why doesn't matt gutierrez get more credit?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzy1. Show fuzzy1's posts

Gutierrez looked like he lacked the confidence to lead the team last year. He made some plays, but don't forget he was not a big time college player, and nobody else wanted him when the Patriots put him on the practice squad. Maybe he made some strides this year, but I don't see him being much more than a servicable practice squad QB, at least until he learns to keep his head up when he doesn't make a play.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

I'd rather have Gutierrez over Ramsey.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 9ewC58O3. Show 9ewC58O3's posts

I'd like to get in on this thread! It's funny that people continually keep saying that Gootz needs to complete and try harder. In the last two years all you ever read about during pre-season was how much Gootz was staying after practice when everyone else had left to exercise or throw passes and working extremely hard. I don't think he has had the opportunities to develop his 'live game' skills just like Cassel hadn't really either until he got thrust into an actual live game situation. As regarding being cut last year, I think this was done because space was needed on the roster/practice squad because he was brought back directly. If you remember what happened with Justin Rodgers, B.B. tried to hide him on the P.S. and he got taken by Dallas. When Gootz was cut he was probably a safe bet that he wouldn't get taken because there wasn't outside interest. Gootz was also in line to be a starter at Michigan, where Brady was from but I think he got injured and lost that opportunity.

I think Gootz has great passion and drive for the game and the position, just like someone else we know, but hasn't had that same kind of opportunities. since B.B. likes veterns experience, if Gootz can stick around a while longer maybe B.B. will see what he needs to in Gootz.

Anyway, thats my effort at defending him on the Patriots squad.

Mark

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stupideeediot. Show Stupideeediot's posts

I think Guitierrez will wind up a a QB and O'Connell will wind up as a TE or WR and emergency QB. That's my 2 cents.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

a-bone,

not trying to whine about, just, as you said, stir up debate. i believe that is the point of these forums, debate, discuss, etc. I am all for the concept of "in Bill we trust," in terms of giving the guy credit for knowing more about the pats than any of us and for almost always making the right calls, however, what is the point in forums if all subjects are nipped in the bud with in bill we trust?

I just thought about this when folks were talking about bringing in ramsey or drafting a qb in the late rounds--

I suppose bb saw something in mc in practices and the off-season that he didn't see in gutierrez.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

What I remember vividly about Cassel in '07 was relieving Brady against Miami with a four-touchdown lead and promptly throwing a pick that was returned for a touchdown, prompting Brady to put his pads back on. If memory serves, that was the last time we saw Cassel. It would make sense to see O'Connell in certain mop-up situations, if they arise, but Belichick hasn't shown himself to be very inclined in that direction.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Wasn't Gutz rockin' the p0rn stash last preseason?

IIRC, that is why he was fired.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

It’s rather obvious that BB doesn’t really care for the guy either. If I remember correctly he cut him. That’s got to tell you something.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bunchofpixels. Show bunchofpixels's posts

In 07, the Patriots were obviously trying to get the TD record for Brady/Moss so they didnt give Cassel much playing time even in blowouts. Do you see O'Connell getting some reps in the 4th quarter of blowout games in the upcoming season now that the records are out of the way?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

If Brady doesn't go down last season, Gutierrez (sp?) isn't even on the team and I would be surprised to see him around next season. At some point, you have to progress or move on. I'll admit Gutz didn't look any worse than Cassel in the preseason last year, but that's like saying "Cabin Boy" wasn't any worse than "Ishtar" (or whatever you can think of that sucks worse than just about everything else). I'm sure I was not the only person absolutely flabbergasted at how quickly Matt Cassel graduated from a slapstick comic to an actual NFL quarterback in 2008. I do not expect that particular bolt of lightning to strike twice and I will be watching Cassel with great interest to see if perhaps he was some kind of optical illusion last season. At the very least, it makes sense to bring in a vet or draft a project late (or both) to put some pressure on Gutierrez for that third spot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctpat. Show ctpat's posts

Last year everyone wanted him as the back-up to tb (including me). he looked better in the pre-season games despite having less time in the system(granted it was with all 3rd stringers). Then cassel gets the nod and takes over for tb and after a rocky start starts looking like a future star. My question is why has gutierrez gone from being the fans pick to back-up tb last year to being thought of as a guy who is not even an adequate 3rd stringer? I would believe having o'connell (a high draft pick) and gutierrez, a guy who has experiance in the system and has done well in limited spots, would end any questions about getting a veteran qb.

thought?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

He looked good in games last year but it was against 3rd stringers and with O Connel right in front of him eh wont see much more action then that either so i dont expect him to progress much which would spell teh end of his career so i think he will be cut and out of the league next year.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

I haven't seen a massive outcry that Gutierrez be replaced as 3rd string quarterback.
    Can you include a link to this broad-based belief, or are you just stirring up debate?

I'm happy with Gutierrez as 3rd string QB, but he and O'Connell both do lack NFL game experience. If BB wants to look at veterans for that 3rd string spot, I'm not going to start a post whining about it.

You should also remember that just because Gutierrez played better than Cassel in a couple preseason games, that doesn't mean he is automatically going to do better in real games. I don't see teams lining up to trade high 2nd rounders or first rounders for Gutierrez, Denver included.

In BB we trust, and in the meantime, in Gutierrez as 3rd stringer I am satisfied.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Yeah sorry to call you out like that. I did search back 3 pages of threads for the Ramsay one, and didn't see too much excitement.

I guess the fact that BB was kicking Ramsay's tires isn't a great sign of his confidence in Gutierrez, but whatever.

I think Cassel's success will be great for the confidence of our young backups. I'd be more confident knowing it can be done.

It'll be fun watching these backups in the pre-season again, and in blowouts. Not so much in other circumstances.

Sections
Shortcuts