Why does the Pats offense play worse in the 2nd half in almost every game?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: Why does the Pats offense play worse in the 2nd half in almost every game?

I think it's 2 issues.  First, the opposing team is making adjustments at half time and the Pats seem slow to make counter adjustments.  Secondly, the Pats start to play ball control, running the ball more in the second half to eat up the clock.  And when they need to throw the ball, they run into the opposing team's defensive adjustments.

Against the Jets... when everything you are doing is working, it's hard to make adjustments. 

On the other hand, it's good that they get a lead and work on running the ball. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Bill Belichick and crew are tremendous strategists.  BB regularly sets up his team all week to play in ways that spell disaster for the opponent.  The opponent comes in cold, not knowing what the Pats have rehearsed for a week.

In the second half, the opponent has had 20 minutes of peace and quiet to figure out how to counter the worst of the new Patriots' looks.

The second reason is that BB plays prevent in the 4th quarter.  Maybe 1 time out of 20 a game where you're ahead slips away with the prevent, but 19 wins out of 20 is the correct way to play if you want Super Bowls.  The offense's part of the prevent is to run the ball up the middle despite the odds, and to throw low-risk, low-profit passes.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

In Response to Why does the Pats offense play worse in the 2nd half in almost every game?:
    [QUOTE]First off I'm obviously happy they won but this is a trend for sure against the better teams. They have chance to lay the smack down or put away teams many many times this year and seem to sputter. I don't understand it. 2 out of the 3 losses they have were because of the offense in the 2nd half and some might even say they could have scored more on Indy. They just seem to let teams hang around when they shouldn't really even be in the game. I'm hoping getting Sammy Morris back and possible Fred Taylor will give them a little boost on the 3rd and short plays and in the red zone. Thoughts?
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

I was going to ask this question; saw your post.  Perhaps, the Pats should have two offensive strategies (i.e. first/second half)?  It certainly appears as though opposing teams are adjusting for the second hald and the Pats are content to find out if these adjustments will last the entire half.  Well, so far, many of them have.  Why not just anticipate this set of strategies?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

In Response to Re: Why does the Pats offense play worse in the 2nd half in almost every game?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Why does the Pats offense play worse in the 2nd half in almost every game? : Tom: 1st half: The coaches have the first half scripted when the game starts. they have watched the films and know what to expect. They know the weakness in the D and exploit it. The D does not have time to react and in yesterdays game, is back on it's heels. 2nd half: The D works during half time to reset what the O is doing. The coaches have planned based on 1st half tendencies how to overcome the O plans. Of course the O tries to mix it up and some times it works, sometimes it does not. Being ahead factor: We had a strong lead. O tends to be less aggressive, not wanting to blow a good lead on one pick or fumble. This also slows the game. Some will say o coach, disagree. how is it that they are good in the 1st half with the same coach? Some will say no run game: We had a fine run game yesterday. To me it was a great game, jump out to a good lead and hold it....mission accomplished.
    Posted by gmbill[/QUOTE]

Most of what you said refers to the Jet's game and has nothing to do with scoring zero points in 2 2nd halfs this season and having a 17 point lead on Indy and not scoring anymore points. I'm talking about almost all the games in general they have played worse in the 2nd half barring blowouts against Tampa and Tenn which weren't even competitive.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Why does the Pats offense play worse in the 2nd half in almost every game?:
    [QUOTE]the problem is the pats are predictable.they dont do anything fancy,or tricky.they have there same formations,and looks every year.it just comes down to beating the pats or loseing.even though the screens to welker,and the dump offs to faulk are very successful.im also seeing them get stuffed more then it use to be.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

I've been sayin' that for years.....people get mad every time it's brought up....lol :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradythebest. Show Bradythebest's posts

Yesterday I noticed, Runm run and spread and throw. Very predictable. In one series spread 4/5 wideouts and throw. Why can't they mix it up like first half. I know BB is more knowledgeble than us, there must be something which we don't know..... BB is not dumb to notice this. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kella. Show Kella's posts

Big letdown when the kick was blocked--Coach should have seen that
    coming--gave them a big boost.
    Kella at large

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kella. Show Kella's posts

Big boost to Jets with the blocked kick--Coach should have seen that coming.
    We lost our 'Mojo'
    Kella

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Opposing teams make adjustments at halftime and most always start to send six defenders at Brady hence all the quick short dink and dunk passes. This goes back to the Super Bowl against the Giants. Pressure and hit Brady. 
    Brady is operating at a disadvantage because Belichick did not give him a true third WR. We'd look better with Fred taylor in at running back too. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtcat. Show vtcat's posts

I've seen more head scratchers, when it comes to offensive play calling (sequences of run vs. pass), this year, than I can remember seeing in the past. The imagination we used to see, from the O seems to be lacking...and...it seems to get more noticeable, in the second half of games. Predictability kills, in the NFL. I agree, also,  that the half-time adjustments BB used to be acclaimed for, aren't nearly as effective as in the past.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

