Why does the Pats offense play worse in the 2nd half in almost every game?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Why does the Pats offense play worse in the 2nd half in almost every game?

First off I'm obviously happy they won but this is a trend for sure against the better teams. They have chance to lay the smack down or put away teams many many times this year and seem to sputter. I don't understand it. 2 out of the 3 losses they have were because of the offense in the 2nd half and some might even say they could have scored more on Indy. They just seem to let teams hang around when they shouldn't really even be in the game. I'm hoping getting Sammy Morris back and possible Fred Taylor will give them a little boost on the 3rd and short plays and in the red zone. Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonh86. Show jasonh86's posts

Re: Why does the Pats offense play worse in the 2nd half in almost every game?

I've been noticing this as well and it's driving me insane!

They're going to have to get that fixed before playoff time for sure.  I think they'll even need improvement next week because a non-scoring offense in the 2nd half will not get the game won against the Saints. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

yeah, they seem to try to play conservative.  it just feels bad, and then worse.  During the Jets 2nd half, I got that sinking feeling I got last week, and in 2006.  But go to 2007, last 5 or 6 games, same thing.  I am not sure what it is.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

The issue is with the Defense, primarily the front 7. We did not have the defenders or the ones we had were tired (especially in the Indy and Bronco games) so we can't get the pass rush we need.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gridlocked. Show gridlocked's posts

The second half all else being equal is simply about superior conditioning and coaching adjustments.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

My guess is that the new O Coordinator isn't good (yet) at anticipating the adjustments the other team will make at halftime.  Or perhaps they wait until the other team proves they can stop them before they adjust?

The same can be said of our D.  BB is a great defensive mind, but it sure looks like he goes conservative somewhat quickly when he has the lead.  Yes, we made some key stops on turnovers, but the Jets were able to move the ball much better in the 2nd half.  I say BB and not Pees because this tendency can be traced back a long way with BB; even back to his Giants days.  There was even an article on this a couple of years ago.  Although Sanchez looked like a chump today, how many QB's have we seen look like all-pro's in the 2nd half over the years?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Why does the Pats offense play worse in the 2nd half in almost every game?:
    [QUOTE]First off I'm obviously happy they won but this is a trend for sure against the better teams. They have chance to lay the smack down or put away teams many many times this year and seem to sputter. I don't understand it. 2 out of the 3 losses they have were because of the offense in the 2nd half and some might even say they could have scored more on Indy. They just seem to let teams hang around when they shouldn't really even be in the game. I'm hoping getting Sammy Morris back and possible Fred Taylor will give them a little boost on the 3rd and short plays and in the red zone. Thoughts?
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

1) Because teams do make adjustments
    2) Patriots offensive play calling gets more conservative - because the defense goes soft and lets teams back into the game.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

WOW!  Im glad someone brought this up.

When they played 2 possible playoff teams...(indy...denver) they did this and lost.

They did this with miami and again today with the jets.

Im not sure whats going on but if they keep this up they will not get too far if they make the playoffs.

Good teams capatilize off momentum.  Pats have been very inconsistent in the 2nd half of the games against quality opponents.

I think thats why BB defers the kick when they win the coin toss.  He wants to make sure that the Offense keeps whatever momentum they had when they finished the 1st half.

Just my opinion.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

In Response to Re: Why does the Pats offense play worse in the 2nd half in almost every game?:
    [QUOTE]The issue is with the Defense, primarily the front 7. We did not have the defenders or the ones we had were tired (especially in the Indy and Bronco games) so we can't get the pass rush we need.
    Posted by NYC[/QUOTE]

What does that have to do with the offense scoring zero points in 2nd half of Jets and Broncos game then scoring 7 points this week when the D only gave up 7 the whole game?  Then up 17 on Indy and can't get any more points on the board. The offense is undercheiving far more than the defense. Were expected to be one of the top offenses I'm pretty sure nobody thought we'd be in the top 5 in points per game on D.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

The biggest problem I saw:
    21 and 21 heavy = run

When there's two tight ends and two receivers on the field, or when there are two receivers, one tight end, and one lineman reporting eligible, it's either a run or a flea flicker.

When they go spread, it's going to be a pass or a draw

I don't think they have a formation that's balanced with regards to presenting defenses with the threat of either run or pass.

I also don't think this team has what it takes to run out the clock - they're either driving hard and fast to score or they're going 3-and-out.  Corey Dillon ain't walking through that door.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sodiumpentothal. Show sodiumpentothal's posts

play calling plain and simple. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oleme. Show oleme's posts

The coaching.  They try to sit on leads.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agent56. Show agent56's posts

In Response to Why does the Pats offense play worse in the 2nd half in almost every game?:
    [QUOTE]First off I'm obviously happy they won but this is a trend for sure against the better teams. They have chance to lay the smack down or put away teams many many times this year and seem to sputter. I don't understand it. 2 out of the 3 losses they have were because of the offense in the 2nd half and some might even say they could have scored more on Indy. They just seem to let teams hang around when they shouldn't really even be in the game. I'm hoping getting Sammy Morris back and possible Fred Taylor will give them a little boost on the 3rd and short plays and in the red zone. Thoughts?

