Why I think Ridley is done

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Why I think Ridley is done

Watch that fumble again, there is one giant common theme that seems to occur in his running style that I've noticed over the last three years...he does this dumb little spin move and blindly slams his back into the line of scrimmage. I've commented on this before, how I can't believe a 220 pound running back adopts a running move/style of Barry Sanders. It may of worked for Baryy Sanders, but it's not going to work for your average power back.

Here's the good news...he only fumbled...he wasn't paralyzed or knocked into Aruba before his unconcious body hit the ground (see Baltimore playoff game).

Now this is why I don't think you'll see him again as a starter/lead runner...you can't tell me the coaches haven't demanded him to stop running like that. I imagine they sit down with him and discuss his running style. I imagine there are certain fumbles they can live with, but I can't see them living with a guy who doesn't play the way he is coached. And I can't see any running back coach allowing his runner to turn his back to the line of scrimmage where he can't actually see who is trying to tackle him, or how easliy it is to knock/punch the ball out. This is a fundlemental problem - when you are being taught fundlementals and ignore them you end up on the bench.

And another thing...the guy wears pajamas to work...the one's with the feet in them...footsie pajamas.... a full bodysuit, footsie pajama, with a teddy bear hood. I'm serious, he does that. He tries to sell them to the other players. That can't make Belichick feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Re: Why I think Ridley is done

In response to mthurl's comment:

Watch that fumble again, there is one giant common theme that seems to occur in his running style that I've noticed over the last three years...he does this dumb little spin move and blindly slams his back into the line of scrimmage. I've commented on this before, how I can't believe a 220 pound running back adopts a running move/style of Barry Sanders. It may of worked for Baryy Sanders, but it's not going to work for your average power back.

Here's the good news...he only fumbled...he wasn't paralyzed or knocked into Aruba before his unconcious body hit the ground (see Baltimore playoff game).

Now this is why I don't think you'll see him again as a starter/lead runner...you can't tell me the coaches haven't demanded him to stop running like that. I imagine they sit down with him and discuss his running style. I imagine there are certain fumbles they can live with, but I can't see them living with a guy who doesn't play the way he is coached. And I can't see any running back coach allowing his runner to turn his back to the line of scrimmage where he can't actually see who is trying to tackle him, or how easliy it is to knock/punch the ball out. This is a fundlemental problem - when you are being taught fundlementals and ignore them you end up on the bench.

And another thing...the guy wears pajamas to work...the one's with the feet in them...footsie pajamas.... a full bodysuit, footsie pajama, with a teddy bear hood. I'm serious, he does that. He tries to sell them to the other players. That can't make Belichick feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Agreed on the spin move;  time for him to leave it or NE behind!  My question is will BB start him against the Texans or will he ride the pine with Brandon Bolden getting the start?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to SilverSun's comment:

Agreed on the spin move;  time for him to leave it or NE behind!  My question is will BB start him against the Texans or will he ride the pine with Brandon Bolden getting the start?

I don't think you're going to see him start again (just my opinion). I think we are looking at a guy that hasn't taken to coaching...think about it...he hasn't improved as a pass catcher, they take him out on pass blocking situations and he is still doing that stupid spin move. That too me is a guy who is marching to the beat of his own drummer.

I do think he is the most talented runner we have though, but we are not talking about a dynamic running threat here by any stretch.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

He also carries the ball like a loaf of bread when going through a D line, I cringe everytime I see him swinging the ball around like that... he also has to learn how to avoid contact if he isn't the one initiating contact.  Earl Campbell hit people more than he got hit, Ridley gets hit too often, the spin move is a good example.  I don''t think he's done but I think he'll be riding the pine while Bolden gets those reps.  The return of Vereen helps us out in the explosiveness area.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Not sure how this Ridley fumble issue is going to play out but he understands the magnitude of the issue and is trying to do something about it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/29/kevin-faulk-tells-stevan-ridley-to-take-care-of-that-funk/

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

He also carries the ball like a loaf of bread when going through a D line, I cringe everytime I see him swinging the ball around like that... he also has to learn how to avoid contact if he isn't the one initiating contact.  Earl Campbell hit people more than he got hit, Ridley gets hit too often, the spin move is a good example.  I don''t think he's done but I think he'll be riding the pine while Bolden gets those reps.  The return of Vereen helps us out in the explosiveness area.

