Why does the Patriots 2009 Draft class look better than years past?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

Why does the Patriots 2009 Draft class look better than years past?

I know we have only watched one preseason game, but it's hard not to be impressed with this draft class. Nearly every one of the draft picks made an impressive play or two in the game. We will need at least a year to really see how they all turn out.

If this draft class turns out to be one of the best ones the Patriots have made under Belicheck's term as coach, you have to wonder if it has something to do with Pioli leaving.

I know Pioli was heavily involved in contract negotiations, but he was also heavily involved in personnel decisions. I tend to wonder if the improvement in the draft is because Belicheck was more involved this year than in past years or if Pioli's replacement may have had something to do with it; or is it all just ironic that Pioli leaves and they have one of their best drafts in recent memory.

Opinions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Re: Why does the Patriots 2009 Draft class look better than years past?

Because they had four second round picks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Why does the Patriots 2009 Draft class look better than years past?:
    I know we have only watched one preseason game, but it's hard not to be impressed with this draft class. Nearly every one of the draft picks made an impressive play or two in the game. We will need at least a year to really see how they all turn out.   If this draft class turns out to be one of the best ones the Patriots have made under Belicheck's term as coach, you have to wonder if it has something to do with Pioli leaving. I know Pioli was heavily involved in contract negotiations, but he was also heavily involved in personnel decisions. I tend to wonder if the improvement in the draft is because Belicheck was more involved this year than in past years or if Pioli's replacement may have had something to do with it; or is it all just ironic that Pioli leaves and they have one of their best drafts in recent memory. Opinions?
    Posted by kman2004

I'm with you, it's only been one preseason game, but I'm certainly excited.

Don't forget the also acquired additional 2nd round picks in the 2010 draft by trading down this year, so that could provide even more value to this class.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

fair point maybe, but here are this years picks. You still have Tate in round 3 we haven't seen.

2a Pat Chung 34 SS Oregon 
     2b Ron Brace 40 DT Boston College 
     2c Darius Butler 41 CB Connecticut 
     2d Sebastian Vollmer 58 OL Houston

and these three may also make the team. Two 6 round and one 7th round.

6a Jake Ingram 198 LS Hawaii 
     6b Myron Pryor 207 DT Kentucky 
     7a Julian Edelman 232 WR Kent State

I don't know, I think there is more to it than that. Here are some past 2nd round picks. The only one left is Wheatly.

2008 2nd round:
     2 Terrence Wheatley 62 CB
    2007 2nd round: no 2nd round pick

2006:
    2 Chad Jackson 36 WR Florida

2005 no 2nd round pick

2b Marquise Hill 63 DE Louisiana State

2b Bethel Johnson 45 WR Texas A&M
     2a Eugene Wilson

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In Response to Re: Why does the Patriots 2009 Draft class look better than years past?:
    fair point maybe, but here are this years picks. You still have Tate in round 3 we haven't seen. 2a  Pat Chung  34  SS  Oregon    2b  Ron Brace  40  DT  Boston College    2c  Darius Butler  41  CB  Connecticut    2d  Sebastian Vollmer  58  OL  Houston and these three may also make the team. Two 6 round and one 7th round.  6a  Jake Ingram  198  LS  Hawaii    6b  Myron Pryor  207  DT  Kentucky    7a  Julian Edelman  232  WR  Kent State I don't know, I think there is more to it than that. Here are some past 2nd round picks. The only one left is Wheatly. 2008 2nd round:  2  Terrence Wheatley  62  CB 2007 2nd round: no 2nd round pick 2006: 2  Chad Jackson  36  WR  Florida 2005 no 2nd round pick 2004  2b  Marquise Hill  63  DE  Louisiana State 2003 2b  Bethel Johnson  45  WR  Texas A&M  2a  Eugene Wilson
    Posted by kman2004

Also, don't forget Tyrone McKenzie the LB they drafted in the third round this year.  They were extremely high on when they took him, it's too bad he went down early with a knee injury. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Don't underestimate Floyd Reese either.  He's a pretty darn good evaluator of talent.  3 of his 11 1st round draft choices with the Titans won NFL Rookie of the Year.  The guy is good, maybe better than Pioli, at least when it comes to evaluating player skills.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

We had 4 2nd round picks which makes an draft a lot easier to make it work. Maybe there was just more talent in this years draft, people said it was a deep draft.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikec645. Show mikec645's posts

You gotta remember the Pats didn't make the playoffs last year either, Belichick doesn't normally have that much tiem to prepare for the draft.  The last season after the Pats didn't make the playoffs they drafted, Ty Warren, Eugene Wilson, Bethel Johnson, Dan Klecko, Asante Samuel, Dan Koppen, and Tully Banta-Cain.