I could not agree more.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Complacency. 

The O tries to burn clock, the D gives the other team as much as they can take.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mnp3a. Show mnp3a's posts

In Response to Re: Why does the Pats offense play worse in the 2nd half in almost every game?:
    [QUOTE] (...) I also don't think this team has what it takes to run out the clock - they're either driving hard and fast to score or they're going 3-and-out.  Corey Dillon ain't walking through that door.
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

exactly!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

When we were winning Superbowls do you remember what we would do on our first possesion in the 3rd quarter almost every game? Score and most times score a touchdown. We used to be the team that made the good adjustments at half time. With the exception of Tennessee I don't believe we have come out in the 3rd quarter and done that at all this year.I'm too lazy to look it up but it is something I look for every week and I end shaking my head when we don't. It would seem, (as many people have noted) that maybe other teams are making better adjustments than we are.Also, when we get up points in the 2nd half we may be getting a little predictable. If the other team knows we are going to run the ball, we can't do it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoHoldingCalls. Show NoHoldingCalls's posts

In the first half, you see the flea flicker, a reverse, elaborate screens, etc.
    In the second half, you never see any of these plays.
    Are these plays the big yardage plays?  No, but they keep the defense on their heels.  It leaves them guessing.  In the second half right now, we only run a very limited variety of plays.  It's stale and the defense knows what's coming.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_483130. Show user_483130's posts

ewhite hit nail on the head, it used to be that whatever the other team was doing good either offensively or defensively in first half was adjusted for by Pats in second half. I just don't see those noticeable half time adjs against the good teams this year.

One note about Indy game defensive berakdown... that was mostly due IMO to the heat of the dome and Manning run no huddle, which eliminates substitution and wheres down defense. I was thinking yesteday, the Pats should try that offensive if they play Colts in playoffs - wear down the Colts defense and take crowd out of game too.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

[QUOTE]In the first half, you see the flea flicker, a reverse, elaborate screens, etc. In the second half, you never see any of these plays. Are these plays the big yardage plays?  No, but they keep the defense on their heels.  It leaves them guessing.  In the second half right now, we only run a very limited variety of plays.  It's stale and the defense knows what's coming.
    Posted by NoHoldingCalls[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Someone posted a thread earlier on in the week saying he thought we should go with more gadget plays to keep the Aggressive Jets D off balance. I was happy to see it in the first half but you are correct, They went Vanilla on us in the 2nd half.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

the problem is the pats are predictable.they dont do anything fancy,or tricky.they have there same formations,and looks every year.it just comes down to beating the pats or loseing.even though the screens to welker,and the dump offs to faulk are very successful.im also seeing them get stuffed more then it use to be.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Playcalling/Coaching (o-cord). 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

All this whining one would think they lost.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gfkr2. Show gfkr2's posts

The reason is simple, really.

No Patriots running game= predicabilty.

The opposing defense makes adjustments and keys on Brady with blitz pressure.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]play calling plain and simple. 
    Posted by sodiumpentothal[/QUOTE]

Bingo... offensive play calling and clock management to be specific.  Bill Belichick is the defensive coordinator and typically is huddled up with the defenders in the 2nd half while O'Brien is recycling the same plays from the first half.

We've had more costly timeouts, delay of game penalties and obvious plays called for easy stops this season than I've ever seen during Bill's tenure.  Too often with a big lead going into the 2nd half we come out in spread formations and try to pass ourselves to a win...   running the ball and play action in the first half is what got us that lead.

Until we get an offensive coordinator who knows how to burn time off the clock with power running, short passes, screens and the ability to convert third downs than really good opposing teams are always going to be in the game right up to the end.  This doesn't bode well for us in the playoffs...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Tom:

1st half: The coaches have the first half scripted when the game starts. they have watched the films and know what to expect. They know the weakness in the D and exploit it. The D does not have time to react and in yesterdays game, is back on it's heels.

2nd half: The D works during half time to reset what the O is doing. The coaches have planned based on 1st half tendencies how to overcome the O plans. Of course the O tries to mix it up and some times it works, sometimes it does not.

Being ahead factor: We had a strong lead. O tends to be less aggressive, not wanting to blow a good lead on one pick or fumble. This also slows the game. Some will say o coach, disagree. how is it that they are good in the 1st half with the same coach? Some will say no run game: We had a fine run game yesterday.

To me it was a great game, jump out to a good lead and hold it....mission accomplished.

Sections
Shortcuts