I think the opposition's adjustments do have a lot to do with it. But like Ron F said, teams are coming after Brady when they are behind. At that point they know they need to take risks to get back into the game. And the O-line has been plagued with injuries. They've had to shuffle guys around, and that means more pressure on Brady in the second half. I've heard Morris is close to returning, and that should help. Maroney has been doing pretty well, but Sammy is much better at the 3rd and short up the middle power runs. The OC being new is also a factor. Remember it took Josh a while to get up to speed. I'd love to see Charlie come back should ND can him, which may well happen. The good thing is they are on track to win the division (and thus be guaranteed the playoffs), and they usually improve down the stretch. The Saints will be a good test. If they cannot put up points (and TDs, not FGs) in the second half in NO they will surely lose the game. I can't see Brees throwing Bodden the ball three times this Sunday! But I'm sure if we are noticing this here, Bill is also quite aware and is working on a fix. Also, like someone mentioned, a third WR would help out a lot, as teams are taking Moss away.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]The Colts dont have a running game and look how good their playaction works...if you give a team 2 things to defend there is an element of surprise..I 'd like for us to line up 2 TE's when we have the lead and hammer it out,and playaction it would be open all day....instead we run plays out of shotgun on 4th and 2, which is a run down, but we make ourselves one dimensional with the gun, and only other option is a draw...we are makin it too easy on the "D"///I loved the good ol days before all this explosive offense..where we would line up inside the 5 and playaction to a wide open Dan.Graham....we didnt have explosive offenses then. but we almost always scored in the redzone...One has to wonder do we get too cute in the redzone cuz we have all these options...when really all you should be doing is pounding it out, or run playaction...but when you go shotgun from the 10 yard line...you are concedind pass, and the defense can drop 8 guys in the endzone, and make you force it in........Its frustrating..cuz we are capable.,..jsut being stubborn....we have all these garbage teams that dont score much, but when they do get into the redzone they take advantage..its almost ho hum with us..like yeah..we'll be down here again...Uuuughhhhhh...O'bie..please step it up!
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. They go empty set way too much. I don't mind to start the game because they usually strike quick and they want to no huddle the first few drives to really keep the other teams D off balance  but in the 2nd half they do the same thing and the other team adjusts. They will go empty on 1st down negating any screen or play action or running plays. It gets aggravating especially in the redzone. At least put a back out there to show a threat of a run or a pass to to flat by him..don't keep going shotgun empty and show nothing but pass. Obviously we go were Brady takes on offense but it's a bit lopsided at times. They also don't even utilize Watson on the other teams linebackers. I'm hoping we get some of our backs back will help.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why does the Pats offense play worse in the 2nd half in almost every game? : Most of what you said refers to the Jet's game and has nothing to do with scoring zero points in 2 2nd halfs this season and having a 17 point lead on Indy and not scoring anymore points. I'm talking about almost all the games in general they have played worse in the 2nd half barring blowouts against Tampa and Tenn which weren't even competitive.
    Posted by tompenny[/QUOTE]

Refers to every game, but I am not the one asking the question

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Why does the Pats offense play worse in the 2nd half in almost every game? : Refers to every game, but I am not the one asking the question
    Posted by gmbill[/QUOTE]

Yeah. I guess that's why you reference yesterday's game over and over...I guess in some strange world the leads we had on Denver and the Jets were strong ones so they decided to go conservative or in other words the Pats don't know how to make half time adjustments.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBcheats. Show BBcheats's posts

[QUOTE]ewhite hit nail on the head, it used to be that whatever the other team was doing good either offensively or defensively in first half was adjusted for by Pats in second half. I just don't see those noticeable half time adjs against the good teams this year. One note about Indy game defensive berakdown... that was mostly due IMO to the heat of the dome and Manning run no huddle, which eliminates substitution and wheres down defense. I was thinking yesteday, the Pats should try that offensive if they play Colts in playoffs - wear down the Colts defense and take crowd out of game too.
    Posted by OldDomPats[/QUOTE]

You may be right....and with no Willie Mcginnest to fake an injury...trouble!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sonieboy. Show sonieboy's posts

[QUOTE]WOW!  Im glad someone brought this up. When they played 2 possible playoff teams...(indy...denver) they did this and lost. They did this with miami and again today with the jets. Im not sure whats going on but if they keep this up they will not get too far if they make the playoffs. Good teams capatilize off momentum.  Pats have been very inconsistent in the 2nd half of the games against quality opponents. I think thats why BB defers the kick when they win the coin toss.  He wants to make sure that the Offense keeps whatever momentum they had when they finished the 1st half. Just my opinion.
    Posted by patsfaninsatx[/QUOTE]
    Coin toss are you kidding us or what? The Pats play basically 1 quarter of each game. All that they had to do with the Colts in the 2nd half was match their scores, but they didn't.  You can put up another L if they keep the same mind set as they have had. I for one am very concerned.

Sections
Shortcuts