I think you're right.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

I think you're right.

Edleman scares me more with ball security. I'm surprised he doesn't get it knocked out of his hands more.  He swings his arm out making cuts which makes me want to close my eyes

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I don't think Ridley is done so much as I think he has some serious work to do should he want to achieve 'featured back' status.  I think he can do that and I think he can do it while he's in a Pats uniform.  This year?  Perhaps not, but the kid is too talented to be reconciled to the scrap heap over something that is fixable, IMO.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

"...he does this dumb little spin move and blindly slams his back into the line of scrimmage. I've commented on this before, "

You have been saying this for years and Sir, you are correct.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

I don't think Ridley is done so much as I think he has some serious work to do should he want to achieve 'featured back' status.  I think he can do that and I think he can do it while he's in a Pats uniform.  This year?  Perhaps not, but the kid is too talented to be reconciled to the scrap heap over something that is fixable, IMO.

You're way too reasonable for this forum.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I'm betting you felt the same way about Maroney, ATJ. And.... he isn't that talented. He pads stats aginst bad teams.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

You're way too reasonable for this forum.

Sorry - try as I might, I just couldn't get my fingers to type 'the guy's a slug - sh1tcan him'

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

I'm betting you felt the same way about Maroney, ATJ. And.... he isn't that talented. He pads stats aginst bad teams.

Actually, I was never a big Maroney fan, Babe.  I was rooting for him to succeed but wasn't surprised when BB cut his losses on him.

Hey, as I generally say:  time will tell on Ridley.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Disagree. 8-10 carries Sunday and building his confidence back up

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Ridley is by far the best RB on the roster, perhaps even the entire division(I know that Spiller plays in our division ). 

He's far from done. BB likes a project and Stevan Ridley's risk is way less than how much he could reward the team. Look at how many people have chimed in on the topic from the homestead to a national scale. Everyone sees the potential for him, and I'm sure Bill sees it better than anyone.

The Pats need him more than he needs us. A back that talented, at the tender age of 23, won't clear waivers. He'll be scooped up instantly by contenders and crap teams instantly. The Pats OL is not very good, the 3 other RBs don't muster any forward progress when they try to make something happen, but Ridley CONSISTENTLY makes something out of nothing. Look at that bum Bolden against the Broncos, he had 1 good run against the Broncos and then he did nothing! 

Pats won't win with Bolden, Blount or Vareen as the feature back. They need Ridley to fix his issues in a hurry.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

I hate when Babe tries to force his asinine agendas. So because Ridley doesn't have great games against great rush defenses he's crap? Brady padded his stats against a bad Broncos defense, but is he crap because he won't throw 350 against The Ravens defense? 

Gimme a break, you're supposed to pad your stats against bad teams.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think he's got talent, but probably not as much talent as other people are claiming he has. I think he is a little quicker than your average back at his size - I'm not saying he is fast, but I'm just saying quick enough to succeed as a lead back at his size. I wouldn't go calling that special and I wouldn't go so far as to say that is not someting replaceable. People overrated BJGE around here too...how's he doing this year? He is ranked 162nd in YPC average, 33rd in yards per game, and 22nd in rushing yards...think about that..he is ranked 162nd out of all guys that carry the ball in the most meaningful stat for runners. And two years ago people were putting him into the hall of fame around here.

I don't think Ridley is as easy a fix as people think, I think he relies on pumping his arms and running a bit out of control for his speed (because he doesn't have much to spare). I think if you "fix him", you break him....just my opinion. I will go on record as saying he is the best running back we have, because I don't consider Vareen to be a feature back....I aslo think that's a problem.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Ridley is by far the best RB on the roster, perhaps even the entire division(I know that Spiller plays in our division ). 

He's far from done. BB likes a project and Stevan Ridley's risk is way less than how much he could reward the team. Look at how many people have chimed in on the topic from the homestead to a national scale. Everyone sees the potential for him, and I'm sure Bill sees it better than anyone.

