Why Havent Pats Extended Talib? Before Its Too Late

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Why Havent Pats Extended Talib? Before Its Too Late

If he kills it and we win a trohy, it might be too late to sign him to a reasonable pats contract (with a behavior clause). im on record of advocating that we'd have done it after his first game with us.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Re: Why Havent Pats Extended Talib? Before Its Too Late

Who says Talib wants to sign a contract now?

Kid just came off of being suspended and traded. From his perspective, he's probably smart for trying to hit the open market.

I am hesistant to give this guy a big contract because his off field issues. You mentioned a behavioral clause, but that's something Talib would have to agree with too. I'm sure there are teams out there that would give Talib money without a behavioral clause (like the Lions)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Kid just came off of being suspended and traded. From his perspective, he's probably smart for trying to hit the open market.

I am hesistant to give this guy a big contract because his off field issues. You mentioned a behavioral clause, but that's something Talib would have to agree with too. I'm sure there are teams out there that would give Talib money without a behavioral clause (like the Lions)

[/QUOTE]

we dont know whats happening behid the scenes. he was literally almost out of the league when we signed him. doing it when he only could gain would have been how i tried to play it, ie, immediately. detroit has so uch questionable character if tehy go in that direction any more i odnt think they get better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If he kills it and we win a trohy, it might be too late to sign him to a reasonable pats contract (with a behavior clause). im on record of advocating that we'd have done it after his first game with us.

[/QUOTE]

OTOH, if we don't win it will be a long offseason watching the police blotter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to MoreRings' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

like i said behavior based contract. makng him stay in town seems to work.

also other thant perf stuff, talib hasnt been in trouble in quite a while

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to MoreRings' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

like i said behavior based contract. makng him stay in town seems to work.

also other thant perf stuff, talib hasnt been in trouble in quite a while

[/QUOTE]

True. I love his play on the field. I would like to we him back.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

He hasn't proven anything except that he might be the real deal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

we dont know whats happening behid the scenes. he was literally almost out of the league when we signed him. doing it when he only could gain would have been how i tried to play it, ie, immediately. detroit has so uch questionable character if tehy go in that direction any more i odnt think they get better.

[/QUOTE]

Again, always two sides to the negotiation. I doubt he would sign the Pats a favorable deal as soon as they traded him when his own stock was as low as it gets. He saw his former teammate, Eric Wright, get 5 years and 37.5 million. I, for one, think Talib is the better cornerback.

If I were Talib, I would play out my games with the Pats without signing a contract. Hit the open market, then make the big bucks. If I struggle in my games with the Pats, then I do a 1 year deal and try to bring my stock back up.

Talib has an agent who knows how much of a premium there is on corners in this league. No good agent would sell low.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

I suspect that despite saying the right things while being here, Talib is the kind of guy who will want to see what his market value is after the season ends. If the Patriots win the Super Bowl with Talib playing shutdown corner, he will be in for huge payday. He is not going to pass that up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I suspect that despite saying the right things while being here, Talib is the kind of guy who will want to see what his market value is after the season ends. If the Patriots win the Super Bowl with Talib playing shutdown corner, he will be in for huge payday. He is not going to pass that up.

[/QUOTE]

frnk,

that was my point imediately after they signed him leverage woudl be no greater than thne when he was glad to just have a team. i posted here to extend him then

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

frnk,

that was my point imediately after they signed him leverage woudl be no greater than thne when he was glad to just have a team. i posted here to extend him then

[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjmsphd43. Show jjmsphd43's posts

Just occured to me while reading this thread, but it is possible that BB thinks the best he is going to get from Talib is with him playing for a contract and he has no intentions of resigning him regardless of how he plays in the post-season?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Pats don't do deals mid-season, but if Talib wants a 5 year 35 million dollar deal he'll get it. Both he and Vollmer are priority one to a Patriots dynasty. The guy is 26, he's easily our best CB and he allows Belichick to play McCourty where he is most suited--FS. 

It would be a shame to lose him, hope he's willing to take a team friendly deal. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to jjmsphd43's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just occured to me while reading this thread, but it is possible that BB thinks the best he is going to get from Talib is with him playing for a contract and he has no intentions of resigning him regardless of how he plays in the post-season?

[/QUOTE]

jjm,
    who knows whats happening behind the scenes, but it looks like that on the outside

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pats don't do deals mid-season, but if Talib wants a 5 year 35 million dollar deal he'll get it. Both he and Vollmer are priority one to a Patriots dynasty. The guy is 26, he's easily our best CB and he allows Belichick to play McCourty where he is most suited--FS. 

It would be a shame to lose him, hope he's willing to take a team friendly deal. 

[/QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken, Mayo was signed mid-season. More towards the end but still during the regular season

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

with you all the way around and for that matter as ive said abotu our fa and insgining them, id do talib anywhere 4-6 mil per year (with the behavior contract).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Right now, I just want him to play well in the playoffs. If the Pats win the Super Bowl, I would like to see him stay, but I will understand if the let him go sign some ridiculous contract elsewhere.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You're just so dumb it's amazing. The guy just got here, has little leverage and is nursing an injured hip and you want NE to throw an extension at him with Welker not done, during a playoff run?

Do we have this correct?

You and Phat Rex have the market cornered on knee jerk reactions.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. See how he does in the playoffs. Offer him reasonable money after the season. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

What's the rush with signing Talib?  He's not really done much to warrant a brand new shiny contract.  If he locks things down and gets an INT in the SB, we'll talk after the season ends.  There's no need to extend him now.  I think he enjoys being here and see no reason he wouldn't allow the Patriots to make a competetive offer.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You're just so dumb it's amazing. The guy just got here, has little leverage and is nursing an injured hip and you want NE to throw an extension at him with Welker not done, during a playoff run?

Do we have this correct?

[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. See how he does in the playoffs. Offer him reasonable money after the season. 

[/QUOTE]

He may get big offers elsewhere if he plays well, but if he does, see ya.  Personally, I think Talib knows this is his last stop and likes the environment here.

One step at a time.  Believe it or not, even with Talib's skills, BB has the leverage in negotiations.

[/QUOTE]

I do not think if he plays well this is his last stop. If he can play well he can get big money (with a good chunk of a guaranteed) from some stupid GM and then go back to his old ways. 

What leverage does BB have in the negotiations? Have you really seen anything to make you think that Talib wants a ring more than he wants a big contract? Unless winning is priority number one to a player, BB has no leverage so long as a team is willing to offer more years or dollars.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Do we have this correct?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He may get big offers elsewhere if he plays well, but if he does, see ya.  Personally, I think Talib knows this is his last stop and likes the environment here.

One step at a time.  Believe it or not, even with Talib's skills, BB has the leverage in negotiations.

[/QUOTE]

I do not think if he plays well this is his last stop. If he can play well he can get big money (with a good chunk of a guaranteed) from some stupid GM and then go back to his old ways. 

What leverage does BB have in the negotiations? Have you really seen anything to make you think that Talib wants a ring more than he wants a big contract? Unless winning is priority number one to a player, BB has no leverage so long as a team is willing to offer more years or dollars.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed. BB has little leverage in this. If we win the title this year, I would guess it might even increase the likelihood that Talib leaves. Talib is still young and has plenty of years left to chase that ring if he does not get it this year. More importantly, he's already been suspended once and has off field issues. He'll probably go to whoever offers the most guaranteed money.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken, Mayo was signed mid-season. More towards the end but still during the regular season

[/QUOTE]

As was Tom, but they're exceptions. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

When was the last time any player ever signed an extension during the playoffs? Don't you think all parties have more pressing things.

Sections
Shortcuts