot "empire" is in decline (and I believe it is, due to the combination of advancing age and the gradual disappearance of those who made those SB triumphs possible), in what stage of the "fall" are we:

1/ The equivalent of Rome under Marcus Aurelius, facing an uppity Parthia seeking to regain its lost territory in what is today the Balkans and the Middle East (the NY Jets of its time) as well as the defacto union of germanic tribes (modern equivalents being the Steelers, Titans, Chargers, and Colts) crossing the Danube River to threaten Rome's northern flank as well as invading Gaul.

Or

2/ Are we in the beginning portion of the Dark Ages, when the Romans were down to a few territories around Rome, and the Huns (modern equivalent: Atlanta) led by Attila (or Matt Ryan) will lay waste upon our stalwart worthies (Patriots)?

If the Patriots' are in the Marcus Aurelius stage, they will find a way to stave off ultimate defeat by beating back their foes and attaining glory for one brief gasp of time. In MA's case, he was the last competent emperor of Rome and in his case: the remark apres moi, le deluge was highly appropriate.

If we are in the second stage (which I do not think we are), Matt Ryan and the Falcons will tear the Patriots' defense to shreds, and the Patriots' offense may not produce enough points to keep up with them.

Comments, s'il vous plait?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leon58. Show Leon58's posts

Bele-You overeducated pats fan you!Great post although I believe that many in here don't have a clue as to what in the H ell you just said.LOL

The Jets did beatdown the pats-didn't you people watch the same game that I did?Brady was on his rearend at least 20 times and you never scored a TD!!
    Your Oline really does s uck and your defense is weak at best.The runt(Welker)is he playing Sunday?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

Leon, I haven't heard anything (as of now) to indicate that Welker is not playing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leon58. Show Leon58's posts

If you hear anything let me know-I may up my bet if he isn't playing.
    I gotta run-Puddin Pie is dragging me to her niece's engagement party this afternoon.I'd rather eat a bowl of glass!
    LOL-I'll check in later
    Until then Y'all have a nice afternoon now ......yahear!?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Laz: Interesting analogy! So, if the current Patriot "empire" is in decline (and I believe it is, due to the combination of advancing age and the gradual disappearance of those who made those SB triumphs possible), in what stage of the "fall" are we: 1/ The equivalent of Rome under Marcus Aurelius, facing an uppity Parthia seeking to regain its lost territory in what is today the Balkans and the Middle East (the NY Jets of its time) as well as the defacto union of germanic tribes (modern equivalents being the Steelers, Titans, Chargers, and Colts) crossing the Danube River to threaten Rome's northern flank as well as invading Gaul. Or 2/ Are we in the beginning portion of the Dark Ages, when the Romans were down to a few territories around Rome, and the Huns (modern equivalent: Atlanta) led by Attila (or Matt Ryan) will lay waste upon our stalwart worthies (Patriots)? If the Patriots' are in the Marcus Aurelius stage, they will find a way to stave off ultimate defeat by beating back their foes and attaining glory for one brief gasp of time. In MA's case, he was the last competent emperor of Rome and in his case: the remark apres moi , le deluge was highly appropriate. If we are in the second stage (which I do not think we are), Matt Ryan and the Falcons will tear the Patriots' defense to shreds, and the Patriots' offense may not produce enough points to keep up with them. Comments, s'il vous plait?
    Posted by Belenus555

Belenus and ALL:

FANTASTIC historical reference B!  Personally, I too, believe what we're seeing here is much more akin to the Aurelius stage than the latter... I, myself, was alluding prominently to a Franz Kafka short story entitled, "Barbarians at the Gate."  The story deals with the fictional sacking of some town, where barbarian hoardes come in, slaughter a few people, eat up all the food stores, slobber around the street for awhile, then eventual get bored and leave to sack another town, civilization, or simply ride into the western sunset of the Russian steppes...   

