Why I LOVE this win...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Why I LOVE this win...

It wasn't pretty, that's why.

Patriots fans have seemingly gotten used to those 2007-esque wins where Brady kept his jersey nice and tidy, the running game was a mere afterthought, and we put up points in a hurry. Sure, I'd take those days back but clearly, we're not that team right now and we may never be that team again.

I loved this win because there was a certain weather element to it. This factor also gave Gostkowski some much needed confidence as he nailed a 47-yard and 48-yard field goal in less than ideal conditions. It also showed a bit of resolve from the team. Moss had an off game but they played through that. Brady, instead of standing on the sideline was consoling Moss and patting him on the back. It shows Brady isn't so ticked off that he's just standing by himself after a horrible drive. The most important thing is that we had several fumbles, key drops, and some breakdowns in coverage. Still, when the going got tough, we made some plays on both ends of the ball. 2 of the 4 players sent home on Wednesday played pretty well. Guyton almost pulled down an interception which would have ended the game a bit earlier. Burgess had several hits on the QB, a key sack, and a handful of tackles. Moss will pull through, I think we can all sort of bank on that.

Maybe it's better we didnt' come out and drop a 59-0 game because perhaps that would led to a little more complacency and show that "hey, we have it and we know it." This game, we won AND there's PLENTY of room for improvement, which they will see Wednesday morning. I think it's the best of both worlds for a younger team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Re: Why I LOVE this win...

Blowouts are BS, you find out more about your team in close game (even when you lose) than you do in blowout.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Three turnovers today and they still won.  Is Carolina that bad?  Either way,  I with you.  I long for the days of the ugly wins.  Today we got one.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LifeTimePat. Show LifeTimePat's posts

AP.. agree with most of it.. good old days of just "find a way to win".

Disagreement on Moss though... I think NE lost him when he figured that this is not a repeat of 2007.

He has the money, he has the records but he doesn't have the ring.  Once he thought that this year is not an SB year, he checked out.

I really hope I'm wrong... but we'll see.

The GOOD news is that Brady only threw 3 times his way (I think) and didn't try to force him into the game.... All of a sudden, it looks like days of old with Watson involved etc.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JDonalds75. Show JDonalds75's posts

Yes, Carolina is that bad. 

But, it seems like a lot of fans, as well as the announcers just have a short memory.  Johnston today was saying how we aren't accustomed to NE being in games like this - where the offense isn't clicking, and defense would have to carry NE.  Where were these clowns before 2007?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

the pats did the opposite of what theyve been doing all year... they started off slow and got rolling right before halftime.  after the 41 yard bomb to steve smith, the patriots outscored the panthers 20 to 3... good defense, good clock management, and a little bit of luck.  solid win i think.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

In Response to Re: Why I LOVE this win...:
    the pats did the opposite of what theyve been doing all year... they started off slow and got rolling right before halftime.  after the 41 yard bomb to steve smith, the patriots outscored the panthers 20 to 3... good defense, good clock management, and a little bit of luck.  solid win i think.
    Posted by FOWLER8196

I noticed that as well. 

In the first half the offense looked completely out of sync and uninspired, but they turned it up in the 2nd half.

It was definately an ugly win but the win is what counts.

I loved seeing them spread the ball around on offense today.  It gave me a brief flashback of the good old days. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Why I LOVE this win...:
    It wasn't pretty, that's why. Patriots fans have seemingly gotten used to those 2007-esque wins where Brady kept his jersey nice and tidy, the running game was a mere afterthought, and we put up points in a hurry. Sure, I'd take those days back but clearly, we're not that team right now and we may never be that team again. I loved this win because there was a certain weather element to it. This factor also gave Gostkowski some much needed confidence as he nailed a 47-yard and 48-yard field goal in less than ideal conditions. It also showed a bit of resolve from the team. Moss had an off game but they played through that. Brady, instead of standing on the sideline was consoling Moss and patting him on the back. It shows Brady isn't so ticked off that he's just standing by himself after a horrible drive. The most important thing is that we had several fumbles, key drops, and some breakdowns in coverage. Still, when the going got tough, we made some plays on both ends of the ball. 2 of the 4 players sent home on Wednesday played pretty well. Guyton almost pulled down an interception which would have ended the game a bit earlier. Burgess had several hits on the QB, a key sack, and a handful of tackles. Moss will pull through, I think we can all sort of bank on that. Maybe it's better we didnt' come out and drop a 59-0 game because perhaps that would led to a little more complacency and show that "hey, we have it and we know it." This game, we won AND there's PLENTY of room for improvement, which they will see Wednesday morning. I think it's the best of both worlds for a younger team.
    Posted by apdynasty23