Not to mention free agent signings Ted Washington, Colvin, Tyrone Poole, Rodney Harrison, Probably a few more but I can't remember.

When Belichick has that much extra time in the off season to plan he's very dangerous.  Last time the Pats didn't make the playoffs they won the 2 following super bowls

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nykrb. Show nykrb's posts

There is no doubt this was the best draft they had in years...

They haven't had an offseason this well orchistrated since before their last SB win.

This offseason totally blows away 2005 and 2006, both in the Draft and Free Agency.  No comparison, this team obviously needed some new faces in the FO.

FA - Burgess, Bodden, Springs, Taylor, Baker, Lewis, Galloway...

Draft - Chung, Brace, Butler...

Been a long time coming...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Because top-of-second rounders usually work out and seventh rounders rarely work out.  Because top-of-second rounders don't hold out and are never huge busts by definition, unless perhaps a quarterback was drafted.  Because unless their knee ligaments get damaged, they're on the field soon, not sitting around for a year as projects.

Now, both third rounders have been "disasters" so far.  However, Tate might get on the field by NFL week 7 and he won't take up a valuable roster spot at the critical September 5 cutdown date. McKenzie also won't take up a roster spot on September 5 and may actually be more valuable in one year after he's gotten more experienced.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

It's too early to call McKenzie and Tate disasters. In fact, Tate was drafted knowing he had an injury, so, depending on how well he does in future seasons, he could be a steal. McKenzie's injury was unfortunate, but it appears the Patriots have enough personnel at ILB (Mayo, Bruschi, Guyton, Lenon) to get through the season, and, if not, Seau is still surfing in San Diego. McKenzie could come in next year and play well, so I think we should wait a few seasons before talking about whether he is a "disaster" or not. 
    I think the reasons this year's draft looks as good as it does, is there are four 2nd-round picks. Those players are supposed to look good, that's why they were drafted when they were. Time will tell just how talented they really are. Edelman and (to a lesser extent) Pryor are late-round draft picks that have looked surprisingly good (Ingram might be in that catagory, too). That certainly has made this year's class look good.
    However, the jury will be out for three-to-four seasons. It's possible (albiet highly unlikely) all four 2nd-rounders will be busts, Tate and McKenzie never fully recover from their injuries, and Orhnberger, Bussey, Edelman, Pryor, Richard and Ingram all get cut and don't clear waivers.
    But, yes, from an early perspective, the Patriots 2009 draft class looks pretty good.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

1.) Deep draft, without much top 10 talent.
    2.) A host of 2nd round picks in the quality range.
    3.) Opposing team needs that pressed our quality players like Chung and Butler lower than where they could have gone.
    4.) BB getting more involved.
    5.) Floyd Reese.

It is a number of things.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

zbellino.....and you just listed most, if not all, of those things....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

In Response to Re: Why does the Patriots 2009 Draft class look better than years past?:
    Though they look promising, I gotta quote the wolf on this one. "Lets not start sucking each others d!cks quite yet."
    Posted by tartarus12

Or ever for that matter...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Connor Barwin had a sack today against Brandon Albert, but even so, I'm very happy with the draft.

I had wanted William Beatty over Volmer, but I'm glad Volmer is looking so good. Whether or not he is the long-term solution at LT is another question, but this draft is looking brilliant.

Orhnberger is also going to make the team, and Tate is going to look like a star with Tom Brady, whenever he gets healthy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Michael Johnson is looking sweet for Cincinatti though. That remains my one true regret of the draft.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapi61. Show BigPapi61's posts

I watched the Texans vs the Chiefs tonight and my first thought was, Cassel has seen better days. There were 3 picks I thought Patriot material when I was watching the draft.

I knew the Pats needed LB help so I said Cushing would be a good call. I also picked Barwin and Casey as later picks. Funny how someone on the Texans saw that also. 

I think Chung and Butler will be studs in short order. I have learned watching drafts that BB knows best and yes I will have another serving of koolaid, thank you
    No doubt Houston had a good draft. I root for them because they are my local team. I'm pissed because I'm not in New England.

As to this class looking better than years past, we will know in a few years. Did you pick Mayo to be a stud?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

I though Mayo and Curtis Lofton looked about the same. Both turned out to be good values where they were drafted, but Lofton was taken 28 picks later.

Sections
Shortcuts