The overall point Kafka was trying to make, is such that-Since the dawn of civilization there's been Barbarians sacking settlements again and again and again, and EVERY single time, those part of that "civilized" world believe it's the very end of things, and that things have never been worse than what they are during THIS sacking experience, the one going on now... Same holds true for when elders (Us, now) believe that THIS generation of youth coming of age is far worse than OUR generation was...never seems true.  Civilizaions rebuild, the NEXT generation shows they can hold things together just fine, the Age advances (sometimes there's a little ebb, before the next "flow" that ALWAYS follows) and Life goes on... As humans, we often glamorize the past, forgetting that even within these so called "Golden Ages" in time, We as Individuals were still slave to the same preoccupations, desires and worries that we are at the present time, and We as people were wearing symbolic horns on our heads and still making sacrificial offerings to Bull-Gods (ahhh, College)...

of note:  Not that keen on Marcus Aurelius B... As an undergrad, I was up in my off-campus room suffering from mono and strep-throat while desperately trying to keep my eyes open in order to read the next days assignment-50 pages of Aurelius's philosophical collection called "Meditations."  I decided, as the good student I was, NOT to just drift off to sleep, But to take a break down stairs... I found my roommates/frat brothers taking shots with a Be-Be Gun through the living room and onto the porch rail where were set up- a few 2 Liter Soda bottles filled with water... So I took the gun lined up a shot, squeezed the trigger, and went outside to adjust the soda bottles-WHERE 5 cops were scaling up our backyard with their guns drawn telling me to drop the gun and put my hands on the ground...  In the end, I'm thinking that the night in Jail and accelerated rehabilitation (what a waste of a 'get outta jail card') STILL beat reading that awful piece of literature...

final note:  Hopefully Belenus, We're not at THAT point in historical time where our General Aethius (sp?) allows Genghis Khan to go free (RE: the NY Jests) after a battle where the Romans could have wiped The Mongols out simply because personal reasons (stayed with them as a child), and He wanted to leave the Mongols as a counterbalance to the Gothic (RE: Miami Dolphins) hoardes (also encroaching into Roman provinces) (RE: Other AFC East foes)... Ya know, It took the Pope, as Khan was right at Rome's Gates, To go and confront Genghis Khan, and convince Him to leave Rome alone because the rath of God would befall him IF He kept up his burning and pillaging...MENTAL NOTE FOR ALL:  "IF ya ever have somebody by the nose, ALWAYS make sure to subsequently Kick him in the a##," rather than giving them a way out, or 1 more chance...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

Laz:

Agreed. All we can do as fans is wait for the eventual "sacking of Foxboro," wish that it is delayed as much as possible, and hope against hope that the storehouses of grain (nfl quality players on both sides of the ball) are relatively full when the proverbial lean years take place so that any downturn is greatly mitigated.

PS
    I used Marcus Aurelius' "Meditations" as a cure for sleepless nights when I was in school - worked like a charm.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

In Response to Why does the media call the loss to the Jets a beatdown?:
    One loss to the Jets and the media says we were beatdown and manhandled in that game. Losing by a touchdown and having a chance to tie it late in the fourth quarter does not equate to a beatdown in my book. Just look at the game stats, does that look like JETS domination to you??? Team Stats   New England NY Jets First Downs 18 14   Rushing 5 4   Passing 10 10   Penalty 3 0 3rd Down Efficiency 5-15, 33% 3-11, 27% 4th down efficiency 0-1, 0% 0-0, -% Red-Zone Efficiency 0-3, 0% 1-3, 33% Goal-To-Go Efficiency 0-0, -% 0-1, 0% Total Net Yards 299 254   Total Plays 67 55   Yards/Play 4.5 4.6 Net Rushing Yards 83 117   Rushes 20 31   Yards/Carry 4.2 3.8   Rushing TDs 0 0 Net Passing Yards 216 137   Comp-Att-Int 23-47-1 14-22-0   Yards/Attempt 4.6 5.7   Passing TDs 0 1   Sack-Yds 0-0 2-26 Return Yards 102 152   Punt Returns-Yards 2-3 2-25   Punt Return TDs 0 0   Kick Returns-Yards 5-99 4-127   Kick Return TDs 0 0   Int Returns-Yards 0-0 1-0   Int Return TDs 0 0 Punts-Average 6-36.8 5-41.8 Penalties - Yards 11-89 8-55 Fumbles Lost 0-0 2-1   Own-Recover-Yards 0-0 1-0   Own-Recover TDs 0 0   Opp-Recover-Yards 1-0 0-0   Opp-Recover TDs 0 0 Field Goals 3-3, 100% 3-3, 100% Extra Points 0-0, -% 1-1, 100% Two Point Conversions 0-0, -% 0-0, -% Safeties 0 0 Time of Possession 30:50 29:10
    Posted by calidick

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

The old saying.... "statistics are for losers." If you watched the game, it was a beat down. We were in trouble at halftime, only leading 9-3 when they were worthless on offense and giving us field position. The second half? Sanchez looked liked Brady used to look, and their defense swaloowed our blocking. A beat down.

Sections
Shortcuts