I'm glad we got the win when we played like $$hit. We have something to build on here. They looked worse than anything I have seen in the first half and they came out swinging in the second half. I'm hoping they swing for 4 quarters next week and I'm happy they made adjustments at half time this week. I would have given up if we lost this game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Why I LOVE this win...:
    It wasn't pretty, that's why. Patriots fans have seemingly gotten used to those 2007-esque wins where Brady kept his jersey nice and tidy, the running game was a mere afterthought, and we put up points in a hurry. Sure, I'd take those days back but clearly, we're not that team right now and we may never be that team again. I loved this win because there was a certain weather element to it. This factor also gave Gostkowski some much needed confidence as he nailed a 47-yard and 48-yard field goal in less than ideal conditions. It also showed a bit of resolve from the team. Moss had an off game but they played through that. Brady, instead of standing on the sideline was consoling Moss and patting him on the back. It shows Brady isn't so ticked off that he's just standing by himself after a horrible drive. The most important thing is that we had several fumbles, key drops, and some breakdowns in coverage. Still, when the going got tough, we made some plays on both ends of the ball. 2 of the 4 players sent home on Wednesday played pretty well. Guyton almost pulled down an interception which would have ended the game a bit earlier. Burgess had several hits on the QB, a key sack, and a handful of tackles. Moss will pull through, I think we can all sort of bank on that. Maybe it's better we didnt' come out and drop a 59-0 game because perhaps that would led to a little more complacency and show that "hey, we have it and we know it." This game, we won AND there's PLENTY of room for improvement, which they will see Wednesday morning. I think it's the best of both worlds for a younger team.
    Posted by apdynasty23

a win is a win. I'll take it.  3 turnovers....and another 4ths and something call by BB that didn't go well.  I would rather have punted the ball and count on our D to get the panthers on 3-and-out so we could get better field position. Saw a few guys with some enthusiasm, but let's face it...it was Carolina - and we should have beat them more handily.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Again, we all assumed that we'd come out and beat Carolina handily but remember a) it's the NFL and they always play every game no matter how bloody it looks on paper and b) those Patriots teams with swagger, confidence and pristine execution are no longer around; not saying we can't get there with this squad but they're still very young and inexperienced.

I refuse to call it a rebuilding year but let's say that it is for argument's sake, as Patriots fans we should be enthusiastic about rebuilding while still holding a division lead with 3 games to go. With the way the NFL is structured, that's not supposed to be possible.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBAZ22. Show DBAZ22's posts

AP while at first I would have thought you were crazy to make that statement, but taking a little further looking at the 13 games Carolina has played they were only blown out one time this season, and that was in their opener.  They are not a very good football team, but they have played 7 playoff or potential playoff teams and hung with or beat them.  Their pass defense is strong, but their rund defense is weak.  All that being said, my enthusiasm will be muted unless I see the Pats win their final 3 and gather some momentum headed into the playoffs. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Why I LOVE this win...:
    AP while at first I would have thought you were crazy to make that statement, but taking a little further looking at the 13 games Carolina has played they were only blown out one time this season, and that was in their opener.  They are not a very good football team, but they have played 7 playoff or potential playoff teams and hung with or beat them.  Their pass defense is strong, but their rund defense is weak.  All that being said, my enthusiasm will be muted unless I see the Pats win their final 3 and gather some momentum headed into the playoffs. 
    Posted by DBAZ22

Very good point about Carolina being a competitive team. I did not care to actually look that up. I always think it's hilarious when Belichick on Mondays goes "_____________ is a great football team. they play well on offense, defense and special teams. it'll be a real challenge for us." At times like this, you think he really does take each opponent seriously because I, like many of you, thought this one would be a laugher.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

I refuse to condemn Moss.  He may be hurt.....and he also head only short yardage guys in their with him....Edelman and Welker.  Carolina simply keyed their defense on him.  The one time he was open he did drop it...it happens.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Forgot.....Tate injured etc.  They still need another downfield guy ala Stallworth and/or Gaffney....they had both in 2007.  Get off Moss's back!!!! Randy I hope you read this!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts