Why Does the Pats D Consistently Choke?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Why Does the Pats D Consistently Choke?

Even when they were winning Super Bowls, the D choked. 
    2001 SB 4th Quarter they give up two TD's and win only because they got the ball back with enough time.
    2003 regular season game against the Colts.
    2003 SB 4th Quarter they give up three TD's and win only because they got the ball back with enough time.
    2004 SB 4th Quarter they give up a touchdown and allow the Eagles to get the ball back at the end of the game for a potential game winning drive (fortunately the QB on the other side was blowing chunks in the huddle).
    2006 AFC Championship Game
    2007 Super Bowl
    2009 Colts Game

In the biggest games, the Pats defense folds more often than it doesn't.

The question - why? And how to fix it.

Is it the lack of a grind it out running game? The two times the Pats beat the Colts in the playoffs it was because of a grind it out running game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Re: Why Does the Pats D Consistently Choke?

Wow, they won 2001 and 2003 SB, but they choked? 

Looks like the TROLLS are out in full force today.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

In Response to Re: Why Does the Pats D Consistently Choke?:
    [QUOTE]Wow, they won 2001 and 2003 SB, but they choked?  Looks like the TROLLS are out in full force today.....
    Posted by m1020us[/QUOTE]

The D choked in those games. They one because Brady bailed them out. Seriously? I'm a troll for recognizing a trend? 

Wow. You have a finely tuned bias don't you?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

the D chokes because they have ZERO pass rush which gives the QB all day to go through his reads and eventually someone comes free.  The Pats also s u c k at tackling how many do they miss a game, they never get the ball carrier down on first contact.  and also the other guys are on scholarship too.  and maybe their prevent is preventing them from winning.  I have no faith in this defense and have not had any in 3 years.  this unit absolutly S U C K S and don't see them improvining either, I have been waiting for them to improve for several years now and they trot out the same heartless losers again and again.  Bring in fresh blood

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Anytime the colts are involved there is always the zebra factor. do you ever remember a game in Indy where there is not always a joke of a pass interference called on the Pats?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from John413. Show John413's posts

I'll say upfront that I want Belichick to be Pats' coach for life.  He deserves it based on 3 SB titles.

But...BB's strength is not making in-game adjustments.  The Pats' have typically won by coming out with a good game plan, then the other team makes adjustments, then the Pats make NO adjustments, fall behind, or have it turn into a nail-biter, then Brady pulls the game out of his @ss in the last minutes. 

So I don't think the defense "chokes", I think BB stubbornly sticks to something that isn't working.  Like in all the games you referenced.  And evidenced by the Pats staying in "pass prevent" last night, even after Manning walked down the field in a minute against it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

In Response to Why Does the Pats D Consistently Choke?:
    [QUOTE]Even when they were winning Super Bowls, the D choked.  2001 SB 4th Quarter they give up two TD's and win only because they got the ball back with enough time. 2003 regular season game against the Colts. 2003 SB 4th Quarter they give up three TD's and win only because they got the ball back with enough time. 2004 SB 4th Quarter they give up a touchdown and allow the Eagles to get the ball back at the end of the game for a potential game winning drive (fortunately the QB on the other side was blowing chunks in the huddle). 2006 AFC Championship Game 2007 Super Bowl 2009 Colts Game In the biggest games, the Pats defense folds more often than it doesn't. The question - why? And how to fix it. Is it the lack of a grind it out running game? The two times the Pats beat the Colts in the playoffs it was because of a grind it out running game.
    Posted by Caesar1177[/QUOTE]

This is a great post.  I'm glad somebody recognizes that the D has been choking all decade and not just since 2005.  I think the answer is that it's just the nature of the game.  It's not just the Pats.  The mighty Steelers defense choked in the super bowl last year, then the Cardinals choked.  The Giants D choked right before ours choked.  Even back in the '99 super bowl, the Rams came within a yard of choking away the title.  Everybody chokes. 

The lesson ... make sure your team is the one with the ball with 1:00 to go ... and don't play prevent offense ... score like your life depends on it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

what happened a few years ago is done,and over with.we got younger this year on defense so we can play 4 qtrs of football without getting winded. now after haveing a 31-14 lead in the 4th qtr in last nights game,the pats shouldnt have to worry about playing,or not playing prevent offense if the defense had decided that there was a 4th qtr.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

It wasn't as important for the defense to adjust.

It was more important for the Patriots to execute on the opportunities they were given, like when they only came away with 6 points on on two field goals on three promising drives instead of scoring touchdowns.  The Maroney fumble especially hurt them because if he held it, he would have had a touchdown based on where he landed after coughing it up.  Why he didn't have the ball secured (watch the replay and you'll see him holding it out there) is really beyond me, but that cost them the game.  That was beyond stupid.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leonard15. Show Leonard15's posts

The Defence choked last night b/c they didn't have a pass rush in the 4th and also couldn't cover any of the Colts receivers. Their Defence is not equipped to stop high powered offenses and thus the Saints will do the same to them in a couple of weeks. Unless the Pats start hanging 40+ a game like 07 they will be burnt again in the playoffs if they have to go to Indy.

As far as the Defenses in 01,03,04 well they had better pass rushing and pass coverage hence Peyton Manning had fits with their defence with the exception of the 2003 regular season game in Indy. In 04 the Pats front 7 could cover up for a injured up secondary but since then the Pats defence has been in decline as is only as good as how many points the offense can score and thus sometimes 34 may not be enough points when the opposing QB is named Peyton Manning or Drew Brees in a couple of weeks.

Sections
Shortcuts