The Pats need him more than he needs us. A back that talented, at the tender age of 23, won't clear waivers. He'll be scooped up instantly by contenders and crap teams instantly. The Pats OL is not very good, the 3 other RBs don't muster any forward progress when they try to make something happen, but Ridley CONSISTENTLY makes something out of nothing. Look at that bum Bolden against the Broncos, he had 1 good run against the Broncos and then he did nothing! 

Pats won't win with Bolden, Blount or Vareen as the feature back. They need Ridley to fix his issues in a hurry.

I do agree that he is the best runner on our roster, I will also say that is a problem. And I'd probably agree about the division, although that is not saying much and I might rather have Fred Jackson short term...at 32 at least he can catch and still give you over 4 yards a carry.

The thing with Ridley is I don't think he has speed to spare - and if you have him "change his running style", I think he may lose the little speed he has. He doesn't exactly strike me as a low pad level, power type either. Marshawn Lynch runs quite a bit like Ridley, he even does the same stupid spin move (although much better), the thing that separates those two is his pad level and power. Marshawn runs angry, it's like watching a car crash, but he's lower than Ridley.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

i think there's a good chance he's done as a starter, but he will get some play time still.  In addition, during the next off-season - if he can find another RB either in the draft or free agency, there's a good chance that he'll be gone after this season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from EastTraveler. Show EastTraveler's posts

Bottom line, his ball carring skills absolutely suck but he has better than average foot skills and avoidance abilities. I'm on the fence (or bench) as to whether or not he is workable but if he does in fact come around I think that in the long run it will be good for the Patriots. The million $$$ question is how short is his cable-tow and when will Belichick pull it in for good...

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I don't think Ridley is as easy a fix as people think, I think he relies on pumping his arms and running a bit out of control for his speed (because he doesn't have much to spare). I think if you "fix him", you break him....just my opinion. I will go on record as saying he is the best running back we have, because I don't consider Vareen to be a feature back....I aslo think that's a problem.

I suspect you are right on this. I also expect that if a guy like Benny ran with the reckless abandon Ridley runs with, he would appear "talented" as well.

In the end this shows Ridley will abandon ball security to boost his ypc.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I agree he is done. He will see some limited action this year and perhaps next (mistake right there). And he will not be retained. He will be picked up by some other team and play a limited role for one more year being paid peanuts. then go into the dustbin of NFL history.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Hey, guys!  Before condemning Ridley to the garbage heap, anyone remember Kevin Faulk, who had quite a good carrier with NEP but had fumblitis early in his carrier.  He got coaching, he took coaching, then executed.  You are going to see the same thing with Ridley.  He is the most talented RB the team has and needs to grind out those cold weather games; he just has to forget about those Sander-type spin moves - he isn't quick enough or slithery enough to pull it off.  

Ridley will see his work load reduced, as he works on his ball security issues, gets his confidence back and becomes the workhorse for the playoffs.  The decrease in his carries will go to Bolden and Vereen - not a bad thing against mediocre opposition that NEP will face the rest of the season (except Ravens).  

Red Sox 2013 World Series Champs.  Patriots 2014 Super Bowl Champs???!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to RSPCB73's comment:

Hey, guys!  Before condemning Ridley to the garbage heap, anyone remember Kevin Faulk, who had quite a good carrier with NEP but had fumblitis early in his carrier.  He got coaching, he took coaching, then executed.  You are going to see the same thing with Ridley.  He is the most talented RB the team has and needs to grind out those cold weather games; he just has to forget about those Sander-type spin moves - he isn't quick enough or slithery enough to pull it off.  

Ridley will see his work load reduced, as he works on his ball security issues, gets his confidence back and becomes the workhorse for the playoffs.  The decrease in his carries will go to Bolden and Vereen - not a bad thing against mediocre opposition that NEP will face the rest of the season (except Ravens).  

Red Sox 2013 World Series Champs.  Patriots 2014 Super Bowl Champs???!!!

Kevin Faulk was a change of pace pass catching third down back (and a great one), but if he had to carry the ball through the line of scrimmage regularly he would go right back to fumbling. With him it was a physical thing...his hands were small and his arms were short...the football looked like it was the size of a beach ball when he carried it. Kevin was used on screens, draws and as a receiver - he would carry it occasionally as a runner, but that was more as a change of pace/keeping them honest, type of thing.

I honestly think Faulk is one of the best third down backs of all time.

Sections
Shortcuts